• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly, highly doubt we'll be getting a sextuple any time soon, if at all. There's been tremendous growth for toonami over the past year but I just have a hard time believing the block can carry 1M+ viewers for 3 hours straight.

I'd happily eat crow though.

I highly, highly doubt we'll be getting a sextuple any time soon, if at all. There's been tremendous growth for toonami over the past year but I just have a hard time believing the block can carry 1M+ viewers for 3 hours straight.

You don't believe hard enough, Gucci.

You need to believe. :(

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

We've had pentamill before and the only thing stopping us from sextuplemil there was the late hour and an unpopular show, now we've got an earlier time and a world premier. It's coming, maybe not this week, but it's possible now.

We're gonna get soon or maybe you should get that checked out

Don't worry, it's a psychic ability that's been passed down the B-dubs line for generations!

KWtZtlG.gif

We've had pentamill before and the only thing stopping us from sextuplemil there was the late hour and an unpopular show, now we've got an earlier time and a world premier. It's coming, maybe not this week, but it's possible now.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just highly unlikely in my opinion. Bleach, and to a lesser extent Naruto, are the only shows that have consistently cracked the 1M barrier.

One Piece averages around 900K viewers a night and has slipped below that multiple times. Soul Eater hasn't topped 1M since August. SAO has settled into the 750-800K range after a very strong start. Dandy should rate well the first week or two due to the hype of a world premier but I'm not entirely convinced it will have legs. Signs point to Shippuden having a lackluster debut, we'll see how that plays out though.

Outside of a magical night where the planets align, I just don't think it's very likely that we will see a sextuple based off of available data and current trends.

Kicking off Adult Swim’s popular TOONAMI block in 2014 on Saturday night, Bleach (12 a.m.), One Piece (1 a.m.), and Soul Eater (1:30 a.m.) each ranked #1 in their respective timeslots among adults 18-24 and men 18-24 & 18-34. The series premiere of Space Dandy (11:30 p.m.) ranked #1 in its time period with men 18-24 & 18-34. Naruto (12:30 a.m.) and Sword Art Online (2 a.m.) ranked #1 in their respective timeslots among men 18-24

Gentlemen, start your engines.

Seda

well here are most of the numbers [edit: updated]

11:30PM Space Dandy 0.8 HH, 1.153 million
12:00AM Bleach 0.8 HH, 1.084 million
12:30AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.7 HH, 933,000
1:00AM One Piece 0.6 HH, 856,000
1:30AM Soul Eater 0.6 HH, 866,000
2:00AM Sword Art Online 0.6 HH, 773,000
2:30AM Fooly Cooly 0.5 HH, 605,000
3:00AM Naruto 0.5 HH, 685,000
3:30AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.4 HH, 532,000
4:00AM Ghost in the Shell 0.4 HH, 500,000
4:30AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.4 HH, 462,000
5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.4 HH, 531,000
5:30AM Inuyasha 0.4 HH, 547,000

Seda

The Naruto (not Shippuden) bump is interesting

edit: ah they updated. Perhaps a tad lower than I expected, Bleach is usually just high of 1 million and I wondered if Space Dandy could notably beat that. NFL playoffs were over by then but there are post game things of course.

god damn it I hate cable companies so much.

I wasn't getting Cartoon Network HD for some reason so they sent a guy down for 5 minutes, he told me I don't the HD channels I'm missing anymore even though I still pay for them and charged me 50 bucks even though the visit should have been free.

Soul Eater beat One Piece. bleh.

also i'm not sure why you guys are surprised about the original Naruto. it's been over a year since that episode ran and the series is incredibly popular.

Numbers are even lower then I predicted. Sorry guys but the sextuple-mil just ain't happening with the current line-up.

Dandy was especially disappointing, I was optimistic with my 1.4M prediction but I thought it would at least pull in a 1.2

Seda

Soul Eater beat One Piece. bleh.

also i'm not sure why you guys are surprised about the original Naruto. it's been over a year since that episode ran and the series is incredibly popular.

I was kind of just pointing it out

well here are most of the numbers [edit: updated]

Man, Space Dandy didn't do near as much as I thought it would. I expected at least 1.5 million. But maybe I'm just crazy. Shippuden not breaking a million is also disappointing to me. But that's more me loving Naruto. I guess it still did pretty okay. At least regular Naruto did pretty damn good. I guess people love themselves some kid Naruto. Curious to see how well Clone Wars will keep doing in that time slot. Hopefully it bombs. Also, damn this country for making FLCL get such low ratings. Bunch of heathens. They wouldn't know good tv if it bit them in the ass.

Expecting at least 1.5 for Space Dandy is just setting yourself up for disappointment, that's a crazy high number for toonami. To do Family Guy re-run numbers it would have to be mainstream, I'm convinced DBZ is the only show that could do that at this point.

I'm guessing Dandy will hover around 1M for the next few weeks but I wouldn't be surprised to see the show take a hit if it mirrors the trajectory of the first episode.

Expecting at least 1.5 for Space Dandy is just setting yourself up for disappointment, that's a crazy high number for toonami. To do Family Guy re-run numbers it would have to be mainstream, I'm convinced DBZ is the only show that could do that at this point.

I'm guessing Dandy will hover around 1M for the next few weeks but I wouldn't be surprised to see the show take a hit if it mirrors the trajectory of the first episode.

I guess I just expected anime fans to finally put their money where their mouth is. Maybe all the people with Nielsen boxes are sub fans.

Or maybe Toonami's big audience is largely action shonen based and a more comedic show doesn't bring in as many of the regular audience

The promos showed plenty of action and boobies and apparently lots of people were confused about what kind of show it was gonna be. Besides, something with that kind of pedigree should have a big following no matter what kind of show it is.

I'll fight you after you drive to my house up the hill in the snow.
Damn, Bass. Learn to quote. Your posts are all split up.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Family Guy pulled like 2+ million in the 11:30 slot a couple weeks ago. Space Dandy really needs to be doing around 1.5 more weeks than not to be worth having it there for the network, I think.

The numbers are still fine considering their lead-ins, though. Those are pretty weak numbers for the 10:30/11 slots compared to what they could/should be. The audience attrition from Boondocks to Space Dandy was also about the space as Boondocks from Family Guy, and the audience more or less stayed for Bleach, so those are all positive signs.

I guess I just expected anime fans to finally put their money where their mouth is. Maybe all the people with Nielsen boxes are sub fans.
That's completely fair, I'm not trying to pick on you Schadenfreude. I just think people set some unrealistic and unreasonably high expectations for Dandy that are going to be hard to live up to. When the show is being hyped as 'the savior of anime' I kind of roll my eyes as a skeptic. I want Dandy to succeed just as badly as everyone else but try to balance my excitement and cynicism.

That's completely fair, I'm not trying to pick on you Schadenfreude. I just think people set some unrealistic and unreasonably high expectations for Dandy that are going to be hard to live up to. When the show is being hyped as 'the savior of anime' I kind of roll my eyes as a skeptic. I want Dandy to succeed just as badly as everyone else but try to balance my excitement and cynicism.

Its not the "savior of anime" but the idea of a world premier airing first before Japan could and should have done better. It was the highest rated show on the block and hopefully will continue to do so but its easy to be disappointed that more anime fans didn't come out to support.

I know it might seem unrealistic but this...

Family Guy pulled like 2+ million in the 11:30 slot a couple weeks ago. Space Dandy really needs to be doing around 1.5 more weeks than not to be worth having it there for the network, I think.
is another reason I thought it would have done better. 11:30 is super early. For that reason alone it should have done better than the regular Toonami line-up. Maybe I overestimated the effect of an earlier timeslot. Maybe people really do just love repeats of Family Guy and other crap.

Hopefully AoT will be ready to go once Space Dandy finishes I think its a big enough named show to go at 11:30 as opposed to falling down to 1:30 -2:30

Amikami

Banned
Could have been better. Was expecting Shippuden to draw higher. My realistic expectation was a bit over a mill for the first hour and a half. That's about what I expected from Space Dandy honestly. Watanabi or not, I didn't expect to see crashing numbers,

Glad to see Naruto prt 1 indeed draws back some numbers. Otherwise, this is a bit below what I expected but not too bad, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom