• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm surprised Crunchyroll hasn't gotten the live-action GARO series. It's Toku that isn't trying to sell toys.

Line_HTX

I got lucky when I watched and finished the Buu saga because I didn't give a fuck about anything else at the time. Htown is right for stopping.

Jarate

Banned
I joined gaf I think 6-7 years ago when I was 18 so I could post in Rock Band Gaf (RIP)

I was lurking since I was like 16, but it was mostly to join in on Rock Band Gaf shens. And then it got killed due to a whole slew of reasons, and I was so unimportant that I never got banned somehow. (Ive gotten banned for different things for a month or two a few times)

Ive been going on 4chan since I was 14, and while I dont browse as much as I used too, I still go on /sp/ a lot. But yeah, 10 years ago is when I started going there :|

Ive been posting on forums since I was like 10 I think. Thank god ive changed my names a few times since then, there's some 10 year old shitposting that I do not want to relive at all

EDIT: Buu saga I watched when it first came out middling. Luckily with DBZ you could miss a few episodes and still understand what was going on. I watched the full series multiple times since then, although the Buu saga is definately the hardest one to get through, especially in a Pre-Kai world

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
But Vegeta's sacrifice

was like 12 hours worth of DBZ ago

and where are we now? Goku and Vegeta clearly about to team up like they could have done in the first place

waste of fucking time, waste of characters, waste of plot twists, waste of everything

It was clear that the Cell Saga was supposed to be a passing of the torch and Gohan was supposed to be the new lead. It's sad to see how hard the Buu Saga rolled back from that when Gohan ended up being less relevant than Goku's other son and Vegeta's son.

Htown

It was clear that the Cell Saga was supposed to be a passing of the torch and Gohan was supposed to be the new lead. It's sad to see how hard the Buu Saga rolled back from that when Gohan ended up being less relevant than Goku's other son and Vegeta's son.

It almost feels like a last minute left turn.

Like, at least it all makes sense as a Gohan's coming to save everyone style arc, and then they just suddenly fuck him over and it's Goku and Vegeta time out of fucking nowhere.

Gotenks is better than Gohan

You're right and that's what's sad about it.

Like, at least it all makes sense as a Gohan's coming to save everyone style arc, and then they just suddenly fuck him over and it's Goku and Vegeta time out of fucking nowhere.

I'm fine with the big build up to Gohan unlocking his true potential (though it did go on for far too long), but there's absolutely no payoff to it. It's just him styling on a villain that Gotenks was already styling on, and then he's literally just thrown away for Goku and Vegeta to take over.

Jarate

Banned
Ultimate Gohan is still really badass, probably his third best moment in the series (1. Cell fight, 2. Him going apeshit on Frieza those couple of times)

Gotenks was an annoying ass character, but that's mostly because Goten and Trunks are annoying in general.

People like to shit on the Buu Saga, but it does somethings really well in it, and it was way better then GT ever was.

Ultimate Gohan is still really badass, probably his third best moment in the series (1. Cell fight, 2. Him going apeshit on Frieza those couple of times)

Gotenks was an annoying ass character, but that's mostly because Goten and Trunks are annoying in general.

People like to shit on the Buu Saga, but it does somethings really well in it, and it was way better then GT ever was.

Careful, we don't speak of the Man God territory around here.

Htown

I cannot stress enough that Gohan literally doesn't do anything.

Like, think about all the weird and creative attacks that asshole Gotenks came up with and used in his fights with Buu.

What does Gohan even do? A couple punches and kicks, and throws out like one beam. AND THEN HE GETS FUCKING DESTROYED

Like, what? This is what you spent all that time building him up on the Supreme Kai's planet for? This is what you were building to the entire time you were having him fight to keep Buu from coming out? This is what you were doing when you had him be unable to take down Dabura, who by the way he never even got to beat, and when you had him intentionally get his powers stolen in the World Martial Arts Tournament? When you had him establish his own life as a superhero in high school?

The show was fucking about Gohan, and this is where you go with it?

Like the entire point of Dragon Ball Z as a series has been the transition from Goku to Gohan. Literally since the first time Gohan made that surprise attack against Raditz in the first couple episodes.

I watched some of it and didn't like it

saw that cool fight scene that happened later on in the series though, it was pretty rad

That's fair. Garo is a show that seems to either really grab people, or leaves them feeling cold.

A lot of my favorite shows are like that.

Also Htown, if you're want a break from shonen antics that treat female characters poorly, you might want to check out Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. (I'm assuming you haven't arleady.)

latest

Show has a great female lead, pretty grounded action scenes, and most people fight with spears.

Spears are cooler than swords. Everyone knows this.

Seda

Like, think about all the weird and creative attacks that asshole Gotenks came up with and used in his fights with Buu.

What does Gohan even do? A couple punches and kicks, and throws out like one beam. AND THEN HE GETS FUCKING DESTROYED

Like, what? This is what you spent all that time building him up on the Supreme Kai's planet for? This is what you were building to the entire time you were having him fight to keep Buu from coming out? This is what you were doing when you had him be unable to take down Dabura, who by the way he never even got to beat, and when you had him intentionally get his powers stolen in the World Martial Arts Tournament? When you had him establish his own life as a superhero in high school?

Like the entire point of Dragon Ball Z as a series has been the transition from Goku to Gohan. Literally since the first time Gohan made that surprise attack against Raditz in the first couple episodes.

A big reason why Android arc is the best

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's fair. Garo is a show that seems to either really grab people, or leaves them feeling cold.

A lot of my favorite shows are like that.

Also Htown, if you're want a break from shonen antics that treat female characters poorly, you might want to check out Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. (I'm assuming you haven't arleady.)

Show has a great female lead, pretty grounded action scenes, and most people fight with spears.

Balsa the best.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

TeamFourStar summed that up perfectly

"Gohan is the strongest in the universe but still doesn't do crap!"

Htown

This is actually in my Netflix queue, but I haven't watched it yet.

For the record, Kanzenshuu's exploration of why Gohan ended up not being the hero of the Buu Saga.
As mentioned, chapter 421 starts off with a message from Kame-Sen’nin: “‘Dragon Ball‘ will continue for just a tad longer! From now on, taking the place of the late Goku as the main character will be his serious-minded son, Son Gohan!”

At the very start of the Boo arc, Toriyama (via Kame-Sen’nin) wanted everyone to know that Gohan would “take Goku’s place”. Of course, at the end of the Boo arc Goku is the one to defeat Boo and save the day, while Gohan just gets beat up and is finally absorbed by Boo — you would hardly call that taking Goku’s place as main character. It certainly seems that Toriyama’s original plan for Gohan’s role in that story arc did not pan out. Why not though? This is all that Toriyama has said on the subject, from his Daizenshuu 2 interview:

Interviewer: And then the Cell arc ended. Did you think that everyone felt you would put Gohan into the leading role?

Akira Toriyama: I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn’t work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.

That is it. The official word is that Toriyama himself ultimately changed his mind about Gohan’s suitability as the main character.

Fan rumor though, has usually claimed that Toriyama was “forced” to give Gohan the shaft due to fan outcry and/or his ever-insidious editor. Once again there is not any real evidence of this. As mentioned before, Toriyama actually considered his editor during the Boo arc, Fuyuto Takeda, to be rather lenient compared to his previous editors. It does not seem likely that Toriyama would describe Takeda like that if Takeda had imposed such as major change. As for the idea of a fan outcry, we never seen any evidence to back up the claims that there was such an uproar over Gohan taking the lead role. It just seems to be speculation.

As speculation goes at least, how plausible is the idea that fans at the time simply could not accept Gohan as the lead character rather than Goku? It is mixed. Daizenshuu 1 gives the results of two popularity polls taken during the course of the series, each one ranking the five most popular characters at the time. The first one appeared in Weekly Shōnen Jump 1993 #12, toward the end of the Cell Games (the issue features chapter 411, where Cell self-destructs). It lists Gohan in first place, followed by Goku, Trunks, Vegeta, and Piccolo. The second one appeared in Weekly Shōnen Jump 1995 #05/06, near the end of the Boo arc (this issue has chapter 501, the color chapter where Goku comes to the rescue while Gotenks-absorbed Boo continues to beat up on Gohan), and lists Goku in first place, followed by Vegeta, Trunks, Gotenks, and Piccolo.

It seems that fans at the time did not necessarily have an inherent preference for Goku over Gohan. Gohan actually managed to surpass Goku in popularity during the Cell Games, after all. Going into the Boo arc he was the most popular character, but by the time of his fight with Gohan-absorbed Boo he had dropped out of the top five entirely. What happened? There are a lot of factors that could have caused Gohan to drop in popularity. For one thing, while during the Cell Games he was portrayed as an all-powerful bad ass, in the Boo arc he is quickly established to have slacked off and gotten much weaker, and his main accomplishments before the Elder Kaiōshin’s power-up was to have his energy stolen, put up sort of a decent fight against Dabra, then be beaten up by Boo. The chicken-and-egg question is whether Gohan lost his popularity because he did not do anything cool in the Boo arc or if he did not get to do anything cool in the Boo arc because he lost his popularity. While it is not indicated when they started taking votes for these polls, or when they stopped, these results were published in Jump a full five weeks after chapter 497, where Gohan beats the tar out of Boo. However, it seems that even that did not help raise Gohan into the top five.

Gohan was unpopular with fans while the Boo arc was first coming out, but it seems the same fans were capable of preferring Gohan to Goku under the right circumstances. All in all, the idea that Gohan was replaced as main character due to unpopularity is at least supported by these popularity polls, but it still goes against Toriyama’s own explanation that he ultimately felt Gohan was “not suited for the part” compared to Goku. Of course, Toriyama does not really explain exactly what he felt made Gohan unsuited, and being unpopular would certainly be a liability for a main character. Perhaps Toriyama did just mean that Goku was the much more popular character than Gohan at the time, making it seem prudent to put Goku back in the limelight once more.

This is still just speculation and should be treated as such, while the rumors about fan demand causing Toriyama to shaft Gohan are all too often treated as proven fact. Also, the rumors typically cast Toriyama as being forced against his will to make the change, either by a rabid fan response, his editor, or both. When talking about this change in Daizenshuu 2, Toriyama betrays no particular strong feelings. Gohan was “unsuited for the part”, so he swapped him out for Goku — simple as that. Even if you argued that by “unsuited” Toriyama meant “unpopular”, at most the evidence suggests that Toriyama prudently saw where the wind was blowing popularity-wise and made the switch on his own. By “unsuited” Toriyama does not have to mean “unpopular”. Maybe Toriyama thought Gohan was a bit of a weak reed, or somewhat bland, or harder to draw than Goku, or any number of things. “Gohan was replaced because he was unpopular” seems to be such a widespread explanation largely because it is the one most pleasing to Gohan fans, since it allows them to pin all the blame on the Japanese fans of years ago. “If only they hadn’t been such narrow-minded Goku fanboys”, the thinking goes, “then Gohan could have been the hero like Toriyama wanted all along”. Well, it is possible, but it is not necessarily so.

Line_HTX

There was a scene near the end of the Buu Saga where I think Vegeta talked about why the fuck does Goku have to be the one to save everything, and why can't someone else be the hero for once. I was thinking about how important that was in highlighting that point, but pretty much it was too late already for acknowledgement. The same asspull result happened, but I think the difference was it was probably coming to terms with the face that Toriyama screwed up Gohan's role in the Buu saga badly.

Well to be far it was a lot shorter in the manga and in Kai.

Not to mention, how he basically gets his big power up in the first place is to sit on his ass for 24 hours.

Though knowing how the original Z loved padding I can see why you are getting frustrated.

was like 12 hours worth of DBZ ago

and where are we now? Goku and Vegeta clearly about to team up like they could have done in the first place

waste of fucking time, waste of characters, waste of plot twists, waste of everything

Yeah but

it was a really good scene

(Seriously though, somebody could probably take the axe to the Buu arc and make it alright, Gohan fuckery aside. But as it stands, it's the weakest link by far).

Raxus

I was never a fan of the Buu arc for several reasons but after watching a lot more anime I feel I can't be too harsh on it since plenty of anime shit the bed way harder than that.

Mr. Satan is the true hero of the Buu saga.

Jarate

Banned
And it was (supposedly) massive.

That spear alone will make you not want to pursue Lu Bu.

Lu Bu used a Halberd if I remember correctly, if you're looking for a giant spear user, then Zhang Fei is your guy.

Guan Yu's Blue Dragon is by far the coolest weapon in ROTK.

Also, spears are way too practical to be cool like a sword.

The biggest mistake was making Gohan slack off his training for the 7 years between the Cell saga and Buu saga.

We should have gotten Future Gohan instead we got a slacker who never trains, and is stuck relying on "potential" every time he starts to fall behind. Which is why, I'm ok with Gohan jobbing to Buu considering he did nothing to earn his power and deserved to be left behind.

In the end, it looks like Chi Chi wins and Gohan became a scholar after all.

Jarate

Banned
The biggest mistake was making Gohan slack off his training for the 7 years between the Cell saga and Buu saga.

We should have gotten Future Gohan instead we got a slacker who never trains, and is stuck relying on "potential" every time he starts to fall behind. Which is why, I'm ok with Gohan jobbing to Buu considering he did nothing to earn his power and deserved to be left behind.

In the end, it looks like Chi Chi wins and Gohan became a scholar after all.

Gohan stopped training because it makes logical sense to stop training. Cell was magnitudes stronger then even Frieza, who was thought to be the strongest being in the entire universe, what thing could compete?

Gohan wanted to help the world in different ways and was only thrown in as a fighter because he was useful, he never wanted to fight, he only did it because he had a responsibility.

Pureblooded saiyans are the only ones who have the constant need to get stronger, the only times the hybrid saiyans were ambitious like that was when enemies would show up (unless we get a better Goten in the future)

Y'all want every other character to be Goku, but we already got Goku

Gohan stopped training because it makes logical sense to stop training. Cell was magnitudes stronger then even Frieza, who was thought to be the strongest being in the entire universe, what thing could compete?

Gohan wanted to help the world in different ways and was only thrown in as a fighter because he was useful, he never wanted to fight, he only did it because he had a responsibility.

Pureblooded saiyans are the only ones who have the constant need to get stronger, the only times the hybrid saiyans were ambitious like that was when enemies would show up (unless we get a better Goten in the future)

Y'all want every other character to be Goku, but we already got Goku

I don't find it logical to stop training when your the only person reasonably left to defend the planet, and considering the hell Trunk's future was in that's more than enough reason to train.

Especially when a random guy on Earth could create beings stronger than Freeza than just imagine what could happen anywhere else in the universe. It makes no sense to suddenly stop and become complacent because we know how well that turned out for the villains like Freeza.

Not to mention the Buu saga does prove that there are plenty of threats out there and that's not even mentioning threats like Beerus, Champa, and Freeza's followers. Yeah, Gohan doesn't like fighting, but at the very least he could stay in shape enough for when the next threat does come he can defend the planet.

He just didn't need to be a Goku clone. Only be a more reasonable character that also happened to train and dedicate some time to his personal life without being obsessed by battle like Goku.

That would be an improvement over what we got, and it would fit what most people expect out of a fighting shonen series.

Jarate

Banned
I don't find it logical to stop training when your the only person reasonably left to defend the planet, and considering the hell Trunk's future was in that's more than enough reason to train.

Especially when a random guy on Earth could create beings stronger than Freeza than just imagine what could happen anywhere else in the universe. It makes no sense to suddenly stop and become complacent because we know how well that turned out for the villains like Freeza.

Not to mention the Buu saga does prove that there are plenty of threats out there and that's not even mentioning threats like Beerus, Champa, and Freeza's followers. Yeah, Gohan doesn't like fighting, but at the very least he could stay in shape enough for when the next threat does come he can defend the planet.

He just didn't need to be a Goku clone. Only be a more reasonable character that also happened to train and dedicate some time to his personal life without being obsessed by battle like Goku.

That would be an improvement over what we got, and it would fit what most people expect out of a fighting shonen series.

That's why Vegeta was there. Goiku could also be easily wished back to life

That's why Vegeta was there. Goiku could also be easily wished back to life

Which is why I said Gohan's the only reasonable person left. Vegeta is the guy who let Cell become Perfect and Goku isn't much better.

Gohan's already stronger than both of them at the point in time anyway. So you know he could just train or at least sustain his current power level.

Jarate

Banned
Which is why I said Gohan's the only reasonable person left. Vegeta is the guy who let Cell become Perfect and Goku isn't much better.

Gohan's already stronger than both of them at the point in time anyway. So you know he could just train or at least sustain his current power level.

Gohan let Perfect Cell kill his father

also, every single character in Dragon Ball makes horrid decisions all the time.

Gohan's 2 personalities are OH MAN I SURE DO LOVE NATURE AND HATE FIGHTING or FULL SAIYAN and DBZ tried to teach you that both are needed in diffferent situations.

Gohan definitely was a fuckboy, but he kind of always was one.

And the only thing that was literally capable of beating Gohan even with 7 years of no training was Buu, who was literally the most powerful creature ever made (until Super canon) and Majin Dabura, the King of Demons who was power boosted by being Majin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom