• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.
The empire having any bit of grey would ruin the package though. AGK is all about everything being generically over the top. Comically evil villains, Good guys with tragic pasts, Big weapons, big breasts, big scenes played for comedy. Micheal Bay anime.

But grey is what they're going for. They bang the "We're fighting for a good cause but we're still MURDERERS!" drum real loud for Night Raid, they emphasize the friendship between the Jaegers, and they play the same sad music when the Jaegers die as when Night Raid members die. You don't do all that if you're trying to remain completely black and white.

Grexeno

But grey is what they're going for. They bang the "We're fighting for a good cause but we're still MURDERERS!" drum real loud for Night Raid, they emphasize the friendship between the Jaegers, and they play the same sad music when the Jaegers die as when Night Raid members die. You don't do all that if you're trying to remain completely black and white.
Well, they're certainly trying.

But also failing.

I don't think KLK's post credit scene last night was in the original broadcast, because I remember feeling slightly lost when it jumps into the raid trip next episode. Unless I'm confusing it with another one.

Also, does anyone know why Dark Horse's release of Hellsing 9 is so expensive? Is it out of print? Which would be weird as the last eight volumes are still available on Amazon.

Well, they're certainly trying.

But also failing.

Well yeah, it's all horrible and unsuccessful, but it is what they are attempting to achieve for some reason, even though they still throw in Obviously Evil Things in now and again. Like, they threw Chelsea's head on a spike about ten minutes after they were showing us Bols's family.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Night Raid is yet to kill ANYONE who didn't have it coming. I mean really had it coming. Rapists, murderers, cannibals. They're not really trying to muddy the water at all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't think KLK's post credit scene last night was in the original broadcast, because I remember feeling slightly lost when it jumps into the raid trip next episode. Unless I'm confusing it with another one.

Also, does anyone know why Dark Horse's release of Hellsing 9 is so expensive? Is it out of print? Which would be weird as the last eight volumes are still available on Amazon.

No, they showed this post credit sequence last time. It's the other one they skipped.

I think maybe volume 9 didn't get as many copies printed IIRC. It would also fall under the pattern of the 2nd last volume being the hardest to find.

Night Raid is yet to kill ANYONE who didn't have it coming. I mean really had it coming. Rapists, murderers, cannibals. They're not really trying to muddy the water at all.

That's the reason it's a failure, not proof that they're not trying. The show has outright told us numerous times that they're not good people, that they're cold-blooded killers who are not to be admired. I don't know what more you want here if you're not going to accept the show telling it to you.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think the closest it came, at least in the manga, was when they killed someone but then OH NOES their child came out & saw them standing there after they murdered their parents, so Tatsumi felt bad that he just made a kid an orphan & maybe the people were still good parents or something.

Grexeno

I think the closest it came, at least in the manga, was when they killed someone but then OH NOES their child came out & saw them standing there after they murdered their parents, so Tatsumi felt bad that he just made a kid an orphan & maybe the people were still good parents or something.
I'm fairly positive the guy still had it coming though, and a lot of people where probably a whole lot better off because he was dead.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm confused. Am I using that phrase wrong? I thought a black and white character is one that is utterly 2 dimensional. Like Freiza. He's evil. There's nothing else about him. Isn't he a black and white character? A character who is both good and evil isn't black and white, right? Aren't they more "shades of grey"?

I agree the show TRIES to do this. It's just so hammy at it, that it comes off as a failure.

Basically, Night Raid does stuff most series would consider "evil". So, to make them still appear as good guys, they make the enemies CRAZY OVERDONE EVIL.

At the last moment, they try to show something that says "Wait, the person you thought was evil... WAS ALSO A HUMAN!! OMG!", and this probably works very well for people who haven't seen much works, or who are too dense to enjoy a finely built revelation. But for anyone who has seen it all before, knows this kind of build up, and recognizes how poorly done it is, it just comes off as forced and poorly constructed.

And they wave the Death Flags so loudly, at full mass, with spotlights upon them, with trumpets blazing. In much the same way I appreciate Bols having more depth than the general bad guy, I like that we got to see Kana actually KILL and be productive more than once, before she died. And I also like that her sacrifice seems to STICK with the plot, rather than being forgotten. The other deaths do leave SOMETHNG behind, (Mine's rage VS JUSTICE most recently), but I like how they established Chelsea's ability to escape a few times, before killing her off in a situation that even we COULD have thought was safe (if we didn't generally know better.)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm fairly positive the guy still had it coming though, and a lot of people where probably a whole lot better off because he was dead.
That's quite possible, & I haven't really read much of the manga, so someone who has will have to fill in the details.

Also, as I recall, we should be in Gecko Ending mode as of next week, right?

It actually annoyed me more when Clone Wars pulled that bullshit

That episode literally called Heroes on Both Sides?

Yeah, that episode wasn't very well thought out.

Also it had a weird moment where Grievous literally talks to droids designed to blow up.

Grievous-"You have been designed for this mission. To be the ultimate infiltration units! Some of you may not return. Actually none of you will return...but don't let that get in your way! Is that clear?"

It's a really weird scene.

artworks-000143300326-sj7d95-t500x500.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/couchpotatosaga/ep9

Okay, so me and Chugg from the Toonami Show Rundown also do a movie podcast called Couch Potato Saga in the Morning. We talk about news that mostly sticks to movies but tends to veer into TV, music, games, and fast food more often than not, and we review a movie at the end (though we did do Jessica Jones for two weeks). We do both new and old movies; last week we did The Hateful Eight and then two weeks before that we did Star Wars, for example, but we've also reviewed Blade, Attack the Block, Beasts of No Nation, and The Ridiculous 6.

The reason I bring it up this week is that we've started a segment where we're gonna review and rank all the dubbed DBZ movies and specials. We were originally gonna do this in December but we decided that was weird since Team Four Star did...exactly that. So, we waited till January and here we are.

We have reviews of The Dead Zone and The World's Strongest for 10-15 minutes each. We plan to do this every week, though maybe not two every week since time will not always permit it (we're only gonna do Tree of Might this week). We also reviewed Hellboy!

There are timestamps in the description if you wanna skip to those instead of listening to the whole hour-long podcast as well as a download link. We're also on iTunes if you wanna subscribe or whatever. I actually put a pretty decent amount of work into this stuff so some feedback would be nice if you guys are willing.

So far the ranking looks like this:

1. The World's Strongest
2. The Dead Zone

ckohler

I agree the show TRIES to do this. It's just so hammy at it, that it comes off as a failure.

That's true. Also, it's worth noting that shows can sometimes have a very flat, one dimensional characters that work well (like Frieza).

I actually put a pretty decent amount of work into this stuff so some feedback would be nice if you guys are willing.

I'm not really up on DBZ movies but I might listen.

How do you guys find such specific moments in ToonamiGAF history?

It's not hard. Each OP has links to all of the past threads. Just try a few until you find the one most likely to contain that episode and then just skip around until you find one of MetatronM's episode lists pop up. Then you'll know how close you are.

Okay, so me and Chugg from the Toonami Show Rundown also do a movie podcast called Couch Potato Saga in the Morning. We talk about news that mostly sticks to movies but tends to veer into TV, music, games, and fast food more often than not, and we review a movie at the end (though we did do Jessica Jones for two weeks). We do both new and old movies; last week we did The Hateful Eight and then two weeks before that we did Star Wars, for example, but we've also reviewed Blade, Attack the Block, Beasts of No Nation, and The Ridiculous 6.

The reason I bring it up this week is that we've started a segment where we're gonna review and rank all the dubbed DBZ movies and specials. We were originally gonna do this in December but we decided that was weird since Team Four Star did...exactly that. So, we waited till January and here we are.

We have reviews of The Dead Zone and The World's Strongest for 10-15 minutes each. We plan to do this every week, though maybe not two every week since time will not always permit it (we're only gonna do Tree of Might this week). We also reviewed Hellboy!

There are timestamps in the description if you wanna skip to those instead of listening to the whole hour-long podcast as well as a download link. We're also on iTunes if you wanna subscribe or whatever. I actually put a pretty decent amount of work into this stuff so some feedback would be nice if you guys are willing.

1. The World's Strongest
2. The Dead Zone

So someone else is watching the Dragon Ball Z films from start to finish. Will you be covering the specials and OVA's as well?

Edit: Oh, I saw your specifications just now. So not stuff like Episode of Bardock or Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans then?

I'm not really up on DBZ movies but I might listen.

Maybe hooray!

So someone else is watching the Dragon Ball Z films from start to finish. Will you be covering the specials and OVA's as well?

Edit: Oh, I saw your specifications just now. So not stuff like Episode of Bardock or Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans then?

Yeah, we're not doing those or the Dragon Ball movies. Maaaaaaaybe at a later date or something, but right now we just wanted to stick to DBZ movies, Bardock, and History of Trunks.

Mizerman

1. The World's Strongest
2. The Dead Zone

Sure, I'll take a listen to it.

Raxus

I wonder what the final straw was.

Probably the string of failures from recent adaptations. I dunno how World Trigger is fairing (ratings wise) but Toriko failed miserably and Naruto is stretching for time only to find out the next saga is a monthly release.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Probably the string of failures from recent adaptations. I dunno how World Trigger is fairing (ratings wise) but Toriko failed miserably and Naruto is stretching for time only to find out the next saga is a monthly release.

I think the answer lies in the fact that BONES is animating MHA and it is not known for endless shonen work.

1. The World's Strongest
2. The Dead Zone

Well, the rule is with the DBZ movies the later in time the movies were dubbed the better the dubbing tends to be.

I do know some of the best DBZ movies like the Trunks, and Bardock specials were dubbed pretty badly with a lot of added dialogue and changed lines and motivations that it practically begs for a new redub with the current cast.

BBboy20

Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

Sadomasochists.
Or those who have very limited tastes.

There is another bomb in my-
understoodreference

Also, I like Kana more than Murino. At least she has some common sense.
Swing and a miss.

BOSS!

(It's like I'm playing MGSV all over again.)
Some PC modder probably made a video out of such spamming.

The empire having any bit of grey would ruin the package though. AGK is all about everything being generically over the top. Comically evil villains, Good guys with tragic pasts, Big weapons, big breasts, big scenes played for comedy. Micheal Bay anime.
This explains everything now.

It's not anything different though. If you don't break the law she's gonna love and protect you. That's why she's so mad about Tatsumaki being with Night Raid, he was a good citizen corrupted by evil lawless assassins!
They never resolved this. Holy shit.

and this probably works very well for people who haven't seen much works, or who are too dense to enjoy a finely built revelation. But for anyone who has seen it all before, knows this kind of build up, and recognizes how poorly done it is, it just comes off as forced and poorly constructed.
My friend told me that I didn't have a life which would lead me to knowing these story mechanics. It helps that he admits that he isn't much of a movie goer which probably means he has gotten more stories out of video games and romance/shooting animes then out of anything else (though I'm sure he has seen way more anime then I have so go figure). Doesn't help he has a right-wing self-righteous background and has a persecution complex thus him able to "relate" to all this edginess.

That doesn't make any sense, but I guess Hellsing wasn't a big seller towards the end.

Yeah I don't get it either. For what it's worth, I managed to get a new copy of volume 9 for 3 bucks purely by being at the right place at the right time. It I can get it for that price, you should be able to find it for retail price if you do a little bit of looking.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Age of Ultron plot: Genius billionaire creates robot AI that instantly hates humans, goes into the internet, creates thousands of robot bodies, and plans to destroy the world by lifting a giant land mass into space and dropping it down on the planet.

SAO plots: Stupidly skilled game player plays various MMOs. One where he's trapped for two years, one where he has to rescue his girlfriend, and one where he has to find someone that's killing people in real life through the game.

Oh yeah, I could totally see that turning into Age of Ultron.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
omg what if it turns out by trying to bring Yui to the real world, she decides she only needs one mommy & tries to kill Kirito's harem?

FWIW I know girls who like SAO more than I did.
After seeing the film: "Okay babe, let's role play. You be Asuna, & I'll be a gary stu."

So I'm at my tiny little apartment gym, and it's just me. Which is great, because I hate working out with a lot of people around. One or two, fine. I can handle that.
Four people come in. Followed by another two, and then two more. And I'm only guy in the gym. Save for one older gentlemen.

And despite what anime would lead one to believe, that is a terrifying situation.

Basically ran out of there when I was done.

Also let's be honest, we all have put on Kirito's bitching black swordsman outfit and tried to seduce some ladies at least once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom