• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan15| Sold Our Car for Gas Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
So guys, the rebrand for Boomerang launched today.

B7urmRRCcAEV6Zj.jpg:large

daveo42

Banned
I'm guessing I would enjoy it considering I'm a fan of generic shonen (Ex. Bleach, Blue Exorcist)

I may rag on some anime like Bleach because of its pacing or throw-away character and Blue Exorcist for falling apart at the end, but Fairy Tail is on a whole other level of bad. I read it for a bit because I found some of the story lines to be somewhat interesting early on, but eventually it falls under every major and minor shounen trope known to man and constantly repeats them over and over again.

I'd recommend watching it up to a point but it does grate on you really fast since every arc plays out the same way. At least finish the Tower of Heaven Arc which is more or less the peak of the series.

Do this after you have finished much much better anime :p

I do too, it is just after Terror in Resonance (which it mirrors thus far) I am cautious it might begin to fall apart. That being said the OVA and the content it is based off of I hear is very good and with Madhouse backing it the animation will remain stellar. It is the only anime this season I picked up that is original.

This is the other issue I have with it. It was so generic that I don't even remember that arc or any of them in particular outside of the last one I read and one of the early Lucy arcs.

If it is your thing, I won't knock your decision. We are just coming from a place of experience with the anime/manga and there are other series more deserving of your time than Fairy Tail.

Edit: Ehhhh....I don't really see the comparison so far between the two outside of some very small similarities. There's a much larger story there we aren't seeing and the one outsider we do have seem way way more competent than the girl from Terror. If it does fall apart, I'll concede, but I'm giving it a fair shake.

Edit 2: I can see why they'd want to better associate Boomerang with CN in the logo itself instead of having it spelled out, but it looks pretty ehhhhhh to me.

Raxus

Edit: Ehhhh....I don't really see the comparison so far between the two outside of some very small similarities. There's a much larger story there we aren't seeing and the one outsider we do have seem way way more competent than the girl from Terror. If it does fall apart, I'll concede, but I'm giving it a fair shake.
I am taking a rather barebones approach when comparing (since both are radically different shows). Both had good episodes 1 and 2 and both had some of the best openings for the season. The biggest thing both share that worries me is they both deal with hefty subjects which wound up crushing TiR. Again, everything I hear about Death Parade's material leaves me slightly more at ease and it is much easier to follow in an episode by episode basis. The second episode of Death Parade really solidified things as well where TiR never quite reached the high of the first episode.

daveo42

Banned
I am taking a rather barebones approach when comparing (since both are radically different shows). Both had good episodes 1 and 2 and both had some of the best openings for the season. The biggest thing both share that worries me is they both deal with hefty subjects which wound up crushing TiR. Again, everything I hear about Death Parade's material leaves me slightly more at ease and it is much easier to follow in an episode by episode basis. The second episode of Death Parade really solidified things as well where TiR never quite reached the high of the first episode.

The song for TiR was good, but I felt like the opening animation for the show was far too cluttered in some sections. I get the vibe and look they were going for, but there was just so much stuff happening that I kind of tuned out the visuals early on in the show.

Spoilers for TiR:
You know where they fucked up in TiR was turning the battle between the MCs and the detective into a battle between them and another girl who was formerly at the same institute during the 2nd half.

Space Dandy seems like a series they could stretch out over a couple of more seasons without suffering from a dip in quality. Having so many different directors and art styles makes each episode feel fresh. Maybe if the DVD/Bluray sales go through the roof and toonami ratings gain some sort of above-average consistency they'll considering funding more episodes.

I dunno though; I'm just talking out of my butt here and thinking "If Family Guy did it why not Dandy?"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Imagine how great the animation would look if they had the budget to do a Space Dandy movie. Though they'd have to do something in order to make it not feel like a 90 minute episode. Perhaps the movie could serve as the actual "finale" or whatever.

Grexeno

Imagine how great the animation would look if they had the budget to do a Space Dandy movie. Though they'd have to do something in order to make it not feel like a 90 minute episode. Perhaps the movie could serve as the actual "finale" or whatever.
I would be just fine with a 90 minute episode of Space Dandy

Raxus

I am at an impasse personally. I am content with how Dandy ended and if they never showed another episode I'd be happy.

On the other hand I have gotten to love the characters so much and the series was more or less in a groove for the second season that it'd be like visiting old friends all over again.

In short, more Dandy can never be a bad thing with S1 and S2 to always fondly remember but I wouldn't mind S3/4 or a movie coming out of it.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yu Yu Hakusho S2 Spoilers (dont click if you havent seen it) - and yes i know some details about what happens after if anyone tries to correct me on the title

Episode title- The Death of Genkai

Holy shit, you guys weren't kidding about Toei Animation and their spoiler titles

daveo42

Banned
If anything, I'd want another season of Dandy as opposed to a Dandy movie. Part of the draw is the constantly changing directors and animation/art styles that kept it interesting and fresh.

Yu Yu Hakusho S2 Spoilers (dont click if you havent seen it) - and yes i know some details about what happens after if anyone tries to correct me on the title

Holy shit, you guys weren't kidding about Toei Animation and their spoiler titles

I don't see how that's a spoiler, you could see this telegraphed a mile away. Personally, I wasn't shocked watching this the first time on toonami back in 2002.

Dandy season 3 will consist entirely of courtroom episodes.

In seriousness, as far as a movie goes I always thought it'd be cool if they somehow made a series of interconnected shorts by different directors and writers.

Also, Pierrot made Yu Yu Hakusho back when Pierrot made good shows, not Toei.

Soulflarz

Banned
I don't see how that's a spoiler, you could see this telegraphed a mile away. Personally, I wasn't shocked watching this the first time on toonami back in 2002.

Aa oh cmon youve called me out for saying less about shows >.>

But uh, its a spoiler if say, you only saw s1, or havent seen the show. Yes, everyone knows by this point in the show.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If anything, I hope Season 3 kind of did what S1 did and have more episodes focused on Meow, QT, Scarlet, etc. as those are some of my favorite episodes.

I still can't believe we never got a Dr. Gel or Bea focused episode. Hell, after the finale of S2, I'd love to see an episode on Bea's backstory.

Aa oh cmon youve called me out for saying less about shows >.>

But uh, its a spoiler if say, you only saw s1, or havent seen the show. Yes, everyone knows by this point in the show.

There's a slight difference between getting spoiled by an obvious title card (Ex. Inuyasha) and having a poster ruin a plot point for you by not using tags.

What do you mean seasons? YYH doesn't have traditional seasons as far as I know; it just gets divided up by arcs. So if you only watched the first one where he's getting his body back, skipping all the character development between then and the dark tournament, and then start watching when Tuguro
kills Genkai
then yeah, I guess that's a spoiler. But then again that's like me not watching One Piece since the first arc and then considering a title card with Franky's name in it a spoiler. So I don't consider it to be a spoiler because
her death
was telegraphed unless you weren't paying attention to the story.

Soulflarz

Banned
There's a slight difference between getting spoiled by an obvious title card (Ex. Inuyasha) and having a poster ruin a plot point for you by not using tags.

What do you mean seasons? YYH doesn't have traditional seasons as far as I know; it just gets divided up by arcs. So if you only watched the first one where he's getting his body back, skipping all the character development between then and the dark tournament, and then start watching when Tuguro
kills Genkai
then yeah, I guess that's a spoiler. But then again that's like me not watching One Piece since the first arc and then considering a title card with Franky's name in it a spoiler. So I don't consider it to be a spoiler because
her death
was telegraphed unless you weren't paying attention to the story.

Eh, even if its telegraphed in the context of the season, I'm not going to openly state what happens to certain people halfway into the show for those who haven't seen it, probably wouldn't be nice.

And yeah, they're divided into seasons on the dvds/blu rays, or at least the modern versions. My Dark Tournament DVDs from years back are arc divided. (S1=before Dark Tourney, S2= Dark Tourney)

Eh, even if its telegraphed in the context of the season, I'm not going to openly state what happens to certain people halfway into the show for those who haven't seen it, probably wouldn't be nice.

And yeah, they're divided into seasons on the dvds/blu rays, or at least the modern versions. My Dark Tournament DVDs from years back are arc divided. (S1=before Dark Tourney, S2= Dark Tourney)

When YYH first aired it wasn't divided up into seasons like anime today; they differentiated by arcs so I'm guessing your dvds/blurays are packaged like that for marketing purposes. Or maybe I'm old and senile.

I personally didn't care about the title card then and I don't now because I had been watching since the very beginning on a set schedule so it was obvious to me what was going to happen. I mean,
she gave Yusuke the spirit wave, went into a fight which demonstrated how weak she was without it, was told she smelled like death by Suzaku, and left to fight Tuguro on her own when it was clear Hiei/Kurama knew what was up. That's not even getting into the whole Genkai-Tuguro backstory that was gradually leaked to the audience which made this fight destined to happen. You knew Genkai came to that island to A) train Yusuke to fight Tuguro and B) die.

Edit: actually it was Shishi who said she smelled iirc

Sooo DRRR has a Russian black guy who is originally from America but his parents emigrated to Russia and now he's randomly in Japan? And a headless guy (girl?) on a motorcycle beats up kidnappers? This show is insane.

Fairy Tail is not as bad as you guys make it out to be, its vanilla and "the same old shit over and over" but things that we generally complain about in bad shonen aren't really there. Can't comment on the anime but the manga is generally pretty well paced with each arc lasting 6 months to a year depending on how important the arc is to the overall story. The series generally does a good job of balancing its large cast of characters in terms of power level and relevance to the story. You always know whats going on in the plot and why characters are doing things. Yes a lot of these things it's able to do by having a very simple plot for each arc on constant repeat, but it never fucks these things up which a lot of other shonen anime/manga can't say.

It truly is the popcorn/lays potato chips of manga/anime, no real substance and you know its not very good or good for you but its easy to keep munching away

Fairy Tail is not as bad as you guys make it out to be, its vanilla and "the same old shit over and over" but things that we generally complain about in bad shonen aren't really there. Can't comment on the anime but the manga is generally pretty well paced with each arc lasting 6 months to a year depending on how important the arc is to the overall story. The series generally does a good job of balancing its large cast of characters in terms of power level and relevance to the story. You always know whats going on in the plot and why characters are doing things. Yes a lot of these things it's able to do by having a very simple plot for each arc on constant repeat, but it never fucks these things up which a lot of other shonen anime/manga can't say.

It truly is the popcorn/lays potato chips of manga/anime, no real substance and you know its not very good or good for you but its easy to keep munching away

Yeah, the seething hatred I see sometimes does confuse me. The anime is pretty well-paced too, up until after the island arc, where we get our first big filler arc and the following canon arc gets stretched out a bit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I read the first 4 or 5 volumes of Fairy Tale & I kind of agree with Bass. It's nowhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but it was just really "meh". I barely even remember anything I read aside from A.) main dude has fire power, B.) flying blue cat = marketable mascot character, & C.) main female is Lucy and maybe she provides fanservice like Nami, I don't know.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Fairy Tail is fairly well put together, the only problem I have with it is the fact it's among the most formulaic things I've read. You guys remember the joke about House, how you could set your watch and be able to predict plot points only by the time? Fairy Tail is like that, only without the occasional breaking of the formula to keep you honest. You know what's going to come, when it's going to come and what's going to result. It follows a strict formula and never really deviates from it. Like, all of it's parts are better than Rave Master (the author's previous work), but I'd still rather read/watch Rave Master because despite it's individual components not being as good as Fairy Tail's the sum of those parts is better.

Basically there's no point to a twist if you can see it coming, and know what it is, before the arc even starts.

Crocodile

I think the biggest issue with Fairy Tail, from what little I know about it, is that it doesn't really add anything of value to Toonami aside from maybe ratings. We already have Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and DBZ which probably aren't leaving ANYTIME soon. Those are four early night slots that are pretty much LOCKED for the next several years. The latest they've premiered a show has been 2am right (or was it 2:30)? So before 2:30 am we only have 3 rotating slots. The 11:30 slot is pretty much reserved for the "new hotness" or whatever Toonami splurged to get. That slot can't go to a 53215123532 episode show because it handicaps Toonami's ability to response to popularity trends in the anime community (which they have been surprising adept at doing). Losing one of the two remaining rotating slots to another 100 year long shonen just SUCKS. It sucks HARD. It greatly reduces the flexibility and variety of the block. I like (good) shonen as much as the next guy but having the entirety of 12-3am Toonami become essentially the 7-9pm block of a Japanese kids channel isn't super appealing to me :/

Grexeno

I think the biggest issue with Fairy Tail, from what little I know about it, is that it doesn't really add anything of value to Toonami aside from maybe ratings. We already have Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and DBZ which probably aren't leaving ANYTIME soon. Those are four early night slots that are pretty much LOCKED for the next several years. The latest they've premiered a show has been 2am right (or was it 2:30)? So before 2:30 am we only have 3 rotating slots. The 11:30 slot is pretty much reserved for the "new hotness" or whatever Toonami splurged to get. That slot can't go to a 53215123532 episode show because it handicaps Toonami's ability to response to popularity trends in the anime community (which they have been surprising adept at doing). Losing one of the two remaining rotating slots to another 100 year long shonen just SUCKS. It sucks HARD. It greatly reduces the flexibility and variety of the block. I like (good) shonen as much as the next guy but having the entirely of 12-3am Toonami become essentially the 7-9pm block of a Japanese kids channel isn't super appealing to me :/

That's why there's no way any new long shounen comes to the block until AT LEAST when Kai finishes its first run.

While it's not terrible, Fairy Tail is a pretty mediocre, by-the-books shonen series with ecchi bait.
If you've seen Naruto, One Piece. DBZ, Bleach, etc., you're not going to get anything fresh or new in Fairy Tail.

And like it's been said, we don't need FIVE endless shonen on the block clogging up premiere slots.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
While it's not terrible, Fairy Tail is a pretty mediocre, by-the-books shonen series with ecchi bait.
If you've seen Naruto, One Piece. DBZ, Bleach, etc., you're not going to get anything fresh or new in Fairy Tail.

And like it's been said, we don't need FIVE endless shonen on the block clogging up premiere slots.

Pretty much, we need room up top for fresh stuff.

while on paper a shitty show is worse than a mediocre show, i'd rather watch a shitty show because that's bound to be more interesting.

basically, Sword Art Online II > Fairy Tail

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Interestingly bad is overall more memorable than boringly bad. At least SAO made for a hilarious group watch and leaves a bigger impact on you overall. I can't even remember much of the few volumes I read of Fairy Tale.

Bad stays in your head, boring doesn't.

daveo42

Banned
while on paper a shitty show is worse than a mediocre show, i'd rather watch a shitty show because that's bound to be more interesting.

basically, Sword Art Online II > Fairy Tail

How about we avoid both.
I'd take SAO II over Fairy Tail as it would at least end in half a year.

MikeMyers

Studio Pierrot made YYH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom