• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 54 - Goku Vanishes Into Space! Welcome Home, Super Warriors!
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 55 - There Is Planet Earth, Father! Frieza and King Cold Strike Back!
12:30 - Akame ga Kill! - 21 - Kill the Despair
1:00 - Parasyte -the maxim- - 14 - The Selfish Gene
1:30 - Samurai Champloo - 5 - Artistic Anarchy
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 97 - The Labyrinth of Distorted Reflection
2:30 - One Piece - 331 - Hot Full Throttle! The Twin’s Magnetic Power Drawing Near!
3:00 - KILL la KILL - 14 - Ride Like the Wind

Later.

This episode ends with queen Satsuki, the way it's meant to be.

Can't wait for the Sketch. Perhaps a shish-kabob Lubbock and that awful scene from Parasyte will be showcased?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WVW69i0guMkGDfZiHp

LATER

Maybe now that the Akame ga Kill cast is less than half the size it was a few months ago, it could be more tolerable.

Then again, Mine and Tatsumi are still well and kicking.

Night yall.

Line_HTX

No need to panic.

Introduce an elite force? Oh, it's this Scuse me Bitch guy.

Okay, Wave.

Kurome fainted.

The waterways got bigger as the Capital got bigger.

Leone is jealous. WHATEVER, I'M NO GETTING FLUSTERED. OH HELL NO!

Wait a minute, wasn't Najenda just talking with Esdeath? First sign of filler, I see.

Lubbock, stop smooching.

The hideout got hijacked and bombed.

Syura is the BIATCH.

There's nothing in this world that bothers me more than being bored.

Proportions. Great General is a Gamagoori wannabe.

Line_HTX

All these warp holes everywhere. Even in midair.

This Budo seems like he wants to take Tatsumi under his wing.

You lose. YOUR HAND.

STAB.

I'd like to express my gratitude by you seeing my Trump Card.

Everybody wants to change the world, asshole.

Lubbock is falling and drowning. The strings have all run out.

Shish-kabob.

Both screaming.

Oh well, PSYCHE!

She overheared the conversation.

What kind of torture are we talking?

Seda

So Yamcha being brought back to life and brought back to Earth is a breach of the established rules for Dragon Ball, right?

I wasn't paying too much attention during DBZ, just wondering.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So Yamcha being brought back to life and brought back to Earth is a breach of the established rules for Dragon Ball, right?

I wasn't paying too much attention during DBZ, just wondering.

Porunga can do it in one go, you just have to be specific/maybe summon him on the same planet.

Krillin was wished back to life in the same spot he died in DB.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Secretly one of my favorite episodes of DBZ, and I don't know why. I think it's because the Goku swerve always got me. In the Kai version of the show he's only gone
this episode and next episode
but because of how it premiered back in the day they stretched the Garlic Junior arc out weekly in order to buy time for the dub, airing it on the Rising Sun Saturday block instead of TOONAMI proper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjQsYlW1kvY

So it really did feel like Goku was gone forever...because he was gone for months. I remember at this time a friend and I started buying the uncut DBZ VHS's which came out a few months earlier to get ahead of TOONAMI. 15 bucks a pop, 2-3 episodes. Came with a card from the TCG.

Next episode of Kai has the new ending...which Demarco has already promised won't be shown. Maybe they'll forget and show it. A much better dub ending, though since it has spoilers I won't link it.

Line_HTX

I thought the Garlic Jr. saga was a part of Weeday Toonami? I don't remember it on Saturday mornings.

At least it properly made it feel like Goku was still away for a long while, plus the saga was pretty cheesy in many ways too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I thought the Garlic Jr. saga was a part of Weeday Toonami? I don't remember it on Saturday mornings.

At least it properly made it feel like Goku was still away for a long while, plus the saga was pretty cheesy in many ways too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragon_Ball_Z_episodes_(season_4)

Oh, I completely forgot that they also took off winter 1999 to reair the Freiza saga on weekday TOONAMI and then most of the summer. So Goku was gone almost a year from TOONAMI! He came back right as school started up. After that DBZ goes basically straight through to the end of Cell Saga, takes another year off and comes back with Buu.

MikeMyers

The fight in the Garlic Jr saga dragged, but I liked
how it was the first time you really see Kami and Piccolo interact, and how it helped set up Gohan as hero without Goku/Vegeta
. I thought those parts worked well given what happens in the Cell arc.

Line_HTX

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragon_Ball_Z_episodes_(season_4)

Oh, I completely forgot that they also took off winter 1999 to reair the Freiza saga on weekday TOONAMI and then most of the summer. So Goku was gone almost a year from TOONAMI! He came back right as school started up. After that DBZ goes basically straight through to the end of Cell Saga, takes another year off and comes back with Buu.

That promo flashing "77 NEW EPISODES" though. It took forever to get through the entire Android and Cell saga before reruns. Made biking home from school much more rewarding though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
how it was the first time you really see Kami and Piccolo interact, and how it helped set up Gohan as hero without Goku/Vegeta

Yep, it's excellent foreshadowing. The fight takes so long. It's basically a sequel to The Dead Zone that takes three times as long to work itself out. If they cut the episodes into a movie it would be one of the better movies I'd reckon.

That promo flashing "77 NEW EPISODES" though. It took forever to get through the entire Android and Cell saga before reruns. Made biking home from school much more rewarding though.

I'd link it...but...but...spoilers! It was a mind blowing amount of episodes though, by far the most they ever aired at once, every weekday, for months. They basically went from September first until the new year.

MikeMyers

It was always weird when they referenced pre-Raditz stuff or the movies, because it'd felt like you missed an entire arc or something.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thank god for having Fuu encompassing most of the sketch in order to make us forget about the Sentai Power Hour.

Later ToonamiGAF.

Surely, lol. Woulda loved to squeeze a bit more in there, like Gambler Fuu and Something with the "Tell me EVERYTHING, AreYouTheRealSHINICHI?!" but time and stuff...

Love the Fuu colors and the shadows of her hair and Ishimatsu's dying smiling face. Good job on the eyes also.

Thanks! I've always loved contrast in pics, Champloo cast was great for it. It's also all intended to be a semi-fitting line too.

I thought about making something more full-bodied and involved, but then there'd be no room for the Sk'dump...

Let me sum up the OG DBZ Filler we're going to miss in between this episode and the next one.

Maron looks SO MUCH LIKE BULMA, I never liked her, ha. She just seemed awkward most of the time, always thought most of her animation looked off..

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It was always weird when they referenced pre-Raditz stuff or the movies, because it'd felt like you missed an entire arc or something.

Oh hey Icarus.

Oh hey...Red Ribbon Army.

Oh hey, Cyborg Tao...

I think that's about it.

But yes, I know that feeling well.

Maron looks SO MUCH LIKE BULMA, I never liked her, ha. She just seemed awkward most of the time, always thought most of her animation looked off..

It's a great gag in many ways.

Let's make a Bulma standin, only an airhead who shows waaay more skin than Bulma ever will in DBZ!

rANuEP0.gif

Let's have her date Krillin for no good reason.
Let's have her leave just as the show finally picks up by basically leaving Krillin at the alter.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's a great gag in many ways.

Let's make a Bulma standin, only an airhead who shows waaay more skin than Bulma ever will in DBZ!

rANuEP0.gif

Let's have her date Krillin for no good reason.
Let's have her leave just as the show finally picks up by basically leaving Krillin at the alter.

I like that it followed up on his last wishes on Namek... but Toriyama designs can produce some decent looking women! And she's just so... "that's all you could come up with?!" in comparison. I guess she makes Blue Mary Android 18 look like a better character in a way, and makes a possibly playful jab at how nearly all Goku's friends ultimately want Bulma in some way or another.

...Can I vote her for worse Toonami Character 2016 already? (^_^) Or drop her off at Ragyo's private onsen? ( ಠ益ಠ)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

What do you mean first time?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Morning everyone. Not really a good night for Toonami.

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
The "wish everyone back" episode. Well, everyone but Goku who reveals he's not only alive, but refuses to come home for "reasons". At least we're not getting Garlic Jr.

Akame ga Kill:
COSMOS OUT OF NOWHERE! I'm sorry, but that was just so stupid. We had this pseudo-medieval series with some schizo tech, but then out of nowhere they're in space.
I'm not sure if Syura's voice is the result of his actor, or abysmal direction. Adam Noble barely has any credits to his name so I can't find anything to possibly compare.
"Oh well"

Parasyte:
Grieving grieving grieving. Blah.

Samurai Champloo:
Pretty cool episode. More Yakuza insanity, and a high body count. Ending on an honorable Samurai death

Shippuden:
I am condom man! I can't believe I actually exist in Naruto of all shows!

One Piece:
I watched the episode on DVD since I fell asleep after Zzzppuden. That reminds me I still need to catch up on OP DVDs.
Even without Shippuden spreading sleep gas, it was just meh. A couple of good lines (new OT title and "My head's on fire!") but that's about it. Jobbing to filler fucks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom