• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is one of the few cases I think I'll just continue to stay ignorant of the subject matter, lol.

If we really must call both things "Male wish fulfillment fantasies", I guess I'd see Dandy as sneakily fulfilling the dreams, while pretending we think much less of it than we actually do, in order to save face.

While SAO just flat out says "This is what I think is awesome, and in this order of significance!", and expects you to agree. If you don't agree, "screw you, go watch another show!" I think it lucks out in this viewpoint in a series of grand accidents... but I was looking for a show to support my taste, I'd rather see this, than a show that'll make me feel like I shouldn't really feel this way at all...

I wasn't referring to Dandy when I was talking about wish fulfillment, I was talking about Aunt Tits. :lol

BBboy20

The grabbed sword really didn't bother me. It was the classic "man grabs something from female, girls freaks out, audience gets an eyeful" gag.
It's funny that we somehow became all offended at these gags despite seeing them a million times. That takes a new level of shit to pull that off.

I think it'd be more reasonable overall.
The pandering or the show?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
except Dandy is an incompetent moron who's gotten himself and one other person killed....

I wonder if he'll change any by the time the show reaches is FooLyCLimax? It was really nice to see him fight effectively in the Mecha...

I wasn't referring to Dandy when I was talking about wish fulfillment, I was talking about Aunt Tits. :lol

Cool, I'll just continue down the "willful ignorance" side with that series, then, lol.

It's funny that we somehow became all offended at these gags despite seeing them a million times. That takes a new level of shit to pull that off.

The pandering or the show?

To me, Fanservice hinges on the idea of giving people something they want. If you over-deliver, you diminish the effect...

...This probably means nothing to many of the fans or producers of modern anime, though. They have no sense of moderation or build-up with stuff like this, and almost seem to have a running bet at who can out-perv the other with the content they get away with in their works, ha.

I think I meant "The Show", but It'd really apply to both. Balance is one of the largest things SAO lacks.

it's all about context.

Agreed, though even I think trying to read into a situation too deeply can just lead to personal frustration.

.... random, the reason why hearing Vic voice a heal slime lecherous slime blob tentacle dude didn't throw me off too much is PROBABLY because he sounded a lot like Maka's Papa, Spirit. I don't know if that makes the situation funnier, or just more disturbing.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ahhh, so the disembodied brains are dissected pieces! It all makes more sense now!

(Only in Japan could a player legit log in as a tentacle slime in an online game...)

Crocodile

Those rating for the start of the block are just DANDY :) Ratings for Dandy have been on the rise and has been holding viewers given than most stick around for Bleach. The ratings fall between Shippuden and One Piece probably has to do with the shit pacing of the Shippuden episode putting pople to sleep/turning them off. The low numbers for the rest of the block is probably due to the SAO episode which forced most watching to rush out and splash Bleach (the detergent) in their eyes :(

applause-gif.gif

Yep, SAO is pretty much everything, or at least most things, that are wrong with anime. The following pic does a good job of encapsulating a lot that's wrong with SAO:

SAO%20butt-620x.jpg

During this scene, the girl with the purple hair is being questioned about a MURDER! Talk about tone/intent whiplash O_O Why in the world is this shot if this scene?!?! Like a show/property can have fanservice (even a fair amount) and still tell a nuanced, interesting and/or mature, etc story (see Ghost in the Shell for example) but you have to treat your female characters (if we are talking about female fanservice) like ACTUAL CHARACTERS and not just fetish objects or damsels to rescue. You also have to use fanservice sensibly to avoid scenarios like the above. SAO either doesn't get this or, more likely, doesn't care to get this :(

bigkrev

My god that Tomb Raider thread.

what the fuck

man, people claiming that PS4 is better than any gaming PC....

But yeah, you should avoid the gaming side

I'm afraid to click on that Tales iOS game thread, which will have people bitching about always online DRM for a free game made for Cellphones that are always connected to the internet, and micro transactions that are entirely avoidable.

Everyone should just stop playing all games except Hearthstone. No controversy, it will run fine on a netbook from 2008, and is Free.

Levyne

Banned
To be fair it seems like that ios version may have removed some dungeon save points to try to coerce you into buying the retry orbs, which seems a little scummy.

Microtransactions usually aren't avoidable in F2P games, the whole point is to get you to spend money. Some handle the grinding aspect well, most do not.

daveo42

Banned
Most people should be smart enough to slip in and then quickly back peddle out of there without posting. It was actually thread locked at one point.

On topic, I missed out on the Toonami this past weekend, but recently watched the 3rd episode of Dandy. Heard from a friend you guys got the censored nips. That whole sequence was pretty disgusting and I'm not surprised they did put in some censoring there.

Levyne

Banned
Most people should be smart enough to slip in and then quickly back peddle out of there without posting. It was actually thread locked at one point.

On topic, I missed out on the Toonami this past weekend, but recently watched the 3rd episode of Dandy. Heard from a friend you guys got the censored nips. That whole sequence was pretty disgusting and I'm not surprised they did put in some censoring there.

Yeah I'm not too bummed about having to settle for a blurry nipple boob monster for a few seconds mid transformation. And them having to censor it is understandable.

daveo42

Banned
Yeah I'm not too bummed about having to settle for a blurry nipple boob monster for a few seconds mid transformation. And them having to censor it is understandable.

I expected the censor response because there's no way Standards and Practices was going to let that slide.

Raxus

I hope none of our nakama are dumb enough to be taken in by that thread.

Walked into it and saw what was going on and immediately walked out. Already have mods threatening to close the thread. Thread graveyards are always fascinating reads. The next few months leading to E3 are going to be interesting to say the least.

What was worth discussing for 66 pages? I feel like I've read a whole lot of nothing
- PS4 version of Tomb Raider is revealed to be 60FPS, XBO will be 30FPS
- 'Here we go' and 'Dis gun b good' posts prelude the incoming shitstorm
- PR bashing commences, the sharks begin to circle
- XBO owners start trickling in to downplay the significance
- Shill accusations and dog piling commences
- Reaction GIFS
- Some posters explode and lash out with personal attacks
- Mass bannings
- More reaction GIFS

That's pretty much what happened from what I gathered

Walked into it and saw what was going on and immediately walked out. Already have mods threatening to close the thread. Thread graveyards are always fascinating reads. The next few months leading to E3 are going to be interesting to say the least.

You're a smart man, Raxus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom