• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb15| Giraffes are awesome, I love giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a problem with filler; it's well known that I like Bleach's nonsense and also had a good time with Blue Exorcist. My issue is when you build up these hyped up fights, throw in some annoying recaps, give us a taste of action as the plot FINALLY moves forward, and then throw a curve in the form of more filler right in the middle of Straw Hats vs CP9. I wouldn't care if the filler was in-between major arcs but this teasing gets annoying when you just want to see Luffy smash someone's face in.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Naruto Shippuden apparently gets really bad during its final major arc in the anime tons of filler breaking up the story

Including right now with the "New Chunin Exams" filler arc.
I checked the Naruto wiki, the last canon episode covered up to Chapter 662. Meaning there's only 38 or so chapters left of material. They are going to fucking DRAAAAAAAAAAG this shit out.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have a problem with filler; it's well known that I like Bleach's nonsense and also had a good time with Blue Exorcist. My issue is when you build up these hyped up fights, throw in some annoying recaps, give us a taste of action as the plot FINALLY moves forward, and then throw a curve in the form of more filler right in the middle of Straw Hats vs CP9. I wouldn't care if the filler was in-between major arcs but this teasing gets annoying when you just want to see Luffy smash someone's face in.

The Boss Luffy episodes are there because they aired during Xmas and New Years. Weeks that One Piece was keeping its slot but they absolutely did not want to burn actual canon content in. Same reason why Toonami has tossed in "filler" for the last couple of Decembers rather than its usual ongoing lineup, just on a different scale.

This is instead of what One Piece had done for the previous year's holiday season, which was to go off the air for about a month and a half, with a one hour Boss Luffy special airing one week. That year's schedule was:
12/11: Episode 253
12/18: Boss Luffy Special
12/25: OFF
1/1: OFF
1/8: OFF
1/15: OFF
1/22: Episode 254

But sure, we can complain about how terrible two weeks of silliness is, if you want.

edit 2: not going to get into a battle over one piece filler. The point is that I watch American programming so I don't care what the original Japanese reasoning for filler was.

Crocodile

The Boss Luffy episodes are there because they aired during Xmas and New Years. Weeks that One Piece was keeping its slot but they absolutely did not want to burn actual canon content in. Same reason why Toonami has tossed in "filler" for the last couple of Decembers rather than its usual ongoing lineup, just on a different scale.

This is instead of what One Piece had done for the previous year's holiday season, which was to go off the air for about a month and a half, with a one hour Boss Luffy special airing one week. That year's schedule was:

But sure, we can complain about how terrible two weeks of silliness is, if you want.

I mean I appreciate the context in why these episodes were created but that doesn't change the fact that these episodes are airing in March, years later from their original production, in America in the middle of major arc. I'll watch the episodes if I'm around and I hope I'll enjoy them but that doesn't change the fact that its still really annoying to have to lose two weeks of progress on the battle of Enies Lobby to filler. Same as the fact that I understand why those recaps were made (the show changed timeslots and channels years ago in Japan) but the episodes were still mostly worthless to us Toonami watchers (and ratings reflected that).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

None of that changes the fact that airing it mid-arc is still a bad idea NOW. The people watching at home aren't going to give a shit that One Piece aired that special and then took a month off 9 and a half years ago.

Seda

I realize I'm more entertained by character interaction than I am invested in plot progression, so a pacing break up isn't a big deal.

I'm just speaking selfishly by the way.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
None of that changes the fact that airing it mid-arc is still a bad idea NOW. The people watching at home aren't going to give a shit that One Piece aired that special and then took a month off 9 and a half years ago.

I don't see it any differently than something like Family Guy airing its Christmas episode in April in reruns. I mean, obviously One Piece is serialized and has a plot momentum that a show like Family Guy doesn't have, so it's a bit more disruptive to the flow of the show, but scheduling just works out that way sometimes.

The big difference between the recaps and something like the Boss Luffy episodes is that recaps are inherently tedious by nature. At least Boss Luffy is completely new material.

The recaps were not fine; they were bloated, boring, and killed ratings so bad the show got pushed back and the block cut (although the latter had more to do with AoT than OP). The only people who cared about them were One Piece super fans; casuals, who make up the vast majority of nielsen viewers, turned the channel. You could argue that the viewers counted are a small sample size but I think that it's representative.

I think you're jumping to conclusions by saying the recaps are what had One Piece pushed back. I'm sure those episodes didn't help especially with the month of movies bisecting the recaps for a month, but there are more factors to that.

BatDan

As a newbie to One Piece, should I already know what "Boss Luffy" is?

Not exactly.
Boss Luffy is a series of alternate universe episodes where the Straw Hats are Samurai in Edo period Japan. The first installment was a TV special that wasn't considered an actual episode, hence Funimation doesn't have the rights to it. Further installments were made into actual episodes.

Gorillaz

Everyone here agrees the dub is stellar. A few even prefer it. There's also been no censoring which is kind of mind blowing.

Nice might try to catch up on them

Also mangawd wall Cena fell again yesturday night at the PPV.....not looking good for the #fella

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/111898396212/we-need-your-help

We Need Your Help!

Toonami is starting up a sort of behind the scenes streaming podcast with the pictures and the internets.

We’re going to be answering some questions, and showing some clips amongst other talking parts, and we need you guys’ help.

1) What was the first anime you watched?

2) What general questions would you like to ask us? Keep it simple, and remember, we can’t talk about past, present, or future show acquisitions, so please don’t ask.

3) Send us the favorite promo that you’ve made yourself for a Toonami show. It’s cool if you haven’t made one, but if you have, send us a link!

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/111898396212/we-need-your-help

Toonami is starting up a sort of behind the scenes streaming podcast with the pictures and the internets.
We’re going to be answering some questions, and showing some clips amongst other talking parts, and we need you guys’ help.
1) What was the first anime you watched?
2) What general questions would you like to ask us? Keep it simple, and remember, we can’t talk about past, present, or future show acquisitions, so please don’t ask.
3) Send us the favorite promo that you’ve made yourself for a Toonami show. It’s cool if you haven’t made one, but if you have, send us a link!

Gotta make another promo.

EDIT: fckinbass

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn, guess I can't ask what past show acquisitions they'd like to presently see in the future.

I wonder if they'd let people submit promos made by others.

Seda

v2qPp8N.png

rg8S7bZ.png

One hour weekly show I guess

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Inferno Cop was hilarious in how cheap it was. Shame it never got dubbed considering each episode was only about 3-4 minutes long.

Raxus

Inferno Cop was hilarious in how cheap it was. Shame it never got dubbed considering each episode was only about 3-4 minutes long.

Another part of the charm was they had like 2-3 voice actors for everything. It really is triggers best work so far.

That's cool that they're doing a podcast. They must've seen all the other podcasts and figured that people want some stuff straight from The source. Will tune in for sure.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
PC master race is just like the waifu thing, a joke that for whatever reason caught on and was taken seriously by a small but vocal fragment.

BatDan

PC Master Race came from Yahtzee's video on The Witcher.

Supposedly he actually regrets making that joke (yes, it was a joke) because of how many people took it seriously.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
PC Master Race came from Yahtzee's video on The Witcher.

Supposedly he actually regrets making that joke (yes, it was a joke) because of how many people took it seriously.

I guess he underestimated the smugness that certain PC Players can have.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wonder if DBZ Kai repeat will do better next week due to word of mouth & such. Hopefully the Toonami promo will keep the numbers consistent, if not raise them a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom