• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

It's not a big gap actually.

I think the training was broken up into 2 episodes and one episode for the car filler.

Just checked. Instant transmission and training were split into 2 episodes. Plus the best filler episode of the series.

Oh shit I beat ManGod for top of the page action. Time to post a gif!

giphy.gif

Am I doing it right ManGod?

Edit: Ok enough Broad City jokes, it is all Dimension W hype now.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
If you had a choice between this Naruto filler arc and Tenchi Muyo GXP, which would you pick?

Seda

I (kindanotreally) remember this one episode of GXP focusing the the pink-haired pseudo-villain where everything moved at a mile-a-minute and nothing made any sense at all. The thread that night was pretty hilarious in the old days of ToonamiGAF.

I (kindanotreally) remember this one episode of GXP focusing the the pink-haired pseudo-villain where everything moved at a mile-a-minute and nothing made any sense at all. The thread that night was pretty hilarious in the old days of ToonamiGAF.

Oh man, I wish I had been here for it.

Also I can't afford Fire Emblem Fates guys.

The sadness is real.

Akame ga Kill was a good concept flawed by poor execution, by-the-numbers generic characterization, and empty fights.
The problem with shows that love to kill off their main cast one-by-one is that it doesn't matter if you can't make your audience care for the characters. The deaths of Bulat and Tatsumi were the only ones that had any effect on me, even though the former felt too similar to Kamina's death and the latter just happened for the sake of killing the MC.

It's amazing how my opinion of the show changed drastically from watching the dub. It went from being a fairly enjoyable action show to a weekly chore.

Mizerman

Akame ga Kill was a good concept flawed by poor execution, by-the-numbers generic characterization, and empty fights.
The problem with shows that love to kill off their main cast one-by-one is that it doesn't matter if you can't make your audience care for the characters. The deaths of Bulat and Tatsumi were the only ones that had any effect on me, even though the former felt too similar to Kamina's death and the latter just happened for the sake of killing the MC.

It doesn't help that Bulat's Japanese VA is Kamina as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aside from Leone dying from a delayed death & that sudden power-up for Akame, the final episode was just rather boring. The fight would've been so much better if I actually cared about each character, but I just didn't.

Aside from a few episodes (i.e. the Justice Girl fights), I don't want to bother rewatching this series, & if it does get the rerun slot, I'm skipping it.

Seda

It's amazing how my opinion of the show changed drastically from watching the dub. It went from being a fairly enjoyable action show to a weekly chore.

Would you say the poor dub 'ruined' the show, or is it more just hearing the dialogue being spoken helps to realize it's quality, regardless of acting. (I realize the lines change a bit)

I know I've seen the sentiment 'I didn't realize how silly this is until I heard it out loud' before.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I would argue sometimes hearing something being said over reading it can change your opinion on it. It's why when it comes to comedic anime, you might get more of a laugh over hearing it compared to reading it while it's being said in a different language.

Maybe it's the idea of "omg someone just said this out loud" over "omg someone just wrote this". I mean, we laugh at lines at "I'M GONNA BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF SATAN" & "WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO, KILL ME WITH YOUR TITS?!" because someone actually got paid to voice those lines and was taking their job seriously as to how to emote those words.

Mizerman

I would argue sometimes hearing something being said over reading it can change your opinion on it. It's why when it comes to comedic anime, you might get more of a laugh over hearing it compared to reading it while it's being said in a different language.

Maybe it's the idea of "omg someone just said this out loud" over "omg someone just wrote this". I mean, we laugh at lines at "I'M GONNA BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF SATAN" & "WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO, KILL ME WITH YOUR TITS?!" because someone actually got paid to voice those lines and was taking their job seriously as to how to emote those words.

Or the iconic "EXCUSE ME, BITCH?!"

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
"I'm gonna beat the shit out of Satan" is an absolutely amazing line of dialogue

Would you say the poor dub 'ruined' the show, or is it more just hearing the dialogue being spoken helps to realize it's quality, regardless of acting. (I realize the lines change a bit)

I know I've seen the sentiment 'I didn't realize how silly this is until I heard it out loud' before.

Yeah, it would have to be the bolded part. The low-energy line delivery for some characters didn't help either.

Or the iconic "EXCUSE ME, BITCH?!"

Lol. This line was so unironically hammy that I refuse to believe it wasn't done on purpose.

I didn't like any of the fight scenes in SAO at all. I think AgK has better use of movement and dynamic situations thanks to the characters power set (note: this doesn't inherently mean I think non-power fights can't be good: Champloo making use of its backdrop items to change the flow of its fights is a good example).
On the animation standpoint, the fight was best right before akame used the curse mark with the aerial components. I have a weakness for good ground slams.

And if nothing else, SAO relied too much on time skips to its "interesting" fights, which kills a lot of buildup.

I don't really see how when they are by and large the same kind of fighting, with the main difference being Akame ga Kill's reliance on bombastic flourishes to mask its shortcomings in animation and choreography; it goes for the big hits over and over again because it knows that that's the only way it's going to create an impact and it gets tiresome very quickly. It also completely ignores how Akame's sword works. And SAO only really used timeskips in the first arc, which also isn't where the series's good fights were since the majority of those relied on still images and speed lines.

Regiruler

The dub is dumb, but really it's best to just not pay attention to the dialogue at all.
I don't really see how when they are by and large the same kind of fighting, with the main difference being Akame ga Kill's reliance on bombastic flourishes to mask its shortcomings in animation and choreography; it goes for the big hits over and over again because it knows that that's the only way it's going to create an impact and it gets tiresome very quickly. It also completely ignores how Akame's sword works. And SAO only really used timeskips in the first arc, which also isn't where the series's good fights were since the majority of those relied on still images and speed lines.

It was absent in the GGO arc but it was most definitely used when they went into the fantasy world again: the dungeon in the arc had a bunch of skipping around that lead to weird pacing. To be fair, mook killing is usually boring, but the way they cut it makes you feel like you're missing events.

And they really aren't the same type of fights: AgK focuses a lot more on character movement, like in a video game. SAO tries to make it a battle of "weapon technique" (outside of its fairly droll dungeon bosses, but to be fair AgK had the same problem with all of its "Danger Beasts"), and ironically AgK is the more fun one to watch. And even if introducing all the new elements is complete bullshit, it serves to keep the dynamic changing and unpredictable.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The dub could have been done by Aniplex or Funimation and it wouldn't have improved the story one iota. Some of the comedy bits would have been better and the acting would have improved, so it's not nothing but it couldn't have elevated the show much.

TUSR

Banned
The dub reaffirmed my disdain of the AKG adaption. But only because it was a pseudo-rewatch for me.

Even though I felt the VA work was poor, the best dub would be unable to solve the fundamental issues AKG has.

Moaradin

For me, the dub does both. The sub still had bad dialogue, but the good performances hides it a bit. Good VA goes a long way in making things much more exciting and tense even when the writing is just as bad. If the VA sounds bored, why will I care?

As SAO proved, good voice acting can't save bad writing.

It doesn't save it but it certainly helps. Yuuki's death scene was effective because of the really strong performances. Would I care at all if it had Sentai tier voice acting?

It was absent in the GGO arc but it was most definitely used when they went into the fantasy world again: the dungeon in the arc had a bunch of skipping around that lead to weird pacing. To be fair, mook killing is usually boring, but the way they cut it makes you feel like you're missing events.

And they really aren't the same type of fights: AgK focuses a lot more on character movement, like in a video game. SAO tries to make it a battle of "weapon technique" (outside of its fairly droll dungeon bosses, but to be fair AgK had the same problem with all of its "Danger Beasts"), and ironically AgK is the more fun one to watch. And even if introducing all the new elements is complete bullshit, it serves to keep the dynamic changing and unpredictable.

I'm not sure how this is described as not focusing a lot on character movement. The moments of actual swordplay in both are rather similar; the main difference between the two, apart from the wide gap in animation quality, is that SAO lacks the constant lunging attacks that Akame ga Kill uses as a shortcut to make it seem powerful and impactful. I don't think powers and environmental stuff are required to craft a good action scene, either, since plenty of stuff gets by just fine on just choreography and camera work. And frankly I don't see where the buildup to Esdeath vs. Akame is supposed to be compared to SAO, either, since Esdeath only just showed up and then they decided to fight almost immediately afterwards.

As SAO proved, good voice acting can't save bad writing.

I mean, I think the last arc is kind of crap but I think the voice acting pretty much single-handedly sold the purple haired chick's death scene. Can't really think of any other instances where that sort of thing happened, though, and I think the good voice acting accentuated some of the script's issues in a weird way with the slang and Internet terms.

I mean, I think the last arc is kind of crap but I think the voice acting pretty much single-handedly sold the purple haired chick's death scene. Can't really think of any other instances where that sort of thing happened, though, and I think the good voice acting accentuated some of the script's issues in a weird way with the slang and Internet terms.

You right. It was probably the only time I was even remotely invested emotionally in the show that didn't include some form of laughter or boredom.

GGO is still my favorite though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aside from SUPER AIDS being the antagonist of Mothers Rosario, it was by far the best arc of SAO.
Pretty much. Though it was annoying how Asuna's mother brought up some good points but the show treated it like "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND MOM UUGGGHHHH", but Yuuki helped make the arc much more tolerable, even if I wasn't a fan of the whole "let's bring in completely random strangers to watch her death".

I preferred the Caliber arc since nothing about it really made me mad; Mother's Rosario was better than GGO and anything in the first series, but most of its attempts at emotion just made me mad, like with Super AIDS and Asuna's mom.

Man, I wonder if they're gonna show us Itachi slaughtering the Uchiha clan in the upcoming filler again.

How many times has Pierrot animated that event?

It's great. People have mentioned what it is if you go back a few pages in the thread but I'm not going to spoil it. It's quite frankly the oddest, best thing non-canon™ One Piece has to offer.

I have no idea what it is so I'm actually looking forward to it.

Don't disappoint me Man God

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom