• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Work in progress and concept sketches are always interesting, since alot of them are vastly different from the final result.

Looking at that Mugen sketch there's definite conflict of pieces there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've never liked how Mugen looks, especially in motion.

Fuu is also slightly older looking than what you'd expect, but the design is pretty cool.

TUSR

Banned
0z4fVRD.png

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Oh man, speaking of FINAL ACT, I've begun watching InuYasha again for the first time since I was 16.

...I'm 28 now. I only got to the thirtieth episode or so back in the day, but I'm gonna give it my all now and see all 193. Kinda bummed some of the cast had to change for FINAL ACT, but such is life.

Line_HTX

Oh man, speaking of FINAL ACT, I've begun watching InuYasha again for the first time since I was 16.

...I'm 28 now. I only got to the thirtieth episode or so back in the day, but I'm gonna give it my all now and see all 193. Kinda bummed some of the cast had to change for FINAL ACT, but such is life.

I will admit, if it weren't for both of my parents watching Inuyasha all throughout my middle and high school days when OG Adult Swim Action began, I wouldn't have wanted to finish at 167. They kind of got me to keep watching even though I kind of didn't want to.

It wasn't until The Band of Seven arc that I made the decision to want to finish it myself instead of watching it with them.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Nice.

I don't actually know hardly anything about 31 (or whatever) through to the end. Just that the show is ridiculed often for feeling derivative of itself and that opinions on it are wildly diverse. But I do hear "Band of Seven" tossed around a lot. I guess it's a good part?

Line_HTX

Up until that arc, it felt like the show wasn't going anywhere. There were a few fillers here and there, but nothing important or entertaining because the main villain vanished after almost getting killed.

Then there were these stupid modern day filler episodes on Sora and just when I thought that was the lowest point, after that was the start of The Band of Seven arc. I believe it was in the late 90s and lasted until at least past 120.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I've never liked how Mugen looks, especially in motion.

Fuu is also slightly older looking than what you'd expect, but the design is pretty cool.

Fuu actually looks 15 to me, as opposed to looking anime 15, which could alternatively look like real world 5 or 35.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Up until that arc, it felt like the show wasn't going anywhere. There were a few fillers here and there, but nothing important or entertaining because the main villain vanished after almost getting killed.

Then there were these stupid modern day filler episodes on Sora and just when I thought that was the lowest point, after that was the start of The Band of Seven arc. I believe it was in the late 90s and lasted until at least past 120.

Sounds rough. Well, I'll try enjoying it for what it is! I have a lot of nostalgia for the parts I saw (and "My Will" is probably my favorite anime ED ever) so I owe it to myself to see it through to the end, I guess.

Mizerman

Nice.

I don't actually know hardly anything about 31 (or whatever) through to the end. Just that the show is ridiculed often for feeling derivative of itself and that opinions on it are wildly diverse. But I do hear "Band of Seven" tossed around a lot. I guess it's a good part?

Oh yeah, the "Band of Seven" arc is pretty good. After that, it goes back to being slow paced with a bright spot every now and then.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds rough. Well, I'll try enjoying it for what it is! I have a lot of nostalgia for the parts I saw (and "My Will" is probably my favorite anime ED ever) so I owe it to myself to see it through to the end, I guess.

Band of Seven runs from episodes 103 to around 126. It's the only part of the entire series that feels like a more traditional prolonged shounen story arc. Pretty much the entire rest of the series feels like aimless meandering around the countryside, resulting in storylines and plot advancement happening seemingly at random.

Which, to be fair, is pretty much exactly what they're doing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Band of Seven runs from episodes 103 to around 126. It's the only part of the entire series that feels like a more traditional prolonged shounen story arc. Pretty much the entire rest of the series feels like aimless meandering around the countryside, resulting in storylines and plot advancement happening seemingly at random.

Which, to be fair, is pretty much exactly what they're doing.

Don't forget random Naraku trolling.

They really should have done more present day episodes, those were always aces.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Champloo production work is nice to see. Anime characters go through some crazy things in their 15s ~ early 20s. I wonder if impressions of the show would differ if we had to see a real 15 y.o. girl go through some of the things Fuu does. Would Mugen be able to come off as cool? Could Jin act as quiet and insightful, and get the same respect for these traits?

---

On the topic of Inuyasha, it's amazing how much elements of it's pacing don't bother me. Especially the stuff pre-Final Act. I'm quite happy with it as a "monster of the week" show with an overarching plot, and I never get the "WOULD SOMEONE JUST DO SOMETHING!?!" feel I get with Wun Peese or Nah'rue'tow.

Maybe it's because I don't feel as if Inu's character sandbag as much as those in O.P, and I feel like I know their limits better than those in Naruto. Miroku has a black hole in his hand, and they really made sure to always answer "why doesn't he just suck *evil* into the vacuum?!" pretty early in every conflict.

I think the One Piece Treasure Cruise mobile game does a better job at making me respect OP's story than watching it ever has, haha. Maybe because it's better paced? Or because it's filling in lots of under-appreciated / forgotten / glossed over details?

MikeMyers

Nice.

Personally, I felt the best episodes came after BO7. 127-128 and 135 are highlights.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I looked at the comments of the Froggy Song video that was linked.
Someone was crapping on the dub.
... Is this really any better in Japanese? This just seems like one of those things that's insufferable no matter the language.

I've always wonder why they didn't just break the jewel more in Inuyasha.

It's not like anyone on the team really seemed like they wanted to wish for anything after traveling for a while.

Why not just break it completely so Naraku couldn't do anything with it?

Line_HTX

I've always wonder why they didn't just break the jewel more in Inuyasha.

It's not like anyone on the team really seemed like they wanted to wish for anything after traveling for a while.

Why not just break it completely so Naraku couldn't do anything with it?

I'm guessing it was already shattered into a million pieces from Kagome's arrow in the beginning.

But really, I highly doubt that there was any way for any of them to dissolve it completely, even if they threw a piece into the lava or something, I dunno...

Crocodile

I looked at the comments of the Froggy Song video that was linked.
Someone was crapping on the dub.
... Is this really any better in Japanese? This just seems like one of those things that's insufferable no matter the language.

Stupid Baka Gajins can't hope to understand the glory of the Nippon Language! Nippon Ichi!

I'm guessing that's their rationale or something *shrug*

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Why didn't Miroku just suck a shard or two up with his Wind Tunnel, therefore making it so nobody evil could put it back together?

Line_HTX

I don't remember barely half the shit that happened in the 4 movies. I only remember that the first two were cheesy as shit and weren't good at all.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think one of them had it where Inuyasha got rid of the "sit" necklace but then Kagome put it back on him for the lulz.

I just remember not being a fan of Inuyasha at all when it aired on Bionix back when I was a kid and only watched it because it aired before Gundam SEED.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Actually, why didn't ANYONE just destroy a few of the jewel shards so it couldn't be put back together again? Inuyasha could've hacked it up, Kagome could've pierced it with her arrows.

Break it even more so Naraku couldn't put it together & make it all evil. "mwahahaha I have all the piec...crap, no, there's a few more" & then he never finds them.

Raxus

Actually, why didn't ANYONE just destroy a few of the jewel shards so it couldn't be put back together again? Inuyasha could've hacked it up, Kagome could've pierced it with her arrows.

Break it even more so Naraku couldn't put it together & make it all evil. "mwahahaha I have all the piec...crap, no, there's a few more" & then he never finds them.

Miroku could have sealed a piece in his wind tunnel at any time but it is one of those narrative conveniences you gotta overlook to enjoy Inuyasha.

Line_HTX

IIRC the shards could not be completely destroyed no matter what. I don't remember why though.

Oh man, I saw random episodes of SEED in Primetime Toonami when they continued airing YYH. I only know that one of the ED sounded pretty 90s awesome kind of song.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Miroku could have sealed a piece in his wind tunnel at any time but it is one of those narrative conveniences you gotta overlook to enjoy Inuyasha.
Yup, mentioned that on the previous page. Hell, Miroku is pretty much the most OP character in the series that the authorr probably didn't realize it at first, so she had to think of ways for him to NOT use it.

Mizerman

Yup, mentioned that on the previous page. Hell, Miroku is pretty much the most OP character in the series that the authorr probably didn't realize it at first, so she had to think of ways for him to NOT use it.

Pretty much. It got kinda annoying after awhile.

Raxus

Pretty much. It got kinda annoying after awhile.

Everything had Naraku's poisonous insects. The thing was since Wind Tunnel would ultimately consume Miroku all the author had to say was that Wind Tunnel had x number of uses and Miroku would have more reason to be hesitant to use it unless it was an emergency instead of writing such a stupid work around. Oh well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That honestly would've made more sense & had a bigger impact since that would mean it could only be used for very extreme cases, therefore it couldn't just be whipped out & result in everyone going "well why not use it all the time if there's no negative reason?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom