• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan15| Sold Our Car for Gas Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

Judging by their posts, it seems the only people who've not actually seen Kill la Kill yet are:

• B.K.
  • bigkrev
  • Seda
  • SAB CA
And these have only seen part of it:

• BatDan
  • Htown
  • Mr. Patch
  • pirata
  • UltraGunner
  • TheAbsolution
Pretty much everyone else has already seen it although not all have heard the dub yet.

daveo42

Banned
Might need a spoiler img (similar to the ones already made for the other big shows) to help remind those who have seen it to cool it with the spoiler talk.

Regiruler

Judging by their posts, it seems the only people who've not actually seen Kill la Kill yet are:

• B.K.
  • bigkrev
  • Seda
  • SAB CA

• BatDan
  • Htown
  • Mr. Patch
  • pirata
  • UltraGunner
  • TheAbsolution
Pretty much everyone else has already seen it although not all have heard the dub yet.
Why am I not on the first list

I demand you use your psychic powers more frequently for my convenience.

Tenumi

Banned
Oh, Bass, because I didn't get a chance to do it earlier:
maipHb0.gif

I totally can't wait until I can get a Vita so I can receive this image.

...Sadly, I lack the extra money for one right now... but someday this year...

bigkrev

It's true that I haven't seen KLK, and from what little I know about it, I probably will only make it a few episodes in before I stop watching

LOLDSFAN

• B.K.
  • bigkrev
  • Seda
  • SAB CA

• BatDan
  • Htown
  • Mr. Patch
  • pirata
  • UltraGunner
  • TheAbsolution

I haven't seen it yet.

For those that don't know, KLK is kind of a spiritual successor to Gurren Lagann, so people enjoying that should at least give it a shot (no guarantees of course as many TTGL fans have proven).

daveo42

Banned
For those that don't know, KLK is kind of a spiritual successor to Gurren Lagann, so people enjoying that should at least give it a shot (no guarantees of course as many TTGL fans have proven).

Spiritual successor, but definitely its own thing, which a lot of people tend to forget about when they make the TTGL/KLK comparison.

Grexeno

Just tried to setup new router that I got for Christmas. Complete failure, going to have to send it back in. Couldn't use the setup CD because it's a micro CD, which apparently my laptop doesn't even accept, and the instructions sent me to a website that didn't even work.

Ok, so I'll try setting it up using my roommate's laptop, which can run the CD. NOPE. Since I use a cable modem, I have to run the setup wizard on the original PC where the MAC address is located, which as we've already established, is not possible. So now I have a fucking brick.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Worst case scenario just check out Inferno Cop on Youtube. Best animated shorts in years
:p
It's seriously hilarious where the show goes & how cheap it is with its animation & voice acting.

Also a random surprise cameo from
April 'O Neal.
No really

Seda

I detest fan service but some have said that KLK is so over the top with it that it "loops around" (seen that phrase a few times) to being enjoyable. Self aware, etc.

But I have a feeling it's not for me.

Heroman

Banned
I detest fan service but some have said that KLK is so over the top with it that it "loops around" (seen that phrase a few times) to being enjoyable. Self aware, etc.

But I have a feeling it's not for me.
If you don't let me fan service, your not gonna like it in kill LA kill.

Moaradin

I typically don't like fan service but I'm fine with it in Kill la Kill. It's all about context for me really.

It will be divisive for sure, but that's part of the fun!

Grexeno

The problem with fanservice in anime is that it's such a huge problem that you can't both parody it and actually do it at the same time.

Spiritual successor, but definitely its own thing, which a lot of people tend to forget about when they make the TTGL/KLK comparison.

Oh absolutely.

Still, they have a near-identical presentation and share a lot of the same themes (even if I find Gurren Lagann's main message of progress more meaningful). Hell, episode 3 of KLK is SUPER reminiscent of episode 11 of TTGL to the point where people edited them to swap music.

But yes, spiritual whatever doesn't necessarily mean anything. I'd probably consider Diebuster a spiritual predecessor of Gurren Lagann more than KLK is a spiritual successor.

Seda

If you don't let me fan service, your not gonna like it in kill LA kill.

Well, Space Dandy had a bit I was okay with regarding Honey (episode 3, the one with Johnny, etc). It suited the character of Dandy and the comedic nature of the series. (but it also didn't overwhelm the rest of the show)

Whereas the random ass shots in SAO don't gel with and have nothing to do with anything.

ckohler

Why am I not on the first list
I demand you use your psychic powers more frequently for my convenience.
I haven't seen it yet.

Sweet! I look forward to your reactions. All the more reason for a spoiler warning.

I've only seen about two episodes

Gotcha. Hope you enjoy it.

It's true that I haven't seen KLK, and from what little I know about it, I probably will only make it a few episodes in before I stop watching

Well, Space Dandy had a bit I was okay with regarding Honey (episode 3, the one with Johnny, etc). It suited the character of Dandy and the comedic nature of the series. (but it also didn't overwhelm the rest of the show)

Whereas the random ass shots in SAO don't gel with and have nothing to do with anything.

Here's the thing: This show is more than the sum of its fan service. I think it has a hard time with viewers who can't get past that.

What often goes unsaid is that, first and foremost, KLK is a comedy and a pretty damn funny one. It's not some serious shonen that simply panders (like SAO) because those shows try and pretend the fan service isn't there. Here, the show proudly embraces fan service as a direct part of the narrative. It's all very tongue-in-cheek. Yes, the show also has its more serious notes and is full of hot-blooded action but at its heart it's mostly a comedy that doesn't take itself that seriously.

So, it's far more like Space Dandy in that regard than SAO. In fact, one of the best things about it being on at 11:30 is that we'll get to start the block off with a comedy again.

Moaradin

I mean, fan service is a huge part of Kill la Kill. I'd go so far and say that it's actually integral to the plot itself. If you have a low tolerance for boobs and butts then it probably isn't for you no matter how much the show justifies it.

ckohler

Oh absolutely.

Still, they have a near-identical presentation and share a lot of the same themes (even if I find Gurren Lagann's main message of progress more meaningful). Hell, episode 3 of KLK is SUPER reminiscent of episode 11 of TTGL to the point where people edited them to swap music.

But yes, spiritual whatever doesn't necessarily mean anything. I'd probably consider Diebuster a spiritual predecessor of Gurren Lagann more than KLK is a spiritual successor.

I tend to avoid comparisons to Gurren Lagann mainly because Gurren had a huge budget and so the animation looks jaw dropping where as Kill la Kill is Trigger's first show and only had a small budget.

While I think KLK looks great and has Imaishi's awesome signature style, the lower budget means there's a lot of cut corners animation wise (lots of still frames, reuse of shots, etc.)

bigkrev

Sweet

Here's the thing: This show is more than the sum of its fan service. I think it has a hard time with viewers who can't get past that.

Yep, totally not for me then :(
I couldn't even watch more than a few episodes of Free! because it's just a fanservice show with males instead of females

Grexeno

Yep, totally not for me then :(
I couldn't even watch more than a few episodes of Free! because it's just a fanservice show with males instead of females
I can't imagine anyone taking more than a single glance at Free! and not immediately knowing whether or not it was a show for them.

daveo42

Banned
I tend to avoid comparisons to Gurren Lagann mainly because Gurren had a huge budget and so the animation looks jaw dropping where as Kill la Kill is Trigger's first show and only had a small budget.

While I think KLK looks great and has Imaishi's awesome signature style, the lower budget means there's a lot of cut corners animation wise (lots of still frames, reuse of shots, etc.)

I think the bigger issues people had wasn't the comparison between animation budgets, but expectations on story vs. what KLK was and those did not match up. I think a lot of people hyped up the show well beyond anything it could ever attain and because of that some were let down.

Focusing more on the fact that KLK is its own thing and avoid any comparison to TTGL is probably the best.

Seda

I think the bigger issues people had wasn't the comparison between animation budgets, but expectations on story vs. what KLK was and those did not match up. I think a lot of people hyped up the show well beyond anything it could ever attain and because of that some were let down.

Focusing more on the fact that KLK is its own thing and avoid any comparison to TTGL is probably the best.

Gurren Lagann's 'story' is extremely straightforward until the timeskip, anyway.

Heroman

Banned

Space dandy is like a pbs show when compared to kill LA kill.

Crocodile

The difference between the fanservice in SAO and KLK is that in the former it is ALWAYS for the sake of pandering whilst in the later is starts off as a plot point (which I don't think they did as interesting of a job as they could have with) and later becomes just a matter of fact or something the characters own. Whilst in SAO females are either always relatively weak or become weak, most of the major players in the KLK universe (good or bad) are female so even while they might too often be in states of low dress, they tend to have way more agency and competency.There is also more gender balance in that there is more male nudity/near-nudity in KLK than in any show I can recall that was almost certainly targeted primarily towards heterosexual males.

HOWEVER, there are some notable exceptions where it slides towards the awkward pandering or bad joke scale in KLK and those tend to stick out because they are so unlike a lot of the rest of show. I can imagine a few episodes generating a page or two of "WHY?.jpg" and what not. Even when the show is staying "above the board" though, there is no denying that Imaishi is a bit of a pervert and that the outfits in KLK are way more risque than in SAO so I can understand why that would be an immediate turn off for some people.

So overall, I don't think its as bad as something like SAO and in fact I put it above a lot of fanservice shows in how it approaches the subject. However, it still isn't clear of any sketchy stuff. Its certainly way worse than Space Dandy (which had fanservice levels you'd pretty much find in any HBO show and was pretty much sketch free).

I think the biggest issues is that the show has a number of plotting, narrative and characterization flaws that TTGL mostly avoided (IMO of course but I know many who agree with me). The metaphors and aims of TTGL are very clear from beginning to end and most of the characters have clear, decisive character arcs. The same isn't really true of KLK - things get muddier as the show goes on and when you compare where the show started to where it ended, it is almost certain that there was some number of internal rewrites that happened as the show went on.

Considering that TTGL and KLK share the same director AND head writer (as well as a few other key staff), the disparity in writing quality between the two shows becomes more apparent and disappointing. Outside the battles, where both shows go kind of crazy, TTGL is more subdued than KLK - a lot of people can only handle so much of Imaishi's craziness so I know the lessened "restraint" was a turn off for some people.

This is not to say I didn't get a lot of enjoyment out of KLK but that many of the criticisms people levy against the show are dead on and I completely understand why it was a turn off for a lot of people. It's a show I found a good deal of enjoyment from but not a show I'm eager to go to bat for if that makes any sense.

Gorillaz

I watched the first episode of KLK one day when I was bored at work.

I remembered when I first saw KLK. The fights at first were crazy then the story did a turn....then another turn....then another like 4 turns. Felt like I was in too deep to stop at that point so I said fuck it let's gooooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom