• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

Nope. Unless he's referencing The Graham Norton Show on BBC America or something.

He's comparing a show that airs once a week to shows that air during the week. That means nothing. Dandy's performance is going to be judged based on how it went up against the shows that are on the same time/day it is.
Shows how much I know about TV programming outside of Toonami.

593729-sword_art_online___21___large_26.jpg

I wonder if I can find a body pillow version of this.

lewd.jpg

Jintor

Can't remember if you can ask anon or not. But I guess I'll see whether they deliberately chose to air the girl power promo the same week as incest-tentacle week on SAO

Seda

Can't remember if you can ask anon or not. But I guess I'll see whether they deliberately chose to air the girl power promo the same week as incest-tentacle week on SAO

I think some Tumblr's disallow it but Toonami will let you ask anonymously .

<---*not very familiar with Tumblr*

bigkrev

smartest anime in years

Seriously though, even when SAO isn't pandering to whatever, it's just boring - at best.

If your going to make smut, at least bask in the fact that it's smut. No one calls Aunt Tits the SMARTEST MANGA IN YEARS, because we understand it's about a kid whose aunt has gigantic tits she lets him play with as she tries to get him to sleep with a bunch of different girls.

Meanwhile, you have something that tries to take itself seriously, but is impossible to do so because of how pandering it is. Thus, you get the smartest anime in years.

Moaradin

If your going to make smut, at least bask in the fact that it's smut. No one calls Aunt Tits the SMARTEST MANGA IN YEARS, because we understand it's about a kid whose aunt has gigantic tits she lets him play with as she tries to get him to sleep with a bunch of different girls.

Meanwhile, you have something that tries to take itself seriously, but is impossible to do so because of how pandering it is. Thus, you get the smartest anime in years.

Is that manga actually called Aunt Tits?

Seda

bigkrev has a point though. I see the fanservice in Space Dandy and SAO somewhat differently.

Like, the Boobies points card in Space Dandy at least corresponds to the setting, Dandy's character traits, and the tone of the show, as much as it made me groan. SAO has Kirito grabbing a sword from Leafa during an action sequence with random fanservicey pose.

Aunts Tits is in my top 5 ongoing manga, actually it's number 3 only behind One Piece and another series called Magi. Aunts Tits is so good I've gotten my irl friends to read it lol

It only beat Bleach by ~3,000 viewers last week and both have trended upwards. The sample size is too small to make an accurate prediction but I still think there's a good chance Bleach beats out Dandy a few times.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, both are kicking ass regardless.

I think Dandy will consistently beat Bleach simply because it has that half hour earlier slot. As I said last week were Dandy and Bleach to flip flop I imagine Bleach would beat Dandy every week.

Either way if Dandy continues to perform in the 1-1.4 mill range it's run Toonami should be able to keep its 11:30 start time for whatever next major premier they have (hopefully Attack on titan that should do really well)

MikeMyers

Unrelated, but as I play this Toukiden demo on Vita, I keep waiting to see Sesshomaru pop up somewhere.

That's LORD SESSHOMARU to you, but very cool!

RIP Inuyasha

tumblr_mx9orsSPcg1rp8rbso4_250.gif

THE FEELS

A million more people watched Space Dandy than Inuyasha.

11:30PM Space Dandy 1.0 HH, 1.411 million
4:30AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.3 HH, 405,000
5:30AM Inuyasha 0.3 HH, 461,000

Space Dandy would have needed 50k more to beat Inuyasha by a million, but it did beat IGPX by a million.

Clone Wars killing InuYasha's ratings. :(

TAKE CLONE WARS OFF TOONAMI

BRING FINAL ACT TOO TOONAMI

dem Inuyasha ratings.... :(

Did you get my PM?

Weird about the rest of the block being so low. Especially InuYasha

It must be the lack of LORD SESSHOMARU, only his army of fangirls can save the ratings now.

It was a three day weekend. Alot of college students, including me, probably only watched the first hour and two and went to party.

Let's hope so.

I wonder if InuYasha would do better if they went back to doubling it up and kicked out igpx

BRING BACK BANZAI HOUR

VKyt2EZ.gif

Levyne

Banned
I think Dandy will consistently beat Bleach simply because it has that half hour earlier slot. As I said last week were Dandy and Bleach to flip flop I imagine Bleach would beat Dandy every week.

Either way if Dandy continues to perform in the 1-1.4 mill range it's run Toonami should be able to keep its 11:30 start time for whatever next major premier they have (hopefully Attack on titan that should do really well)

what if igpx was at 11:30

or gxp

bigkrev has a point though. I see the fanservice in Space Dandy and SAO somewhat differently.

Like, the Boobies points card in Space Dandy at least corresponds to the setting, Dandy's character traits, and the tone of the show, as much as it made me groan. SAO has Kirito grabbing a sword from Leafa during an action sequence with random fanservicey pose.

i'd also say that Boobies points card was SO over-the-top that many really aren't going to perceive it as fanservice; it's just a joke.

bigkrev

I need a second hint

Google "manga" and the logo of Titus Software if your still stuck

Also, pretty sure I need to RMA my GPU just 4 days after installing it- the fans stopped working, which leads to my computer restarting after 5 mins of graphic intensive gaming

Raxus

This goes in line with the rant I had prepared for SAO previous episode. When it comes to the finer sex anime has, what I felt, always had a reputation similar to horror movies. That being while it may exploit the sexuality of girls it can also be one of the most empowering mediums for women. Faye, Winry (Brotherhood) and Mikasa (Attack on Titan) are some immediate examples that pop into my head. They tend to still have female traits but are tough, have a purpose, flaws, etc. Then you get to SAO and it reminds you why people HATE anime in the first place and I feel it can all be sourced to one place. How they treat the women.

After ridding us of GXP I thought most of the harem shit would be tossed out the window, but ho-doggy I was wrong. Let's try and go in order and get around to Asuna when the time comes. First is Red Nose Girl who comes across as weak and wants to get home. Kirito saves her from killing herself and it seems like she might have an arc going before she dies one of the most laughable deaths in the series complete with crazy Santa Claus. Then we get to loli girl who, to the show's 'credit', never professes her love for Kirito but is exploited with a panty shot for no reason and is almost tentacle raped by a plant. Finally sword girl who goes along with Kirito, for no good reason. To fight a dragon, for no good reason. And confesses her love for Kirito while they both seemingly fall to their death, for no good reason. Keep she does this because Kirito broke a sword she made, failed to kill the dragon, and brought her dragon poop that he could have delivered to his shop. As soon as she sees Kirito with Asuna she sees the author's OTP and gives up. END OF STORY!

Then we get to Asuna, the main harem girl who debuts with sparkles! and a robe she wore for no good reason and never dawns again because anime. Asuna is portrayed as a strong independent woman and a good swordswoman until the author realized he can't have that and threw all those traits out the window. She disappears for half of part 1 as a matter of fact and doesn't appear until they make a final push to beat the game. She is never developed upon apart from her skills and name. She of course falls in love with Kirito who does nothing to earn her affection and they get online married and inexplicably have an online kid. If you aren't vomiting rage blood at this point then you may have been watching something else. In the finale when everyone is hacked to be paralyzed she overcomes the paralyses with the power of love...to get in the way of a sword strike and die...She could have used the opportunity to fight with him but apparently saving that precious D at all cost was her priority and she sacrifices herself so Kirito can...'die'. Well he technically saves the day but Asuna, who somehow still isn't dead, and Kirito are pulled out of the game in the nick of time and Asuna is uploaded to Fairy Tale Online or some shit. And here is where things get icky...er.

2 years have passed since SAO and Sugaha, Kirito's adoptive sister has....er...grown. The author shows this by showing Kirito's sisters breasts as often as possible. Sugaha inexplicably begins to fall for Kirito. Why she does remains unclear besides SAO being a punishment to anime fans for even thinking about enjoying the medium. All this accumulates into the recent episode where Asuna, who we presume has been e-raped multiple times, trying to do something for herself and escaping and almost getting tentacle raped as a result. To add on top of this shit sandwich Sugaha admits she is falling for her brother. If you ever wanted to show someone a SINGLE episode that encapsulates everything EVERYONE hates about anime this would be it. It is a parody of an episode played deathly serious. It is the cherry on top of a shit sandwich. It is the white whale of bad anime since most anime can be bad for various reasons but few spit in your face for watching it. That sums up my feelings for SAO so far, an anime that got inexplicably popular that is a spit into my face as an anime fan. It concentrates everything I hate in anime and why people are ashamed they admit they like anime into a single episode. The incest, tentacles, exploitation of woman, 2 dimensional personalities etc. It isn't surprising this came from the mind of a 12 year old, in fact I would have guessed he would have turned into some sort of sexual deviant if his latest work wasn't shockingly competent. In fact his latest anime series has perhaps half the budget of SAO and is infinitely better. Talk about not having your priorities straight.

PBtableflip.gif

/rant

back on topic somewhat. As far as Dandy's fanservice goes while the boobies card may be seem to be pure fanservice at points it actually serves as a great joke with Meow as the episode goes on acting like a laser pointer he is constantly trying to grasp at. I thought it was a funny subversion.

Tenchi Muyo has always had some "Wait... what?!?" Elements to it's relationships. (This makes one wonder why SAO hits people the wrong way so strongly... the entirety of Jurai is pretty much an "incest-is-best" inbreeding nightmare)

while this is true, Tenchi never really puts it in your face to the degree that SAO does. it's easy to put it in the back of your mind, as opposed to basically taking a megaphone and saying "this is his SISTER. she LOVES HER BROTHER. look at those BOOBS. isn't she HOT? LOOK HOW HOT KIRITO'S SISTER IS THAT IS IN LOVE WITH HIM. LOOK DAMMIT. YOU SHOULD ROOT FOR HER."

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
while this is true, Tenchi never really puts it in your face to the degree that SAO does. it's easy to put it in the back of your mind, as opposed to basically taking a megaphone and saying "this is his SISTER. she LOVES HER BROTHER. look at those BOOBS. isn't she HOT? LOOK HOW HOT KIRITO'S SISTER IS THAT IS IN LOVE WITH HIM. LOOK DAMMIT. YOU SHOULD ROOT FOR HER."

Don't forget that she's 15.
... Yeah....

bigkrev

Sugaha, Kirito's adoptive sister has....er...grown. The author shows this by showing Kirito's sisters breasts as often as possible. Sugaha inexplicably begins to fall for Kirito. Why she does remains unclear besides SAO being a punishment to anime fans for even thinking about enjoying the medium. All this accumulates into the recent episode where Asuna, who we presume has been e-raped multiple times, trying to do something for herself and escaping and almost getting tentacle raped as a result. To add on top of this shit sandwich Sugaha admits she is falling for her brother. If you ever wanted to show someone a SINGLE episode that encapsulates everything EVERYONE hates about anime this would be it. It is a parody of an episode played deathly serious.

Keep spitting hot fire, son. This show deserves it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Actually while SAO certainly has odious harem trappings, thus far it does seem to be at best a love triangle when anybody not named Asuna or Sakuga promptly vanishing after one appearance.

Don't forget that she's 15.
... Yeah....

eh. see, i have to give this a little bit of leeway since a large part of the intended audience is around that age. is there creepy older guy pandering going on here? hell yeah. but i can also sort of let that go when it's a person who does at least look older; this isn't the little girl who got attacked by tentacles trying to resurrect her pet, for example, and a lot of the time age is just a number in anime. should i HAVE to develop this rationalization for shows? nope, and it's pretty sad that i have it, but hey. anime.

My biggest pet peeve with the whole "lol incest" fad Japan has is 90% of the time it isn't incest its cousins (which is Japan is socially accepted) or step brother and step sister. Like seriously the later aren't related in any shape or form. It's what irks me about SAO and Lately my sister has been acting weird, they aren't blood related it's not incest stop beating the incest drum.

I don't think a story with incest or that has an incest end has to automatically be bad even if it is disturbing and weird. If the idea is to tell a forbidden love story that is meant to make the audience uncomfortable the do it really well and don't put asterisks all over the place.

Going back to SAO, Sugu is depicted as in love with her "brother" after she found out they were actually cousins while he was trapped in SAO. What did changing their relationship from blood siblings to cousins change? Nothing with the way the story handles things. It still acts like they're blood brother and sister when we know their not. If it was censorship from the ln to anime so that it could air on tv it'd be one thing but it's not its a deliberate story choice to give the story this illusion of forbidden love that doesn't really exists. It's almost there simply to make the audience uncomfotable and/or excited because "woahmygod incest" that's poorly handled like, well, everything else in SAO.

I forgot what it was called, but I recall watching a series of a guy and girl who fall for each other only to learn there half siblings same father different mother. The rest of the series is them trying to cope with their feelings for each other while also trying to heal the wounds in their hearts caused by their past lovers. Its one of the few times I've seen incest handled well in an anime/manga and didn't feel like pandering.

I'm not trying to argue that incest is okay or that I want more incest stories, what I'm saying is if incest is going to be a plot in your story treat it seriously and not in a "oh onii chan your penis is so big giggle" fan service pandering.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Actually while SAO certainly has odious harem trappings, thus far it does seem to be at best a love triangle when anybody not named Asuna or Sakuga promptly vanishing after one appearance.

That doesn't exactly make it any better, but I do see the point.

Moral of the story-

Stop watching SAO

Start reading Aunt Tits

AMEN, at least Aunt Tits knows what it is and it's funny as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom