• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing that pisses me off about harem and actually a lot of Japanese manga/anime is that they completely wimp out on picking a single girl (or guy) to win in the end. I'm okay if it's a harem ending, or they pull a School Days, but leaving things "open" pisses me off. At least SAO had the decency to say "yep this is canon OTP DEAL WITH IT".

i know Tenchi Universe pushes for Ryoko at the end; it's not definite or anything but it was close enough.

LOLDSFAN

The one thing that pisses me off about harem and actually a lot of Japanese manga/anime is that they completely wimp out on picking a single girl (or guy) to win in the end. I'm okay if it's a harem ending, or they pull a School Days, but leaving things "open" pisses me off. At least SAO had the decency to say "yep this is canon OTP DEAL WITH IT".

I always want the guy to get all the girls lol. Like in Toradora! for example.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I want to speak so badly because unlike the rest of the people here in the thread of amnesia I remember every god damn second of GXP. But I won't! Not even in spoiler tags!

Instead I'm going to go to bed!

ZGq540W.gif

Just checked out the ratings for Tenchi GXP, damn you guys weren't kidding that show just dropped like a rock both ratings wise and slot wise. One week there was almost a 400k drop from 12:00 to 12:30. That is a show that's ratings cancer holy crap lol

4 episodes in and... actually this is pretty enjoyable so far. Sure the dub isn't the greatest and the animation is pretty lazy at times but all in all I've laughed more at this then I have at Space Dandy. 4 episodes in and Seina's unlucky factor hasn't gotten stale yet though I fear it has potential to do so. I'm more worried about the cat fighting between the two lead females could get old really fast but for the short bit we got in this episode I laughed well at their exchange.

I walked in expecting hate watch... or at least something boringly mediocre but I've honestly enjoyed myself so far.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just checked out the ratings for Tenchi GXP, damn you guys weren't kidding that show just dropped like a rock both ratings wise and slot wise. One week there was almost a 400k drop from 12:00 to 12:30. That is a show that's ratings cancer holy crap lol

4 episodes in and... actually this is pretty enjoyable so far. Sure the dub isn't the greatest and the animation is pretty lazy at times but all in all I've laughed more at this then I have at Space Dandy. 4 episodes in and Seina's unlucky factor hasn't gotten stale yet though I fear it has potential to do so. I'm more worried about the cat fighting between the two lead females could get old really fast but for the short bit we got in this episode I laughed well at their exchange.

I walked in expecting hate watch... or at least something boringly mediocre but I've honestly enjoyed myself so far.

Oh man, this is really going to be great. Keep watching.

post-29112-Bryan-Cranston-speechless-gif-N4t3.gif

Go back and rewatch the first 3 episodes of GXP. As a whole the sci fi jokes have been funnier with better timing and the slap stick has been vastly more entertaining. Dandy has far superior dubbing, animation, and music sure, but as a comedy it's mostly been pretty flat. Heck GXP handles its fan service better (so far)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Go back and rewatch the first 3 episodes of GXP. As a whole the sci fi jokes have been funnier with better timing and the slap stick has been vastly more entertaining. Dandy has far superior dubbing, animation, and music sure, but as a comedy it's mostly been pretty flat. Heck GXP handles its fan service better (so far)

SPO4Bap.gif

bigkrev

Would you guys consider ramen noodles soft to eat for someone who has their wisdom teeth taken out?

Never had my wisdom teath out, but had some serious throat surgery about a year ago. Ramen should be fine, but i'd probably stick to a soup that had less noodles in it (and something with less sodium in it, fwiw)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm reminded that I need to remind my dad to see about getting my wisdom teeth removed. Every time I go to the dentist, it's all "you should get them removed" and "they might decay & spread to your other teeth" & all that.

HOW CAN YOU HATE JOHNNY BRAVO BASS?
I remember hating that show as a kid, but I think it was because in that state of "eww girls" when I was younger, so the premise of a show being just that probably made me dislike it.

He seems to enjoy having controversial opinions.

HOW CAN YOU HATE JOHNNY BRAVO BASS?

I'm not looking to be controversial, I'm just honestly saying how I feel. I never liked most of the cartoon cartoons as a kid as they weren't as engaging as similar shows on Nickelodeon ala rugrats, hey arnold, etc. spongebob was really the only show in that zany off the wall comedy I enjoyed and I only enjoyed it half the time. Heck I'd argue the wb kids cartoon line up was better for comedy with shows like animaniacs, histeria, pinky & the brain, etc.

When comparing gxp to space dandy, gxp is story focused which I prefer to Dandy's randomness. Gxp keeps a fairly consistent tone while Dandy skirts frantically between awesome action, largely unfunny comedy, and suddenly super serious moments. Heck I'd say 3 episodes in Hamtaro is a funnier show then Space Dandy. Maybe you can argue my higher expectations for Dandy and lowered expectations for GXP have skewed my view, but I'm honestly laughing at gxp where I usually at best giggle at Dandy.

Also don't forget this isn't some blanket "gxp is better then dandy period" statement, its a "3 episodes into each and I've enjoyed gxp more". I have more faith in dandy becoming better then I do in gxp staying entertaining.

Would you guys consider ramen noodles soft to eat for someone who has their wisdom teeth taken out?

Chicken broth and jello was all I ate for 2 days.

I can already see the cracks beginning to form in the foundation, maybe if the show was a 6-12 episode ova or just 1 season it probably would have gotten away with it, doubt this will hold for 26 episodes

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I forget, what were those?

First one is Shippo versus the surviving member of the Thunder clan.

Second one is the Muso episode that begins with Kagome explaining Inuyasha/Koga/Miroku to her high school friends.

I know hating SAO is in right now but let's not go THAT far...

Well, the women of GXP certainly are empowered to say the least....

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I remember when I saw the kakashi mask episode, I legit had some greatest laughs, japanese humor is a thing that can be hit or miss with alot of us americans but for me it hit all the right notes. Where we're in the manga right now would be a great time for kakashi's mask to get torn off, especially when its getting slightly torn right now

Ratings predictions? Ratings predictions.

Space Dandy - 1.2M
Bleach - 1.25M
Shippuden - 1.1M
One Piece - 945K
Soul Eater - 825K
SAO - 730K
FLCL - 650K
Naruto - 685K
Brotherhood - 585K
GitS - 530K
IGPX - 540K
Clone Wars - 640K
Inuyasha - 700K

Man God

Non-Canon Member
OOOH Shit.

When I get the pleasure of resuming Inuyasha tonight I have the joy of re-experiencing Jaken's Plan to Steal Tetsusaiga.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So, new Fairy Tail dubbed episodes got released ( Rock City Boy, the hype OP ), and I gotta say, this dub is just.....Mm, no.

No Fairy Tail for Toonami.

See! They can't even be bothered to dub it properly.

There are a bunch of great shows we could get before we need to scrape the bottom of the barrel again. Off the top of my head there is:

HunterxHunter
Full Metal Panic
Level E
Baccano
Attack on Titan
Magi
The Devil is a Part-timer
Hajime no Ippo

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A bunch of those still need dubs.

If you want action with a bit of fanservice Kenichi The Strongest Disciple would fit.

Baccano needs to happen at some point, hope they weren't scared off by that pale imitation DRRR.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A bunch of those still need dubs.

If you want action with a bit of fanservice Kenichi The Strongest Disciple would fit.

Baccano needs to happen at some point, hope they weren't scared off by that pale imitation DRRR.

Pretty sure everything on that list other than HxH is either getting a dub or already has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom