• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb15| Giraffes are awesome, I love giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

The hilarious thing is that even anime not designed to sell manga (which means its designed to sell merch) still has a policy of massive episode title spoilers/opening spoilers. Gundam being the chief example.

Title spoilers are just dumbassery. Opening spoilers are called foreshadowing :p

Who told you guys I was going into season 2!! I haven't even decided that story line yet!

I was gonna make this joke :[

And yeah Ass Class is a weird manga, good but it's a slow burn for sure. It's basically the Karate Kid in manga form where you replace Karate with Assassinations and Mr Miagi with an Alien who plans to destroy the world.

Crocodile

Which is part of the problem. The way it flows is pretty jarring since you can tell it is going directly from the manga chapters. Things should smooth out when we hit an arc.

Due to some combination of
-Lack of skill, ambition and/or time
-Fear of backlash from the fans/publisher/author

the general feeling I get about a lot of manga to anime adaptations is that they stick so close to the source material that it becomes detrimental to the anime. Anime and manga are different mediums and thus have their own strengths and weaknesses. Many manga also start off damn slow before they "get good". I feel a lot of anime adaptations would be improved as television shows if they took a few more liberties with the source material. Somewhat related, there was a good discussion in the AnimeGaf thread about how a particular director was able to do especially strong work on YYH episodes and how his work stood in strong, positive contrast to his peers. A good director can really do a lot to elevate the source material if they have the skills (and time of course).

Jarate

Banned
Oh season 1 is killer, but wait until you see what the writers have in-store for season 2! It's a nailbiter, a real slow burn, a real humdinger.

B-Dubs season 1 felt so young and new and interesting . Im hoping it doesnt become boring and old as season 2 goes on

Due to some combination of
-Lack of skill, ambition and/or time
-Fear of backlash from the fans/publisher/author

the general feeling I get about a lot of manga to anime adaptations is that they stick so close to the source material that it becomes detrimental to the anime. Anime and manga are different mediums and thus have their own strengths and weaknesses. Many manga also start off damn slow before they "get good". I feel a lot of anime adaptations would be improved as television shows if they took a few more liberties with the source material. Somewhat related, there was a good discussion in the AnimeGaf thread about how a particular director was able to do especially strong work on YYH episodes and how his work stood in strong, positive contrast to his peers. A good director can really do a lot to elevate the source material if they have the skills (and time of course).

Your example of YYH is kind of funny because they simply massively cut the first arc of the anime to get to the battle shonen faster something I wish the Medaka Box anime had done as it probably would have been received better. I think a better example of what you're talking about can be seen in the manga -> anime of One Piece or Death Note. One Piece manga starts with Luffy's origin story where as in the anime we get a few episodes of Luffy doing more action/pirate things before flashing back to explain his origin and motivation. Deathnote also flips the order of events in the first episode opting to air them more chronologically showing Light's descent real time before Ryuuk shows up to establish the rules/plot where as the manga has Ryuuk show up and explain the rules/plot after he points out how many people Light has killed, and then we flash back to see how he started killing people. These small changes improve upon the manga story in a meaningful way without radically changing the plot or introducing new issues.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I got mine day of.

Playing it now.

Mwhahahaha.

Oh man, I've been playing Majora's Mask after my data went over to the New 3DSXL. New 3DSXL is godlike by the by, it's so sleek and everything is in the perfect spot. I love it so much even if it is the red one and not the black one.

BBboy20

Was it the collector's edition?
Mine was supposed to be delayed until Tuesday but I talked to CS and they upgraded it to same day shipping.
Yes. Ugh, it already shipped.

Oh man, I've been playing Majora's Mask after my data went over to the New 3DSXL. New 3DSXL is godlike by the by, it's so sleek and everything is in the perfect spot. I love it so much even if it is the red one and not the black one.
Dude, you gotta make comparisons if you still have an old3DS.

BBboy20

Damn that sucks. I guess I caught if before it shipped.

The CE is pretty damn small though. Kinda disappointing next to the MM LE.
I never grew up with MM and even I really like the statue. One Fry in Sac already sold out but the other never contacted me back if they still have any (phone numbers just go to some central automated machine).

I almost bit on the PSTV Amazon deal, but ended up cancelling my order.

Instead I spend almost as much on fighting games in the flash sale! Button Masher for life!

Jintor

Weeaboo.jpg

So, I found some HD episodes of Bebop around Adult Swim's episode website.....seems like they had episode previews.

90e0f.png

Shame they couldn't continue.

(I might be late, I dunno.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom