• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bulma actually has the same color hair Trunks does in the manga I believe

Bulma's hair has changed color quite a bit...so perhaps she dies her hair?

Bulma's original hair color in the manga is supposed to be this purple-pinkish color. The same color as Trunks' hair.

For some reason the anime made it blue... but kept Trunks' hair the correct color.

Until later in Super when Trunks' hair is suddenly blue too...

PixelatedBookake

Yeah sorry but I never thought it got better. It's conditioned me a much different way, to the point that when Hunter X Hunter came back in the magazine recently, my reaction to seeing a new chapter up was always "I wonder whose going to die this time."

And I know at least one person died in every chapter that came out that time too.

Maybe it works for some people. However, it never clicked with me all throughout the manga and the anime hasn't changed my mind so far. One of the reasons Killua's still kind of my least favorite of the group is particularly how the show treats his being an assassin. It always came off like it only addressed it as a problem because it felt like it had to and not really because it had any real interest in properly weening him away from it and allowing the consequences of it be more than what they were.

That shit with Bodoro and those two guys on the blimp still feels off to me. When I first read it I thought he was going to be a villain. The direction they went with felt like it could have worked had it been more gradual (I can't believe I'm saying this but I honestly think Dragonball did this a bit better with Vegeta).

Not to mention scenes like the one where the two guys get their skeletons shoved into fucking garbage cans. That shit was funny, sure, but part of me isn't able to fully separate myself from the fact that they're having a casual conversation with some old dude while the bones of two guys who were just alive earlier that day are in a trash bin beside them.

I couldn't help but think this stuff about friendship and Killua's feelings was a little hard to care about on its own. I'm probably alone on this but I need something there that actually holds him a little more accountable for his own actions too I guess. The thing with Illumi is great and all but I couldn't shake off the feeling that it was a little too transparent a thing to be like "This guy is the only at fault cause he conditioned Killua to do this shit" and Killua's just someone who needs help. But he's the kind of kid who can literally rip a guy's heart out and the reaction you get from everyone isn't of any lasting fear or shock. It's mostly just momentary surprise from Leorio. Gon doesn't even give a shit until way later with Illumi and only really because that time Killua murdered Bodoro it made him feel bad.

It's so weird. All the actual murder Killua commits gets brushed off before they even know who Illumi is. Then when Illumi shows up and basically does nothing it's treated like a big deal. I'm not saying the moment didn't work. It did but more as it's own moment. It didn't really do well for changing my mind about Killua.

I also don't really buy the whole "Gon is conditioned to death" thing either. Conan Edogawa still has a somewhat horrified reaction to seeing someone brutally murdered and his manga is in the 900s now. Gon's reactions being that way wouldn't be an issue if the show addressed in anyway and gave me at least a bit of a hint that this was supposed to be the case with him but without that it's just really odd.

Also, I'm mad that Zushi got treated like utter shit by the narrative for no real good reason. I probably shouldn't be but I am. That doesn't even have anything to do with death, I just felt so shitty after what happened with him there.

This and a lot of what your saying actually bothered me a lot until I got somewhat far in the anime. My mind never really changed about Killua until future moments in the show where he chooses not to kill when he easily can. You even have certain moments where he lets himself kill when the situation pertains to it. Knowing Killua eventually decides he shouldn't kill rather than the beginning of the show ignoring the fact that he does it made me enjoy the character much more.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
well technically, he was. He was raised in the mountains by his grandpa

guess king kai didn't watch dragon ball

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
& then Beerus discovered social media, politics, & selfies

he then destroyed the planet because of how annoying earth was

This and a lot of what your saying actually bothered me a lot until I got somewhat far in the anime. My mind never really changed about Killua until future moments in the show where he chooses not to kill when he easily can. You even have certain moments where he lets himself kill when the situation pertains to it. Knowing Killua eventually decides he shouldn't kill rather than the beginning of the show ignoring the fact that he does it made me enjoy the character much more.

That probably would have worked for me as well had the foundation for why he decides to do that been something that felt natural to me. It also doesn't help that the kind of character he is already isn't something I'm too fond of.

This doesn't mean I think he's a bad character, even though I don't like him that much. However, it's hard being sold on a lot of his stuff as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom