• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan15| Sold Our Car for Gas Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

ldpBCUg.png

(posting more to point out the Toonami seemingly tried to acquire DC properties, not the wishful hoping for a new Justice League)

Toonami |FebOT| Where are all the digital bikinis?

Toonami |FebOT| You can't spell T&A without Toonami

Toonami |FebOT| Well, at least we have something to talk about at 11:30 now

Toonami |FebOT| ROW ROW Ryuko

Toonami |FebOT| DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAAAAY is not the name of that song, actually

Toonami |FebOT| Saving us money by airing KLK

Soulflarz

Banned
Seda, title has to be "DONT LOSE YOUR WAYYYY", it's too notable of a line to not use

(I feel like me being gone all day means I missed the entire fanservice talk, whoops! Also- Anime=/= Movies, you arent getting panty shots where the camera is showing the scene from low angles every half minute. I think it's a different medium, yes, but I think the fanservice is on different levels than a movie?

Crocodile

ldpBCUg.png

(posting more to point out the Toonami seemingly tried to acquire DC properties, not the wishful hoping for a new Justice League)

That sucks. Some of those periodic DC animated movies would be nice Toonami fodder.

Seda, title has to be "DONT LOSE YOUR WAYYYY", it's too notable of a line to not use

(I feel like me being gone all day means I missed the entire fanservice talk, whoops! Also- Anime=/= Movies, you arent getting panty shots where the camera is showing the scene from low angles every half minute. I think it's a different medium, yes, but I think the fanservice is on different levels than a movie?

Panty shots are pretty much a Japanese exclusive thing but pretty much every other angle of the male and female body are up for sexualization in Hollywood and have been.

Raxus

Basically DC stuff is either too expensive, DC doesn't want their stuff associated with Adult Swim, or both.

100% the former than the ladder. DC never shied away from more mature content in their animated films so they would be fine on Adult Swim...however the price to make the animated movies is probably high pushing them out of the shoe string budget that Toonami runs on.
Wow. You guys are having a serious conversation? And not a single gif in sight? Who are you people and when did you replace my normal ToonamiGAF?
Clearly we need more Sakura.
whatever follows you had a part in

Battleship Yamato 2199 Episode 6
school-rumble-thumbs-up-o.gif

ldpBCUg.png

Sucks. Maybe they could at least air the recent home to video DC animated releases? Those are more geared to an older audience anyway.

Thanks you Croc, you're elaboration on what I said was what I meant with my comment last night about the age of fan service characters and their target audience.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Panty shots are pretty much a Japanese exclusive thing but pretty much every other angle of the male and female body are up for sexualization in Hollywood and have been.
I'd say it's a US television thing as well. Doesn't help my younger sister watches stuff like Dance Moms or worse, Toddlers & Tiaras before my dad said she wasn't allowed to watch it anymore. Honestly, I'm MUCH more disturbed & creeped out by those than Kill la Kill. Least KlK had characters that ARE or very CLOSE to being legal.....those two shows, however....*shudders*

daveo42

Banned
Toonami |Feb15| Don't Lose Your Clothes

Toonami |Feb15| Hotdog La Hotdog: Uncensored

Toonami |Feb15| Scissoring High School Girls (and Boys)

Wow. You guys are having a serious conversation? And not a single gif in sight? Who are you people and when did you replace my normal ToonamiGAF?

I need to stop going to bed early and missing some of this stuff.

We had a great conversation last night; lots of great points raised that are making me re-evaluate my stance. I'm looking forward to all the discussions KLK is going to bring in the coming months.

daveo42

Banned
We had a great conversation last night; lots of great points raised that are making me re-evaluate my stance. I'm looking forward to all the discussions KLK is going to bring in the coming months.

I looked over some of it, it just sucks a bit more that I wasn't there for it and to actively participate in that moment. I, for one, am mostly fine with fanservice as long as it doesn't really take itself seriously and/or doesn't really detract from the show itself. I know there's a bit more that goes into what can be classified as fanservice (Croc had a fantastic post), but I find some of it benign.

Yoko is a fanservice character, but serves an actual purpose beyond that as a character and part of the TTGL team. The big problem with SAO is how it is used regardless of the situation and most of the characters exist solely for fanservice. KLK does a great job of turning the idea on its head most of the time.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I looked over some of it, it just sucks a bit more that I wasn't there for it and to actively participate in that moment. I, for one, am mostly fine with fanservice as long as it doesn't really take itself seriously and/or doesn't really detract from the show itself. I know there's a bit more that goes into what can be classified as fanservice (Croc had a fantastic post), but I find some of it benign.

Yoko is a fanservice character, but serves an actual purpose beyond that as a character and part of the TTGL team. The big problem with SAO is how it is used regardless of the situation and most of the characters exist solely for fanservice. KLK does a great job of turning the idea on its head most of the time.
I think this sums up my feelings on the matter, despite having a higher tolerance for it (I blame the fact I watched a decent amount in high school). I think Yoko is a good example of a character who, despite her outfit, still has an actual character & contributes to the plot/team. Or heck, one could argue Faye Valentine is one with her outfit, but we got to learn a LOT more about her actual character & backstory. We feel invested in her after learning of her past, but she also has her personality as well.

I guess a good fanservice character is one you're attracted to physically (without being overdone i.e Queen's Blade or Seikon no Qwaser) AND emotionally. It just has to be done correctly, as mentioned above, but it seems rather hard to do.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I think a big thing with Kill la Kill is what "fanservice" actually means.

Bottom line is: nudity and/or sexuality in service to the story is not in and of itself "fanservice." Anime fans have this weird insistence on throwing out the word fanservice any time anything vaguely titillating occurs, but that's kind of missing the point. "Fanservice" is a something extra, a tease or pandering for the fans. It doesn't even actually have to be sexual in nature. That's just the most common form of it. For example:

In Cowboy Bebop, seeing Gren naked in the shower is NOT fanservice.
In Cowboy Bebop, seeing Faye sunbathing in a tiny bikini on the deck of the Bebop for no real reason IS fanservice.

There are certainly times and ways in which Kill la Kill crosses that line into fanservice territory (a couple of camera angles in the transformation sequence, for example, are a bit on the unnecessary side, as well as a couple of scenes that occur pretty deep into the series, which I assure you you will know as soon as you see them). But I'd argue that most of KLK's sexuality is NOT of the fanservice-y nature (or at least not completely). And I'd also say the character who is most frequently cast with a fanservice-y gaze, particularly relative to the amount of time they're on screen, is male.

daveo42

Banned
I think a big thing with Kill la Kill is what "fanservice" actually means.

Bottom line is: nudity and/or sexuality in service to the story is not in and of itself "fanservice." Anime fans have this weird insistence on throwing out the word fanservice any time anything vaguely titillating occurs, but that's kind of missing the point. "Fanservice" is a something extra, a tease or pandering for the fans. It doesn't even actually have to be sexual in nature. That's just the most common form of it. For example:

In Cowboy Bebop, seeing Gren naked in the shower is NOT fanservice.
In Cowboy Bebop, seeing Faye sunbathing in a tiny bikini on the deck of the Bebop for no real reason IS fanservice.

There are certainly times and ways in which Kill la Kill crosses that line into fanservice territory (a couple of camera angles in the transformation sequence, for example, are a bit on the unnecessary side, as well as a couple of scenes that occur pretty deep into the series, which I assure you you will know as soon as you see them). But I'd argue that most of KLK's sexuality is NOT of the fanservice-y nature (or at least not completely). And I'd also say the character who is most frequently cast with a fanservice-y gaze, particularly relative to the amount of time they're on screen, is male.

I mostly agree with this as a way to cover all portions of "fanservice" in media. I will say that a lot of what happens in KLK is both fanservice and jabs at fanservice at the same time, in both the sexual and non-sexual realms. I won't go into specifics, but I think several characters and outfits hit both sides at the same time, depending on your personal perspective and how events in the show play out.

My only argument is I feel how characters, especially female characters, dress can portray a level of sexual fanservice at its base only because they are titillating to some viewers. Does Faye need to dress the way she does in most scenes of the show? Ehh...maybe that's the style in the future or just what she likes, but there is a bit of sexuality on stage in that outfit itself. In a lot of these cases, I throw it back to maybe what young adults would find as an extra draw to the show, which scenes like Faye in a bikini being more fanservice-y over her normal outfit.

Seda

Toonami |Feb15| The titillating debutt of Kill La Kill

I kinda like this one. The debutt pun is too stupid to not use.

----

re: the discussion. Meta is right that fanservice is defined by how it is 'something extra', which is largely my issue with it in how it feels unnecessary most of the time. The shallowness element is also a factor too. Like, an in-your-face panty shot is more obnoxious than Faye chilling trying to tan.

For example, in Space Dandy's "Rock 'n' Roll Dandy, Baby", we see Honey in suggestive poses on the table, with 'well chosen' camera angles and everything. I'd argue it's not a pointless scene though - the show plays on it as Dandy and Johnny are so totally into their obsession with their band name or look or style that they are totally oblivious to her. It's this juxtaposition of having this in-your-face titillation with oblivion from the main characters for comedic effect.

This might be a little silly, but going back to Faye tanning on the Bebop, I think it is a small depiction of a character trait too. Her looks are important to her in how she presents herself to manipulate people for information on bounties or whatever (which, yes, is shallow, but she uses that to her advantage). Whereas a butt shot is just a butt shot.

Raxus

For example, in Space Dandy's "Rock 'n' Roll Dandy, Baby", we see Honey in suggestive poses on the table, with 'well chosen' camera angles and everything. I'd argue it's not a pointless scene though - the show plays on it as Dandy and Johnny are so totally into their obsession with their band name or look or style that they are totally oblivious to her. It's this juxtaposition of having this in-your-face titillation with oblivion from the main characters for comedic effect.

This might be a little silly, but going back to Faye tanning on the Bebop, I think it is a small depiction of a character trait too. Her looks are important to her in how she manipulates people for information on bounties or whatever. Whereas a butt shot is just a butt shot.

Going back to the dandy episode it is an episode where sexualization was permeated throughout the episode. Honey was drawn a bit more sexy and Dandy and Johnny well...

dandy-o.gif

yeah...

Considering the theme of the episode is Rock and Roll it makes sense sex is placed at the forefront. Sex, drugs and rock and roll (minus the drugs) after all.

ckohler

I wonder when we'll get a full schedule for February 7. I'm curious to see how the other shows are getting shuffled.

Also, will they show the full opening for Kill la Kill? It's an Aniplex show so I'm not sure if the would edit it or not.

Levyne

Banned
I wonder when we'll get a full schedule for February 7. I'm curious to see how the other shows are getting shuffled.

Also, will they show the full opening for Kill la Kill? It's an Aniplex show so I'm not sure if the would edit it or not.

It will probably get shortened at least the first weekend regardless, seems to be a trend.

ckohler

It will probably get shortened at least the first weekend regardless, seems to be a trend.

Well, the first episode only has a title card. However, after the AoT fiasco, didn't DeMarco say that the first show on the block would always have a full-length opening?

Levyne

Banned
Well, the first episode only has a title card. However, after the AoT fiasco, didn't DeMarco say that the first show on the block would always have a full-length opening?

I think he said it long before then, which is why so many people got upset at the AoT thing week 1.

Seda

most schedules only go out two weeks, but we should be able to see the Feb 7 schedule soon.

DeMarco said the the first show will always get the full opening. That was back when Bleach opened at midnight.

Space Dandy took a few weeks to get Namida.

(Bleach still gets its full openings when rerunning but Dandy doesnt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Attack on Titan played the shortened OP for its first week. Maybe Kill La Kill will have it from the get to.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Speaking of sharks, Gyo for Toonami. I need to watch that movie one of these days, despite hearing it's nowhere near as good as the original manga.

Regiruler

Going back to the dandy episode it is an episode where sexualization was permeated throughout the episode. Honey was drawn a bit more sexy and Dandy and Johnny well...

dandy-o.gif

yeah...

Considering the theme of the episode is Rock and Roll it makes sense sex is placed at the forefront. Sex, drugs and rock and roll (minus the drugs) after all.

Dandy himself is the drug.
Plant people, never forget.

That is one fake ass shark.

What is up Bishop, are you...jumping the shark with your posts lately?

tumblr_lsnsz7yJ7T1qc17wio1_500.gif

You don't have even an ounce of King Kai's comedic talent, Rax. :p

ATTACK ON TITAN 11:30 PM 961 0.4
DRAGON BALL Z KAI 12:00 AM 850 0.4
NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN 12:30 AM 774 0.4
INUYASHA: THE FINAL ACT 1:00 AM 784 0.4

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/01/21/saturday-cable-ratings-whitney-wins-night-college-basketball-cops-boxing-more/352797/

Weekly reminder that Toonami is Dead.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm frankly surprised Toonami is still happening, let alone doing as well as it is, considering it seems like CN gives it a budget roughly equivalent to a warmed-over 99 cent chicken sandwich.

Grexeno

I'm frankly surprised Toonami is still happening, let alone doing as well as it is, considering it seems like CN gives it a budget roughly equivalent to a warmed-over 99 cent chicken sandwich.
Cartoon Network doesn't have anything to do with Toonami though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom