• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
*sees Naruto spoilers*

Well shit,
if they can't be together, they can at least die together <3

And I've finally reached the backstory I've so been waiting for in One Piece. Do not disappoint me

2nd Gear Luffy.....*banderas.gif x2

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I just realized the ages of the characters in this series

Seina is 15
Amane is 20
Kiriko is 24

Seriously Japan WTF, you have a 24 year old girl who's so obviously obsessed with a 15 year old. It's not like this love/obsession began once he got into space, you clearly wanted his D on Earth as well.

Tenchi Muyo has always had some "Wait... what?!?" Elements to it's relationships. (This makes one wonder why SAO hits people the wrong way so strongly... the entirety of Jurai is pretty much an "incest-is-best" inbreeding nightmare)

Kiriko is just another take on the original Tenchi X Ryoko infatuation. She fell for Tenchi not because she directly found him physically attractive or anything... but because she watched him grow up, saw his weaknesses, his strengths, and the fact that he was a truly good person at heart. She was the Bad girl who wanted the good boy...

Kiriko has a motherly/older sister relationship that everyone around her tells her HAS to be more, and I think she just starts falling for it, eventually.

If I had to observe Toonami's young boy X older woman relationships from a distance, I probably find the situations in FLCL more disturbing, really. 15 is to young, but at least I can say "well, ok, you're thinking about these things". And I can kind of see over-bearing women wanting to chase after an innocent boy that they want to mold into the man of their dreams.

But 12 yrs old Naota? He's so young that he doesn't even seem to have "masculine responses" to all the attention he's getting from Mamimi. He's basically still in the "Eww, cooties!" stage at the start. Yet he gets Haruko's basically nude body straddling him, and constant pokes to engage in perverse thinking that he doesn't even seem to really be thinking about on his own.

14~15 yrs old is magical in anime anyway, as we know. It's the age where, eventually, the fate of everyone you love will be solely in your hands. It's Japan's "18yrs"!

Not sure which backstory definition you are using.

Unrelated, but as I play this Toukiden demo on Vita, I keep waiting to see Sesshomaru pop up somewhere.

Jintor

FLCL is meant to be disturbing, as far as I interpret it. Naota is obviously right on that precipice of puberty (and he's surrounded exclusively by older, stronger girls, at least for the most part - well, and his pervert dad/grandad, who aren't exactly hella good role models), and FLCL is, well, basically about puberty's rollercoaster ride of hella crazy bullshit emotions

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The Crazy Rollercoaster ride sounds like a lot of Anime... but FLCL somehow pulls it off really well.

I always appreciate the spin that Naota is the only mature one in a sea of fake adults that never really grew up. All the kids actually seem more mature in FLCL due to this, and I think that helps deflect a lot of the natural apprehension that comes from watching pre-teens go though perverse situations.

FLCL would be an entirely different show if Naota was changed into a 16 year old who accepted every advance made at him. (That'd actually break the entire show, but if it didn't...)

BBboy20

tumblr_lnweji7y4o1qf1kq3.gif
Holy shit, that somehow made that moment fucking scary.

I need this gif for this weekend
for SAO
O_O

Perfect.

Can't wait to see the ratings today. Will Bleach out rate Space Dandy? Does One Piece make the jump into the 1M club (lol no)? How far will FLCL drop? Will Inuyasha break 700K? Find out on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z!

RATINGS ARE IN

11:30PM Space Dandy 1.0 HH, 1.411 million
12:00AM Bleach 0.9 HH, 1.303 million
12:30AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.8 HH, 1.167 million
1:00AM One Piece 0.6 HH, 892,000
1:30AM Soul Eater 0.6 HH, 844,000
2:00AM Sword Art Online 0.6 HH, 752,000
2:30AM Fooly Cooly 0.5 HH, 618,000
3:00AM Naruto 0.5 HH, 561,000
3:30AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.4 HH, 512,000
4:00AM Ghost in the Shell 0.3 HH, 424,000
4:30AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.3 HH, 405,000
5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.4 HH, 533,000
5:30AM Inuyasha 0.3 HH, 461,000

For its entire week in Total Day (9 p.m. to 5:59 a.m.), Adult Swim is down 2 percent in total viewership (1.239 million vs. 1.261 million) and up 1 percent in viewers Adults 18-49 (730,000 vs. 725,000) from one week earlier; the network is also down 10 percent in total viewership (1.239 million vs. 1.381 million) and down 7 percent in viewers Adults 18-49 (730,000 vs. 789,000) from the same week one year ago (Jan. 14-20, 2013).

http://www.tvmediainsights.com/tvratings/38808/adult-swim-ratings-scorecard-week-of-jan-13-2014/

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
That's a big drop from Shippuden to One Piece. Rest of the night really tanked too.

A million more people watched Space Dandy than Inuyasha.

TheChits

Valvrave is done and out of my life, Palutena is in Smash(I BELIEVE), Naruto is good again, and Space Dandy is getting dem ratings. What a great day
LtNDbKz.png

Edit: Oh damn at the One Piece drop :(

Space Dandy is finally doing the numbers I expected from it. Blessed be the boobs and booty that sustains us. Ouch at One Piece though. What the fuck happened there? I guess people aren't as invested in the adventures of Luffy and the gang as we thought they were. And people actually came back for Star Wars? What is going on here? I really don't get the average viewer.

By the way, that Space Dandy rating is the 5th highest in the history of the new toonami block.

1. Bleach (8/3/13) 1,599,000
2. Bleach (8/17/13) 1,485,000
3. Bleach (1/26/13) 1,428,000
4. Bleach (9/28/13) 1,414,000
5. Space Dandy (1/18/14) 1,411,000 NEW

Mature

By the way, that Space Dandy rating is the 5th highest in the history of the new toonami block.

1. Bleach (8/3/13) 1,599,000
2. Bleach (8/17/13) 1,485,000
3. Bleach (1/26/13) 1,428,000
4. Bleach (9/28/13) 1,414,000
5. Space Dandy (1/18/14) 1,411,000 NEW
Neat. If Space Dandy keeps it's momentum in that space, hopefully it's reason enough to keep 11:30 for Toonami.

Isn't that a bit of an apples to oranges comparison? Dandy airs once a week, TDS/Colbert/Late Night Talk Shows air four to five nights a week.

Also, making that comparison using the total number of viewers (which is what we see) is meaningless. Advertisers don't buy on the beauty contest, they buy based on how a show performed in the demo (18-34, 18-49, etc.).

That's kind of a dumb tweet, Space Dandy is only airing once every weekend compared to Colbert/Daily Show/Late Night television programs which are on multiple times a week. I'm also sure there are plenty of reality shows on major networks beating Dandy, that market is oversaturated though.

Not to take anything away from Dandy's ratings but come on random twitter guy, that's not a fair comparison.

Mature

Not to take anything away from Dandy's ratings but come on random twitter guy, that's not a fair comparison.
It's actually Zac Bertschy, who's an executive editor at Anime News Network.

While the tweet isn't a proper metric to rate success, it is still interesting to think that Space Dandy, an anime who's debuting first in North America, had a larger viewership the night of it's episode than the aforementioned huge TV shows.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Valvrave is done and out of my life, Palutena is in Smash(I BELIEVE), Naruto is good again, and Space Dandy is getting dem ratings. What a great day
LtNDbKz.png

Edit: Oh damn at the One Piece drop :(

everything is coming up milhouse, cept for one piece :(

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It's actually Zac Bertschy, who's an executive editor at Anime News Network.

While the tweet isn't a proper metric to rate success, it is still interesting to think that Space Dandy, an anime who's debuting first in North America, had a larger viewership the night of it's episode than the aforementioned huge TV shows.

Those shows don't air on Saturday nights, though. Daily Show doesn't, Colbert doesn't, late night talk shows don't. They're not competition for Space Dandy.

It's a useless comparison.

Looks like Dandy will continue to beat out Bleach for its run, it's only gotten more viewers each week.
It only beat Bleach by ~3,000 viewers last week and both have trended upwards. The sample size is too small to make an accurate prediction but I still think there's a good chance Bleach beats out Dandy a few times.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, both are kicking ass regardless.

Levyne

Banned
My guess is that people woke up at 5 before their early day, turned on tv, saw clone wars, "wtf is this shit" , tv off, rip inuyasha.

Seda

There were some earlier, but any more suggestions for February thread title? Obviously it should be Samurai Jack related.

I'll pick the best one and the winner will get
nothing

They don't? :x

Late night talk shows don't air Saturday night?

Nope. Unless he's referencing The Graham Norton Show on BBC America or something.

He's comparing a show that airs once a week to shows that air during the week. That means nothing. Dandy's performance is going to be judged based on how it went up against the shows that are on the same time/day it is.

Most importantly:

Adult Swim’s Saturday night TOONAMI block of exclusive anime programming included new episodes of Space Dandy (11:30 p.m.), Bleach (12 a.m.), Naruto (12:30 a.m.), Soul Eater (1:30 a.m.) and Sword Art Online (2 a.m.), each ranking #1 in their respective timeslots on basic cable among adults 18-24/18-34 and men 18-24/18-34. One Piece (1 a.m.) ranked #1 in its time period among adults 18-24 and men 18-24/18-34. Most of the TOONAMI premiere episodes earned double-digit gains across all key adults and men vs. last year.

EDIT: This is from the Turner press release, I think that last sentence might be wrong on their part though.

One Piece continues to be #1 in the demographics toonami is targeting. The overall viewership may be dipping a bit since the summer but there's no need to be concerned yet.

What IGPX does at 4:30AM doesn't really matter. The show is free and airing in a dead period.

Q&A this Sunday.

Toonami Tumblr said:
TOONAMI Q&A ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey everybody! We hope you’re good. Just dropping you a line to let you know that even though Gill and Jason are in Hawaii working, that ain’t gonna stop the Toonami monthly Q&A train! They’ll be answering questions this Sunday, starting around 5pm e/t. So feel free to start submitting now! You may even get your question answered on TV next month. As always, please read our FAQ above before sending us any questions, so you don’t send us the sort of question we won’t or can’t answer (example: ‘when are you showing DBZ???’ etc).

As always, we look forward to your questions. See you soon!

Stay Gold.

Love, the Toonami Crew.

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/74202828552/toonami-q-a-announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom