• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amikami

Banned
HOLY SHIT. I had either forgotten or never noticed that Naruto OP 5 has two different versions. One pre lee surgery, one post.

Another difference is Kimimaru is featured in the second version, while he is not in the first. Fighting dreamers too has two different versions. Maybe more openings but I don't know.

Mature

svDOGvO.png

sEiB4OH.png
Praise to the Lich.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Another difference is Kimimaru is featured in the second version, while he is not in the first. Fighting dreamers too has two different versions. Maybe more openings but I don't know.

Yep, pre and post Tsunade. I remember that one.

This one was weird. I'm was convinced that gif was from OP 5, I go and look it up and...it's not there! So I check all the other OPs until I finally check and episode during the Kimmimaro part (Ye olde Sound 4+1) and went oooooh.

Moaradin

Naruto has a few openings with multiple versions. I remember a couple from Shippuden as well.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ahhh, love the QT picture! She's adorable <3

Also xD at the SA:O picture. Scene Missing indeed.

I really need to find a way to stick QT into the Mega-Pic of Dandy that's workin' up. I got Meow in there! I liked her Autotune screaming last night too, lol. So chill and oddly soothing...

About the SA- *MEMORY DELETED!*

Fabtastic stuff SAB!

Thanks! I always get a bit bummed when a pic DOESN'T post to Miiverse (The Bleach X Dandy one), but I'm glad it didn't effect the rest of the pics, lol.

Good morning... or afternoon ToonamiGaf

Shippuden, GITS, and SAO are my faves. XD

Good Later Afternoon! XD Some of my Fav's from the night too.

They're all really good. Soul Eater might be my favorite.

I never though I'd hear anyone mention it! Haha. I messed up on a few of the angles, and "CAN'D SERVICE" was harder to read than I wanted it to be... And I totally ignored D.t.Kidd, even if he and the Thompsons actually DID stuff that episode, lol.

Great pictures SAB CA. Love your detail. And your line work is always really good.

Thanks! I'm one of those who actually likes expressive linework in pics even more than color, so I'm glad if that comes through.

I find it amazing how divided this weeks Space Dandy was, the thread seemed to be overly positive about it yet reactions in the dandy ot and anime gaf were mixed to negative and not in the usual "dandy isn't for me" kind of way

I actually liked this episode more than most, because it actually made Dandy worthy of being a main character (HE DID SOMETHING GOOD, OMGASH!), and it just felt more even than most eps.

As much as I loved Ramen Pops, I actually though Dandy's ENTIRELY SERIOUS THROUGHT THE WHOLE CONVO act was WAY out of character. I LIKED it on it's own, but it kinda made me dislike Dandy's usual demeanor more in retrospect, if that makes sense.

I was actually really happy to see Bleach's OP back. But to get all of Dandy's would be a solid Tradeoff!

Awesome, really like the OP for Space Dandy (which is rare, I tend to skip OPs most of the time) so hopefully we'll see it later this month or the next.

Back in the DVD days, my Marathon-only rule was "Watch the first episode's full OP, watch the last ep's full ED, make exceptions for changing OPs and EDs" otherwise, always watch the full things. Used the time to discuss ideas from eps and whatnot.

They also oftentimes have the best animation the show will ever see.

On a semi-related note, I really like New Years Bumps on Toonami. Kakashi's "I don't think I can take it anymore!" one is perfect for a bump, and Toshiro's "Many Battles still await" is a great way to point out just how many more hours of Toonami still remain after Dandy closes.

I have to say this Rock Lee show is awesome. I actually never knew Tenten existed when I first read the manga.

painting
zlCfzRAByF0dHDbEOw

TenTen always reminds me of Hsien-Ko / Lei Lei from Darkstalkers, so I'd like her by default! So I'm always glad to hear she gets a chance to actually develop a personality in Rock Howard's Lee's chibi adventures.

Jintor

So do you think if we ask Toonami to never put tentacle molestation and pseudo-incest on their block again they'll actually fucking listen

MikeMyers

painting
zlCfzRAByF0dHDbEOw

TenTen always reminds me of Hsien-Ko / Lei Lei from Darkstalkers, so I'd like her by default! So I'm always glad to hear she gets a chance to actually develop a personality in Rock Howard's Lee's chibi adventures.

It's not that I dislike Tenten or anything. I'm more angry at Kishimoto for wasting the little potential that character had to be interesting. I didn't even know who she was until I was reading about the series on forums.

So do you think if we ask Toonami to never put tentacle molestation and pseudo-incest on their block again they'll actually fucking listen

REPLACE SAO WITH FINAL ACT DUH

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
@ MikeMyers - Yeah, it's a pet peeve of mine with modern Shonen; introduce characters that could do SO much more, than then barely use them in hundreds of episodes / chapters, etc.

But maybe it works to increase fandom of the character, by making them develop their own stories and theories... bleh.

@Jintor - NOPE! As anime advances, it seems harder and harder to find shows that don't reference such aspects in one way or another in their lives... so I wouldn't expect to see less as time goes on...

For those that know, is Sugu as off-put about liking her brother in the JP as she is in the Dub? While this is a situation that gets played with WAY too much in Japanese Media, I'm surprised she actually seems to view it nearly as taboo as we do, rather than trying to speak herself into why it's not a big deal.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we see creepy elements make their way into Space Dandy by run's end, too...

MikeMyers

@ MikeMyers - Yeah, it's a pet peeve of mine with modern Shonen; introduce characters that could do SO much more, than then barely use them in hundreds of episodes / chapters, etc.

But maybe it works to increase fandom of the character, by making them develop their own stories and theories... bleh.

Except LORD SESSHOMARU, he'll never fall out of relevance. Even in FINAL ACT.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Except LORD SESSHOMARU, he'll never fall out of relevance. Even in FINAL ACT.

Well of course! He's from a time when large cast were actually well handled, didn't grow beyond their writers ability to develop them, and didn't seem like a new character was introduces simply to keep the writer from having to develop a previously seen one!

The only thing I disliked about LORD SESSHOMARU at times, is that he felt a bit aimless, for someone who is so awesome and revered. You would expect one as great as him to lead a band, or have a place in the world that highly respects and reveres him. Instead, it seems he just darts around, hangs out with Rin, A-UN, and Jaken, and only does something when Inuyasha insults his lineage enough by actually doing good as a half-breed.

It makes me take his dynamic with Jaken and Rin in the wrong direction, as if he's a lonely and lowly demon that has them around to make him feel special.. when he really amounts to nothing on a grand scale... :-/

MikeMyers

Well of course! He's from a time when large cast were actually well handled, didn't grow beyond their writers ability to develop them, and didn't seem like a new character was introduces simply to keep the writer from having to develop a previously seen one!

The only thing I disliked about LORD SESSHOMARU at times, is that he felt a bit aimless, for someone who is so awesome and revered. You would expect one as great as him to lead a band, or have a place in the world that highly respects and reveres him. Instead, it seems he just darts around, hangs out with Rin, A-UN, and Jaken, and only does something when Inuyasha insults his lineage enough by actually doing good as a half-breed.

It makes me take his dynamic with Jaken and Rin in the wrong direction, as if he's a lonely and lowly demon that has them around to make him feel special.. when he really amounts to nothing on a grand scale... :-/

He does have his own band! You forgot about his fangirl Kagura, and in FINAL ACT
Kohaku
becomes fanboy too.

BBboy20

Watching Dandy with my Brother tonight!

Hope it isn't as boob filled as the preview.
=O

Prostate exam. Colon cancer is serious business.
Naruto should check up his lungs while he's at it.

Robocop reboot, still not sure how to feel about this
We all should probably watch Elite Squad instead.

I miss Casshern Sins.

tumblr_lvma92FETA1qhv5ilo1_500.gif
We need an extreme-action game out of that franchise.

Guys, Devil's Due is actually more realistic than you think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHP0y8vR-w
D=(?)

Still surprises me that Nami and Medusa are both Luci Christian.
I'm surprised she's the Narrator in Okami-san.

Platinum needs to make a Soul Eater game
They can like dissect Bayonetta's play styles into 3+ separate characters....

Does this show have a major backlash because it was clearly not to be taken seriously?

BRAINS, JACK. VR TRAINING. DON'T WAKE THE STUDENTS, JACK
OMG You know it's fucked up when googly eyes are more dramatically horrifying then this shit.

Looks like we could use some raiden in get some brain saving up in hear.
We can never escape Plat-should-make-everything posts, can we?

I really should see this show

HA HA, GIRLS AREN'T GOOD AT MATH OR TECH

I GET IT
There is no excuse for her to just press right there with the seconds she had!

IT'S LIKE A DREAM. STRAIGHT TO THE BRAIN!
The Rules don't apply to this game apparently.

Did you just join the *thatgif* club?

THIS FUCKING SHOW THIS MOTHERFUCKING SHOW. EDWARD ELRIC IS A WEIRDO RAPIST SLUG. WHY I FUCKING HATE YOU, SAO FUCK YOU.
And to think I Kickstarted his Star Trek show! D= (kid kid....I think)

how do you guys watch this show week in and week out.
I thought the same thing with GPX. We don't know why we torture ourselves.

ZTMDf8v.gif

I'M IN LOVE WITH MY BROTHER
You know, it was this moment that thought that blowing your brains out was a good idea but I can easily see the previous scene would have done just that going by the reactions.

Even otakus I know who are super cool defend this show. It's like Bizarro world when it comes to this show in my circle. Like the closest thing to being in the American Civil War.

Best part? The tentacle monster isn't even the worst scene in the series hahahaha

just wait til a few episodes.
colbertscared.gif

This show is pure satan spawn, may god have mercy on us all when season 2 comes on.
HvX6ETB_zps2ef043c6.png

This episode in a nutshell:

i3xRhSYBelI5p.gif
We need SAO bonfires or something.

If there has ever been an time to justify that image, this show would be it.

Why would Vic Mignogna agree to play that thing? How do you read for the part of Rapist Slug Number 2?
Do musicians even read the material they usually score?

Twilight has a better love story than SAO, Twilight finally won
And we are all fucked due to this fact.

Vic's amazing. He championed Funi to get Ouran so hard, he's actually a true fan and a big one. That makes him a VA after my own heart.
Also a huge Trekkie. I helped Kickstart his Star Trek series.

Why cant they just air the Rock Lee show instead?
That's mostly all I think with every "new" episode of Shippuden. Like where is he?

Bradley is like Kratos except better.

Determinator til the end.
Jesus, you can't escape from them.

Motherfucking Edward Elric. There is no one more boss than that crazy bastard.
......except for (almost) rape virtual women.......

IGPX has good music but a terrible soundtrack.
I wonder if Demarco ever thought of an anime of Splinter Cell.

There is no justice in this world.

Do OP/EP makers have a better idea on how to depict shows then the creators themselves?

To think. We never got to a plot line where Takashi's sister fell in love with him. Damn shame.
To kill or not to kill...

Wait, they actually keep the original runs?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Inuyasha doesnt have a large cast, well relatively to something like bleach anyways, and even some of the cast are either old people who live in a village or travels on their own so they dont have to have that much focus, but even then if MM is to be believed Koga gets forgotten after this arc is done and the anime actually adds scenes in.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
He does have his own band! You forgot about his fangirl Kagura, and in FINAL ACT
Kohaku
becomes fanboy too.

But BANKOTSU has a better combat-band! And that... I dunno... that just seems wrong!

I'm surprised she's the Narrator in Okami-san.

I kinda wish Okami-san was on Toonami. The way the Narrator basically speaks for every tried and true anime fan as the show goes on...

... I'd love to see how she'd react to SAO.

(Having seen that and Book of Bantorra recently, I have to wonder how either would do on Toonami. I really enjoyed Bantorra, and it's really the kind of shows I'd wish Toonami had.)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Inuyasha doesnt have a large cast, well relatively to something like bleach anyways, and even some of the cast are either old people who live in a village or travels on their own so they dont have to have that much focus, but even then if MM is to be believed Koga gets forgotten after this arc is done and the anime actually adds scenes in.

It does a good job of using characters for what they're worth each arc, and then either killing them or setting them away after being through with them. I like how Takahashi and even the Anime crew knew when to stop introducing people, and just let the main cast take center stage, and develop (even if it's slowly).

Bleach would probably take a character like Miroku and make 3 characters out of him; instead of seeing MIroku's Monk, Perverse, and and Loving sides, they'd all be split into 1 dimension characters for the sake of making a new design.

... I actually like the fact SAO has a pretty reasonable sized cast. For all the jokes of it being a Haremish show, it feels like a fairly focused tale of the interactions of a core cast.

Jintor

... I actually like the fact SAO has a pretty reasonable sized cast. For all the jokes of it being a Haremish show, it feels like a fairly focused tale of the interactions of a core cast.

It's pretty much just Kirito + designated female companion, as far as I can tell.

There's a bit of periphery characters but they really don't end up doing a lot. (Not that designated female companion gets to do a lot either.)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Does this show have a major backlash because it was clearly not to be taken seriously?

Most of G Gundam's detractors come from the perspective as fans back then.

Not only is the premise silly (Giant Robot Gladiatorial Olympics on a ruined earth for Control of Space every 4 years) but it was the first show outside of the original Universal Century timeline.

People who actually give it a chance generally fall in love with it. It's the best Gundam show in my opinion and it's not even close.

The most interesting part about G Gundam is that outside of obvious comedy bits the main plot of the show is taken deadly serious by everyone involved. The actors in both English and Japanese really commit to this and the show is amazing for it. You develop real connections with these goofy ass racial stereotypes.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's pretty much just Kirito + designated female companion, as far as I can tell.

There's a bit of periphery characters but they really don't end up doing a lot. (Not that designated female companion gets to do a lot either.)

And that's actually fine, though. Everyone in SAO pretty much exist to give us different perspectives on Kirito. But that's Ok! It's better than introducing a character, building them up into the next OmniSasuke, and then relegating them to a rarely-seen, ultimately useless background character that only ever uses all that built up potential for comedy bits.

Also, I'm still surprised Kazuto tossing water in the back of Suguha's jacket wasn't used to some Service-pleasing effect. I guess even the animation team felt like they had to store up their collective perv for tentacles.

Most of G Gundam's detractors come from the perspective as fans back then.

Not only is the premise silly (Giant Robot Gladiatorial Olympics on a ruined earth for Control of Space every 4 years) but it was the first show outside of the original Universal Century timeline.

People who actually give it a chance generally fall in love with it. It's the best Gundam show in my opinion and it's not even close.

The most interesting part about G Gundam is that outside of obvious comedy bits the main plot of the show is taken deadly serious by everyone involved. The actors in both English and Japanese really commit to this and the show is amazing for it. You develop real connections with these goofy ass racial stereotypes.

I always find it funny that the US saw G after Wing. This should have helped it's chances compared to Japan, which was seeing their serious War drama turned into a near-stakeless PokeGundam Battle tournament.

I don't think I could ever love G more than "real" Gundam however; I love how it's a perfect sister show to the kind of reality of war animation that Robotech introduced to me. And actually getting to see Char and Amuro grow from act-out youths who were almost forced into war, into mature adults that all the neophytes now look up to, and think are perfect (even though they're FAR from it)? Not many series last long enough for such things to occur.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funny thing is tons and tons of people (not on screen characters, but people) get killed or turned into Zombies in G Gundam. Hundreds of thousands in the final battle alone.

Jintor

And that's actually fine, though. Everyone in SAO pretty much exist to give us different perspectives on Kirito. But that's Ok! It's better than introducing a character, building them up into the next OmniSasuke, and then relegating them to a rarely-seen, ultimately useless background character that only ever uses all that built up potential for comedy bits.

I'm finding Log Horizon's approach to character building and cast management to be really quite something. In just 16 episodes I feel like I know everybody well enough to care about all of their situations, and they're not just one-note characters either - well, for the purposes of the story they may only serve one or two functions, but you always get the sense that they're more than just that, if only off-screen.

For example, I think the way they've focused on the Junior Team going dungeoneering is very interesting, because while some of them were built up earlier (being the focus of an earlier arc) they get to continue their stories while the newer characters (Izula, Rudy) get a chance to interact and become important to the audience. The same thing with Crunchy, who while not outshining the main character got himself an episode focus with the princess so now in the latest ep when he reveals something important you actually care.

It occurs to me that the first half of SAO was almost entirely 'here's a story in which Kirito appears to do something' and that was, to be serious, a fucking lot better than whatever this bullshit story arc in the second half is. I wouldn't have minded an almost Sandman style show where stories aren't actually about the 'main character' but they still play a role in every episode.

BBboy20

Funny thing is tons and tons of people (not on screen characters, but people) get killed or turned into Zombies in G Gundam. Hundreds of thousands in the final battle alone.
Wait, zombies!? In a Gundam show!?

In order for SAO to work, it would had to spend at least two seasons depicting the rules of the games, fight scenes, turning it into an odyssey when they decided to give up trying to escape and "make a family". That was teh impressions I got when I noticed the show across the internet last year. Oh boy the naive past person of me to know all that meant absolutely nothing.... (and how short it all is).

I kinda wish Okami-san was on Toonami. The way the Narrator basically speaks for every tried and true anime fan as the show goes on...
That would be cool. Get more people exposed to it and maybe somebody in Japan will take notice that somebody wants that second season.

... I'd love to see how she'd react to SAO.
tumblr_mbduh20NG01qljsygo1_500.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Log Horizon is a cut above, agreed! I feel I can get lost in what the show offers, and come away satisfied, rather than just wanting to sit and watch it for the sake of making jokes of it's crappier elements.

Matter of fact, I'm going to watch the latest episode now, sooooo....

ZGq540W.gif

@ Man God - G Gundam does have it's stakes, as you pointed out with how serious the character take the show. It's a more well-rounded show than one with ever think at first blush. But it's just 1 little series VS the universe that Gundam proper has. I enjoyed the show a lot (and need to watch it again, even), but it'll never have the history to stand squarely besides full on Gundam, for me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Indeed. It's a different type of show especially on the surface. You dig down deep though and it touches on a lot of early Gundam themes (the horrors and results of war, the desire for power, the environmental damage caused by our current path)

It has believable character growth. It has the only really well done romance in the entire series. It's got one of the few character deaths in the series that is actually well dramatized and tragic.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
In order for SAO to work, it would had to spend at least two seasons depicting the rules of the games, fight scenes, turning it into an odyssey when they decided to give up trying to escape and "make a family". That was teh impressions I got when I noticed the show across the internet last year. Oh boy the naive past person of me to know all that meant absolutely nothing.... (and how short it all is).

I think the nasty realization just has to come that SAO doesn't care about any of that. It's not so much about a show made to flesh out and grow it's world... it just kinda assumes anyone watching understand what it's doing, and then goes on it's Kirito and Friends bend full blast from there on out.

I never knew what to expect of SAO, never paid any attention to it. "Sword Art" sounded cool to me, because the idea of a show that focuses on melee fighting sounded cool.

Log Horizon is pretty much everything I'd have wanted SAO to be from first blush, and so much more. It keeps on answering what I want out of it, and doing in in a very smart way.

That would be cool. Get more people exposed to it and maybe somebody in Japan will take notice that somebody wants that second season.

It's funny to think it and SAO are both Dengeki-born shows, eh? Even if it's not pure action, it really is the kind of show I wanted on "Adult Swim Anime", with enough comedy to fit with all the other stuff Williams Street puts out, but much more sophisticated.

Narrator-chan's "NOPE! NOPE! OH REALLY! Why are you people still watching? Are you? I thought about turning it off myself, and they're PAYING me!" Reactions would be so gold in a show like SAO.

It has believable character growth. It has the only really well done romance in the entire series. It's got one of the few character deaths in the series that is actually well dramatized and tragic.

I guess, in a way, it really benefit by having situations develop in a less immediately-deadly world. I've never had too much issue with how everything that happens in Gundam should be preceeded by "...on the battlefield!", because it's nice to see characters who actually act like war and danger is ever-present. (Stark contrast to Kirito x Asuna in the log cabin, right?)

You think G would have been a breath of fresh air to the JP audiences. I'm just glad all the Gundam Musou games let one revisit old series so easily. It's almost like they never go out of relevance, when all the old VA, situations, rivalries and such can be brought back at the drop of a hat.

(The fact that Romi Park voiced Turn A's Loran Cehack, Toshiro Hitsugaia on Bleach, and Hamy in Book of Bantorra kinda freaks me out, btw. Talk about unrelated characters.)

Speaking of VA, I'm not sure if I will like Franky's US VA work compared to his JP voice....

Kyle Hebert's a pretty cool guy

Exactly how I feel whenever I see him at a con. Or his post on Twitter.

I couldn't watch more then half an episode of watamote before feeling sick. I used to be exactly like her in high school and my social anxieties lead me to almost kill myself. Its a really rough part or my past I try not to think about. Once she began to talk of killing herself which the audience was supposed to find funny I turned it off. Not a bad show but not a show I could enjoy

Jintor

I genuinely think Log Horizon would be a great fit for Toonami, assuming Sentai doesn't completely bollocks up the dub. Same with Star Blazers 2199 (ughh).

bigkrev

Sup

PC took 5-6 hours to build with my friend, but man, i'm happy. Still fucking around with the graphics driver, and my DVD drive isn't connected because I only ended up with 2 SATA cables (1 for SSD, 1 for HDD), but i'm super happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom