• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizerman

MKX pretty much put the nail in the coffin with it's PC userbase though, right in time for Capcom to come swooping in.

And god knows when Tekken is finally gonna come out.

*Memories of Tekken 6*

That was a wait...

WVW69i6xq60AOFePwp

WVW69i6z0hcL82z8OJ

LATER

Love it!

Raxus

It is nice the cloud of negativity is lifting on ToonamiGAF. Let us never speak of AgK! after this week and try and make this thread much more positive.

Until then,

LATER

FINALLY. A Fire Emblem Fates commercial on Toonami (okay not really, after the block. Still...). Unless it aired previously.

Now I can sleep comfortably.

Had a really bad stomach ache and woke up right at around 2

What did I miss guys?

The end of the Sentai Power Hour. From here on in, I think it's going to be okay. It's going to be okay.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Gonna stay up for the sketch. I know it's going to be a good one.

EDIT: Dear lord, that's a sweet pixel sketch. The awful dead couple frozen til time, dead Mr. Detective and that split head girl. Finally, pixel Fuu taking a bath. Fuckin' sweet.

SAB CA is my hero. There I said it. I bid you adieu, ToonamiGAF.

In pixels, I can get things here on time! Haha. I'm quite glad you like it! Been a few months since I've done a pixel dump!

Amazing, I almost can't

Deal with it.

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!

*guitar* I.T.Y!

*Memories of Tekken 6*

That was a wait...

Love it!

Tekken still goes that "Main game made for arcade, console release with almost another games worth of content!" path. Certain game releases are trying to make you miss that by releasing on console for console prices with slightly better than Arcade content day 1...

Anywho, wohoo! XD

This is super good!

Chou-Arigatou! Or something like that.

AgK review:

it was the most mediocre anime i've ever seen and i've already forgotten i watched it

Forgot what?! *blanks*

Jarate: You missed Goku and Krillin with shades!! And Reiko speaking in a cute voice with a splithead! Samurai Beatbox! Other than that, it's mostly a blank... ;)

Mizerman

Had a really bad stomach ache and woke up right at around 2

What did I miss guys?

Last time on Days of Our Edge

Akame and Esdeath fought. Akame revels her generic trump card with even more generic voice acting. Esdeath gets cut, then freezes both herself and Tatsumi and shatters into pieces. Leone kills the Honest minister, but not before losing her Imperial Arms to an Anti Imperial Arms and got shot 6006 times. She later dies in an alley because seeking help was a venture beyond comprehension.

Line_HTX

Bottom three on the right look great pixelated! Well done!

OTP all iced up, maybe it could've been better with Reiko Tamura's maniacal laughter running before passing by that random drunk couple, and of course you would have Fuu taking a bath, you!

Tekken still goes that "Main game made for arcade, console release with almost another games worth of content!" path. Certain game releases are trying to make you miss that by releasing on console for console prices with slightly better than Arcade content day 1...

Anywho, wohoo! XD

I'm having my fill watching tourney streams and learning a lot of different changes. At least I'm glad no one is talking about how potentially OP Lucky Chloe is and more focus is on the new characters and the system changes.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You mean I missed my favorite canon DBZ picture, krillin with Shades D:

I tried to capture in pixels well, just for you! ^_^

Oh well. Here's some Esdeath & Akame cosplay to celebrate its edgy conclusion.
That's pretty good effort there. Yuriko Tiger's cosplay is amazing as well.

... IT WAS ALL WORTH IT!

Bottom three on the right look great pixelated! Well done!

OTP all iced up, maybe it could've been better with Reiko Tamura's maniacal laughter running before passing by that random drunk couple, and of course you would have Fuu taking a bath, you!

Thanks, thanks!

I did think about going with running Takura, but empty head was just so good, ha. I totally planned to do a 2nd things with Champloo, but playing around with steamy transparency and underwater nudity was just too fun! I don't think I've gotten to do something like that since one of the Inuyasha pixel dumps...

I'm having my fill watching tourney streams and learning a lot of different changes. At least I'm glad no one is talking about how potentially OP Lucky Chloe is and more focus is on the new characters and the system changes.

People aren't whining about balance issues? BRILLIANT! I have the bad habit of paying no attention to Tekken until it's like a month away from me being able to play, heh.

BBboy20

And now we reach The Final Edge.

It's been a pleasure, ladies and gentlemen.

twUTuWx.gif
jdcB2b7.gif

Let's get the Dimension W hype train started!

a45b32f605fea111e9b9053a2d52fa30ef1538fd_hq.gif
Chris Sabat Hype!

image.php

I havent managed to see any of the show. I see Pearl avatars/gifs everywhere though.
You're missing out.

He's heating up!
HE'S ON FIRE!
He's buuurrrning uuuuuuup!

I swear this generation is cursed. Nearly every major game has launched with some issues. I rarely buy games new anymore.
Stick with niche Japanese titles like I have since the Xbox fiasco of 2013.

MKX pretty much put the nail in the coffin with it's PC userbase though, right in time for Capcom to come swooping in.

And god knows when Tekken is finally gonna come out.
Let alone TekkenXStreetFighter.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Morning everyone. The EDGE finally ended (for now, who knows what other edgy shit will appear)

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
Training! 3 years in one episode. This really shows me the difference in training arcs between Dragon Ball and later series like Naruto and Bleach. DB training is just "lots of punching and energy, with extreme conditions in some cases". Later series is a lot of talking and exposition...

Parayste:
Pretty good episode. Tamura shows how badass she's become by easily disposing three Parasytes easily. Then she realizes she's been infected with "humanity" thanks to her baby. Willing to kill the Detective when he was about to kill him. This feels like another series that tends to improve when the protagonist isn't around. Weird...

Samurai Champloo:
Anachronistic beatboxing all up in this place. Surprise Jin backstory too.

Naruto Shippuden:
The 100th episode is mostly still images and a lot of boring talking. I still don't understand why this arc needs to be 24 episodes long. Fuck.

One Piece:
Luffy finally goes Second Gear after wasting time not doing it. This arc is dumb and boring. So glad it ends next week.

Akame ga Kill:
And thus Edge ga Edge finally ends, in the most boring way possible. How do you make a final fight so boring? Oh right, not giving a shit about either of the characters. Akame's Trump Card makes no sense since she established early on that she can die even when cleaning her sword, but then she can just resist the poison and that somehow gives her a power boost.
Esdeath goes out still thirsty. Shattering herself with Tatsumi instead of dying to poison. Pah.
Then they kill Leone for no reason, revealing that the Minister has an Imperial Arm that can nullify other Imperial Arms so they can remove her healing factor, and then she pulls a Gai Yuki and goes to visit old friends and bleed out instead of going to the hospital. What kind of death is that?!

Akame ga Kill is not a good show. It's written like a terrible fanfic by an edgy-as-fuck teenager that doesn't understand gravitas and tone (often going from grisly murder to comedy in a way that provides whiplash). Characters come and go with little development and you're left not really caring when they die (Sheele being the worst example). The animation really isn't special, at times it's boring as hell. A lot of this isn't helped by the awful 90's-level voice acting that I'm stunned Sentai Filmworks gets away with. They need severely better directors and some better voice actors.
The manga isn't much better, especially when the manga has Wild Hunt, the group of rapists that has a member that targets specific people. I have no fucking clue what Takahiro was thinking, but at least they were taken out fairly quickly. Plus, the series is in the final arc, let's see if it goes the same stupid places as the anime.

Regiruler

This ending song is an abomination.

We must make sure future generations never find it.
Did you people never play JSRF or something.

It's really just a pop-ier version of something you'ld find on there.

I liked the final fight in AgK for its better music and fantastic animation. Like with one punch man, I don't need the stakes to be geniune for the fight to be fun to watch. It was leagues better than anything SAO put out, and for that alone it's a better show.

Grexeno

The last two episodes of Parasyte have demonstrated that, for me at least, the show is better when the focus is on the parasites, rather than the humans.

Raxus

The last two episodes of Parasyte have demonstrated that, for me at least, the show is better when the focus is on the parasites, rather than the humans.

Some good news. Apart from (2?) episodes. Guess where the focus is from here on out.

Minor spoilers for Parasyte:
Next episode is my personal high point for the series. The rest is pretty solid IIRC as the detective arc ends and shifts to the final arc.

Did you people never play JSRF or something.

It's really just a pop-ier version of something you'ld find on there.

I liked the final fight in AgK for its better music and fantastic animation. Like with one punch man, I don't need the stakes to be geniune for the fight to be fun to watch. It was leagues better than anything SAO put out, and for that alone it's a better show.

Uhhhh

That song isn't really like Jet Set Radio stuff just because it's in Japanese and it's kinda dance-y.

And, like, if nothing else, SAO had some fantastic fight scenes that blew this Akame ga Kill one out of the water in terms of music and animation, especially animation (which honestly wasn't much to write home about in this AGK episode and I kinda suspect they put most of their effort into Tatsumi's last stand).

Regiruler

Definitely. For such "logical" creatures, they're interesting in their unpredictability (which may intentional or due to shoddy writing, w/e), which is a good source of drama and anticipation.
Uhhhh

That song isn't really like Jet Set Radio stuff just because it's in Japanese and it's kinda dance-y.

And, like, if nothing else, SAO had some fantastic fight scenes that blew this Akame ga Kill one out of the water in terms of music and animation, especially animation (which honestly wasn't much to write home about in this AGK episode and I kinda suspect they put most of their effort into Tatsumi's last stand).

I didn't like any of the fight scenes in SAO at all. I think AgK has better use of movement and dynamic situations thanks to the characters power set (note: this doesn't inherently mean I think non-power fights can't be good: Champloo making use of its backdrop items to change the flow of its fights is a good example).
On the animation standpoint, the fight was best right before akame used the curse mark with the aerial components. I have a weakness for good ground slams.

And if nothing else, SAO relied too much on time skips to its "interesting" fights, which kills a lot of buildup.

Raxus

Been a while but I wanted to bring back REVIEW TIME!

Let's start with a retrospective on Akame ga Kill!

Let me preface this by saying I like to be positive about things. It is an inward decision that I hope (usually) comes across so if I am hating on something it is because I have a hell of a good reason in my back pocket for hating on something. In the case of Akame ga Kill! is it took a disposable, but serviceable, anime and screwed everything up.

Let's start with some background, Akame ga Kill! (AgK) was written by Takahiro (Taka) and for the first half of the series the content is basically page for page faithful to the content of the manga. The point where it differs (for better and for so much worse, YMMV) is when the Wild Hunt, a second group of big bads, shows up along with the Jaegars (team Esdeath) to fight Night Raid. So yes it basically read like a trashy novel but gosh darn it if there wasn't some value in the cheesy edge including a budding relationship between Tatsumi and Mine and some really cool fights. All of which were cut out. The Mine stuff REALLY sticks out when she decides she will save Tatsumi by herself if necessary. I am not calling the material a guilty pleasure even but it was definitely already hurt in the adaptation which led the anime to go in with one massive strike against it when we get to....

The anime. At this point I want to talk about the sub and dub. Particularly how much the dub fucked this show of having any semblance of being any good. Let's start with comedic timing. Sure it was trite anime jokes but at least the sub VA's tried to sell it. With the horrific direction and casting for the characters in AgK a bunch of punch lines are screwed up and with comedy being all about timing it led to humor being ACTIVELY painful to watch. Namely CUT IT OFF being a front runner for encapsulating everything that went wrong here.

Hopefully you are beginning to see the seams of where this all fell apart. You already had an anime without much of a strong premise and you heap on horrific acting, script and direction both for the actors and the anime and I began to see why everyone became so vehement about this show. It makes me regret Sentai didn't premiere with Log Horizon since even with its bad voice acting, the writing is much stronger as to not collapse so hard as it did with AgK. Ever since episode 1 of the dub your heart just sinks when you hear each of the dub cast introduced. With a handful of exceptions they come off as cardboard to a plank of wood to outright awful with few exceptions. It is impossible to source what exactly went wrong since it feels like nearly everything went wrong in very different ways. Akame's monotone made an already 2D character even flatter, they really overplayed the gay stereotype with Stylish, I have NO FUCKING CLUE what they were thinking with Syura (Scar wannabe with an X on his face).

This leads the the cardinal sin of Akame ga Kill! and, in particular, its dub. It's worthless. I don't say that lightly either especially considering what has aired before it. SAO was so baffling in its stupidity it was almost fascinating and it had a production budget to back things up. GXP is like everything wrong with harems and comedy wrapped into one little anime. Thundercats showed some competence and then proceeded to shit the bed. AgK showed none of these things and everything was so middle of the road from production to voice acting that it was difficult to remain positive about it when it aired. There was a decent fight or two sprinkled here and there and justice girl but overall it was an unending torrent of BLEH that refused to justify its existence on the block. I, sadly, could see where the hatred came from.

Overall, the best thing that can be said is that it is over and anything that replaces it will be looked upon MUCH more favorably as a result. I joke about it getting the rerun slot but the sad fact of the matter is I am 99% sure nobody would even give a shit to stick around. This is by far the darkest I remember Toonami ever being due to hitting never ending filler and having to put up with this show. Thankfully things are looking bright for the future. Rest in piece Akame ga Kill!, you will not be missed sadly. May your death not be in vein and reign in a period of more positivity on ToonamiGAF to start enjoying anime again.

Without further ado let's review the rest of the block.

Dragonball Z

Did someone say exposition dump? In 30 minutes we go through 3 years of training. That is like 10 minutes a year. Not much to say about this aside from Yamcha taking eternal L's all episode and spousal abuse. It was an alright episode. I miss driving cars...

Parasyte
Arguably the best episode of the night if it didn't have stiff competition for some other show. The detective arc is my favorite arc and it warms my heart everyone is enjoying it as well. The series does indeed improve when it focuses on the titular parasytes and it helps we have reached a point the parasytes have all become varied personality wise to actually relate to somewhat on an emotional level.

Samurai Champloo
Surprise! Jin episode. Much like Wantanabe, we begin to slowly peel away what drives each of the characters and it is wrapped in a really funny entertaining episode to boot. The payoff with the woman being married to such a bozo was delicious delicious frosting on an already delicious cake (I like chocolate so I am am saying it is a chocolate cake dammit!)

Naruto
I'd make a strong argument this is the worst episode of the night. Why? Because there is nothing worse than existing to just waste my fucking time.

One Piece
Overall a pretty meh to bad episode. I have a joke waiting in the wings when this arc ends but it is a shame these villains have done the remarkable feat of having almost nothing notable about them. I can see why ManGod hated this so much. Me? I am just apathetic and glad we are about to head back to canon. Yohohohohoho.

Cat Video the Music Video.

Kill la Kill
giphy.gif

Watch Broad City.

RANKINGS!

Awesome Tier

Parasyte
Samurai Champloo

Mediocre Tier

DBZ
Cat video the music video

Bad Tier

One Piece

Fuck you too Tier

Naruto

Watch Broad City Tier

Kill la Kill
Watch Broad City
ilana-broad-city-dance-1422317984.gif

Dead and Buried and Grave Site Paved Over With Concrete to Make Way for a Highway for Better Anime to Cross...Tier

Akame ga Killed!

AgK ended as well as expected. The whole thing felt hollow. I suppose the most positive thing I can say is that those 24 episodes went by fast.

Esdeath and Twatsumi can finally chill out.

Seda

As I said a few times, the fights in AGK were Bleach to me. While there was some motion/dynamics to the combat as such, the dialogue/banter (in addition to the dub) was incredibly off-putting. Trump cards, keikakus, and the like. It also felt similar in a way that the cast of characters, both protagonists and (especially) antagonists, was probably just too large, diluting both empathy and significance to several of the episodes.

Good riddance to that bad show. I can't even mention its name because like a boogeyman, it might just come back to haunt us. The characters were dumb, the VA was absolutely pathetic, fight scenes were just lackluster. The only redeeming thing about it was how it killed each character I hated however only to be reminded that the horrible ride wasn't over just yet.

Just good riddance. I hope it never shows its face ever again on the block and if it does, I definitely am not rewatching a second of it.

I know I said this before but getting broadcast dubs really opens the door to how many shows can air on Toonami. Guessing which shows will air just became harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom