• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan15| Sold Our Car for Gas Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

11:30 - Attack on Titan - 11 - Idol: The Struggle for Trost, Part 7
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 7 - The Battle with Ten-Times Gravity! Goku's Race Against the Clock!
12:30 - Naruto Shippuden - 50 - The Picture Book's Story
1:00 - Inuyasha: The Final Act - 6 - The End of Moryomaru
1:30 - One Piece - 284 - I'm Not Gonna Hand Over the Blueprints! Franky's Decision!
2:00 - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 18 - Tell Me the Secrets of This World
2:30 - Deadman Wonderland - 3 - G Block
3:00 - Bleach - 292 - All Out War! Aizen vs the Soul Reapers
3:30 - Space Dandy - 11 - I'm Never Remembering You, Baby
4:00 - Cowboy Bebop (Uncut) - 3 - Honky Tonk Women
4:30 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - 15 - PAT.
5:00 - IGPX - 3 - Black Egg
5:30 - Samurai Jack - 49 - The Four Seasons of Death

Later.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
zlCfzS30yJERWx0dx8

zlCfzS36Q3Ui4PX7-w

LATER

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's at least three perfectly decent final episodes for this show, the first one isn't even halfway through the series.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Im pretty sure the OG inuyasha did the same thing with blatant, unintentionally humorous titles.

A few times they flat out lied, too. I remember one episode was titled something along the lines of "Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru!" and no such thing happened in that episode by any stretch of the imagination. Like they were in the same place at the same time and that was about it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning everyone
Wonderful work SAB

Hopefully I can maintain future soda-less weeks. I can do it!

Dragon Ball Z Kai
Training! Now with less robots, demons, and snake women.
I see the B-team training on Kami's lookout. If only Kami had a room that could provide a year's worth of training in a day, but that's just fantasy.

Shippuden:
Holy crap action! Something is finally go- oh wait it's boring again. Never mind.

InuYasha The Final Act:
"I can't use my sword!" "Fake demon test" "I can use my sword!" We'll see if things slow down a bit next week.

One Piece
For some reason I thought this episode was just Robin's backstory, not a summary of Water 7 plus a little bit of her backstory. Been years since I saw this so... yeah.
So long Straw Hat Theater, you will be missed. And sadly we now have to deal with Crazy Rainbow. Ugh.

Gurren Lagann
ROW ROW BECOME THE POWER. Politics! With an action scene at the end to showcase the upcoming insanity

DBZ Kai: I did like the filler of seeing Gohan become tougher, but I'm totally okay with Kai/manga skipping ahead to him being competent. The scenes with King Kai are always amazing and of course its nice to see the z crew do anything back when they could pretend to be relevant.

Naruto Shippuden: First half gave a false impression that this episode would actually be good, second hald just ripped that down and said "NOPE running though hall ways while flash backing!". It becomes apparent how shitty the second half of Naruto's writing is when the series continues to try and push how great of friends Naruto and Sasuke were and then flash backs to any number of scenes that really don't establish this fact. At best it establishes that Sasuke was one of the first people to recognize Naurto's rapidly growing ability and liked having him as a rival to push himself, but not in a bff we will die for each other like Naruto harps about. Its further compounded though Sakura who still LURVES Sasuke when all he's done is ignore her and treat her like shit. Its not to say that there aren't girls who continue to like or stay with guys who are emotionally or physically abusive, but Sasuke has never once given Sakura a reason to still be this hung up on him years later. Finally you have Sai who goes from traitor to trusted ally again for really no reason other then the worst talk no jutsu speech in the series. Heck wouldn't have going with Kabuto who probably knew where Sasuke was and letting Naruto and co follow with a paper animal jutsu have been a better tactic then just ending his allegiance with Kabuto then and there? Argh this series is so poorly written

InuYasha Final Act: InuYasha got another power up in the form of seeing Demon Vortexes which lets him kill demons... Somehow? They just seem like big glowing weak points in the sky around baddies to give InuYasha justification for beating some of the later/tougher foes in the series. It is amusing to see where they took 2-5 episodes worth of content and crushed them into these 20 minute roller coasters which apparently will finally come to an end next week and things will be a bit more manageable? I can't say I don't enjoy InuYasha FA but this mach 10 pacing should never have been approved.

One Piece Theater: Probably my favorite theater of the bunch, it mostly built towards its one big pay off joke that worked really well. Thank god recaps are finally over.

Gurren Lagann: Really love everyone's post time skip design, I like the look of the anti spiral enemies I just wish they weren't all cg-i :/ . A slow more character and political focuse first half gave way to a crazy hype second half and if the series builds from here the battles are sure to get bigger and zanier and I look forward to it.

Deadman Wonderland: I'm surprised just how much was changed from the manga. Lots of little and big things that might have had bigger reprocussions down the line had the series lived past 12 episode. None of the changes are bad in the context of this anime alone right now especially knowing its short length, but it could be an issue on the low chance DMWL ever got a new anime series. Shiro is the right level of hot/crazy and Ganta is slowly manning up while still being a believable 14 year old thrown into a crazy circumstance. Those of you first timers wondering who or why Shiro exists or is in the prison should wait those answers won't be explained for awhile but they are important to the story.

Wantabe power hour: The time loop episode of Space Dandy is one of my favorite season 1 episodes. Its cool seeing some of the foreshadowing for later events in hind sight that Wantabe and co tucked away in plain sight this early on. Really helps support how amazing of a series Space Dandy is. Bebop continues to look great in HD and while Ein's introduction episode isn't one of my favorites the crazy big chase scenes involving him, spike, hakeem, and the scientist are very entertaining and the ost is fantastic. Wantabe da god etc etc

GitS: Pretty fantastic origin story for section 9's sniper and a great episode to show off just how much of a bad ass the major is/was. One of the first times I can recall the whole entirely cyborg thing being played up in the series I know its a big deal in the manga and anime films but it seems to get downplayed a bit in sac and 2nd gig. This is easily the best stand alone episode across boss seasons and the first episode I enjoyed having the Tachikomas around.

All in all pretty solid night

Seda

Deadman Wonderland: I'm surprised just how much was changed from the manga. Lots of little and big things that might have had bigger reprocussions down the line had the series lived past 12 episode. None of the changes are bad in the context of this anime alone right now especially knowing its short length, but it could be an issue on the low chance DMWL ever got a new anime series. Shiro is the right level of hot/crazy and Ganta is slowly manning up while still being a believable 14 year old thrown into a crazy circumstance. Those of you first timers wondering who or why Shiro exists or is in the prison should wait those answers won't be explained for awhile but they are important to the story.

Apparently the last few episodes are basically veering off into FMA03-esqe territory with how much it deviates.

Gorillaz

Passed out early last night, Missed the back half of Final Act.

Never seen Deadman Wonderland so I'll probably try to catch the first episode later today. Roommate was watching also and he DVR'd it lol

Apparently the last few episodes are basically veering off into FMA03-esqe territory with how much it deviates.

That's what I've heard, and it makes sense considering if they did a 1:1/2:1 pacing you'd get a pretty big twist near the end of the series (chapter 9 of the manga IIRC) with zero pay off for it if you didn't gecko ending. I'm just noticing that even as early as episode 2 they're already deviating in slight ways to slowly lead the series towards a gecko ending.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think what makes that scene so funny is that you're expecting her to beat the crap out of the guy for asking such a thing like in most shows, but she's just all "Oh I'm a G, that answer your question?".

Gorillaz

I think what makes that scene so funny is that you're expecting her to beat the crap out of the guy for asking such a thing like in most shows, but she's just all "Oh I'm a G, that answer your question?".

It came out of life field honestly thought she was about to kill dude on the spot. So goofy lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Good morning everyone
Wonderful work SAB

Hopefully I can maintain future soda-less weeks. I can do it!

Morn- Afternoon, now! And Thanks! I rather like the way the final pic ended up too, especially since I had to crush in the last straggling pieces REALLY fast towards the end.

Toonami without Soda overkill! I had a sweet tea myself. I will miss Strawhat Theater. Maybe they should just replace Shippuden with the SD Rock Lee show...

GitS: Pretty fantastic origin story for section 9's sniper and a great episode to show off just how much of a bad ass the major is/was.

All in all pretty solid night

It's all so hammy and convenient a situation, I often wonder how true it all is. Which really mixes weird with Pazu's Episode having JUST happened. 2 episodes that end with misdirection and half-truths all over the place.

In retrospect, I don't think the Tachikoma's have ever bothered me. I always find it funny that military peeps would get the voice of cute young girls to inhibit their war tanks, but that seems a very... JAPAN thing to do.

I think the cgi for the Anti-spiral actually works well to enhance the "alien destroyers" feel.

Surprised this never bothered me much either, as I HATED when they started to do such in Gundam. I guess their largely geometrical designs and total alien feel really do help. Plus I love the way the rest of the show is drawn.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This reminds me a fighting game cover art

Toonami BRAWL, coming to consoles 2032!

Fighters are always an inspiration to me, so I'm always channeling them one way or another. If that comes through, I'm always happy! :)

http://i.imgur.com/DONEDs6.gif

I found the cgi with the bees and lizard last night to be quite impactful.

http://i.imgur.com/GFs83F9.gif

That shot of Nami looks like it belongs in some totally different animation. I can never place my finger on what, though.

Slowpudden: The animals have better fights than the characters. I don't understand why the Saimyosho guest appearance seemed to have no rhyme or reason at all... expected it to be some part of a plan, but eh...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Like the end of the review says the show is in fact quite good up until it isn't, i.e. the end of the first major story arc. It takes a decade of futility to get through the second arc.

Seems like a lot to suddenly drop it :/

And can someone link me to where we got our thread name from lol

Thats the bleach catch 22, you'll be really into the series, and then the next 50-60 episodes slowly get worse and worse (ignoring filler) and then things get to stupid levels around the part where Toonami is at. You either learn to enjoy the series for its stupidity or you hate it for that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Thats the bleach catch 22, you'll be really into the series, and then the next 50-60 episodes slowly get worse and worse (ignoring filler) and then things get to stupid levels around the part where Toonami is at. You either learn to enjoy the series for its stupidity or you hate it for that.

It's even more sinister than that if you ignore the Non-Canon™ material.

Like Shippuden it starts off with a great premise but moves at such a slow pace. Then by the time you realize how dumb it is you're already caught in Aizen's trap.

Soulflarz

Banned
Well 100 PPP is dumb anyway.

. (I use 50 because RAM with a ton of gaf tabs open)

Soo I'm sad ive been missing gurren lagann for the past 5 episodes. Also, I'm curious if DMWL will be the bleep heaven that it was originally. I wasn't with you guys, I was with my other group of toonami friends who are all gone, but I loved that initial run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom