• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those numbers are okay you guys.

The first night really doesn't mean that much. We were like 5 weeks into a new lineup when we got our first quadmillion.

I don't want them to take away the extra 30 minutes. It'll mean we failed them.

Let's just wait and see before we get worried about losing the slot, Space Dandy was the highest rated show on the block and if it continues to do so that may warrant the spot being kept by Toonami. As we've noted before they could easily cut all anime and just make 6 hours of family guy reruns and have higher ratings, but they let toonami stay to bring in a different audience

Its not the "savior of anime" but the idea of a world premier airing first before Japan could and should have done better. It was the highest rated show on the block and hopefully will continue to do so but its easy to be disappointed that more anime fans didn't come out to support.

I agree that it could have and should have done better but I'm thinking 1.2 or 1.3, which is what Bleach generally does, was more realistic than 1.5+

I wouldn't be surprised if Bleach starts to out rate Dandy and they move it. Maybe I'm being premature, we'll have to see where the show goes next week.

I know it might seem unrealistic but this...

is another reason I thought it would have done better. 11:30 is super early. For that reason alone it should have done better than the regular Toonami line-up. Maybe I overestimated the effect of an earlier timeslot. Maybe people really do just love repeats of Family Guy and other crap.

Anime is still niche in America, expecting Dandy to do the same numbers as The Boondocks or Family Guy is misguided. I mean, Family Guy nearly got a 2.0 on Thursday showing a re-run!

You've got to realize that Family Guy is a borderline cultural phenomena here in the states, Space Dandy is a new property in a niche market. Yes it has a stellar pedigree but expecting the show to rival Adult Swim heavyweights when there's no established history is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I have serious doubts that a show that seems to be as comedy focused as Dandy will be able to continue manning the lead in spot. The humor was incredibly hit or miss, as evidenced by the polarizing comments in the OT, and that could cause problems.

Those numbers are okay you guys.

The first night really doesn't mean that much. We were like 5 weeks into a new lineup when we got our first quadmillion.

The numbers are below average across the board.

I don't think it's realistic to expect sextuple, or even quad-mil based off of current trends.

Let's just wait and see before we get worried about losing the slot, Space Dandy was the highest rated show on the block and if it continues to do so that may warrant the spot being kept by Toonami. As we've noted before they could easily cut all anime and just make 6 hours of family guy reruns and have higher ratings, but they let toonami stay to bring in a different audience

Being the highest rated show on the block doesn't mean much when the number isn't that high.

But it's not a gigantic drop, if fg and boondocks had done like 2.2 and 1.8 then dandy was at 1.1 it be a bigger reason to panic. 1.7 -> 1.4 -> 1.1 really isn't that horrible of a drop.
Dandy was being hyped up across the internet and given a moderate marketing push yet still failed to pull in what Bleach generally averages. Numbers were down across the board and it's only week one but there is certainly reason to be on edge. It needs higher ratings to justify being in the 11:30 spot if you ask me.

This is probably most important.

What competition is there at 11:30 EST? The local news? I don't think that matters very much to be honest, most toonami shows were number one in their demo.

Dandy was being hyped up across the internet and given a moderate marketing push yet still failed to pull in what Bleach generally averages. Numbers were down across the board and it's only week one but there is certainly reason to be on edge. It needs higher ratings to justify being in the 11:30 spot if you ask me.

I imagine if we outright swapped bleach and dandy there numbers would stay pretty consistent. I think you're being overly critical and maybe slightly bias as bleach is your favorite show and you were luke warm on dandy. What you're saying may come to pass, buts its a bit early to make that kind of call.

But it's not a gigantic drop, if fg and boondocks had done like 2.2 and 1.8 then dandy was at 1.1 it be a bigger reason to panic. 1.7 -> 1.4 -> 1.1 really isn't that horrible of a drop.

It's not about how the shows before are doing. It's about the fact that it's not doing any better than regular Toonami. Like I already said above, it should have been way higher than what it was by virtue of being a whole 'nother half hour earlier alone. If it's going to do average Toonami numbers at an earlier time slot then there'd be no point in springing for the extra time. And the ratings will surely be higher during the premiere when we have people who don't know what to expect. Now that people have seen what kind of show it is, they might not feel compelled to watch it again. I'm not freaking out or anything, but the ratings certainly aren't anything to be proud of.

I imagine if we outright swapped bleach and dandy there numbers would stay pretty consistent. I think you're being overly critical and maybe slightly bias as bleach is your favorite show and you were luke warm on dandy. What you're saying may come to pass, buts its a bit early to make that kind of call.
I'm not biased at all, just stating an opinion backed up with sound reasoning and facts. What do I care if Bleach has higher ratings than Space Dandy? I want the block to be successful period, I don't play favorites and believe it's unfair to draw that conclusion based off of what I've said.

I think people are a little too sensitive when Dandy gets criticized. I gave the first episode a 7/10 (rated Bleach a 5 last week) and have said numerous times that I am looking forward to where the series goes. I'm not going to ignore the bad writing and questionable pacing and act like Dandy was perfect though. If that makes me 'biased' then so be it.

I think Space Dandy did pretty well considering there are more than one way to watch it.

The show just needs to hit its stride now and the numbers will keep going up.

bigkrev

The Saturday night NFL game was the highest rated Saturday night game ever, doing a 19.1 and 34 million plus viewers, and didn't end until about 11:30. That had to hurt Dandy this week.

Seda

Just for reference, the comparable numbers for last year.

Time Series Rating
12:00 AM Bleach 1,164,000
12:30 AM Naruto 1,235,000
1:00 AM Thundercats 951,000
1:30 AM Samurai 7 929,000
2:00 AM Sym-Bionic Titan 814,000
2:30 AM Eureka Seven 704,000
3:00 AM Tenchi Muyo! GXP 722,000
3:30 AM Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 728,000
4:00 AM Cowboy Bebop 730,000
4:30 AM Cowboy Bebop 701,000
5:00 AM Inuyasha 719,000
5:30 AM Inuyasha 688,000

The Saturday night NFL game was the highest rated Saturday night game ever, doing a 19.1 and 34 million plus viewers, and didn't end until about 11:30. That had to hurt Dandy this week.

Oh. I didn't know that. Certainly could have affected the ratings. I feel a teensy bit better no.

Amikami

Banned
Yep. Before getting too panicky, lets give Dandy a few weeks to get going. I think it's likely to do fine in the long run.

See? How could Naruto at a later time slot have done better than an 11:30 world premiere? Now i'm back to worrying.

well I guess toonami is doomed then

can we still have these topics if toonami goes under?
We'll just call ourselves "SaturdayNightAnimeGAF" instead. Doesn't quite roll of the tongue though.

The Saints-Eagles game ended around 11:15

People watch the post-game analysis, right? ;_;

Time Series Rating
12:00 AM Bleach 1,164,000
12:30 AM Naruto 1,235,000
1:00 AM Thundercats 951,000
1:30 AM Samurai 7 929,000
2:00 AM Sym-Bionic Titan 814,000
2:30 AM Eureka Seven 704,000
3:00 AM Tenchi Muyo! GXP 722,000
3:30 AM Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 728,000
4:00 AM Cowboy Bebop 730,000
4:30 AM Cowboy Bebop 701,000
5:00 AM Inuyasha 719,000
5:30 AM Inuyasha 688,000

So the numbers are down from last year even with the premieres of Space Dandy and Shippuden bolstering a roster featuring One Piece and Soul Eater. It's not like there weren't two wildcard games played last year so football can't really be used as an excuse.

11:30PM Space Dandy 0.8 HH, 1.153 million
12:00AM Bleach 0.8 HH, 1.084 million
12:30AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.7 HH, 933,000
1:00AM One Piece 0.6 HH, 856,000
1:30AM Soul Eater 0.6 HH, 866,000
2:00AM Sword Art Online 0.6 HH, 773,000
2:30AM Fooly Cooly 0.5 HH, 605,000
3:00AM Naruto 0.5 HH, 685,000
3:30AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.4 HH, 532,000
4:00AM Ghost in the Shell 0.4 HH, 500,000
4:30AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.4 HH, 462,000
5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.4 HH, 531,000
5:30AM Inuyasha 0.4 HH, 547,000

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Saints-Eagles game ended around 11:15

Yes but it was a big game, people could very well have been watching with friends or at a bar. Besides unlike every other new show we've gotten Dandy had no real word of mouth. I have no doubt it will do better as time passes, especially if the show is good. Let's give it a few weeks before we actually panic. I mean remember how SAO kept doing well until everyone figured out it was crap?

Seda

Last year's NFL game (same day as the ratings I posted) was Vikings @ Packers, if anyone cares to compare team significance.

I should probably get around to watching that first episode of Space Dandy, huh

Maybe tomorrow.

People watch the post-game analysis, right? ;_;

I'm sure there are, I personally don't though.

Yes but it was a big game, people could very well have been watching with friends or at a bar. Besides unlike every other new show we've gotten Dandy had no real word of mouth. I have no doubt it will do better as time passes, especially if the show is good. Let's give it a few weeks before we actually panic. I mean remember how SAO kept doing well until everyone figured out it was crap?

Then why did The Boondocks and Family Guy manage to pull in 1.4+ when the game was at it's most exciting? I'd think that the people who enjoy those shows would be more likely on average to watch football than the Space Dandy crowd.

I don't see how you can argue that Space Dandy didn't have any 'word of mouth' or a marketing push. The show was hyped up all over the internet and social media due to it's pedigree, the toonami tumblr specifically was pimping it out well in advance. I saw ads on television too.

SAO did well and then nosedived when people realized the writing wasn't going to get any better. Hopefully the same doesn't happen to Dandy, I think it has a ton of potential although I am not as high on it as some others here.

Last year's NFL game (same day as the ratings I posted) was Vikings @ Packers, if anyone cares to compare team significance.

Maybe tomorrow.

The Packers are one of the most popular franchises in the NFL, I'm pretty sure they rank in the top 5 of league merch sales year in and year out. I'm sure the game was widely viewed.

Seda

Sword Art Online's best two ratings were episode 3 and 4.

That's the Sachi episode and the Silica episode.

lol

Sword Art Online's best two ratings were episode 3 and 4.

That's the Sachi episode and the Silica episode.

lol
Those were the only two times it broke 1M, correct? Since then SAO has steadily declined to the 750-800K range.

I will never forget the guild murder episode though. So many good reactions, haha!

Maybe tomorrow.

well, we know this game was higher-rated than last year. i guess the question is by how much. and i'm not really about to go digging through the Internet so i can make some guesses about a system i really don't know much about based on like a fraction of the actual data.

Mature

Before we analyze every number and draw every conclusion, remember what DeMarco always says about ratings: One night isn't ever indicative of failure or success; ratings are a long-term game. If Space Dandy is still doing consistently mediocre to okay ratings five to six weeks from now, that's probably when it's time to start expecting to lose the 11:30 slot.

Or not. I don't know anything about this industry.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think the real question is if Toonami themselves see that as a success which they could given their expectations seem to be a tad lower.

Before we analyze every number and draw every conclusion, remember what DeMarco always says about ratings: One night isn't ever indicative of failure or success; ratings are a long-term game. If Space Dandy is still doing consistently mediocre to okay ratings five to six weeks from now, that's probably when it's time to start expecting to lose the 11:30 slot.

Or not. I don't know anything about this industry.

I don't think anyone is of the mindset that Dandy is 'doomed' off of one week of ratings; there's just some shock that it didn't put up huge numbers. 1M+ is nothing to brush under the rug but it failed to live up to some lofty expectations. I do agree that if Dandy is still hovering around 1M a month from now that it might get shuffled (just speculation, we don't know the details of the deal) but it's okay to be a little worried after the week one performance.

I'm sure Dandy will be ok in the long run though.

I think the real question is if Toonami themselves see that as a success which they could given their expectations seem to be a tad lower.

that's very true. i remember the second week of One Piece dropped to below 800k and they were like "that's about what we expected." i do wonder if Toonami's expectations are in line with Adult Swim's expectations, though.

I think the biggest issue is that Adult Swim has no reason not to put Family Guy back at 11:30 when Space Dandy is over.

well, ratings aren't the only factor here. if they were, they'd pretty much have no reason for the block to exist.

but then i've always kind of expected we would lose 11:30 when Space Dandy wraps up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom