• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan15| Sold Our Car for Gas Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
Every female character in Parasyte manages to be the dumbest person of all time.

That's reasonable, though I blame half of that on the source and the other on the age of said source. It's been one of the more interesting shows from last year and it's done a good job of holding my interest.

Grexeno

Parasyte adds cell phones to the story, since the original manga was written in the 80's. This is the only time the addition of cellphones has made a story make less sense.

Crocodile

Other than the below, what else has detracted from the show?

A) Direction. It was mentioned that the director for the TV adaptation is a relative newcomer and it shows. Plenty of scenes or moments that are clearly supposed to be tense, frightening, creepy, etc. just aren't due to how they are shot or paced. Scene transitions are also frequently awkward.

B) Music. I think I like the OST and its use more so than most of AnimeGaf but even still there is no denying that there are many times when the music choice is off or used improperly creating awkward contrasts with what is happening on scene. I know an example in Episode 15 pissed a lot of people off and I was actually kind of fine with that particular incident but the show has had multiple moments like that and not all of them were fine to me.

C) Choreography, Animation and Art Direction. There are some strong moments (Episode 1 stands out to my recollection) and they do great work with Migi from time to time but often it looks cheap and weak. I don't want to throw too much shade on the animators because I don't know what conditions they are working under but:

tumblr_ne7w406pt41qcsnnso1_500.gif

The first part of that gif is good but the last, looping part isn't a good look :/ Most of the fight scenes look weak as hell due to that.

D) Characters. Most of the characters who aren't Shinichi or Migi are dumb and the women in the show are EXTRA dumb. Like brain damaged dumb. As in they get themselves or others killed on a regular basis. Characters like Murano and Kana are barely characters but mostly puppies that follow Shinichi around or people "he has to protect". They are dull as dishwater and basically satellites for Shinichi. A show/movie passing the Bechedel test doesn't really mean anything but when it NEVER does (combined with the general stupidity of most of the cast)? That's not a good look.

E) Repetition. Following a MAJOR EVENT in the show, Shinchi returns to school after a leave of absence. Murano notices that he has changed and inquires to him and herself "Are you really Shinichi?". Fair question if a bit awkward and annoying in how its phrased. The next episode:

Murano: "Are you really Shinichi?"

The episode after that?

The episode after that?

This plot point (and some related ones) is basically hammered upon for like 5 episodes straight when it at most needed one or two. It might be an artifact of the manga but damn if it isn't annoying to watch.

Overall, the production is kind of middling and several writing issues (perhaps artifacts of the original manga written 20+ years ago) piss me off. Not saying the show is bad but it doesn't even hold a candle to something like Space Dandy even if the premise in Parayte is inherently interesting. With all that time they wasted on that "Are you really Shinichi?" nonsense I'm really curious how they intend to wrap up the story in a satisfying fashion with like 9 episodes left. It feels like there are a ton of unanswered questions and a lot of time has been wasted in the show so far.

daveo42

Banned

Thanks.

A good chunk of the issues I would probably fault the source for, especially how some of the characters are written. I've probably just glossed over most of the production and some story issues either because I either don't notice or the premise itself still has me hooked. Another thing about some of the animations, I almost always expect that kind of a dip in quality with any anime currently airing.

I think it may still stay in my top 10, but it might slide down a bit.

Now that Shinichi is on the run I'm hoping for less Murano arguing whether or not Shinichi is really himself and more Cronenberg fight scenes.

Jarate

Banned
If Ping Pomg doesnt win AOTYimma choke ssomeone

Id vote, but most of the shows bored me heavily this year

Space Dandy and Ping Pong were the only 2 shows that were excellent and deserving

I pre-ordered Rainbow Curse and now I feel dirty. First time I've done this since 2012 but I'm terrified Nintendo will run out of stock..

Also made it to episode 9 of DRRR; hoping to put a dent in it Saturday evening before toonami.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yo, did they seriously put a Cowboy Bebop track in the Dead Rising movie trailer? lmao
THANK YOU, I was wondering how I wad the only one who thought this, lol. Time for a ballad of fallen angels...

... most music boxes sound similar (like the one from NOIR), but I've not heard that melody anywhere else...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What the heck? I think it was Chrome, but the 90% zoom that I've been using for a long time now looks much too small, while 100% still looks rather big. & of course, I can't do 95% zoom. Or rather, the text is too small now.

Adjusted the Minimum Text Size & it looks close to normal for posts, but the usernames & tags are now bigger than usual.

Edit: Awesome, figured it out. It was that DirectWrite flag being enabled again.

Levyne

Banned
random but I am bored at work

viz tweeted out this Blue Exorcist cover, but I don't recognize any of it

B8DdA5FCMAEMEUK.jpg

where are good guy satan's kids

Levyne

Banned
Yeah I realized that it's way past the anime, but I just figured papen and/or ichigo would still be on the cover or something

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
SCHEDULE CHANGE ALERT

1/24
11:30 – DBZ Kai
12:00 – Naruto: Shippuden
12:30 – Inuyasha the Final Act
01:00 – One Piece
01:30 – Gurren Lagann
02:00 – Deadman Wonderland
02:30 – Bleach
03:00 – Space Dandy
03:30 – Cowboy Bebop
04:00 – Ghost in the Shell
04:30 – IGPX
05:00 – Samurai Jack

1/31
11:30 – DBZ Kai
12:00 – Naruto: Shippuden
12:30 – Inuyasha the Final Act
01:00 – One Piece
01:30 – Gurren Lagann
02:00 – Deadman Wonderland
02:30 – Attack on Titan
03:00 – Bleach
03:30 – Space Dandy
04:00 – Cowboy Bebop
04:30 – Ghost in the Shell

King of the Hill at 5 am.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yay, Toonami kicking off with DBZ Kai instead. I'm content. Though crap, Space Dandy at 3:30 now & I gotta wait an hour after Deadman Wonderland. Of course this happens close to the 2nd season FINALLY re-airing.

Though I wonder why they got rid of 5 to 6.

bigkrev

Yay, Toonami kicking off with DBZ Kai instead. I'm content. Though crap, Space Dandy at 3:30 now & I gotta wait an hour after Deadman Wonderland. Of course this happens close to the 2nd season FINALLY re-airing.

Though I wonder why they got rid of 5 to 6.

Slowly take an hour away every now and then, and people wont complain. By 2016, Toonami will not exist anymore.

Grexeno

They say "for the foreseeable future" but I wonder if that means forever.

I actually don't think this is a huge loss, though. They clearly didn't have the stable of shows to make the back half not seem stale.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Actually, I wonder how the schedule will look when Kill la Kill premieres. Did they confirm Bleach was leaving?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not sure if he'll answer, but I asked DeMarco on ask.fm about the 2/7 schedule & what show will be leaving.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
(@.@) Losing Toonami time? That's gonna feel weird. Should... should King of the Hill be part of the DUMP?! LoL. I'm OK with a few less pics, and a Toonami thats truly all anime is never a bad thing. I just hope this isn't a bad sign for the block.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hopefully, they figured despite being cheap, they've reaired them a decent amount of times & it'd help their budget to give those shows a break for the time being. Heck, maybe that & movie month mainly being repeats is how they got the funds to get the rights for Kill la Kill.

Now I wonder if that'll re-air after finishing up due to being at 11:30.

They better expand to 11 or I'm guessing toonami is in trouble. Well, at least the back half. Wouldn't be surprised to see it eventually go back to 12 - 3

Grexeno

Hopefully, they figured despite being cheap, they've reaired them a decent amount of times & it'd help their budget to give those shows a break for the time being. Heck, maybe that & movie month mainly being repeats is how they got the funds to get the rights for Kill la Kill.

Now I wonder if that'll re-air after finishing up due to being at 11:30.
I imagine anything big enough to air at 11:30 is also expensive enough to make a re-run attractive/necessary.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I imagine anything big enough to air at 11:30 is also expensive enough to make a re-run attractive/necessary.
Yeah, if it happened with Space Dandy & Attack on Titan, it seems possible it'll happen with Kill la Kill. That's really the last Aniplex that isn't SAO2 that would fit the block.

Seda

I dont think losing the 5am hour is a big deal. Jack was ending and IGPX is rerunning for the third time and Big O S2 got its due. What else were they going to throw in there?

Odds are this just has to do with rights for the shows they'd normally put there. It's at a point in the night where showing anything that costs money makes no sense.
Maybe I'm being paranoid and overreacting. I just love what we've got going and don't want to see it end again.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
They better expand to 11 or I'm guessing toonami is in trouble. Well, at least the back half. Wouldn't be surprised to see it eventually go back to 12 - 3

The 5 am hour was cut due to ratings being below expectations, and the block as a whole hasn't really been lighting it up lately. The block is more likely to shrink further than it is to expand earlier.

That said, Adult Swim Action went through these kinds of zany fluctuations where they would experiment with the usual AS comedy stuff reclaiming parts of the block all the time. I should pull up some of those lineups from around 2007-08 or so when I get home later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom