• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Mira stole the illegal coils.

Robot ass.

Well, look who it is.

It's just smart programming.

Reconciliation?

Murdered the wife and daughter, damn...

As the one who created the world system, I am fully responsible.

Oh Shit! A miniature black hole into EMP!

Mira's burnt out coil face looks like an ahegao.

Silicone foam, eh?

And click.

Can't make sense of these protocols.

On her knees, whut...

Mira in that yellow shot looks like Kat from Gravity Rush.

Damn, different VA. It's not Suguha, but sounded like her.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
As for the fanservice, there was definitely an eyeroll-worthy amount. There were a couple cases where things could have been handled better and with more tact. For example, I think having a "female" robot on an 'operating table' without street clothes isn't that far-fetched and not inherently pandering - but then of course they focus the 'camera' on the crotch and chest. yay.
There was shots that were just WAY too obvious/forced about the fact they wanted you to focus on those areas for the sake of "you're a male watching this, right? You like girls, right? WELL LOOK AT THEEESSSSSEEEE!"

Your example of the operating table part is perfect in that it's a scene that would allow for that type of clothing without it seeming forced or obvious that was the focus. But when it flat-out cuts to a close up of her crotch, then it feels really out of place especially when it feels like the rest of the show is trying to take things seriously.

If you're drawing attention to it without having any actual reason relating to the plot, character, or whatever, then it just sticks out in comparison to the rest of the stuff. It also doesn't help when it's on a character that we don't know much about because then we just associate them with "oh they show skin" instead of actually having characteristics & a personality.

TUSR

Banned
Mira has a figure coming out. You can Google it if you want, its no surprise what position shes in.

Early fanservice in these type of shows is par for the course to compete with LNs and trying to get people talking about the show.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
A shame in this day & age, it has to be used as a "hook" to get a bit more viewers to watch despite the fact it doesn't match the show's tone or style. Granted, I have a much higher tolerance for it & I won't lie that it sometimes worked on me when I was a teen (SHUT UP IT WAS PUBERTY'S FAULT DON'T JUDGE ME), but it's something that has to be done "correctly", if that makes sense.....unless, ya know, your entire point of the show is to show off the girls like Queen's Blade & the plot isn't as important.

Though from what I've heard on here, it gets less forced, save for one episode, so we'll see. I still agree with most of you that when it was shoved in your face, it was kind of eye-roll worthy.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
amazing SAB CA

HAHAHAHA It's Super Effective and take my babby please. Another wonderful sketch by SAB CA. Also the first episode of Dimension W can be told by just a "?". Will see the next one if it improves.

Thanks guys:) I tried to show "Way too much focus on MIra's Butt!" by having the cameraman and spotlights focus on it... I'm not sure if that's clear, lol. I tried to avoid drawing an obvious butt shot, because... we had enough of those tonight, right? XD

And I didn't draw Fuu on a cross! Or getting searched! The trippy Mindgame-ish animation was probably more fitting, right?

There was shots that were just WAY too obvious/forced about the fact they wanted you to focus on those areas for the sake of "you're a male watching this, right? You like girls, right? WELL LOOK AT THEEESSSSSEEEE!"

I always find it funny how little tact there is to fanservice now-a-days. When you get to EXPECT it at such a rapid pace, it's not even a treat!

Though I also find it funny how panty-flashing and butt-service seem to be... "innocent" in anime? It's used like it's suppose to show us an appreciation for a developing younger female.

If you're drawing attention to it without having any actual reason relating to the plot, character, or whatever, then it just sticks out in comparison to the rest of the stuff. It also doesn't help when it's on a character that we don't know much about because then we just associate them with "oh they show skin" instead of actually having characteristics & a personality.

The only thing I liked about this was that they did take the time to show the robots pressing into her soft flesh (thus, she's not sculpted metal like something like R.Dorothy), and I was actually was wondering if the pink parts were part of her "skin", mechanical, or actual lingerie. Of course they saw fit to answer this.

Still feels a bit less ridiculous than some of KLK, heh. But also even more desperate and out of place, surely. Peeps need to learn some restraint.

Line_HTX

It was a little slightly difficult to tell because of the pixels, but good stuff, SAB CA with the Pokemon 20th shoutout.

I'll just go with the "?" there too because the colors threw me off, haha

TUSR

Banned
"why does luigi have a camera up her skirt"

WVW69i8RkPgq41R5OJ

WVW69i8S9ScJGNK7MF

WVW69i8ThTQcJX2P5g

WVW69i8T8kIXpn-lv4

LATER

(bumping for new page)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I played Pokémon tonight with a buddy and by the time that was done the forum shat the bed.

I did catch Mew tonight though in Red so it wasn't a total bust.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Zonic, would you like Myriad Colors Phantom World?

:p
I know you're joking, but I'll respond.

Considering more people most likely know the show due to the limboing gif than what the show is actually about, that's kind of a sign the fanservice is a bit blantant & overshadows everything else. Though considering I haven't seen anything else, I can't really judge the quality of it, so maybe it is better than I'd imagine, but my initial opinion will be based on said gif.

I'm not saying it needs to be completely gone, just again, don't be so blunt, don't have it clash with the rest of the show, & not every show needs to shoe-horn it in. At least something like Seikon no Quaser, as trashy as it was, was honest in the fact that it was going to be all about fanservice when you read the plot.

Hopefully I was able to voice my opinion in a fair way considering the subject matter.

I always find it funny how little tact there is to fanservice now-a-days. When you get to EXPECT it at such a rapid pace, it's not even a treat!

Though I also find it funny how panty-flashing and butt-service seem to be... "innocent" in anime? It's used like it's suppose to show us an appreciation for a developing younger female.

The only thing I liked about this was that they did take the time to show the robots pressing into her soft flesh (thus, she's not sculpted metal like something like R.Dorothy), and I was actually was wondering if the pink parts were part of her "skin", mechanical, or actual lingerie. Of course they saw fit to answer this.

Still feels a bit less ridiculous than some of KLK, heh. But also even more desperate and out of place, surely. Peeps need to learn some restraint.
It's not like fanservice in anime is anything new, but I think due to DVDs & BDs, companies realized they could drive sales by playing the "UNCENSORED!" card after it airs on TV, the same way we have extended/director's/special/whatever cuts of movies. Hell, we already have word of Batman Vs. Superman having more content on DVD due to getting a higher rating.

TUSR

Banned
Light novels know their target audience.
but I think due to DVDs & BDs, companies realized they could drive sales by playing the "UNCENSORED!" card after it airs on TV, the same way we have extended/director's/special/whatever cuts of movies. Hell, we already have word of Batman Vs. Superman having more content on DVD due to getting a higher rating.
DVD/BD sales, figures, other merchandise and most importantly, boosting the source material sales.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Captain Puzzle was the ultimate fan service.

I... I miss him already! Surely, he'll be Luffy's last challenge on the Grand Line, right?

It was a little slightly difficult to tell because of the pixels, but good stuff, SAB CA with the Pokemon 20th shoutout.

I'll just go with the "?" there too because the colors threw me off, haha

Yeah, I wish I could have drawn the Pokemon one with the same pixel density as the cover image, but that would have taken forev- well, no, just too long to do enough afterwards.

Heck, maybe I'll just go back and re-do it later anyway, since it looked so much cooler in my head, ha.

The colors there did get very weird, I should have just pixeled an obvious 8 bit buttshot and been done with it, ha.

"why does luigi have a camera up her skirt"
(bumping for new page)

Surely, Luigi isn't interested in such things!

Lulz. Good stuff, once again.

Thanks!

It's not like fanservice in anime is anything new, but I think due to DVDs & BDs, companies realized they could drive sales by playing the "UNCENSORED!" card after it airs on TV, the same way we have extended/director's/special/whatever cuts of movies. Hell, we already have word of Batman Vs. Superman having more content on DVD due to getting a higher rating.

It's just so... blatant and overused. I think I miss the old "hot springs / beach episodes" in comparison. It legitimately was nice to see very prim, proper, uptight, or overly-tough female characters chillax, and show their nice, pleasant sides. (Were the guys there too? I don't honestly remember... ;) ) It was like a reward for sticking with them, and it even felt like character development, at times.

But to just smack you with it in almost every exchange, motion, and setup... it's like watching a hero's Henshin sequence EVERY 7 SECONDS or something. Or watching a finishing special blow in the beginning, middle, and ending of a fight. It just makes you think the group involved (writers, actors, directors, artist, whichever) are all a bunch of hacks that never learned how to fill in the middle of a situation, just the HIGHS and HIGHER HIGHS!

BBboy20

who else can Voice Act? we should buy the rights to Fist of the North Star and redub it :3
I still think we should try abridging Akama Ga Kill.

Well except for

The baby
The baby
The baby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RKF6gqCXiM

Signs point to yes.
Two of the most popular characters in fiction and they're being squandered for the Justice League movie.

Damn, and here I am without my glow sticks, not raving out.
tumblr_inline_novl5i7xU21rfpu5c_500.gif

What kind of name is "Every"? I get the pun but his brother is named Jony.

Mira must be getting her water from Michigan.
mXJD312.gif

Are they seriously using YouTubers to promote Far Cry Primal? Weak Ubi, Weak.
No faith.

Never really got into the Far Cry series.
Play Blood Dragon as soon as you can.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning everyone. Good to know GAF is much better now.

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
The Androids have arrived, and they show their power by instantly taking out Yamcha. ... Which doesn't mean much. But they do kill a lot of innocent people that probably weren't wished back.
Todd Haberkorn's voice for 19 is weird. It's too high pitched.

Dimension W
Alright first episode. Heavy on exposition which is understandable. I'm liking Kyoma so far. Normally I have a very high tolerance for fanservice but a couple of those shots were just blatant. Good to know it tones down as the series progresses.
And if people here don't like it, it's only 12 episodes so it won't be around for long.

Parasyte the maxim:
Yeah, this is one of the better episodes. The emotional ending to the show's longest running arc with Reiko Tamura and her baby. Could have been a lot better if the voice acting wasn't so weak. Funimation or Aniplex could have done this soooo right.
We also meet a serial killer, and one of the first impressions we get of him is that he instantly jerks off at the sight of a woman. Charming.

Samurai Champloo:
Dude.... weed. Hehehheheheheheh
But yeah, enjoyable episode. I would have loved to comment on the ending as it aired but...

Naruto Shippuden:
Is it wrong that I cared more for GAF melting down than the events of this episode?

One Piece:
"See you in the New World!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Aaaah you're gonna die on Fishman Island.
This arc was dumb. A complete idiot plot with the Straw Hats holding back for no reason. Don Accino just wasn't an interesting villain, neither was his family
So it's safe to say the only decent filler arc was G8, it felt like a manga arc and
Jonathan got a cameo in Marineford. Though his personality and friendship with Akainu don't really mesh well.

Regiruler

For what it's worth I enjoyed W's protag a lot more than I enjoy similar characters (at first I thought he was going to be another Mugen). Might be because of his fighting style?

It will be interesting seeing people watch Dimension W week to week.

It's a thoroughly mediocre show that seems manufactured to appeal to a Western audience without any of the charm or talent behind Space Dandy and with an extra helping of creepy male gaze on Mira that just coalesces into a bland and forgettable experience.

KazenY2J

It's a thoroughly mediocre show that seems manufactured to appeal to a Western audience without any of the charm or talent behind Space Dandy and with an extra helping of creepy male gaze on Mira that just coalesces into a bland and forgettable experience.
Grimgar is next.

ckohler

So what happened in the original Japanese ending for that episode? Because the way that music started playing before the ending even started makes me think the first episode had a different ending in Japanese also. If so, isn't it likely next week we'll get the real JP ending? I kinda doubt they'll cut into the last few seconds of every episode.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Most anime these days (and for the past few years come to think of it) skip the opening on the first episode and play it as the ending.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

It has been getting better, I would say it is up to a solid 7 with the current arc.

Seda

So what happened in the original Japanese ending for that episode? Because the way that music started playing before the ending even started makes me think the first episode had a different ending in Japanese also. If so, isn't it likely next week we'll get the real JP ending? I kinda doubt they'll cut into the last few seconds of every episode.

Yeah I was wondering about this too. My assumption is from episode 2 on we'll get a cut version of the ending (and opening, probably), like usual unless there were music licensing problems or whatever.

Line_HTX

Well, looks like I got more than I expected on this Sunday. I bought Blue Gender, Appleseed XIII, and Initial D 4th Stage all for a total of $90. Not bad for stumbling on old underrated series.

Blue Gender ran on a little after OG Adult Swim Action but I never saw all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom