• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBboy20

*looks up what this manga is about*

bert-and-ernie-reaction.gif

LOLDSFAN

Can't remember if you can ask anon or not. But I guess I'll see whether they deliberately chose to air the girl power promo the same week as incest-tentacle week on SAO

Yeah asking anon works. I asked anon if they would show full OP for Dandy. I like to think I'M the reason why they announced that they would.

High School of the Dead. Which is frankly uneditable to Toonami's standards on nudity.

i dunno. there's only one scene of one episode, and if you don't skimp on the mosaic it's probably fine. but i would imagine most of the casual audience is going to see the show as creepy rather than hilarious

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's like five minutes of the episode. Like that Outlaw Star episode that they've never aired. Unlike that episode though that was one episode in a substantially longer series where High School of the Dead is short as heck.

It's like five minutes of the episode. Like that Outlaw Star episode that they've never aired. Unlike that episode though that was one episode in a substantially longer series where High School of the Dead is short as heck.

i dunno, i still think it's possible if they want it bad enough. i just don't think they'd want it bad enough.

You all missed BatDan's :kayos moment in manga gaf when he realized that part of the reason attack on titan is popular is because zombies are popular and the titans are basically giant zombies

Leorio doesn't even do anything for most of the series, he's almost as shitty as Usopp.

He plays a major role in 4/6 arcs of the series, just because he's not in Greed Island or Chimera Ant doesn't mean he isn't a main character. Also have you read the final manga arc? If not then I suggest you do so or way for the anime and hold off your opinion on Leorio till after that

Leorio punches someone as comic relief and is considered the best. Kurapika
kills a member of the infamous phantom troupe
but isn't.

Gon and Killua
help save the world from being taken over by giant talking insects/animals
but they're whatever.

Hisoka is a god tier villain but Leorio is the best character.

neogaf.gif

I don't understand how anyone could think Leorio is the best character in HxH. He's in the Usopp tier of uselessness for 90% of the series.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
while this is true, Tenchi never really puts it in your face to the degree that SAO does. it's easy to put it in the back of your mind, as opposed to basically taking a megaphone and saying "this is his SISTER. she LOVES HER BROTHER. look at those BOOBS. isn't she HOT? LOOK HOW HOT KIRITO'S SISTER IS THAT IS IN LOVE WITH HIM. LOOK DAMMIT. YOU SHOULD ROOT FOR HER."

Aye, but it still feels slightly... double-standard-ish? One lets you pretend it's not there. The other makes it one of the focuses on why the relationship has issues (the other being that the guy she fell for already fell for someone else)... it's still present in both situations. Might even be worse in Tenchi when you consider Ayeka is lusting after the offspring of her brothers offspring.

I guess the relationship woes between Sugu and Kazuto simply exist because without it, their relationship is actually quite nice. They don't get into huge fights with each other, he doesn't pick on her to the point where it's just mean and violent, and he seems to treat her as an equal human, rather than "Stupid younger sibling, can't talk to you, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ME!" etc.

bigkrev has a point though. I see the fanservice in Space Dandy and SAO somewhat differently.

Like, the Boobies points card in Space Dandy at least corresponds to the setting, Dandy's character traits, and the tone of the show, as much as it made me groan. SAO has Kirito grabbing a sword from Leafa during an action sequence with random fanservicey pose.

The grabbed sword really didn't bother me. It was the classic "man grabs something from female, girls freaks out, audience gets an eyeful" gag.

If SAO didn't induldge so much so often, I think it'd be more reasonable overall. When it happens though, it just seems like SO MUCH! Instead of a wink and nudge, they just knock you over the head with a whole visual binder, and only to leave the images thrown all around your barely-conscious form.

As far as Dandy...

tumblr_mzo79u2QBY1r9b5wlo2_500.gif

(Oh, and if for some reason this is too much to post here... I'll gladly remove it, lol.)

I find it funny Toonami used this on the tumblr, as much as they seem to be opposed to the Service side of Sears things.

Dandy's service is a bit more defined, and leaves less to the imagination, but they get away with it easier because everything in Dandy is OTT. It actually kinda annoys me more in Dandy, because I feel like the show should be a bit more above that.

Can be go back to Anime having an Onsen episode or 2 to get out their pervy factor at once, and then let them go back to normalcy the rest of the time? I guess the closest we have to that on Toonami currently is with FMA:B and the 1 Winry Bathtime scene. The show has a few moments here and there, but in all the eps, you can probably count them on little more than 1 hand...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The grabbed sword really didn't bother me. It was the classic "man grabs something from female, girls freaks out, audience gets an eyeful" gag.

If SAO didn't induldge so much so often, I think it'd be more reasonable overall. When it happens though, it just seems like SO MUCH! Instead of a wink and nudge, they just knock you over the head with a whole visual binder, and only to leave the images thrown all around your barely-conscious form.

As far as Dandy...

(Oh, and if for some reason this is too much to post here... I'll gladly remove it, lol.)

I find it funny Toonami used this on the tumblr, as much as they seem to be opposed to the Service side of Sears things.

Dandy's service is a bit more defined, and leaves less to the imagination, but they get away with it easier because everything in Dandy is OTT. It actually kinda annoys me more in Dandy, because I feel like the show should be a bit more above that.

Can be go back to Anime having an Onsen episode or 2 to get out their pervy factor at once, and then let them go back to normalcy the rest of the time? I guess the closest we have to that on Toonami currently is with FMA:B and the 1 Winry Bathtime scene. The show has a few moments here and there, but in all the eps, you can probably count them on little more than 1 hand...

I'd say I'm not bothered with the service as much in Dandy because it's not trying to be anything other than over the top and silly. It's built into the show that way, where SAO on the other hand wants us to take it seriously.

SAO doesn't joke about it's fan service like Dandy does, when Dandy did it last episode it felt like they were giving us a wink and a nudge each time. I mean they had a giant monster made of millions of boobies, it's self-deprecating. They know they're doing it and they aren't above making jokes about it, OG Tenchi was the same way. Not to the same degree as Dandy though.

SAO on the other hand doesn't do any of this, the show seems like it doesn't even realize they are doing any of the things they are doing. As if they are natural and we expect a whole lot of service in a serious show. The SAO service probably wouldn't bother any of us as much if the show acknowledged that it was doing it and gave us a wink and a nudge every now and again.

We were talking about Aunt Tits from the manga thread earlier and I think it makes a good example here. It doesn't try to be a serious story, the MC has readily acknowledged that his entire predicament is insane and nowhere near normal. It's completely over the top and the story itself is cognizant of the fact that it's just one giant cocktease and plays that up to a frankly ludicrous extent. SAO on the other hand doesn't even come close to recognizing that it's doing similar things, that it's a similar teenage male wish fulfillment fantasy. It expects us to take it seriously.

Aye, but it still feels slightly... double-standard-ish? One lets you pretend it's not there. The other makes it one of the focuses on why the relationship has issues (the other being that the guy she fell for already fell for someone else)... it's still present in both situations. Might even be worse in Tenchi when you consider Ayeka is lusting after the offspring of her brothers offspring.

I guess the relationship woes between Sugu and Kazuto simply exist because without it, their relationship is actually quite nice. They don't get into huge fights with each other, he doesn't pick on her to the point where it's just mean and violent, and he seems to treat her as an equal human, rather than "Stupid younger sibling, can't talk to you, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ME!" etc.

isn't that about how almost everything is judged? if something bad is prevalent, it becomes an issue. if it's not prevalent, you can write it off. or you can write it off if there's enough other redeeming qualities.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I did...a lot of shoveling today.

I also cut my remaining Inuyasha episodes in half. Six more and I'll have seen all the ones prior to me staying up all god damn night.

But to do that properly I'll have to leave this thread for the night.

ZGq540W.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm running it into the ground, giving it the KISS OF DEATH.

I'm working on its replacement and should debut it on Sunday!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'd say I'm not bothered with the service as much in Dandy because it's not trying to be anything other than over the top and silly. It's built into the show that way, where SAO on the other hand wants us to take it seriously.

I get that in a "I feel better about this in the end" way, but sexy fanservice in any way or form, is still a part of the show because it'll be a better received / remembered show with it, than without it, for a certain audience.

SAO doesn't joke about it's fan service like Dandy does, when Dandy did it last episode it felt like they were giving us a wink and a nudge each time. I mean they had a giant monster made of millions of boobies, it's self-deprecating. They know they're doing it and they aren't above making jokes about it, OG Tenchi was the same way. Not to the same degree as Dandy though.

SAO on the other hand doesn't do any of this, the show seems like it doesn't even realize they are doing any of the things they are doing. As if they are natural and we expect a whole lot of service in a serious show. The SAO service probably wouldn't bother any of us as much if the show acknowledged that it was doing it and gave us a wink and a nudge every now and again.

You have to think though... do the people who really like these sexy elements like being reminded that it's all kinda creepy, and not to be taken seriously at each impasse?

It kind of makes me think of how I feel when I hear people in the gaming press talk about how much of a fan they are of something... and then as if they're embarrassed by what they just said, they had to add a "We're all geeks / nerds here!", like they have to overly justify their love of something by personally lowering it's value before others.

It's like the Tsundere school of service! "She really has a great pair... NOT THAT I WAS LOOKING OR ANYTHING! ONLY IDIOTS STARE AT BOOBS!"

We were talking about Aunt Tits from the manga thread earlier and I think it makes a good example here. It doesn't try to be a serious story, the MC has readily acknowledged that his entire predicament is insane and nowhere near normal. It's completely over the top and the story itself is cognizant of the fact that it's just one giant cocktease and plays that up to a frankly ludicrous extent. SAO on the other hand doesn't even come close to recognizing that it's doing similar things, that it's a similar teenage male wish fulfillment fantasy. It expects us to take it seriously.

This is one of the few cases I think I'll just continue to stay ignorant of the subject matter, lol.

If we really must call both things "Male wish fulfillment fantasies", I guess I'd see Dandy as sneakily fulfilling the dreams, while pretending we think much less of it than we actually do, in order to save face.

While SAO just flat out says "This is what I think is awesome, and in this order of significance!", and expects you to agree. If you don't agree, "screw you, go watch another show!" I think it lucks out in this viewpoint in a series of grand accidents... but I was looking for a show to support my taste, I'd rather see this, than a show that'll make me feel like I shouldn't really feel this way at all...

If we really must call both things "Male wish fulfillment fantasies", I guess I'd see Dandy as sneakily fulfilling the dreams, while pretending we think much less of it than we actually do, in order to save face.

While SAO just flat out says "This is what I think is awesome, and in this order of significance!", and expects you to agree. If you don't agree, "screw you, go watch another show!" I think it lucks out in this viewpoint in a series of grand accidents... but I was looking for a show to support my taste, I'd rather see this, than a show that'll make me feel like I shouldn't really feel this way at all...

except Dandy is an incompetent moron who's gotten himself and one other person killed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom