• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hey if they want to start pushing Toonami earlier I wouldn't mind and I realize those Family Guy/Cleveland Show/American Dad/SHIT draw in more of your average viewer, I think it'd be cool if Toonami and the anime block in general garnered a bit more interest to do so.

zulux21

@______________________@

and once you get in game you have to wait for the game to copy from the disk when you go to play it....

*watches the 10 minute copy from kindom hearts .2*

this is torture @_@

Dragon Quest VIII kicked my ass last night. Didn't spend enough time doing health management and suddenly enemies started spamming Cool Breathe and knocking both my party characters out.

Tenumi

Banned
Now wait a minute.

Flying Nimbus can only be flown by those with a pure heart.

First Goku, then Gohan, now Goten.

.........how is it all 3 of them can ride it, but Chi-Chi & Bulma couldn't?

Obviously Roshi couldn't ride it anymore, hence why he gave it to Goku, but still, seems weird pretty much everyone in the Goku family can use it....except Goku's wife.

I have so many things I want to answer this with....

I'm catching up on the last two weeks worth of stuff. No guarantee, but I might be able to catch this Saturday live.

Now wait a minute.

Flying Nimbus can only be flown by those with a pure heart.

First Goku, then Gohan, now Goten.

.........how is it all 3 of them can ride it, but Chi-Chi & Bulma couldn't?

Obviously Roshi couldn't ride it anymore, hence why he gave it to Goku, but still, seems weird pretty much everyone in the Goku family can use it....except Goku's wife.

Chichi actually could ride on it in the original series. I don't recall if she ever tried to do it again as an adult. The joke with Bulma was that she was pretty much a perv as well. She wanted to use her wish on the Dragon Balls to get a hot boyfriend after all.

zulux21

Chichi actually could ride on it in the original series. I don't recall if she ever tried to do it again as an adult. The joke with Bulma was that she was pretty much a perv as well. She wanted to use her wish on the Dragon Balls to get a hot boyfriend after all.

yeah she totally rode off with goku on it, and I don't think since then has she ever attempted to get on it.

the better question is why haven't they given it to some other more needy family.

they can all go many times faster than the cloud on their own*, making that poor cloud fly them around just because they are lazy :(

well once goten learns to fly that is

yeah she totally rode off with goku on it, and I don't think since then has she ever attempted to get on it.

the better question is why haven't they given it to some other more needy family.

they can all go many times faster than the cloud on their own*, making that poor cloud fly them around just because they are lazy :(

well once goten learns to fly that is

I think the honest answer is Toriyama forgot. Like, it's amazing that it came back at all during the start of the Buu Saga. But the Nimbus basically went the way of Weighted Gi in the sense of it being obsolete the minute everyone learned how to fly.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I could've sworn Chi-Chi didn't, maybe I was thinking of Bulma who tried to sit on it, but just fell through.

Also, I thought Bulma wanted a lifetime supply of strawberries.........which is just silly considering SHE COMES FROM MONEY & CAN JUST BUY THEM.

& for that matter, why not use said money to lure men?

I could've sworn Chi-Chi didn't, maybe I was thinking of Bulma who tried to sit on it, but just fell through.

Also, I thought Bulma wanted a lifetime supply of strawberries.........which is just silly considering SHE COMES FROM MONEY & CAN JUST BUY THEM.

& for that matter, why not use said money to lure men?

I don't recall Bulma ever wanting strawberries unless the dub added a stupid line in.

As for the second question, the implication is that Bulma wants the perfect boyfriend and not just anyone.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
& so she settled for Yamcha? & then Vegeta?

I want to say the line about strawberries was from the Path to Power movie, which was the 2nd retelling of the original Dragon Ball series.

& so she settled for Yamcha? & then Vegeta?

I want to say the line about strawberries was from the Path to Power movie, which was the 2nd retelling of the original Dragon Ball series.
She didn't exactly get a chance to wish for it in the end.

I'm also pretty sure that's a dub line. Funimation wasn't nearly as accurate to the source material until they started Kai.

Not to mention Path to Power itself changed a lot of things from the manga in order to fit it into a film.

Tenumi

Banned
*Watching DBZ Kai recording*

...Oh hi, Not-Nappa.

Man, I'm gonna miss this Videl....

Also, wouldn't people notice Gohan freaking JUMPING OFF A BUILDING changing into costume?

Moaradin

Just finished season 1 of Samurai Jack. The Scotsman episode is still great. And the episode where Aku tells fairy tales to kids is hilarious.

GREAT
FLAMING
EYEBROWS

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It would have been interesting seeing who they would have cast for certain characters that didn't debut yet in the Funi dub.

Fujitora, Sabo, Hody, Caeser Clown, Vergo, Monet and Vista.

That second one was already cast thanks to Film Gold.

We haven't heard any news about a new One Piece game in a while.
Latest release was that 3DS game with the awful frame rate that connects to DBZ Butoden, and that was back in September.

Ray Down

Banned
That second one was already cast thanks to Film Gold.

We haven't heard any news about a new One Piece game in a while.
Latest release was that 3DS game with the awful frame rate that connects to DBZ Butoden, and that was back in September.

I saying when the game came out in like what 2014 when he wasen't casted.

Remember when Cartoon Network made a cartoon based off a J-pop band?

Hi_Hi_Puffy_AmiYumi_Characters.png

Those were simpler times?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think the bigger question is "why would you localize a cartoon based on singers who VOICE THEIR OWN CHARACTERS......to then replace them with different VAs, defeating part of the purpose of the show?"

Yes, obviously they probably couldn't have both girls trying to dub their own characters in English, but still, such a weird show for CN to put money into bringing over.

......did it even get a "complete series" release on DVD?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's an Asian dub of the Powerpuff Girls anime.
Now THAT, I'm kind of surprised never came over, considering they did that new series not too long ago.

..........that Powerpuff Girls Z is probably better than the new version CN tried to put out, I bet.....

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I think the bigger question is "why would you localize a cartoon based on singers who VOICE THEIR OWN CHARACTERS......to then replace them with different VAs, defeating part of the purpose of the show?"

Yes, obviously they probably couldn't have both girls trying to dub their own characters in English, but still, such a weird show for CN to put money into bringing over.

......did it even get a "complete series" release on DVD?

Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi was a Cartoon Network original. The Japanese dub of the show didn't air until like a year later.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi was a Cartoon Network original. The Japanese dub of the show didn't air until like a year later.
It came out in the US FIRST?

..........man, now I really question the show's existence now. I always figured it was out in Japan first to promote the singers.

cntr

Banned
You know, if Powerpuff Girls was 1. watched in Japan and 2. popular enough to get its own version there...what other US cartoons did they watch there? Do they watch Adventure Time or something in Japan? I'm genuinely curious.

BatDan

You know, if Powerpuff Girls was 1. watched in Japan and 2. popular enough to get its own version there...what other US cartoons did they watch there? Do they watch Adventure Time or something in Japan? I'm genuinely curious.

Disney of course is huge.
I believe they watch Spongebob
There's a couple characters in Shaman King (the manga) that are inspired by Ren & Stimpy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does Disney count? Because from what I've heard, Disney is also very big in Japan as well.

Hell, Disney helped inspired anime because Osamu Tezuka was inspired by the '30s & '40s era of Disney cartoons which helped created the whole "big eyes, small mouth" aesthetic associated with anime.

I also want to say Simpsons got a Japanese dub? But I would assume that show doesn't work when so many references are to American things.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So.............its original form, then?

I wonder how cheap it was to localize those shows since half the time, they just used clips from the original Japanese version.

Also, one of these days, I want to see Samurai Pizza Cats considering the whole deal with Saban not having a translated script, so they pretty much just winged the translation.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Great, now all I can think of is that comic about the Japanese being a fan of American cartoons & being a reversal on the American fan of anime.

That, & all the anime Fox tried to bring over after the Pokemon craze. I still remember Flint the Time Detective, Moncole Knights, & Mew Mew Power (SHUT UP, DON'T JUDGE ME). I can't think of many shows that were US first but then were brought to Japan.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
On the Power Rangers dub, that's not the original. They took the show that took Japanese stock footage and dubbed over it all, including the changes and original footage.
So they dubbed a show that was already a dub of an existing show but with swapped footage of American actors?

..........that's just weird.

BatDan

So they dubbed a show that was already a dub of an existing show but with swapped footage of American actors?

..........that's just weird.

They didn't just dub the original seasons either.
They haven't done every single one but I know they did Lost Galaxy, SPD (where they got the original Dekaranger actors to play their corresponding roles) and SamuraI (which is just weird since Samurai's story is just copypasted Shinkenger with different names).

They also dubbed over another American Toku adaptation, Kamen Rider Dragon Knight. They were a lot more receptive of it than the West was (mostly because nobody watched it and the people that did found it boring or stupid or both)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wish the upcoming Power Rangers movie was so self-aware of the fact it was taking footage from Japanese action shows & just working around the footage.

....also, if you had no idea what the Power Rangers were (i.e. you were like me & never grew up watching the show), seeing the poster & the phrase "go go" makes little to no sense. Hell, I joked with my co-workers it was using Inspector Gadget's catchphrase.

BatDan

Also, the Titanium Ranger from Lightspeed Rescue being exclusive to the series since he didn't have a Sentai counterpart.

Yep, along with the Battilizers that were in many of the seasons. The SPD one was even used in the Magiranger vs Dekaranger.
Nowadays Sentai seems to be making their own. Kyoryuger only gave a power-up to Red, Ninninger gave one to Red though it was used by the other guys (not the women because reasons) and Gold got his own Poncho thing that was barely used (Ninninger was a mess) and Zyuohger only gave power-ups to Red, a Gorilla-themed muscle suit and a Whale-themed cape with a blaster that could blow a chunk in the moon, and if touched by all six Rangers it can briefly blow out the sun.

I wish the upcoming Power Rangers movie was so self-aware of the fact it was taking footage from Japanese action shows & just working around the footage.

....also, if you had no idea what the Power Rangers were (i.e. you were like me & never grew up watching the show), seeing the poster & the phrase "go go" makes little to no sense. Hell, I joked with my co-workers it was using Inspector Gadget's catchphrase.

They're not using Japanese footage in the movie. It's all original.
But I guess they could make a joke somewhere in the movie.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I should've worded that better.

I wish the movie was self-aware it was based on a series that just reused footage from a different show.

But I'll be shocked if it turns out alright, considering Hollywood doesn't always have the best record of turning properties from Japan into movies, like Transformers....despite somehow getting a ton of sequels....

Had to work/drill for the weekend so I missed ToonamiGaF time catch up on shows I missed. So if Jack is 11:30 does that mean everything is pushed back?
I should've worded that better.

I wish the movie was self-aware it was based on a series that just reused footage from a different show.

But I'll be shocked if it turns out alright, considering Hollywood doesn't always have the best record of turning properties from Japan into movies, like Transformers....despite somehow getting a ton of sequels....
Most of the people watching the show didn't realize that but that joke could work

It was alright. Not a favorite, but decent enough.

I do remember having a certain fondness for it, though I can't remember why.

Had to work/drill for the weekend so I missed ToonamiGaF time catch up on shows I missed. So if Jack is 11:30 does that mean everything is pushed back?

Either everything is getting pushed back, or the block is starting at 11:00 and Jack is gonna be between Super and Kai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom