• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan15| Sold Our Car for Gas Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

The KLK dub looks like it may improve some characters if the short clip is to be believed.

Also my eyes won't fall out of my sockets when Mako starts talking at a million miles an hour.

I have the dub (what's been released so far) and it's really good. Satsuki and Senketsu are the only voices that took a hit in my opinion but even then they are fine. Just different. The rest of the English voices are downright fantastic. It's a solid dub that isn't afraid to take liberties to make the dialog more fun and appropriate to English rather than just being a literal translation.

As for Mako, she's WAAAY easier to follow although some of the visual puns she performs when she talks don't really translate well in the dub.

B6jvFhyCYAADafL.jpg

Had a long day yesterday, so I didn't get a chance to comment on KLK coming to Toonami, but that's great news! And it gets to bat leadoff, which I don't think anyone was expecting.

The dub is just fine in my opinion - there's a little feeling about at first as the VAs become comfortable with the characters, and I even like Senkestu's (which I know others don't).

Also, we could have a new show for BEEP TRACKER as the language has gotten saltier as the dub has moved forward.

Unless this has been in the works for a while and Aniplex got sneaky and made a TV edit...

daveo42

Banned
Whelp, I picked a poor night to crash early. Kill la Kill coming to Toonami? I'm actually surprised by this news. Will be worth watching again just to see if my previous opinion of it holds up or not.
It's 11 episodes too long and it desperately needed cuts to some of the fat and filler. Good show all around, but no TTGL.

Edit:

That''s a really solid dub. Only issue is Senketsu not sounding enough like an old man, but I guess I can let that slide.

By the way, my podcast finally got around to posting our awards show for 2014.

We called it The TOMmys because bad puns are great, and we kind of stole Giant Bomb's awards format since this largely consists of the deliberations for categories like Voice Actor of the Year, Best Promo, Worst Character, Worst Ending, and more. Though we do have the actual award announcements, too, and they're delivered by random people we've had on the podcast in the past like the Toonami Faithful guys and Kyle Hebert.

There are timestamps if you don't wanna listen to the whole thing, so you can just jump to the award announcements (which have the winners and runner-ups) or the overall recap of just the winners for each category.

By the way, my podcast finally got around to posting our awards show for 2014.

We called it The TOMmys because bad puns are great, and we kind of stole Giant Bomb's awards format since this largely consists of the deliberations for categories like Voice Actor of the Year, Best Promo, Worst Character, Worst Ending, and more. Though we do have the actual award announcements, too, and they're delivered by random people we've had on the podcast in the past like the Toonami Faithful guys and Kyle Hebert.

There are timestamps if you don't wanna listen to the whole thing, so you can just jump to the award announcements (which have the winners and runner-ups) or the overall recap of just the winners for each category.

Just post us what the final results!

Just post us what the final results!

.....that does make sense. Go click a timestamp if you want reasoning behind these:

Best Promo:
Black Lagoon / DBZ Kai (WINNER) / FMA: The Sacred Star of Milos / Hellsing Ultimate / One Piece: Enies Lobby Arc / Space Dandy Season 2 / Space Dandy: Dandy Dreams

Best Song:
Guren no Yumiya (Attack on Titan OP1) / Cha-La Head Cha-La (Broly OP) / Rap is a Man's Soul (Gurren Lagann, WINNER) / With Your Drill, Pierce the Heavens (Gurren Lagann) / Broken English (Hellsing) / Zakuro (Hellsing) / Kimi ga Inai Mirai (InuYasha: TFA OP1) / Kokoro no Chizu (One Piece OP5) / We Are (One Piece recap OP) / Lonely Nights (Space Dandy) / Viva Namida (Space Dandy OP)

Best Bump Music:
The Death Set - I Miss You Beau Velasco (Space Dandy s2 promo) / Dolor - Same Old Song Remix (First AoT bumps) / Flying Lotus - Never Catch Me / Joe Boyd Vigil - Broken Promise (Dandy Dreams) / Mastodon - Capillarian Crest (Hellsing bumps) / El-P - Drones Over Bklyn (movie month hyperspace intro) / A Passing Fancy - I’m Losing It Tonight (Enies Lobby promo) / Run the Jewels - Blockbuster Night Part 1 (Broly promo, WINNER) / Super X 13 - Rocket Ship (Space Dandy episode 5 promo)

Most Quotable:
Beware the Batman / Black Lagoon / Blue Exorcist / Gurren Lagann (WINNER) / Hellsing Ultimate / Space Dandy / Sword Art Online

Worst Moment:
Ra's al Ghul's "death" (Batman) / Deathstroke clusterfuck (Batman) / Ginjo's betrayal (Bleach) / Good guy Satan (Blue Exorcist) / Plot Twists (FMA: Milos) / Monologues (Hellsing) / Sai's Journal (Shippuden) / Courage Punch (Soul Eater) / Asuna Being Rapebait (SAO WINNER)

Best Moment:
Eren gets eaten (AoT) / Rock and Revy argue (Black Lagoon) / Kamina's Death (Gurren Lagann) / Simon gets over Kamina's death (Gurren Lagann) / Invasion of London (Hellsing) / Seras drinks Pip's blood (Hellsing) / Puppet Fight (Shippuden) / Luffy vs. Usopp (One Piece, WINNER) / "I Want to Live" (One Piece) / Emo Dandy and crew (Space Dandy) / Lonely Nights performance (Space Dandy) / Landing at Point Rain (Clone Wars)

Worst-Looking:
Beware the Batman / Bleach / Broly / Naruto Shippuden (WINNER)

Best-Looking
Attack on Titan (sometimes) / Bleach (filler arc) / Blue Exorcist / FMA: The Sacred Star of Milos / Gurren Lagann / Naruto Shippuden (sometimes) / Samurai Jack / Soul Eater / Space Dandy (WINNER) / Star Wars: The Clone Wars (season 3) / Sword Art Online

Worst Ending:
Bleach / Blue Exorcist / FMA: The Sacred Star of Milos / Hellsing Ultimate / Soul Eater / Sword Art Online (WINNER)

Best Ending:
Attack on Titan / Space Dandy (WINNER) / Black Lagoon

Biggest Disappointment:
Attack on Titan's melodramatic nonsense / Beware the Batman in general / Clone Wars season 3 / Movie Month / Shippuden's pacing (WINNER) / Shows being pulled / Soul Eater ending

Biggest Surprise:
Attack on Titan / Black Lagoon / Clone Wars season 2 being good / Cooler's Revenge (WINNER) / Gurren Lagann / Hellsing Ultimate / InuYasha: TFA / The Intruder II / Space Dandy being amazing

Best Cast:
Black Lagoon / DBZ Kai / Gurren Lagann / Hellsing Ultimate / One Piece (WINNER) / Space Dandy

Worst Character:
Batman / Satan / Eren Yeager / Katana / Anarky / Broly / Kon / Nozomi / Julia (FMA) / Schrodinger / Shippo / Sai / Sakura / Kirito / Sugo (WINNER) / Suguha

Best Character:
Jean (AOT) / Balalaika / Revy / Rock / Kamina / Simon / Jan Valentine (Hellsing) / The Major (Hellsing) / Nico Robin / Usopp (WINNER) / The Scotsman / Dandy / Cad Bane (Clone Wars)

Voice Actor of the Year:
Johnny Yong Bosch (various) / Justin Cook (Raditz) / John DiMaggio (The Scotsman) / Patricia Drake (Balalaika) / Crispin Freeman (Alucard) / Kyle Hebert (Kamina) / Maryke Hendrikse (Revy) / Gildart Jackson (The Major) / Mako (Aku) / Bryce Papenbrook (various) / Ian Sinclair (Dandy) / Sonny Strait (Usopp, WINNER) / Stephanie Young (Robin)

Worst Show: (all premieres/new acquisitions eligible)
Blue Exorcist / Naruto Shippuden / Sword Art Online (WINNER)

Best Show: (see above)
Black Lagoon / One Piece / Space Dandy (WINNER)

Thing We Are Indifferent About:
Blue Exorcist's main cast / Captain Murphy / Game reviews / Licensor representation (BUT SENTAI) / One Piece recaps / Opening and ending edits / Reruns / Samurai Jack (WINNER) / Zurtrun

TheChits

.....that does make sense. Go click a timestamp if you want reasoning behind these:

Best Song:
Guren no Yumiya (Attack on Titan OP1) / Cha-La Head Cha-La (Broly OP) / Rap is a Man's Soul (Gurren Lagann, WINNER) / With Your Drill, Pierce the Heavens (Gurren Lagann) / Broken English (Hellsing) / Zakuro (Hellsing) / Kimi ga Inai Mirai (InuYasha: TFA OP1) / Kokoro no Chizu (One Piece OP5) / We Are (One Piece recap OP) / Lonely Nights (Space Dandy) / Viva Namida (Space Dandy OP)

Some great choices there. I think my choice would have to be I Should Be, which played in both season finales of Dandy. A poignant tune for me

Some great choices there. I think my choice would have to be I Should Be, which played in both season finales of Dandy. A poignant tune for me

we were kinda lazy about the whole music nominations thing and didn't listen much to show soundtracks, but i think our winner and runner-ups would have remained the same even if we did put some more effort into that category (though this song is pretty good so who knows). plus we did forget to put the Sniper King theme instead of We Are

BtB still looks worse on average than Shippuden. Shippuden just has more memorable awful looking scenes.

I think the argument was that while Batman is consistently at a lower level, Shippuden has quite a few moments where it looks even worse. Plus there's the whole expectations thing; Beware was just a random new CG Batman show made when action cartoons were dying a slow and painful death, and Shippuden is the sequel to an incredibly popular series yet manages to look worse than that older series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Unless they somehow get the rights to Green Lantern or some really bad looking anime you'll probably never see an actual series on TOONAMI that looks worse than BtB.

Squishy3

Unless they somehow get the rights to Green Lantern or some really bad looking anime you'll probably never see an actual series on TOONAMI that looks worse than BtB.
Is this limited to the current Toonami run, though? Because I can always dig back and point out SD Gundam Force. :p

As for the list of 5 most requested, yeah, that's about what I expect from the majority audience this Toonami has. It's likely mostly from the people who post on every AS Facebook post and reply to every Twitter post "Stop with the live action stuff more Family Guy and anime"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Better looking than BtB.

Candidate for Goddess Pilot is the only show that looks worse than BtB. Even that's close.

Green Lantern blows both of them out of the water though.

daveo42

Banned
I think the argument was that while Batman is consistently at a lower level, Shippuden has quite a few moments where it looks even worse. Plus there's the whole expectations thing; Beware was just a random new CG Batman show made when action cartoons were dying a slow and painful death, and Shippuden is the sequel to an incredibly popular series yet manages to look worse than that older series.

I agree, the source material has some good portions in it, it's that anything good was drowned out by trying to air Shippuden on what appears to be a shoestring budget. Taking what was in the manga and giving us that makes it worse than BtB. At least (supposedly) Shippuden gets better in terms of pacing as it goes on, though nothing will save it from the pit that is the (spoiler)
excessively long and drawn out war arc.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Best thing all year was One Piece. Same as last year. Same as this year.

Dandy though? Easy second place. Black Lagoon? Easy third place.

Gorillaz

Yea I was mainly counting shows that started this year, main reason I didn't count One Piece because it didn't "premiere" this year on the block. Still a good show tho despite my view on the animation

edit: Even tho I already saw AoT I would still put it up there just because of how over the top yet mindless fun it is. The ride isn't the same a 2nd time around but it was nice to see it with dubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom