• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kakashi mask episode was pretty funny, though I feel it should have happened after the land of waves arc not when it did. Goofy Sasuke doesn't really fit with that's been happening to his character.

Seda

Kakashi mask episode was pretty funny, though I feel it should have happened after the land of waves arc not when it did. Goofy Sasuke doesn't really fit with that's been happening to his character.

I remember thinking this when I was watching the series way back.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's part of the reason that episode is so good.

Everyone no matter now super serious they are will have that one thing that'll set them off into wacky hijinxs.

That's part of the reason that episode is so good.

Everyone no matter now super serious they are will have that one thing that'll set them off into wacky hijinxs.

But doesn't the next filler arc have super serious sause again? I understand your point but at this point in the series Sasuke is drowning in his desire for revenge that it clouds his judgement

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This mystery is too compelling.

You can even see it develop at the beginning of the episode. For a fraction of a second he just wants to call Sakura and Naruto idiots but then it hits him...

"What is under that mask???"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
hqlurvl2gdgc.gif

seitokai yakunidomo for toonami plz

(along similar,
highly deceptive
lines)
Haha, 2nd season just started, looking forward to seeing it. Kind of surprised for a series that's pretty much "DIRTY JOKES: THE ANIME", there's flat-out no fanservice especially when the focus is on 3 girls.

....also, the Engrish scene is great. I don't know why, but I can't help but laugh when Japanese people swear in English.

Ratings predictions, anyone?

Space Dandy - 1.4M
Bleach - 1.2M
Shippuden - 1M
One Piece - 915K
Soul Eater - 850K
SAO - 800K
FLCL - 725K
Naruto - 800K
Brotherhood - 650K
GitS - 525K
IGPX - 500K
Star Wars - 550K
Inuyasha - 650K

I want to say >1.5mil for dandy, I imagine it was a far larger turn out considering it was a world premier and its after the holidays while most people were/are still on break

Seda

It's possible Shippuden outdraws Bleach, when Naruto 'debuted' a year ago, it didn't rate better than Bleach the first week, but Naruto did outdraw Bleach 4 times in the first 6 weeks.

If I fail to use capital letters and no period it's a good sign I'm not being serious.

If someone asks a question but omits the '?' then I will always assume it's non-serious.

Wait lazybones, why did you get ahead in One Piece? This is not the anime thread, guys. We watch all shows at the same time. Why are you doing this to us? Have you broken your bond with the thread?

I want to say >1.5mil for dandy, I imagine it was a far larger turn out considering it was a world premier and its after the holidays while most people were/are still on break

Eh, I was generous giving Dandy a 1.4, I highly doubt it will crack 1.5; that's a ton of people.

what if bleach outdraws dandy

Possible in the future but highly doubtful this week with all the hype and marketing surrounding Dandy.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

It could very well happen and I wouldn't be surprised if Bleach has better ratings in the long run.

Seda

Being perfectly forward, I don't know if I like people posting impressions of future episodes, even if spoiler tagged, in this thread. Non-Toonami shows too. There are other threads better suited for that.

Being perfectly forward, I don't know if I like people posting impressions of future episodes, even if spoiler tagged, in this thread. Non-Toonami shows too. There are other threads better suited for that.

Break the bonds....of their spinal cords, Seda. Use that attack! /ShonenAlsoThreadMeme

Raxus

Wait lazybones, why did you get ahead in One Piece? This is not the anime thread, guys. We watch all shows at the same time. Why are you doing this to us? Have you broken your bond with the thread?

He isn't our nakama. A word so powerful it cannot be translated!

Eh, I personally don't care about people posting impressions of non-toonami shows, as long as it's spoiler tagged. If people in here want to discuss other anime, why discourage that? I feel like we are more than just a toonami themed thread; this is a really tight-knit community that genuinely enjoys hanging out together, the explosion in weekday activity is proof of that.

Discussion of future content in shows currently airing is a different matter. I don't mind the occasional "next episode is going to blow your mind" stuff but detailed analysis is probably best left to other threads.

I would argue that US animation is pretty much devoid of 'fanservice' in the traditional, sexualized, Japanese sense. I can't pin this on an exact cause but I'll try to take a stab at it.

Reason #1: Attitudes towards sex

The US is more conservative than Japan, especially when it comes to sexuality. Due to this, a lot of Western animated shows skew young or tone down the sexuality in order to skirt the censors/avoid outraging parents or religious organizations.

Reason #2: The perception of animated shows

In the United States animated programming is largely aimed at children. Adult Swim, Comedy Central, and Fox's Sunday block have helped to change that but most of the shows shown on these blocks/channels get their 'adult' pedigree from language, controversy, mature themes, or excessive physical comedy rather than sexualized imagery. Many people view animated shows as juvenile in nature and find it weird or disturbing to see 'fanservice'. Blame society.

Reason #3: Lack of diversity

Since American animated programming doesn't have a history of 'fanservice' or large enough demand, producers haven't tried to incorporate it into their product. The TV business is extremely formulaic and devoid of risk in the United States if you ask me, most studios aren't going to green light a project that they feel won't reach as broad an audience as possible.

Thoughts? These are just my guesses. Sorry if I'm rambling, it's late.

I think that everything you've listed is a factor, but I actually agree with Zonic. I think that western animation has plenty of what the kids call 'fanservice' nowadays - it just gets a pass because its always played off for laughs. That sort of stuff has been in cartoons since the beginning - before 24 hour cartoon networks, before the schism between children's animation and adult animation, before the underground movement, before the Hayes Code - and the one constant in almost all of these things is that it's usually compartmentalized as part of a joke. The characters are still sexualized - mostly women, I'll admit that I haven't seen the western equivalent of Free! in any way, shape or form yet - hips still sway and sashay, fat deposits still bounce with little reason, and while the camera might not zoom in close enough to see the individual keratinocytes on the characters' skin, there's still a fair bit of focus on whatever physical aesthetics the storyboarder's into.

Furthermore, while I'll admit that it's toned down, I'd say that it's only toned down a little bit - a scooch, if you will - and strictly for the sake of the jokes that accompany them. Objectively, the jokey nature of western cheesecake is the only thing that separates stuff like Red Hot Riding Hood (or the nameless scores of generic showgirls in sitcom cartoons like The Flintstones or The Simpsons, or pretty much every va-va-voom character in most kids cartoons) from all but the most pervy of broadcast anime. It softens them, so the censors are happy, and the character designers and storyboarders can make up all sorts of goody sight gags as a red herring so that they can draw bombshells on the job. And even though the aforementioned cartoons would seem pretty tame now, people complained about that stuff the same way that they do about fanservice in anime now.

In fact, I'd argue that the only reason that fanservice is ebbing out from children's cartoons nowadays is because of the general shift to 3D animation - there's so much delegation in the newer animation styles that fanservice is too difficult to sneak in. Members of the staff seem to cope with this by burying the shows with huge amounts of references to other fictional works instead. Plus, nowadays animators draw cheesecake when they're off the clock instead, on various hosting sites like Tumblr and D-A and
Newgrounds, oh wow, I tried to type that out without the spoiler but I couldn't
- professionals and amateurs alike.

Having said all that...I haven't seen Space Dandy yet. I had to deal with some heavy stuff Saturday night, and the mixed reactions have kind of scared me off from watching last week's episode, so I think I'll just wait until the next episode airs.

I really try to take conversations in interesting directions, but often times, it feels like...

Old_man_yells_at_cloud_by_Badonk.jpg

(TT_TT) *returns to corner*

That's what happens when you use the old definition of fanservice - you get weird stares. The word is a synonym for 'cheesecake' now. 'Fanservice' has changed, and now that Plot and Backstory are under total control... 'fanservice' has become routine.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I enjoy your insight, SAB

I thank ya! I think I'm fated to never master message board-fu; either I post too much, and a conversation dies, or too little, and the conversation turns into pointing out the things I considered, but avoided typing due to an attempt to be brief, lol.

A personal quirk that annoys me to no end! Which has nothing to do with Toonami, so I'll drop it at that!

I thank ya! I think I'm fated to never master message board-fu; either I post too much, and a conversation dies, or too little, and the conversation turns into pointing out the things I considered, but avoided typing due to an attempt to be brief, lol.

A personal quirk that annoys me to no end! Which has nothing to do with Toonami, so I'll drop it at that!

sxNeg6Ns.jpg

I have the exact same problem! Looks like we were born under a bad sign. I'll follow suit by also dropping this topic!

Seda

SAB CA is a good poster. Gives well worded impressions and opinions, and stays amicable when he disagrees or posts an alternative opinion. (Not to say others in the thread aren't good posters too.)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Objectively, the jokey nature of western cheesecake is the only thing that separates stuff like Red Hot Riding Hood (or the nameless scores of generic showgirls in sitcom cartoons like The Flintstones or The Simpsons, or pretty much every va-va-voom character in most kids cartoons) from all but the most pervy of broadcast anime. It softens them, so the censors are happy, and the character designers and storyboarders can make up all sorts of goody sight gags as a red herring so that they can draw bombshells on the job.

It's great to look back at old cartoons and notice how deceptively sexy every female character ends up being, in one way or another. And most of them were of a decent age, and played off their sexuality in much more sneaky ways; through charming looks, over-animated tosses of hair, or a subtle pose flashed in the middle of any action or comedy scene.

I think at times, it's totally a reflection of the taste of the creators, and the audience. If your most fetching women of the day are elegant ladies, you'll draw that. If your hottest babes are known by the tight clothes, awkward candid photos that spread in celeb tabloids, and being celeberties that never did anything to make them famous, well, that's what we get.

That's what happens when you use the old definition of fanservice - you get weird stares. The word is a synonym for 'cheesecake' now. 'Fanservice' has changed, and now that Plot and Backstory are under total control... 'fanservice' has become routine.

But it's so out of touch to think that shows made by production staffs that have been workin' at anime forever, are simply looking at their works with definitions that are less than 10 years old.

Not that you can really BLAME anyone for thinking such a way, with the stupid amounts of needless, substance-less sexual fanservice that exist now-a-days. But I like to think works from big-name companies and artist approach even their themes from a multi-layered perspective, rather than playing everything by surface-level concepts and understanding.

sxNeg6Ns.jpg

I have the exact same problem! Looks like we were born under a bad sign. I'll follow suit by also dropping this topic!

XD Maybe someday, in the history of old message board post, these long forgotten words will be fondly remembered! Or not. The internet is weird.

SAB CA is a good poster. Gives well worded impressions and opinions, and stays amicable when he disagrees or posts an alternative opinion. (Not to say others in the thread aren't good posters too.)

Thanks Seda :) I'll never be anywhere near the post count of the "Wall of Shame" posters, so sometimes I feel a bit apart from the thread, outside of DUMPS, so I end up feeling as if I need to catch up on opinions that would otherwise be posted as shows and stuff go on. Though I must admit, it's great being able to reflect on Toonami after the fact... feels much more like an event, rather than some throwaway TV programming block.

Ratings haven't been released yet but we do have this:

Kicking off Adult Swim’s popular TOONAMI block in 2014 on Saturday night, Bleach (12 a.m.), One Piece (1 a.m.), and Soul Eater (1:30 a.m.) each ranked #1 in their respective timeslots among adults 18-24 and men 18-24 & 18-34. The series premiere of Space Dandy (11:30 p.m.) ranked #1 in its time period with men 18-24 & 18-34. Naruto(12:30 a.m.) and Sword Art Online (2 a.m.) ranked #1 in their respective timeslots among men 18-24.

I'm surprised Shippuden didn't rank #1 in its timeslot, my prediction of 1M is probably going to be wrong. We might be looking at 900K or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom