• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.
pat-head.gif

Soulflarz

Banned
What are all your bets on new shows both pie in the sky and realistically.

JoJo
for both categories

Honestly I think it's been nagged for so heavily that profits isn't a huge fear on if they obtain it, unless the rights are ridiculously expensive :x

So I finished FMA Brotherhood.

It reminds me of Bleach in a weird way with the way it deals with a large cast and tons of reversals and plot twists and stuff, only it does all that in a way that's actually competent. It's actually really impressive the way it manages to juggle so many different strands without ever feeling it loses its grip on anything. There are moments where the sheer size of the cast means there are some episodes sort of just dedicated to moving people around and getting them up to speed, but I rarely felt like the show dragged. I think regardless of which show you think is better, Brotherhood is just outright better than 03 at giving attention to multiple characters and storylines and making them all converge. Hell, a lot of my favorite characters in Brotherhood are from the supporting cast.

As far as the ending goes (mild spoilers I guess?)
I do understand the criticism of it being a little too "happy." It doesn't bother me too much, but I do think the story lost its teeth a bit after killing of Hughes and Nina; the casualties are relatively few, and it feels like the cost wasn't actually all that high when it's all said and done. Though I think I'm a little more irritated by the way the show leans really heavily on those plot twists and reversals and "call the cavalry" moments. They all by and large make sense, but I think it gets a bit tiresome. Might be the way I downed all these episodes though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Brotherhood is way better at fleshing out the extended cast.

Ironically the show not named Brotherhood is the one to go to for the relationship between Ed and Al.

I feel like the new show will be something old from AS's repertoire. They gotta be trying to save money now for Samurai Jack, right? Mark my words, fellas. Old show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
They aired a lot of Full Metal! FMA 2003 is one of their most aired shows! Proven success right there with Full+Metal.

I'm fairly certain it wasn't aired in the US until 2010 when Funimation got the rights and put it on their channel.

Well, if we are talking the anime specialty networks it was on ADV's Anime Network first but neither of those really count when we are talking about airing on television.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well, if we are talking the anime specialty networks it was on ADV's Anime Network first but neither of those really count when we are talking about airing on television.

Nah, Funimation Channel had a couple year run on FIOS as an honest to god network.

I watched quite a few things during those days. Right after it left FIOS is when it started getting some really good shows.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Nah, Funimation Channel had a couple year run on FIOS as an honest to god network.

I watched quite a few things during those days. Right after it left FIOS is when it started getting some really good shows.

Missing the larger point, you would think Full Metal Panic would have made it to Cartoon Network or Sci-Fi or even to G4 back in the day but that never happened.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Missing the larger point, you would think Full Metal Panic would have made it to Cartoon Network or Sci-Fi or even to G4 back in the day but that never happened.

I think it came over around the time Toonami was on the outs. Had it been 5 years earlier I'm sure they would have picked it up.

Actually, if I remember right A&E picked it up back in the day for some reason I don't understand.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think it came over around the time Toonami was on the outs. Had it been 5 years earlier I'm sure they would have picked it up.

Actually, if I remember right A&E picked it up back in the day for some reason I don't understand.

The anime series came out in like 2002 and 2005 and WIkipedia does not mention A&E and indeed that was the prime era for finding anime randomly on television, looking at you Heat Guy J on MTV2.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
AS/TOONAMI never had a great relationship with ADV to begin with. Most of their shows that did make it to either block bombed. NGE was years after it should have aired, stuff like that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
AS/TOONAMI never had a great relationship with ADV to begin with. Most of their shows that did make it to either block bombed. NGE was years after it should have aired, stuff like that.

Full Metal Panic probably would have done better then The Super Milk-Chan Show.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The anime series came out in like 2002 and 2005 and WIkipedia does not mention A&E and indeed that was the prime era for finding anime randomly on television, looking at you Heat Guy J on MTV2.

Yea, but when did it come over to the US? The dub feels way more modern than 2002 and 2005.

It's too bad since it would have killed with the AS/Toonami demo. Right amount of edge but still really fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom