• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I shouldn't bring this evil in the thread but My Little Pony: FIM has a Japanese dub

Or rather Tomodachi wa Mahou

The weird thing is that they stopped dubbing it after season 2... but they are still dubbing the Equestria Girls movies (high school human AU), which all take place after season 3, and thus feature major changes on the pony side that are never explained to Japanese fans. Judging from fan art, it appears Equestria Girls is proportionately more popular among fans over there than it is here.

Remember when Cartoon Network made a cartoon based off a J-pop band?

Hi_Hi_Puffy_AmiYumi_Characters.png

Those were simpler times?

Oh man, I remember watching this quite a bit when I was a kid. Even now, I have no idea why someone decided to make a show about them (seriously does anyone even know what they've done outside of this and the Teen Titans (Go) opening?)

Grexeno

Kinda weird that this March 11 date is confirmed, being reported by big outlets now, but Jason hasn't said anything about it. He's most certainly gotten questions about it.
One gets the feeling that this stuff was supposed to be announced on, like, Pre-Flight and just slipped out.

Regiruler

You know, if Powerpuff Girls was 1. watched in Japan and 2. popular enough to get its own version there...what other US cartoons did they watch there? Do they watch Adventure Time or something in Japan? I'm genuinely curious.
Obligatory mention of EE&E Japanese dub.

So I have a question for ToonamiGAF. Of the Lupin the 3rd specials/movies released by Discotek that are still in print excluding Cagliostro, Jigen's Gravestone and Voyage to Danger (I already have those) as well as First Contact (Which I'll be getting) which one would you recommend?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So I have a question for ToonamiGAF. Of the Lupin the 3rd specials/movies released by Discotek that are still in print excluding Cagliostro, Jigen's Gravestone and Voyage to Danger (I already have those) as well as First Contact (Which I'll be getting) which one would you recommend?
Cagliostro is the one made by Ghibli & is rather good.

PLUS IT HAS SOLID SNAKE AS LUPIN!!!

Edit: Damn it, didn't see "excluding".

Okay, so I know I asked this before and I sorta left you guys hanging but this time I really do need help. Does anyone have Best Buy GCU?
I have both GCU & Amazon Prime. Need to get something for 20% off?

mind that Cagliostro isn't much like normal Lupin, it's more its own thing

True... but I think it's closer to what we think of as Lupin than the manga, 1st series and Fujiko series are. It basically set the tone for series 2.

Series 4 was god tier btw. Best anime of last year.

Some Toonami-gaffers are probably having a great time playing RE7, Yakuza 0, Dragon Quest...

...and I'm just sitting here trying to get these FUCKING OVERWATCH SKINS!!!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I still have Yakuza 3 & 4 sitting on my PS3 via PS+. I just never got around to them because of knowing how much of a time sink they are.

Hoping after Gravity Rush 2, I can work on a backlog item or two in Feb. before the Switch + Zelda is out. Or at the very least, get back to FF15 with this Chocobo Carnival event & finish Ch. 9 since I stopped due to not being able to figure out how to reach an area to get a hunt.

cntr

Banned
I feel like you guys worry about ratings too much, lol

Didn't the Toonami history video mention that the old ratings for the timeslots used to be in the 200,000s?

Probably to satisfy Toei who wanted it on a kids channel.
I wouldn't be surprised if the 8:00 airing quietly switched to airing repeats at some point

Moaradin

If they want to keep the 8:00 slot, they should definitely make that the repeat like they did for Kai. It must be cannibalizing some of the viewers, right?

I'm not too surprised at Super's ratings when we're in a retelling arc with a bunch of episodes that focused on nothing but comedy.

Once we get to where the action starts and hit the new material the ratings will likely increase accordingly.

bigkrev

I feel like you guys worry about ratings too much, lol

Didn't the Toonami history video mention that the old ratings for the timeslots used to be in the 200,000s?

I wouldn't be surprised if the 8:00 airing quietly switched to airing repeats at some point

The reason we worry is they could do 800k viewers minimum with reruns of Family Guy they already paid for, instead of spending money licensing new anime

I'm not too surprised at Super's ratings when we're in a retelling arc with a bunch of episodes that focused on nothing but comedy.

Once we get to where the action starts and hit the new material the ratings will likely increase accordingly.

Ratings were likely down because of the march and just natural variation

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
i choose to pointlessly rationally blame this on the DB hour & that the audience is finally realizing the fact childhood nostalgia is not always as good as it seems, so they're not staying around & therefore ruining the ratings of the actual good shows like jojo & hxh

obviously, i came to this conclusion after no much deliberation

......or some real life stuff was more important than watching cartoons, i don't know

Ratings were likely down because of the march and just natural variation

That's also possible.

i choose to pointlessly rationally blame this on the DB hour & that the audience is finally realizing the fact childhood nostalgia is not always as good as it seems, so they're not staying around & therefore ruining the ratings of the actual good shows like jojo & hxh

obviously, i came to this conclusion after no much deliberation

......or some real life stuff was more important than watching cartoons, i don't know

I guess Toonami's cancellation is imminent then.

cntr

Banned
The reason we worry is they could do 800k viewers minimum with reruns of Family Guy they already paid for, instead of spending money licensing new anime
I mean, maybe, but Adult Swim doesn't seem to be worried about Toonami's ratings atm. So I don't see any reason to worry right now.

Regiruler

Prediction posts for March 4th weekend:

"play Zelda, or watch Toonami...."

"sorry, too busy playing Zelda"

"will be playing Zelda on Switch while watching Toonami"

But if I want to pretend I'm watching I can just use my Wii U.

It even doubles as a remote and gaf viewer!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
In all fairness, we seem to have an "off" night at least once a month or so. & last week was double millions.

As long as DB Super stays over a million (& there's no logical reason for it to be under that, like a real-life event, holiday, or marathon), there's really nothing to truly be worried about.

As for a different topic, guessing the next marathon will be April 15th due to Easter. Willing to bet they'll make that a Super marathon.

Edit: Hmm, GitS might get a marathon as well (memorial day?), but I wonder if they'd do that since it's in the rerun slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom