• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OH GOD, .hack. I think I saw/played the game & was "cooolllll, this is a neat concept", then saw the anime & was all "wtf is this? WAIT, WHY IS THIS CONTEST ENDING WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER'S SISTER HAVING TO KISS HIM, STOP ENCOURAGING IT ANNOUNCER DUDE"

I think there was another one, but it aired at like 5 a.m. on Sunday & I didn't see much of it.

Mizerman

OH GOD, .hack. I think I saw/played the game & was "cooolllll, this is a neat concept", then saw the anime & was all "wtf is this? WAIT, WHY IS THIS CONTEST ENDING WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER'S SISTER HAVING TO KISS HIM, STOP ENCOURAGING IT ANNOUNCER DUDE"

I think there was another one, but it aired at like 5 a.m. on Sunday & I didn't see much of it.

.hack//Roots. That came and went so fast.

God damn I forgot how good the Hisoka vs Kastro fight was. Dude got wrecked. Kastro put all his skill points into one stat. When Hisoka talks to his nurse waifu you could tell that he's a big kid during the conversation, but Hisoka's clearly a fucking perverted, murderous, psychopathic nut job.

I only really felt like shit at the conclusion of one very specific fight towards the end. I'm pretty sure Moradin knows which one it was.

Well, what feeling like shit means to you might be a bit different from what it feels like to me. I typically have very inverse opinions about Hunter X Hunter despite thinking it's a good show.

Well, what feeling like shit means to you might be a bit different from what it feels like to me. I typically have very inverse opinions about Hunter X Hunter despite thinking it's a good show.
Please explain. Fucking Zushi got captured by Phantom Limb.
Surely you are referring to Gon vs Killua at the valley of the end
Lol!

God damn you DO NOT break a promise with Killua. Made the dudes face melt.

Please explain

Shit. I thought I was being clear enough without having to outright say it when I wrote that.

My thoughts on Hunter X Hunter and the way it handles death are pretty negative. It works for some people but not me. Although I think the reason I still consider the show good is because I recognize it more as a matter of preference. There's still some legitamite concerns to be had with it but ultimately it's probably more just a pick and choose type of deal.

Fucking Zushi got captured by Phantom Limb.

Huh?

Shit. I thought I was being clear enough without having to outright say it when I wrote that.

My thoughts on Hunter X Hunter and the way it handles death are pretty negative. It works for some people but not me. Although I think the reason I still consider the show good is because I recognize it more as a matter of preference. There's still some legitamite concerns to be had with it but ultimately it's probably more just a pick and choose type of deal.

Huh?
Oh it handles death in a weird way IE..."fuck it" Nen bullshit. Regarding the Phantom Limb comment the one armed dude grabbed Zushi in a way that reminded me of Phantom Limb from Venture Brothers.

Moaradin

Death in HxH might feel weird at first because the world is a very brutal place, but the main characters are very nonchalant about it right now. Gon is very detached from that kind of thing (just look how much he cares when Killua tells him he's killed people), and Killua is an assassin so obviously he's used to it.

I'm fine with how the show handles it, especially for the later stuff.

Death in HxH might feel weird at first because the world is a very brutal place, but the main characters are very nonchalant about it right now. Gon is very detached from that kind of thing(just look how much he cares when Killua tells him he's killed people), and Killua is an assassin so obviously he's used to it.

I only really found the death being handled in a weird way when a character died only for...well...you know. Killua don't give a fuck, which makes sense given his character and Gon don't really care about anything till later.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
sure didn't stop toonami from airing Super, which has events after Buu that we haven't seen yet.

Can't be worse than watching Super & Buu-kai back to back & questioning what the hell happened after the Cell arc.

Right, so let me break this down, Dragonball is a much more popular series in the West then Jojo and Toonami faced a problem that could only be answered by airing The Buu Saga and and Super at the same time. They couldn't really leave Kai Buu on the cutting room floor without pissing of the fanbase and they couldn't leave the hot new continuation of the franchise on the vine for somebody else to grab either.

Seda

Prrrrrrrrobably not. Bebop HD only got the bold because it was the first time an uncut version of Bebop aired on Adult Swim, so it was even a slightly different dub from past runs. That shouldn't be the case for GITS, which was always dropping s-bombs even back in the day on ASA.

Still kind bummed Cowboy Bebop barely got to air in HD. I think we saw 3 episodes.

tbh apart from like the actual presence of Buu and Videl I guess I don't know what about Super really raises too many questions about what happened after Cell.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
why is there a mini-clone of goku now
why is gohan all grown up
why & how is goku ali....okay, it was the dragon balls, i bet
who is this woman next to gohan
what is this pink thing
why is it with mr satan
why is king kai still dead
why does krillin have hair
why is android 18 his wife
when did krillin have a daughter
why is tien & yamcha still around

Seda

why is there a mini-clone of goku now
why is gohan all grown up
why & how is goku ali....okay, it was the dragon balls, i bet
who is this woman next to gohan
what is this pink thing
why is it with mr satan
why is king kai still dead
why does krillin have hair
why is android 18 his wife
when did krillin have a daughter
why is tien & yamcha still around

You're reaching.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
'What is that pink thing' is a little valid.
All seriousness, this is the one that actually confused me the most/the one legit question I stand by when I was watching Super for the first time.

"wait, wtf, I thought that pink thing was Buu & was the main villain of the next arc. Why is he good now & with Mr. Satan....wait, are they just spoiling what happens in the Buu arc to answer this?"

Least with Kai so far, it answered some questions like who Videl was, the fact there was a time skip, & such.

Death in HxH might feel weird at first because the world is a very brutal place, but the main characters are very nonchalant about it right now. Gon is very detached from that kind of thing (just look how much he cares when Killua tells him he's killed people), and Killua is an assassin so obviously he's used to it.

Yeah sorry but I never thought it got better. It's conditioned me a much different way, to the point that when Hunter X Hunter came back in the magazine recently, my reaction to seeing a new chapter up was always "I wonder whose going to die this time."

And I know at least one person died in every chapter that came out that time too.

Maybe it works for some people. However, it never clicked with me all throughout the manga and the anime hasn't changed my mind so far. One of the reasons Killua's still kind of my least favorite of the group is particularly how the show treats his being an assassin. It always came off like it only addressed it as a problem because it felt like it had to and not really because it had any real interest in properly weening him away from it and allowing the consequences of it be more than what they were.

That shit with Bodoro and those two guys on the blimp still feels off to me. When I first read it I thought he was going to be a villain. The direction they went with felt like it could have worked had it been more gradual (I can't believe I'm saying this but I honestly think Dragonball did this a bit better with Vegeta).

Not to mention scenes like the one where the two guys get their skeletons shoved into fucking garbage cans. That shit was funny, sure, but part of me isn't able to fully separate myself from the fact that they're having a casual conversation with some old dude while the bones of two guys who were just alive earlier that day are in a trash bin beside them.

I couldn't help but think this stuff about friendship and Killua's feelings was a little hard to care about on its own. I'm probably alone on this but I need something there that actually holds him a little more accountable for his own actions too I guess. The thing with Illumi is great and all but I couldn't shake off the feeling that it was a little too transparent a thing to be like "This guy is the only at fault cause he conditioned Killua to do this shit" and Killua's just someone who needs help. But he's the kind of kid who can literally rip a guy's heart out and the reaction you get from everyone isn't of any lasting fear or shock. It's mostly just momentary surprise from Leorio. Gon doesn't even give a shit until way later with Illumi and only really because that time Killua murdered Bodoro it made him feel bad.

It's so weird. All the actual murder Killua commits gets brushed off before they even know who Illumi is. Then when Illumi shows up and basically does nothing it's treated like a big deal. I'm not saying the moment didn't work. It did but more as it's own moment. It didn't really do well for changing my mind about Killua.

I also don't really buy the whole "Gon is conditioned to death" thing either. Conan Edogawa still has a somewhat horrified reaction to seeing someone brutally murdered and his manga is in the 900s now. Gon's reactions being that way wouldn't be an issue if the show addressed in anyway and gave me at least a bit of a hint that this was supposed to be the case with him but without that it's just really odd.

Also, I'm mad that Zushi got treated like utter shit by the narrative for no real good reason. I probably shouldn't be but I am. That doesn't even have anything to do with death, I just felt so shitty after what happened with him there.

Moaradin

I don't think Gon is conditioned to death. It's more like he doesn't care. He's very emotionally distant to people he doesn't personally know. There's more to it than that but I don't want to get into spoilers. You probably know what I'm talking about since you've read the manga.

As for Killua, I like the multiple sides to his character. Him being an assassin and wanting to be friends with Gon is interesting to me. I also don't think Illumi completely handwaves that side of Killua.

Whether Gon is conditioned to it or he doesn't care, it still leads to the same thing for me. Honestly, it's probably a lot worse if he just doesn't care. At least being conditioned to it would provide me with a more feasible reason that, I still wouldn't buy, but could be seen as something that I could reasonably see other people latching onto. But him just not caring sounds really terrible to me.

And I think the way they treated the Illumi thing kind of does handwave it. I can't really think of any moments where Killua and his nature as an assassin is treated as the sole problem but rather everything else around him being the issue that got him where he is. And even then it doesn't matter because when he does it, no one gives a shit.

That's just me though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So

being turned down kinda sucks

I'm going to stuff my face with fried food tonight to try and not think about it.
Sucks to hear that, man. I know that feeling, it's awful. Hopefully, watching Toonami with us will help ya feel better.

So we've arrived at the infamous episode 5 of Dragon Ball Super.

Thankfully we have the corrected version, which while not pretty, is bearable.

So

I'm going to stuff my face with fried food tonight to try and not think about it.

Not sure if you mean in a romantic or business sense, but it stings both ways.

Sorry man. Take it easy with us.

So

I know that feel...I feel your feeling deeply. Haven't been on a date since July, just "wanted to be friends." Been single since June when me and my ex split.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
On the subject of Samurai Jack on Toonami, I wonder if the move to 11 PM will be only for Jack or if that will extended after?

On the subject of Samurai Jack on Toonami, I wonder if the move to 11 PM will be only for Jack or if that will extended after?

I could see it staying, since outside of Gundam nothing they have is ending anytime soon. So either they are stuck with this lineup for awhile, or they start adding more earlier slots.

I could see it staying, since outside of Gundam nothing they have is ending anytime soon. So either they are stuck with this lineup for awhile, or they start adding more earlier slots.

It sounds like Gundam is going to be a (for now) mainstay on Toonami so our best bet for new shows in 2017 outside of getting the 11 timeslot after Samurai Jack is Jojo taking a break for part 3 and Mob Psycho is going to likely take that slot. I'm hoping we can get Lupin the 3rd on Toonami at some point.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Quick question.

Are you able to stream Toonami via the Adult Swim app on mobile & such? Or is it only via browser/website?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom