• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, I REALLY wish I got to see Jojo live with you guys.

I'm digging the reactions to what happened in last night's episode.

My guess is that DBS premieres stay at 8 and Jack S5 encores possibly replace the older Jack episodes at 8:30.

Toonami will then start at 11:00 with the DBS repeat, followed by new Jack, and then the rest of the line-up is unchanged.

What will be very interesting to see is what they do with 11:30 when Jack ends since it's going to be a shorter show. They could potentially use that slot to air a number of shorter shows (like ones mentioned in that Twitter poll from a while back). Slotting Jack and other future premieres between the two DB shows is also a good way to guarantee strong ratings for that slot.

Whoa we got a S tier lurker here. Only five posts in 7 seven years.

OT it's probably going to be just as our S tier lurker says. I'd be surprised if they actually moved everything back and dumped GITS:SAC

Crocodile

Hyped to hear about a date for Jack! It seems it would make more sense to air Jack at 11pm though and leave DBS at 11:30? They paid for Jack to get MADE so it seems like it should get a better slot? Also I think the new Jack season is only 10 episodes long? Whatever new slot Jack gets probably won't last long (how many times are they going to rerun it? Once? Twice?) and it seems to make more sense to drop Jack once its done making its rounds rather than move DBS to 11pm and then eventually back to 11:30pm. Or maybe I'm overestimating how much of a big deal it will be.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
3 shows down, 3 to go.

....I sure hope to god this gundam episode can hold my interest & explains some stuff. This is the one show I feel like I can only make it through due to chatting along with you guys.

bigkrev

Whoa we got a S tier lurker here. Only five posts in 7 seven years.

OT it's probably going to be just as our S tier lurker says. I'd be surprised if they actually moved everything back and dumped GITS:SAC

This inspired me to look back at my earliest posts on GAF. My first post is about the PS3 version of DC Universe Online (remember that thing?), which I think I ended up downloading and playing once.

My 6th post ever was a pretty good pickup day in the pickup thread
upload.JPG

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not gonna lie, I feel so lost that I can't even tell when the comments you guys posted are suppose to match up in the episode unless it was super specific like "DAMN, NECK SNAP"

I don't know why I try to watch stuff like Gundam or Ghost in the Shell that try to focus on more complicated stuff that tends to go over my head thanks to my disinterest in politics & the like.

It's great you posted that & helped try to clear some things up, but it's not a good sign when we need to look up information outside from the show just to get context of certain plot elements & such. Yes, this is meant to be a continuation of a long running series, but at the same time, don't just show a series from later in the franchise & expect the audience to fully understand everything without having seen, let alone know about the previous shows. I'll give DB Super some credit in that despite not seeing Buu, they at least explain SOME of the stuff that happened before Super or it's stuff that nowhere near as confusing/important like what Gundam has.

I guess to be fair, I should be directing this more towards Toonami for deciding to jump to this one instead of showing a different Gundam or another UC series (which probably wasn't possible due to age or length) that would've helped give more context/works better as a standalone.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, I understand. It's a bit of a mess.

To be fair, all this stuff is basically common knowledge in Japan, since Gundam's old and well-known enough there that everybody knows all that crap by osmosis.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also judging by where they are going most if not all of the history (besides the stuff the show presented in these first three episodes) is going to just be background detail. All you really need to know is that everyone wants the key and that it has something to do with the founding of the federation, at least as far as I can tell. Everything else is a cute nod type of reference.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I understand. It's a bit of a mess.

To be fair, all this stuff is basically common knowledge in Japan, since Gundam's old and well-known enough there that everybody knows all that crap by osmosis.
& that makes perfect sense, considering how long/old Gundam is & its lasting popularity/impact. It's just that what Toonami choose, it does NOT work well as a stand-alone to those who aren't as familiar to the series. At least with IBO, even if it took too damn long to understand WHY everything was going on for me to care about the stuff happening, I didn't feel nearly as confused.

Also judging by where they are going most if not all of the history (besides the stuff the show presented in these first three episodes) is going to just be background detail. All you really need to know is that everyone wants the key and that it has something to do with the founding of the federation, at least as far as I can tell. Everything else is a cute nod type of reference.
Hopefully after this first set of episodes & we move on to the 2nd OVA episode, things will start to pick up & I can try watching with just the "they want X to get Y but must stop Z from getting X" mentality.

cntr

Banned
To be honest, the main reason I watched Unicorn was for the mecha fights and space animation. There's almost nothing with animation this good. Despite having posted that recap, the plot isn't all that important for me, haha.

Not gonna lie, I feel so lost that I can't even tell when the comments you guys posted are suppose to match up in the episode unless it was super specific like "DAMN, NECK SNAP"

I don't know why I try to watch stuff like Gundam or Ghost in the Shell that try to focus on more complicated stuff that tends to go over my head thanks to my disinterest in politics & the like.

It's great you posted that & helped try to clear some things up, but it's not a good sign when we need to look up information outside from the show just to get context of certain plot elements & such. Yes, this is meant to be a continuation of a long running series, but at the same time, don't just show a series from later in the franchise & expect the audience to fully understand everything without having seen, let alone know about the previous shows. I'll give DB Super some credit in that despite not seeing Buu, they at least explain SOME of the stuff that happened before Super or it's stuff that nowhere near as confusing/important like what Gundam has.

I guess to be fair, I should be directing this more towards Toonami for deciding to jump to this one instead of showing a different Gundam or another UC series (which probably wasn't possible due to age or length) that would've helped give more context/works better as a standalone.

When I reread this thread I just look at the time of the posts and can generally put together exactly when moments happened.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To be honest, the main reason I watched Unicorn was for the mecha fights and space animation. There's almost nothing with animation this good. Despite having posted that recap, the plot isn't all that important for me, haha.

(None of the really well animated Gundam shows have good plots. This, 08th MS, 0083.) The one shining hope is Origin apparently.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
so they'll explain what a gundam is.........but not the 20 other things related to the plot.

hi, I'm your "guy in gundam who wears a mask" for the series.

I still wish I had an actual opinion on this show aside from ".....well, it looks nice."

Thank god, time for HxH, a show that I won't grow bored of 10 minutes in, then realize 20 minutes later "....oh right, I should finish watching the episode...."

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
...........I feel like I both don't understand, yet get what they're trying to explain in this HxH explanation.

.....& then Killua became a cook, using his powers to make things taste better, therefore facing Soma in a Shokugeki.

HISOKA, PUT SOME DAMN PANTS ON WHEN YOU'RE TALKING TO GON

lol zorry, zushi, you just ain't important enough.

cool, Gon passed.....& we finally get updates on Leorio & Kurapika!

LOL, Zushi stays losing.

NOOOOOOOO, I MISSED THE GROUP REACTION TO SCHWING

Hot damn, this Gon Vs. Hisoka fight animation is great.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HE THREW ANOTHER TILE & DAT PUUNNNCCCHHHHH

Next week's episode is gonna be awesome, isn't it?!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
also I feel compelled to mention that My Hero Academia has
a My Little Pony
reference in a recent chapter
Haha, what? I don't recall seeing it. Where & which chapter?

"What kind of power does this guy have?!" Look at the title of the episode that was just shown/spoken a minute ago...

LOL ROBIN, imagining a cat

I find it weird they used "repel" in the title, but then everyone uses "deflects" in the episode.

uuhhhh, watatatatatatata?

*insert MY LEG soundclip from Spongebob*

I havent seen Unicorn, but my guess is it's not meant to be an entry point into UC.

Definitely not. It is meant to tie up loose ends. That said, my roommate watched it without having never seen any uc stuff before and enjoyed it. A lot of the old references are world building and fan service. Generally the show explains itself and references pretty quickly when it needs a concept to be understood.

But yeah. There is a lot that can be understood just through inference too.

Really... the show isn't that complicated.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Definitely not. It is meant to tie up loose ends. That said, my roommate watched it without having never seen any uc stuff before and enjoyed it. A lot of the old references are world building and fan service. Generally the show explains itself and references pretty quickly when it needs a concept to be understood.

But yeah. There is a lot that can be understood just through inference too.

Really... the show isn't that complicated.
I think two of the issues are 1.) how late it airs, & 2.) trying to group watch it/read reactions while trying to watch the show at the same time. Ghost in the Shell is going to have the same problem, especially being the last show on the block.

This character, the American exchange student in Class 1-B.
She's been around a while, but she didn't get properly introduced until
Chapter 122!
Aaah, okay, didn't know that (I don't watch the show), but I remember seeing her in that chapter.

omg all these panning & reaction shots. plz let the next arc not feel so dragged out.

cntr

Banned
Aaah, okay, didn't know that (I don't watch the show), but I remember seeing her in that chapter.
It's not a direct reference, but
she's designed in the same style.

it's kind of amazing that the "American student" character is a MLP reference.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pawme-Pawme-HAAAAAAAAA

everyone's dead

HOLY CRAP, you guys weren't kidding with Toei doing everything they can to stretch a scene out.

Moaradin

Curious, where is this actually from? One of the games?

edit: Oh I see, the Japanese version of the video says it's from "Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations" in the description. Are these games still dubbed even with Boruto stuff?

Yup. All the Naruto games get dubbed.

cntr

Banned
Curious, where is this actually from? One of the games?
Yeah, apparently it's what KIller Bee gets between battles in the story mode.

edit: I remember that one of the Naruto games was written in English and then translated to Japanese, so Naruto ends up constantly saying "Believe it-dattebayo!"

Raxus

All Naruto games are dubbed meanwhile nobody will shell out for the VA in the pirate warrior games.

It is a damn shame.

Moaradin

Yeah, apparently it's what KIller Bee gets between battles in the story mode.

edit: I remember that one of the Naruto games was written in English and then translated to Japanese, so Naruto ends up constantly saying "Believe it-dattebayo!"

Was it the Ubisoft ones?

So Samurai Jack in March, right?

That's right around the corner. I don't see why they would push Super back an hour. I'm betting money on an 11:00 expansion.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Perhaps SJ in March could be part of a "present" to celebrate Toonami's 20th birthday?

.......know what would be amazing? If they had one night that mimicked one of the earlier line-ups from back in the day. Similar to how they did the April Fools "joke".

So has Demarco said what the plan is for toonami now that Jack season 5 is confirmed?

this is a real curveball, not that I'm not happy about it but this throws Toonami off. why is [AS] handling Jack and not Toonami?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So has Demarco said what the plan is for toonami now that Jack season 5 is confirmed?

this is a real curveball, not that I'm not happy about it but this throws Toonami off. why is [AS] handling Jack and not Toonami?

Well I believe the new season is going to be a bit more adult oriented with more actual violence and a darker tone. I also believe its supposed to be a bit of a more over arching storyline through out the season instead of stand alone/one off episodes. I believe they're taking advantage of the fact the original audience is older now and the fact they can get away with more on a late night slot than the more kid friendly times.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
No shows currently end on or around March 11, so I suppose that just means New Samurai Jack pushes everything else back? Or maybe DB Super slides to 11PM? [edit: Or get rid of it completely? That seems doubtful]

My guess is that Super stays where it is, Samurai Jack comes on after, they slide everything else back and just delete the rerun at the end of the block.

My guess is that Super stays where it is, Samurai Jack comes on after, they slide everything else back and just delete the rerun at the end of the block.

I don't think they'd break up the hour of dragon ball, jack s5 is either going before or after them.

Grexeno

They aren't deleting the rerun because GITS is starting immediately after OPM. Either Super gets 11 or everything gets moved down.

zulux21

man... day 1 updates are lame :p

go to play kingdomhearsts 2.8 (which doesn't come out until tomorrow) and have to download a 1gb update :(

Ray Down

Banned
All Naruto games are dubbed meanwhile nobody will shell out for the VA in the pirate warrior games.

It is a damn shame.

It would have been interesting seeing who they would have cast for certain characters that didn't debut yet in the Funi dub.

Fujitora, Sabo, Hody, Caeser Clown, Vergo, Monet and Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom