• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say drop to it to Yamcha tier. If you're not giving Tree of Might enough credit, than you're giving Return of Cooler too much credit.

we might still go through and fine-tune the rankings and ratings once all is said and done honestly. i actually haven't seen all of these things yet and context can be pretty important

I'm still kinda on the fence about the rating for that one, but we both really hate the Broly movies.

Yeah I'm not much of a fan of any of the Broly movies. First one is ok but all the humor in it is terrible. Second one is awful until Gohan shows up and then becomes ok. Third one I can barely remember anything from.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I own Nitroplus.
Have you played it online? The 1 major time I tried, The Lobby I kept making continually closed on it's own while I was training in it (.....). Then I got into a Mirror match of Ethicka VS herself, and the other player way outplayed me in lag for the first round, and before I could try getting used to it in R2, the fight dropped.

Maybe it's a lot like Aquapazza, where player matches can lead to wildly different results... *shrug*

I'm a very obvious "SAB-CA" on PSN, haha. We should fight sometime!

Puruzi

Banned
tumblr_o2cn6gMW8w1qz7kjgo1_1280.jpg
so I just saw that that was the original character design sketch for the Scooby Doo gang all the way back in 1966

how the fuck

this looks better than most modern cartoons

what went wrong

so I just saw that that was the original character design sketch for the Scooby Doo gang all the way back in 1966

how the fuck

what went wrong

I don't know, it looks just like how the "Scooby Doo, Where Are You?" designs would look when not having to be dumbed down for TV animation at the time. I don't see anything surprising. Maybe you're just surprised by them being in more dynamic poses than usual?

On another note, the opening for the new Powerpuff Girls is pretty good. As a warning, it has the same opening narration but a different song, which could be a bit jarring. It's a shame that the actual show clips aren't as promising.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

what went wrong

They got adapted into the Hanna Barbera animation style, I guess. They are quite dynamic there,, and everyone has a much higher air of personality there than their normal "Scoob and the Gang" side-shots.

It's funny that the show was made to downplay the rise of Superhero Shows, because those designs are very ... heroic.

I ended up rather enjoying Mystery Inc. Most refreshed designs since then have felt a bit flat to me.

ckohler

Man, that Shaggy looks like a downright cool dude. Maybe the original vision was to make them all cooler but then they went the wacky, comedy route.

I just realized I never used Otacon's "Do you think love can bloom even on a battlefield?" line during Akame Ga Kill.

I had so many chances! I'm so disappointed in myself!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
man dbz is garbage

this motherfucker is on his sixth form right now

like did toriyama have to stretch this out for some reason?

Jarate

Banned
man dbz is garbage

this motherfucker is on his sixth form right now

like did toriyama have to stretch this out for some reason?

Kid Buu is probably his best form TBH

although, idk why Gohan dissapears after being saved from Buu's stomach, he is still by far the most powerful being in existence and would be able to absolutely annihilate Kid Buu

Well at least Samurai Jack is coming back. That's a show with a distinctive style and beautiful backgrounds.

What really bothers me is Family Guy (god here we go) because every single fucking scene with people standing (LOTS) looks like this

WHAT IS THAT POSE????? WHY DOES NO ONE HAVE ANY PERSONALITY IN THEIR STANCE???

KILL ME

Raxus

Like I said, CN's style is so homogeneous now it makes me sad. If you took the Powerpuff Girls out of that I would have probably thought it was Steven Universe.

I feel this complaint only has merit when comparing character designs. When it comes to the entire shows it is super easy to tell each of the CN shows apart.

What really bothers me is Family Guy (god here we go) because every single fucking scene with people standing (LOTS) looks like this
It's pretty bad, which makes the random chicken fights really stand out since the animation department actually gets to animate something for once.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It doesn't help it looks like a decent amount of shows use Flash or whatever cheap program they can use to make more profit. That would explain why Johnny Test lasted so damn long....

I feel this complaint only has merit when comparing character designs. When it comes to the entire shows it is super easy to tell each of the CN shows apart.

That's probably true but to be honest I haven't watched any CN stuff regularly for like...five years. I've seen one episode of SU, a good number of Adventure Time and none of stuff like Gumball and they all start to run together at some point.

Just looking at the character designs for PPG doesn't fill me with any sort of confidence in how the show will play out. Nobody in the show moves like they aren't stiff cardboard

It doesn't help it looks like a decent amount of shows use Flash or whatever cheap program they can use to make more profit. That would explain why Johnny Test lasted so damn long....

Flash can be great. Look at Wakfu or Motorcity. Blame the creator, not the tools.

But yes as far as bland, uninspired and sad animation Johnny Test has to be king.

Jarate

Banned
American animation is pretty bleh. You basically have shitty Family Guy clones and shitty Adventure Time clones in terms of animation and style.

Im not that big of a fan of "slice of life" shows like almost all of them basically are. And the insistence to constantly put in "ships" and hint at them is just fan service but to other creepy people. (Idk why people dont find this as creepy as I do)

Flash can be great. Look at Wakfu or Motorcity. Blame the creator, not the tools.

But yes as far as bland, uninspired and sad animation Johnny Test has to be king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hxIi8j3QR0

I still love American animation but I don't find stuff to be excited about hardly ever.

The last was Motorcity or Sym-bionic Titan, and Korra I guess which I can appreciate from a pure visual standpoint.

At least Samurai Jack is back.

I think that's why I'm more drawn to anime, because there are like fifty shows a season, which total up to around 200~ a year so you would have to be extremely picky to not at least find a few that seem interesting. I should check out more European shit.

Fuck Johnny Test. Every part of that show was annoying.

Also I think my episode of Samurai Jack is between the episode where he fights the blind archers.

And the hunted house episode.

I can't decide between the two.

Seda

And the insistence to constantly put in "ships" and hint at them is just fan service but to other creepy people. (Idk why people dont find this as creepy as I do)

I think this largely on the side of the audience.

"Oh, these two characters (whatever gender, doesn't matter), show some care and consideration for each other, maybe even open up emotionally at times.

Clearly They Must Be Romantically Interested In Each Other !!1!'

ckohler

While I'm not a big Samurai Jack fan or anything, I hope they don't go crazy the the new series by changing it too much. It seems anytime people just want more of what they loved, creators decide to reinvent things by using a new style or making it CGI or something.

Keep in mind we've seen nothing except for a silhouetted promo shot.

Like I said, CN's style is so homogeneous now it makes me sad. If you took the Powerpuff Girls out of that I would have probably thought it was Steven Universe.

You can briefly see it in the theme song I linked, and it's even more glaring in the preview clips that have floated out there - the PPG look like they are guesting in some other CN show, because everyone else is drawn differently, while the PPG are in their usual style.

It looks odd - at least to me.

Jarate

Banned
The only thing I hope for a new Samurai Jack is that Jack finally gets to murder humans and not robots

God I hated that as a kid

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

"Oh, these two characters (whatever gender, doesn't matter), show some care and consideration for each other, maybe even open up emotionally at times.

"THEREFORE, I WILL DRAW PICTURES & WRITE FANFICS OF THEM TOGETHER, MAKING THEM THE OFFICIAL TRUE PAIRING! I DON'T CARE WHAT THE FRANCHISE SAYS, IT'S REAL TO ME, DAMMIT!!"

Raxus

American animation is pretty bleh. You basically have shitty Family Guy clones and shitty Adventure Time clones in terms of animation and style.

Im not that big of a fan of "slice of life" shows like almost all of them basically are. And the insistence to constantly put in "ships" and hint at them is just fan service but to other creepy people. (Idk why people dont find this as creepy as I do)

You clearly aren't watching much animation then.

Bojack Horseman, Steven Universe, Bob's Burgers (especially that sexy dancing), Gravity Falls and other shows put in effort and get dismissed so early. It is kind of a shame. I've really made a push to get more American animation noticed but most of GAF seems to write it off.
You can briefly see it in the theme song I linked, and it's even more glaring in the preview clips that have floated out there - the PPG look like they are guesting in some other CN show, because everyone else is drawn differently, while the PPG are in their usual style.

It looks odd - at least to me.
I see the complaints in the powerpuff girls especially outside the main cast. I will give it the benefit of the doubt until I see some more episodes. I was more having a knee jerk reaction to the "all cartoons look the same" aspect.

Jarate

Banned
You clearly aren't watching much animation then.

Bojack Horseman, Steven Universe, Bob's Burgers (especially that sexy dancing), Gravity Falls and other shows put in effort and get dismissed so early. It is kind of a shame. I've really made a push to get more American animation noticed but most of GAF seems to write it off.

I watch Bob's Burgers and Gravity Falls, Ill eventually get too Bojack and Steven Universe. Really the only ones I'd say in that groupm that has good animation are Gravity Falls, and Steven Universe (at times). I like Clarence and and Gumball a lot too. It's just in terms of genre all of those are basically slice of life, except for Gravity Falls (which is still very slice of life heavy) There's not a lot of diversity of content

Raxus

I watch Bob's Burgers and Gravity Falls, Ill eventually get too Bojack and Steven Universe. Really the only ones I'd say in that groupm that has good animation are Gravity Falls, and Steven Universe (at times). I like Clarence and and Gumball a lot too. It's just in terms of genre all of those are basically slice of life, except for Gravity Falls (which is still very slice of life heavy) There's not a lot of diversity of content

That has sadly become the norm since action shows (aka the shows that showcased animation) became so expensive that they have been pushed out of existence by all the networks aside from a few CG shows notably Star Wars: Rebels and TMNT 2012. Korra and Young Justice were really a dying breed.

Mizerman

Johnny Test...can go die in a fire.

Or the worst version...

"Oh look, two characters that are bitter rivals and likely hate each other. They wanna love each other!"

There's one particular trope that I associate with romance anime that is just the bane of my existence.

Generally what happens is something inconsequential happens to one person in a relationship.
His or her partner notices, instantly makes a huge assumption like "Oh, he must be cheating on me!" based on nothing, and then spends the rest of the episode/or episodes avoiding the issue/person like a child.

Use your words! YOUR WORDS DAMMIT!

Seda

There's one particular trope that I associate with romance anime that is just the bane of my existence.

Generally what happens is something inconsequential happens to one person in a relationship.
His or her partner notices, instantly makes a huge assumption like "Oh, he must be cheating on me!", and then spends the rest of the episode/or episodes avoiding the issue/person like a child.

Use your words! YOUR WORDS DAMMIT!

Not just relationships, more general than that.

How many times has conflict arisen because one character doesn't give another the chance to speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom