• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Why make Usopp a clown?
Why make Robin southern?
Why give Chopper a deep voice when he's in his "Human" mode?
Why give the Fishmen weird echo effects?
Why call them Mermen when that's incorrect?
Why give Vivi the flattest voice ever
Why call him Trace not Ace? What's wrong with Ace?
Why make Bon Clay sound like Little Richard?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Why 4Kids?

Because Toei wanted One Piece on TV immediately.
They saw the success they had with Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, and Kinnikuman Nisei was doing well. When 4Kids ordered more of that, Toei lumped in One Piece with it. They never saw a single episode. When they started watching, they freaked out and went overboard with the edits and censorship.

Mizerman

Because Toei wanted One Piece on TV immediately.
They saw the success they had with Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, and Kinnikuman Nisei was doing well. When 4Kids ordered more of that, Toei lumped in One Piece with it. They never saw a single episode. When they started watching, they freaked out and went overboard with the edits and censorship.

Even when seeing it those years ago, I knew something was kinda...off.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Why make Usopp a clown?
Why make Robin southern?
Why give Chopper a deep voice when he's in his "Human" mode?
Why give the Fishmen weird echo effects?
Why call them Mermen when that's incorrect?
Why give Vivi the flattest voice ever
Why call him Trace not Ace? What's wrong with Ace?
Why make Bon Clay sound like Little Richard?

Usopp's voice is indefensible.
Robin's 4kids voice is great.
No idea.
Because they got water on the lungs?
Little Mermaid.
The show wasn't a priority for them so they used mostly their bad actors.
Ace is lame.
Little Richard Bon Clay...isn't that far off from his Japanese voice.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bon Clay & Franky are voiced by the same guy in the Japanese version, which I learned via the Pirate Warriors games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bon Clay & Franky are voiced by the same guy in the Japanese version, which I learned via the Pirate Warriors games.

It's a wonderful moment. Because of that though that particular VA is on more episodes than just about anyone else besides Luffy.

YO! ya-yo, ya-yo

Dreamin', don't give it up Puzzle
Dreamin', don't give it give it up give it up give it up give it up give it NO!

Here's how the story goes we find out
About a Treasure in the Grand Line
Theres no doubt, The pirate whose eye is on it
He'll sing I'll be King of the Pirates
I'm gonna be king

Ya-yo, ya-yo, ya-yo, ho-ho

His name is Puzzle
That's Monkey D. Puzzle
Gonna be king of the pirates!
He's made of Puzzles - (female singers) how did that happen?
Yo-ho-ho he took a bite of Puz Puz

Ya-yo, ya-yo

His name's Puzzle, He's just like a Rubix Cube
And a P-U-Z-l Puzzle's not shy
The pirate crew coming through, doin' their thing,
With the king of the pirates, he's gonna be king!

Ya-yo, ya-yo, ya-yo, hoo-hoo

Set sail for One Piece, it's the name of the treasure in the Grand Line!

Ya-yo, ya-yo

Set sail for One Piece!

Still the best One Piece op.

Another fun fact. All the admirals like Aokiji are designed after their VA's in Japan.

Untrue. They are designed after famous Yakuza movie actors, which is why their designs look so different and sophisticated then other One Piece characters. Aokiji is Yusaku Matsuda, for example.

I saw that Marvel rebooting Thunderbolts thread, and was briefly reminded of the Thundercats reboot.

Do you remember the Thundercats reboot?
2537349-thundercats_2011.jpg

Do you remember how Lion-O was okay, but everyone else on the team was a huge asshole? Well maybe WilyKit was okay.

Remember when it was revealed that Tygra tried to brutally murder Lion-O as a kid, and then tried again as an adult?
And everyone is just okay with that? No one really even calls him out on it?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I tried watching it when it was on Toonami, but didn't make it very far. First episode or two was good, but then it just got really dull.

Raxus

Thanks sigma. I knew they were designed after something in real life but I clearly got my facts mixed up.

False prophet indeed. MetatronM is coming to take my One Piece fan card away.

The final episode was really bad.

Apparently Pumyra wasn't completely in control of her actions or something, but they don't convey to the viewer, so the betrayal makes no sense.

Also Slythe was apparently completely justified in hating the cats, because they basically killed his entire tribe for no reason. It was planned to have him decapitate Lynx-O, the guy who ordered it, if the series continued.

Raxus

The writing was a mess all around. Characters would change motivations on a dime between episodes, people NEVER learned lessons between episodes. It was clear they were going for a more arc based storyline but they completely shat the bed on it.

Damn shame too since the potential was there. Though I don't think it would have lasted if it was any good either.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
T-Cats is pound for pound the worst thing TOONAMI has aired.

Yes, it looks better than BtB and Tenchi Muyo. Better voice acting too. Yes, the pilot movie is pretty dope. The rest of the series? Sadness and disappointment. Character regression. That mid season episode...and oh god, the finale.

Tenchi Muyo GXP is a close second and Beware the Batman a distant third.

Crocodile

Despite the fact that it turned into a trainwreck, I would have liked to have seen "New" Thundercats completed with another season since its clear the show ended at the halfway point. It wasn't a good show ( a decent hatewatch to be frank unless my memory fails me) but at least it wasn't "offensive".

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Despite the fact that it turned into a trainwreck, I would have liked to have seen "New" Thundercats completed with another season since its clear the show ended at the halfway point. It wasn't a good show ( a decent hatewatch to be frank unless my memory fails me) but at least it wasn't "offensive".

It's most offensive trait is being so filled with promise and turning out so poorly. It's my biggest pet peeve in a time when I'm otherwise a glass half full type.

I always think it's a shame when a series doesn't get to finish, unless you know, it's horribly offensive. Maybe Thundercats would have improved if it continued. We'll never know.

Oh well.

Also guys. ERASED is pretty good.

It's pretty good.

Moaradin

Need to catch up on that. Saw the first episode and liked it a lot. SAO team can do pretty good when they don't have shitty material :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I always think it's a shame when a series doesn't get to finish, unless you know, it's horribly offensive. Maybe Thundercats would have improved if it continued. We'll never know.

Oh well.

Also guys. ERASED is pretty good.

It's pretty good.

I actually can't think of another show whose best episode is its pilot movie. That is one positive thing I can take away from it.

Line_HTX

Need to catch up on that. Saw the first episode and liked it a lot. SAO team can do pretty good when they don't have shitty material :p

A-1 Pictures superb quality
SAO director
Yuki Kajiura OST

I'd say Erased might be The Best show this season without a hack source!

You know I've realized that as I've gotten older, I'm less tolerant of little things that irk me in my entertainment.

Case in point, I started to play element4l. A platformer in which you alternate between four states to control your momentum. You don't really control the direction you're going much, the environment does. It may not sounds like it, but this makes for a very challenging platformer. You basically have to know which state to switch to, and do it at the exact right time. If you don't die when you screw up, you might get stuck in a position where you can't gain the necessary momentum to continue forward. In such cases, you basically have to suicide. I'm not averse to being challenged, but element4l feels like a game that doesn't give the player enough time and information to respond. I found myself clearing one gap only to find myself landing awkwardly, killing my momentum, and having no choice but to suicide. Or clearing a gap only to be immediately thrust onto another jump that I didn't have time to prepare for.

Those problems didn't actually bother me too much, because the game was still enjoyable. The game was pretty, and the soundtrack was great. It was a little thing that really made me stop. At the end of every level, you get graded. I assume it goes bronze, silver, gold, but I can't tell you for certain.

I only ever got bronze. Every time I reached the end of a stage, a bronze flag was awarded to remind me that I wasn't doing very well. I found myself getting sour whenever I finished a level. I was probably 60% of the way through the game before I just stopped.

In an age where I have so many other options where it comes to entertainment, that little irksome thing is enough to make me say fuck it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh snap, Casshern outfit confirmed for the Tatsunoko pack for Dead or Alive 5.

.......which just makes me wish for a Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom 2....

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks sigma. I knew they were designed after something in real life but I clearly got my facts mixed up.

False prophet indeed. MetatronM is coming to take my One Piece fan card away.

Emporio Ivankov, however, IS based off of his (original) VA (his personality moreso than his appearance, though). Who was then arrested for indecent exposure. Which makes a whole ton of sense.

You guys will dig him in 2018 or so. :)

Jarate

Banned
Emporio Ivankov, however, IS based off of his (original) VA (his personality moreso than his appearance, though). Who was then arrested for indecent exposure. Which makes a whole ton of sense.

You guys will dig him in 2018 or so. :)
Want he also based on
the main character from Rocky Horror Picture Show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom