• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan15| Sold Our Car for Gas Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe I'm being paranoid and overreacting. I just love what we've got going and don't want to see it end again.
I totally agree and understand your feelings, especially when we have a great community. However, after the initial reaction, I think there's a more logical explanation behind it, such as the ones given about saving money or how they don't have anything else to put there for the time being.

Maybe when Kill la Kill finishes & possibly re-airs, they'll get those spots back again, but for the time being, they probably don't need them as bad & would save the money.

the fact that they're cutting 5am for King of the Hill at least means they're not expecting huge things there. maybe it's more of a precautionary thing and they're planning to take some off the top as well if things don't pick up, but right now it could mean the back end not carrying much weight was a large factor in this.

though it's a little hard to look at it that way with AoT getting kicked back so far.

i guess DBZ is going to be a test case. if it leading the block doesn't lead to an increase (and i hope they give them a decent amount of time to establish whether it does or not), i imagine we'll be cut to 12 or 12:30.

on the bright side, the fight against Nappa starts in 2 weeks

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
[citation needed]
DeMarco's ask.fm said:
I hope losing the 5AM hour had nothing to do with the block's performance. Will the crew be able to answer any questions about it during Sunday's Q&A?‎

It's definitely to due with ratings expectations. Not sure what else we would need to say, or be able to say about it.
Citation granted.

daveo42

Banned
SCHEDULE CHANGE ALERT

1/24
11:30 – DBZ Kai
12:00 – Naruto: Shippuden
12:30 – Inuyasha the Final Act
01:00 – One Piece
01:30 – Gurren Lagann
02:00 – Deadman Wonderland
02:30 – Bleach
03:00 – Space Dandy
03:30 – Cowboy Bebop
04:00 – Ghost in the Shell
04:30 – IGPX
05:00 – Samurai Jack

1/31
11:30 – DBZ Kai
12:00 – Naruto: Shippuden
12:30 – Inuyasha the Final Act
01:00 – One Piece
01:30 – Gurren Lagann
02:00 – Deadman Wonderland
02:30 – Attack on Titan
03:00 – Bleach
03:30 – Space Dandy
04:00 – Cowboy Bebop
04:30 – Ghost in the Shell

King of the Hill at 5 am.

Woah...that's some news right there. Not sure I like seeing it go in that direction, even if I was never really awake to see any of the shows at 5am.

Citation granted.

BykShL8IEAEJKcS.jpg:large

Levyne

Banned
Going from 3 hours to 6 and then 6 and a half might have just been way overextending considering the budget and the audience. Dialing back may be humbling but also necessary. He does say "we aren't going anywhere".

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Citation granted.

Short of putting OG Inuyasha there, nothing is going to pull amazing numbers at that timeslot. They probably just figure if it's going to be infinite reruns they may as well put something there that can run for a long time without repeating as that might help ratings. I guarantee that if they still had the rights for OG Inuyasha it would still be in that slot.

Going from 3 hours to 6 and then 6 and a half might have just been way overextending considering the budget and the audience. Dialing back may be humbling but also necessary. He does say "we aren't going anywhere".

Pretty much, they don't have many shows with an infinite number of reruns for that spot and that's probably what's driving it. They probably figure a longer running show will be better there since it will take longer for it to go through it's run and people won't get bored with it as fast. If they had an anime that fit the bill they'd use that, but they likely don't.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well like Seda said, 5 & 5:30 were for shows that have been reairing quite a few times. If we lost, say, 11:30 PM, then I'd start fearing since that's the lead-in and the "big show" timeslot.

Plus again, it'll help save them some money that can be used to get us some new shows.

Crocodile

Well FUCK :/

I like King of the Hill (mostly) but its not exactly hard to catch reruns of the show on the network if you really want to. This feels really concerning as once you start chipping away, it becomes easier and easier to slide into irrelevance. Toonami is pretty much the only home for shows of its ilk now and in the future on American TV. It NEEDS to stick around.

ckohler

Toonami is having a bad run. :(

Hopefully KLK can help build excitement and more viewers. Loosing the 5:00 a.m. hour doesn't bother me personally since it's been just reruns for a while. I'd be more concerned if they start taking back the earlier hours in the block and relinquishing Toonami to some meager 1:00-3:00 a.m. time slot. :p

With the bench of shows that could have been rotated in cut to almost nothing with the recent write-offs of Sym-bionic Titan and BtB and the like, I think I'd rather lose hours on the back end.

Could help the budget stretch that little bit more, though I don't know how much those back-end shows could have cost.

Short of putting OG Inuyasha there, nothing is going to pull amazing numbers at that timeslot. They probably just figure if it's going to be infinite reruns they may as well put something there that can run for a long time without repeating as that might help ratings. I guarantee that if they still had the rights for OG Inuyasha it would still be in that
Clone wars did well. Other than that and Inuyasha though the back has been sparse

Just looking over Toonami GAF and how few people were staying up though IGPX and Samurai Jack removing the 5PM hour really isn't that big a loss. Yeah it sucks to see the block shrink, but when we were basically at a point of only airing the same handful of short shows over and over for the last two hours something had to give. You're not going to spend Toonami budget money on the 4-6 hours when they could/should go towards the 11:30/12-3 hours for big premiers like AoT and KLK. I wouldn't really start panicking about Toonami's health and well being unless they start cutting premier slots for things like Family Guy/KotH reruns. I'd say as long as 11:30 ~ 3 remains and continues to largely be premiers or reruns of recent stuff like AoT, Bleach, or Space Dandy we're doing okay. Levyne said it best they probably over expanded the block.

Gorillaz

Im wondering if this is more of a trade off extra budget and wiggle room for newer shows in exchange for an hour of the block. Or could be them trying to get a better all average in terms of ratings.

Im wondering if this is more of a trade off extra budget and wiggle room for newer shows in exchange for an hour of the block. Or could be them trying to get a better all average in terms of ratings.

well, the shows they cut were all free so probably not. it might give them a little more time since they don't have to work on making bumps for an hour of shows, but i imagine that's probably not a ton of time.

Gorillaz

Oh....

Well if we start to lose time at the front of the block then its a problem. If that hour is basically free and hust throw a ways then its whatever

Man God

Non-Canon Member
OG Inuyasha+Clone Wars was probably the best they could do and with both of those no longer available, well.

We're now completely anime, by the way, for I believe the first time in the reboot era. Some people did not like considering IGPX as one (it is, it even aired first in Japan)

Well yea, I think short of airing an hour of Bleach from the very beginning there's nothing they have the rights for that would bring in numbers for that hour

Yep, and they've made it sound like they're unsure how much longer they'll be able to air Bleach before they have to either renew the rights or drop it so better to air on the side of caution.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Honestly though, if it's a choice between this era of Bleach (which may I remind you I've actually never seen or read about) or anything else? I take anything else. I just hope it goes long enough for Gin to show up and I wouldn't mind seeing Aizenfly one last time.

LOLDSFAN

I'm fine with it.

Honestly the fact that the back 6 has been relegated to re-run loop for quite some time now, it doesn't matter to me if Toonami loses the slots or not.

Jarate

Banned
So when they run down the block now will Sara be announcing King of The Hill?

Can we showcase King of the Hill as an action show? That'd be amazing.

I could imagine the montage of all these epic anime scenes with this chill ass beat in the background, and then all of a sudden you just hear "GODDANGIT BOBBY"

Jarate

Banned
Also, this is a daily reminder that everyone who has not watched Ping Pong should now watch Ping Pong

It is by far the most memorable anime of last year and also will be the one that people will talk about for a while

Ping Pong is lyf3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom