• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
uXYORrB.gif

All this talk of how bland Western cartoons look reminds me of the recent King of the Hill appreciation thread and how bad I felt because I could never get past how fucking boring it looks artistically. Also how a lot of Western animation seems to lack any sort of weight and impact in the actual movement of characters. So Garnet's fight with Rock person Vegeta was pretty unremarkable outside of the song.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Won't able to listen to the Pre-Flight podcast so I'll find out about it afterwards.

I just hope...well nix that, I know it's going to be better than AGK. 30 minutes of dead air would be a step up.

On the other hand, we could get stuck with more Light Novel schlock like The Asterisk War or Chivalry of a Failed Night.

Moaradin

E7 AO is probably the worst anime I've ever sat through to the end. I actively try to forget that show exists.

Please don't come to Toonami.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That feels more like a 1:30 AM replacement.

They'd shift up Parasyte to 12:30 and run it at one. Which would work nicely if they had a big show ready to go after Parasyte ended. I've thought about this long and hard, in fact it's keeping me up tonight! That and I accidentally had a caffeinated beverage after 10pm.

E7AO is probably the worst anime I've ever sat through to the end. I actively try to forget that show exists.

Please don't come to Toonami.

The first four episodes were okay.

But I think that's where the storyboard stopped, and the hardcore drug use began, and not in the good way.

Crocodile

It also has scenes of really good animation

like most other anime

like i'm not saying it didn't have bad animation quite often, but it's weird to me that it's singled out so much

You don't have to convince me. I know Triggger has talented animators, I've been following their work for years (at least those who work there that are well known). I'm just saying, if your exposure to Trigger's work is mostly KLK (or perhaps stuff like Inferno Cop or Ninja Slayer), I don't think its unfair or a surprise that more casual/lapsed anime fans/watches may have a negative impression. Many of the fights in KLK got worse as the show went on (i.e. people are more likely to remember the second half than the first). Like clearly the below:

index.php

doesn't represent all the fights in KLK, but it represents enough of them to be an issue in an anime all about fighting.

So pretty much confirmed that we're learning Akame's replacement tomorrow.

https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/134828152809

image.png

Good animation doesn't necessary make a fight enjoyable. It can help, but on its own it rarely elevates a typically written fight above average.

When you say "written" do you mean choreography and framing? I agree but even those were lacking in many of the fights in KLK.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
They'd shift up Parasyte to 12:30 and run it at one. Which would work nicely if they had a big show ready to go after Parasyte ended. I've thought about this long and hard, in fact it's keeping me up tonight! That and I accidentally had a caffeinated beverage after 10pm.

I am still thinking something with a bit more weight to its name like Psycho-Pass or Tokyo Ghoul.

When you say "written" do you mean choreography and framing? I agree but even those were lacking in many of the fights in KLK.

Oh I wasn't defending KLK when I said that. I only really enjoyed 3 fights in KLK.

I agree that most fights scenes lack choreography and framing, but I meant more in regards to traditional shonen writing for fight scenes.

"Let me show you my true power!"
"But wait, this isn't even my final form!"
"Hah, you thought I was really at my limit?"

Stuff like that, even if it's well animated, doesn't really grab me anymore.

I am still thinking something with a bit more weight to its name like Psycho-Pass or Tokyo Ghoul.

I'd be down for Psycho-Pass. Not so much Tokyo Ghoul since I didn't like much of the first three episodes.

I'm thinking this is going to be a Viz/Aniplex show. If Viz, Tiger & Bunny. If Aniplex...Aldanoah Zero?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'll never watch any of these (I happened to get both seasons of Steins;Gate only a week ago from a friend) but I keep doing it because...free is free.

BBboy20

My life has been a bit shit in the past 30 days but I should try to feel beyond ecstatic that a Hollywood live-action Deadpool movie exists at all and it is out tomorrow.

Crocodile

All this talk of how bland Western cartoons look reminds me of the recent King of the Hill appreciation thread and how bad I felt because I could never get past how fucking boring it looks artistically. Also how a lot of Western animation seems to lack any sort of weight and impact in the actual movement of characters. So Garnet's fight with Rock person Vegeta was pretty unremarkable outside of the song.

I recall the Garnet vs Jasper fight being one of the better fights in the show. SU can actually deliver good action scenes from time to time. It's just the focus of the show means thhey rarely happen.

As for King on the Hill, the strength of the show is the writing. There's nothing to praise when it comes to animation or art or whatever.

Oh I wasn't defending KLK when I said that. I only really enjoyed 3 fights in KLK.

I agree that most fights scenes lack choreography and framing, but I meant more in regards to traditional shonen writing for fight scenes.

"Let me show you my true power!"
"But wait, this isn't even my final form!"
"Hah, you thought I was really at my limit?"

Stuff like that, even if it's well animated, doesn't really grab me anymore.

Oh sure. I can agree that "MY POWER IS MAXIMUM!' isn't the most compelling way to write most fights (i.e. 99% of all Bleach fights)

Bleach is the actual worst about people telling each other their powers. I guess not everyone can be Araki and incorporate the explanation into the fights for the reader and characters to figure out or like Oda and make it obvious from the get go.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Bleach is the actual worst about people telling each other their powers. I guess not everyone can be Araki and incorporate the explanation into the fights for the reader and characters to figure out or like Oda and make it obvious from the get go.

Bleach is the worst not just because of how every character completely stops the fight to explain what their power is, but most of the time they even state outright what the fatal weakness of their power is, for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bleach is the worst not just because of how every character completely stops the fight to explain what their power is, but most of the time they even state outright what the fatal weakness of their power is, for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

My blindspot is at 11:30, but you'll never figure it out.

Every time someone talks about Bleach, I get sad at how much time I wasted watching the whole thing.

Well, Soul Society is great, but the rest.

Another day, another round of shit talking on Bleach.

*sigh* Oh well, I still like it, stupid flaws and all.

I can get why some people have taken a sabbatical from this thread sometimes.

On another note, rewatching all of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood because I can (and own the two Blu-ray sets). It really is the best action/adventure fantasy shounen.

Line_HTX

I almost want Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress to come to Toonami for the shits and giggles, with Bryce Papenbrook in it for the hype train.

It should look familiar to y'all, even Seda, heh heh heh...

Mizerman

Every time someone talks about Bleach, I get sad at how much time I wasted watching the whole thing.

Well, Soul Society is great, but the rest.

I liked the Soul Society arc, but that was mainly it.

I almost want Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress to come to Toonami for the shits and giggles, with Bryce Papenbrook in it for the hype train.

It should look familiar to y'all, even Seda, heh heh heh...

Heh.

Raxus

One of the funniest moments of Bleach was someone explaining their powers and having their shit wrecked seconds afterwards because of it.

Kubo wants to be Araki so bad despite the fact Araki's heroes and villains have more tact about describing their powers. Even shit powers like The Lovers get their due where Kubo is stuck in a loop of making broken as shit characters get beaten by nonsensical means it can't help but be unsatisfactory.

The past few Bleach chapters actually haven't been half bad because they advance the god damn plot along.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I look forward to groaning at Akame's replacement because it's not *insert show here*.

That's 6:30 Eastern, correct? I should be awake by then & home to watch it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One of the funniest moments of Bleach was someone explaining their powers and having their shit wrecked seconds afterwards because of it.

Kubo wants to be Araki so bad despite the fact Araki's heroes and villains have more tact about describing their powers. Even shit powers like The Lovers get their due where Kubo is stuck in a loop of making broken as shit characters get beaten by nonsensical means it can't help but be unsatisfactory.

Are you referring to the moment where
Rose is fighting Wrestler Quincy and says how his power only works if someone can hear it, and Wrestler Quincy perforates his ear drums to deafen himself and just wrecks him? That was so dumb. Don't tell your enemy your weakness you idiots!

ckohler

I'm not sure if you're using this as an example of bad art in KLK but in case you are, you're totally missing the point. That entire episode (and many other moments throughout the show) that look like this aren't because the animators lack skill. It's a stylistic choice they made to look wacky. Yes, it also saves time/money but this kind of Loony Toons style is something Imaishi does a lot in his shows. It's like his signature thing. Just look at Panty and Stocking, for example.

there is only one animation sequence in klk you need to remember

satsuki-walking-up-walls.gif

magnifiqué

Now, this is a legit bad shot because it's clearly TRYING to be cool looking but is a poor mix of CG and cell animation. The funny thing is, as bad as that shot this, the very next shot where they are fighting in the hallway is one of the best looking animated sequences in the series.

Remember Shinji from Bleach?

Shinji's power is literally to disorient his foes and to leave them unable to defends themselves.

But then he takes the time to explain his power to Aizen rather than just cutting off his head.

Remember how that worked out?

Regiruler

Good animation doesn't necessary make a fight enjoyable. It can help, but on its own it rarely elevates a typically written fight above average.

Completely and utterly incorrect.
One Punch Man exists to defy you.
There would be a GIF here but my mangodism is weak

I look forward to groaning at Akame's replacement because it's not *insert show here*.

That's 6:30 Eastern, correct? I should be awake by then & home to watch it.

As long as it's not a Sentai show and/or a show I did watch that I thought wasn't very good, I'm not complaining.

Tenumi

Banned
The only reason I'd be disappointed with Dimension W is that it's expected. It's new, it isn't too bad so far, it'd be an interesting watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom