• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

We have a whole bunch of cool new mods and we are stuck with the worst pokemon.

Prospective mods are nominated by any current mod, citing good posts, contributions, demeanor, whatnot - and then others weigh in their thoughts. Takes some time to finalize the list. This time, we picked the largest batch yet because we needed it. Several mods had quit due to inactivity/life and the forum is faster than it has ever been.

My vetting process was oddly lite in comparison. I was nominated by someone I didn't know (at the time) : "contributes in a polite and respectful way. He posts a lot of generally helpful things"

two other mods were like 'sure why not'.

┐(ツ)┌

edit: I have yet to actually nominate anybody

Raxus

In all seriousness you are doing a fine job Seda. Lionel was a long time coming as well. Don't know or passively know the other mods.

I feel like you have to be part of wrestlingGAF or sportsGAF to get noticed by the regulars.
edit: I have yet to actually nominate anybody
ToonamiGAF'ers were a mistake, they are nothing but trash.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You forgot the ":" after the "http", that's why it wasn't working.

Looks like it's the dub, but do you get the sub as well? Either way, I'll totally rewatch it just to see how well the dub turned out.

Soulflarz

Banned
Does S;G S1 end on the episode with
the mercs storming the house
?

If so thats a great ending point, right when it gets hype.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
okay now dbz is getting on my nerves, because they seem to be stretching shit out

it is time for Gohan to fucking go ham on this dude, and there's barely any fighting. And when they are having a fight it's the most basic shit

stand there for five minutes, do three moves, stand and smirk some more, then two minutes of fighting

it's intolerable

I was way more entertained with Gotenks and his weird attack shenanigans, despite the fact that he's a fucking dumbass

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
^I love DBZ, but I fully acknowledge if you went into DBZ nowadays with a modern lense and such, you'd hate it in many cases.

I'm almost ready to call it a straight up bad show at this point. Not overall, necessarily, but they're a fuckton of episodes into this Buu stuff and it is dragging. We get it. He's the most powerful and evil thing ever. But it's time for this to end.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
okay now dbz is getting on my nerves, because they seem to be stretching shit out

it is time for Gohan to fucking go ham on this dude, and there's barely any fighting. And when they are having a fight it's the most basic shit

stand there for five minutes, do three moves, stand and smirk some more, then two minutes of fighting

it's intolerable

I was way more entertained with Gotenks and his weird attack shenanigans, despite the fact that he's a fucking dumbass

When I watched DBZ KAI for the first time two summers ago I immediately went on to DBZ Buu saga...and barely made it through the world tournament. I love the Gohan Filler but man. The quality difference between the original and Kai is just something I couldn't overcome.

I made it even less far in Grand Tour.

it's intolerable

Yeah theirs allot of that in OG DBZ, its padding. Kai removed allot of that padding.

I will become the 5th Modkage of the Thread hidden in the community.

.....EXCEPT FOR SQUARE ENIX AND TEASING A DAMN IOS PORT OF WORLD ENDS WITH YOU, THEY KNEW WHAT PEOPLE WERE EXPECTING ARRRGGGHHOHSOHDOFHUOKNO33SF1

This is a wound that will never heal with time. Only by forgetting it ever happened.

And you just reopened that wound.

I think I found the modern-day equivalent of the Dutch guy from Champloo

q3BkXGx.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
^I love DBZ, but I fully acknowledge if you went into DBZ nowadays with a modern lense and such, you'd hate it in many cases.
Especially if you have no nostalgia for it like me. I fully accept how iconic it is & for kids back then, before anime really started taking off, how it was one of the key shows that got them into anime in the first place, but watching it now after seeing soooooooooooo many other action shows, it's just not doing much for me, despite the "shortened" format.

& this is coming from the fact I saw Battle of Gods in theaters with my friend & rather enjoyed it.

Honestly, it's just that damn pacing that makes it feel like it hasn't aged well, even with the Kai version. I can't imagine going back to the original series, having to sit for even MORE episodes of getting to Namek, fighting Frieza, the damn Bulma scenes, etc. & to be fair, it was doing okay for the most part up until around the later Genyu Force battles & especially when it was Frieza's turn to fight.

Edit: Just for comparison, this week's Kai episode is #57. In the original series, the same events took place on episodes 121 & 122. At this point, they've cut out over HALF of the episodes from the original. I can't imagine having to sit through another 60+ episodes of the stuff we just watched.

Line_HTX

Yeah, even in elementary school I was forced to acknowledge that the Namek saga took way too many episodes. If y'all thought the FIVE MINUTES was too long in DBZ Kai, it was even longer in OG back in the day. The good thing was that DBZ was on every afternoon on weekdays so it made the saga go by faster, but that was a little painful.

I think the most pain that I felt was the Android saga where it seemed like there was no end in sight until Cell finally showed up. I was about ready to give up at that point too.

I decided that I was already in so far that I was going to finish the Buu saga, and I felt relieved when I got to the end of the first airing of the final episode. I don't think they ever did a rerun of the last 15.

I admit that this was my first exposure along with Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, and Big O into anime, but if I tried watching DBZ now I would straight up quit so fast, lol. I even skipped a shitton of Bleach episodes too. I stopped watching entirely when the Grimmjow fight ended and I came back, surprise surprise, when the Fullbring arc started on Toonami.

For that reason alone, I just can't stand and sometimes outright hate shounen in general because I'm at the point where I just don't want to take the time to emotionally invest in long running shows. I've done too much of that with OG DBZ not including episodes that never aired in the US because there was a disparity in the number of episodes aired here vs the total 291, Inuyasha, and Bleach.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, the fact you got 5 episodes a week compared to one probably helped a lot. So you basically got to where we are now (around episode 121) in about 24 weeks, or almost half a year.

So, if Star Wars: Republic Commando got a sequel, you would've possibly played as a badass Jedi hunting commando unit.

...Why can't we make that game industry?

WHY WASN'T THIS GAME MADE!?

Honestly, what turns me off from watching OG DBZ again is not the padding but the Dub-vs. Sub dilemma. The dub has not aged well what with Granny Frieza, overt use of dubtext in dialogue, characters not sounding like they do in Kai (Piccolo and Vegeta) if they don't sound as good in a matter of speaking (Goku) and of course, Frieza as portrayed by a chain-smoking grandma. The original Japanese has the problem of its sound quality sounding like utter shite, as I've stated multiple times previously.

BBboy20

So, if Star Wars: Republic Commando got a sequel, you would've possibly played as a badass Jedi hunting commando unit.

...Why can't we make that game industry?

WHY WASN'T THIS GAME MADE!?
That would be a AAA EA game I would play...unless it suffered a similar treatment that Battlefront "3" had.

Regiruler

I started up a campus climate survey for a sheetz gift certificate and on the front page is Trigger Warning in big, bold letters.

This is a tiny ass catholic school in the middle of nowhere. How did tumblritis reach so far.

bigkrev

Genkai always sounded like she had just finished smoking a pack of cigarettes and really Hayes that she has to go to the corner store to get another pack

It's glorious

I started up a campus climate survey for a sheetz gift certificate and on the front page is Trigger Warning in big, bold letters.

This is a tiny ass catholic school in the middle of nowhere. How did tumblritis reach so far.

Sheetz deserves is own trigger warning tbf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom