• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amikami

Banned
Some dubs are bad. Some dubs are good. Some dubs are so bad they become good.

Haha. Holy shit. This is what I was talking about. Dub has come a long way, but this is pretty funny and then I looked at the related videos and saw THE GREATEST GREATEST GREATEST ANIME DUB EVER.

Wow!. Wtf.

I don't watch a lot of anime, so factor that in before weighing my opinion with any merit.

Again, video games, but Chaos Wars and Arc Rise are worse (and thus better? haha) in my opinion.

Haha. I remember the chaos wars one. so good bad.

This reminds me of a girl I knew. She's was way into anime and she gets into this mode when she just goes anime on everyone around her. Everything from her intonation to her body language is imitating anime. Creeps me the fuck out. Last I knew she was taking Japanese courses. She was cool though.

image.jpg

I know one dub that is, without a doubt, better than the sub. The ADV dub of Ghost Stories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs Probably nsfw. Can't remember.

This reminds me of a girl I knew. She's was way into anime and she gets into this mode when she just goes anime on everyone around her. Everything from her intonation to her body language is imitating anime. Creeps me the fuck out. Last I knew she was taking Japanese courses. She was cool though.

Maybe she was practicing to be a voice actress.

Amikami

Banned
I'm trying to read through the first couple of chapters of Soul Eater Not, because don't really want to pre-judge it as moe until I read or watch. Lots of cameos from SE. As of now, I don't know why we're getting an adaptation of this. Maybe it'd be better if I was watching rather than reading. I guess if it does well, it may give us a better chance of getting SE Brotherhood though, so maybe I should be rooting for it.

Maybe she was practicing to be a voice actress.

Well, I knew she was very much into art and she often drew anime characters or people in an anime style and even drew me and gave to me, though of course I wouldn't post it. I admit, she was very good at it and a legitimately good artist. Like I said, she was cool and I definitely identified with her interest in art and animation, but anime mode was awkward.

Jintor

Haha. Holy shit. This is what I was talking about. Dub has come a long way, but this is pretty funny and then I looked at the related videos and saw THE GREATEST GREATEST GREATEST ANIME DUB EVER.

Wow!. Wtf.

I still think Ghost Tales or Ghost Stories or whatever is my absolute favourite terrible dub job. The actors are fantastic but everybody basically decided to shit on the show, including the voice director,

/edit beat

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
ARF's dub is atrocious but I got used to it after a while. In terms of anime though I hold Steins;Gate, FMA:B, and YYH in high regard. Super good.

well, i watched Space Dandy subbed. i think it's pretty much a toss-up, quality-wise. i think i prefer Meow in Japanese, Dandy in English (he just comes across as more comicaly melodramatic), surprisingly the narrator in Japanese, and QT's probably gonna depend on how the autotune grabs you (i like it, so English for me but other than that they're basically the same). i found Honey kind of annoying in Japanese, honestly.

however, i don't think there's any question whatsoever that the dialogue in English is MUCH more clever and amusing. which really doesn't surprise me since Patrick Seitz wrote the dub script, and he helped work on the one for Steins;Gate. "i can't read circle." "don't you judge me, you're covered in hair." "don't be cheap, dude, fire it up." stuff like this really doesn't have an equivalent in the subs, so i'm firmly in the dub camp personally.

LOLDSFAN

Buahaha looks like I missed some drama the past few hours.

Anyway here's my short and simple rant on sub/dub.

I like anime. I like videogames. I don't want to limit the way I watch anime. I don't want to limit the way I play videogames. Therefore I'll watch sub or dub if they have good V.A.'s and I'll play Nintendo/PC/etc... if they have good games. Limiting yourself to just sub. or just Xbox could make you miss some fantastic opportunities and experiences. I don't want that.

Yes x1000.

Amikami

Banned
Buahaha looks like I missed some drama the past few hours.

Anyway here's my short and simple rant on sub/dub.

I like anime. I like videogames. I don't want to limit the way I watch anime. I don't want to limit the way I play videogames. Therefore I'll watch sub or dub if they have good V.A.'s and I'll play Nintendo/PC/etc... if they have good games. Limiting yourself to just sub. or just Xbox could make you miss some fantastic opportunities and experiences. I don't want that.

Agreed. I'm not sure what's with the console wars and the hardcore argument between subs and dubs when everyone gets what they want.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
well, i watched Space Dandy subbed. i think it's pretty much a toss-up, quality-wise. i think i prefer Meow in Japanese, Dandy in English (he just comes across as more comicaly melodramatic), surprisingly the narrator in Japanese, and QT's probably gonna depend on how the autotune grabs you (i like it, so English for me but other than that they're basically the same). i found Honey kind of annoying in Japanese, honestly.

however, i don't think there's any question whatsoever that the dialogue in English is MUCH more clever and amusing. which really doesn't surprise me since Patrick Seitz wrote the dub script, and he helped work on the one for Steins;Gate. "i can't read circle." "don't you judge me, you're covered in hair." "don't be cheap, dude, fire it up." stuff like this really doesn't have an equivalent in the subs, so i'm firmly in the dub camp personally.

Honestly I preferred the English narrator.

Honestly I preferred the English narrator.

i liked the English narrator, but i just felt like he should've come off as more bored and disinterested than he actually did. they didn't play up that aspect as much in the subs so i thought it was fine for him to just be kinda normal.

Raxus

The last anime I watched I preferred the sub over the dub was Durarara!! and it simply was because of the setting.

Today most dubs I feel are on par (and rarely better) than the subs.
i liked the English narrator, but i just felt like he should've come off as more bored and disinterested than he actually did. they didn't play up that aspect as much in the subs so i thought it was fine for him to just be kinda normal.
I feel like he was playing the Arrested Development narrator in that regard.

See I didn't like the more bored sounding narrator in the sub, I kind of preferred the more in on the joke narrator in the dub.

As you said both dub and sub are good, I'll continue to watch both but I prefer the dub.

See I didn't like the more bored sounding narrator in the sub, I kind of preferred the more in on the joke narrator in the dub.

As you said both dub and sub are good, I'll continue to watch both but I prefer the dub.

sub is worth watching for that opening and ending alone ;-;

also, the ending pretty much confirms how Dandy and crew survive for the next episode.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I liked the English narrator for that reason. He just didn't give a fuck about doing his job properly, which was much funnier to me than just being bored and disinterested. He just couldn't be bothered to do it properly.

Whoah. I just saw a stand-alone promo/preview of the next episode of Space Dandy. Episode looks fun
Meow is taking photos for like Facebook and stuff.
They're really going all out for the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom