• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samurai Jack was really violent at times yeah, but there was plenty of slower, atmosphere stuff. The episode where Jack finds the remains of his homeland was beautiful.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Then May 13th is probably the final Samurai Jack episode, assuming it's the 10 episodes.

Memorial Day weekend is typically the first marathon of the year.
Hmm, which is 2 weeks after Jack might be ending.....& one week after a new show would be premiering. I wonder if they'll do another double showing of another show to hold off the premiere, assuming we're still keeping the 11 p.m. slot afterwards.

Still wonder about April Fools since it falls on a Saturday this year.

In all honesty, if I was younger, I probably would've given in cuz "OH BOY, ACTION AND BOOBIES, JUST WHAT I WANT IN MY MANGA!!" was on my brain as a teen. Probably why I somehow read through Negima for a good amount of time before it went into time travel or whatever.

But yeah, it seems to be one of those "gateway" anime for this generation (see also Attack on Titan), sort of like how Naruto, Inuyasha, etc. was for the mid-2000s kids. It's generic to us who've seen a ton of anime, but it's still "new" & "fresh" to those who are still being introduced to anime in general.

Oh yes for sure. In the comments of a JoJo fan video made with SFM which contained the Japanese audio, I remember one person saying something like "What is this it sounds like the Attack on Titan language"

Yep
M8VWVfK.gif

GAHH! I remember that episode! It was like the only one I managed to catch back in the day and I had lots of fun experiencing it. Really ought to catch up!

BBboy20

Naked Chicken Chalupa is GOOD. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it!
Guacamole sauce what sells it; still a heart attack waiting to happen.

...Wait, John Wick 2 is set only a week after the original?
I think he still has those knife wounds.

This is the closest we might get to Keanu playing Spike Speigel
:O

This explains the bit in the opening.
I watched that OP a million times and I never noticed that.

now it's become a donkey kong country level
*inserts jojo pounding chest gif*

AC/DC REFERENCES
WATCH ME EXPLOOOOOOOOODE!

In case you're curious, the full Roundabout song is 8 minutes & 36 seconds long.
Roundabout is over 8 minutes long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M

From what I've heard, IBO S2 is much better than S1. And I'd put my money on them running G Gundam HD after IBO S2.

So there's that to look forward to, at least.
After SAO, I've become very guarded about anime reception.

Anime Moonlight
Really good fucking movie.

The credits say Ging is Marc Diraison.
:D
He also plays Kayaba in SAO
D:

Six bullets, more than enough to kill anything that moves.
*understoodreferencegif*

12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 16 - Lisa Lisa, Hamon Coach
Oh...

About time.
What will a arrow do? Got special explosive/piercing material?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've beaten Bloodborne and Dark Souls III. Surely Nioh can't kick my ass too much (famous last words)

Don't play it like a Souls game when it comes to the comeback. Being very aggressive and stamina management and replenishment is the name of the game

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Can't bring myself to try out stuff like Dark Souls where the core appeal is "OH MAN, IT'S HARDER THAN BATTLETOADS, NINJA GAIDEN, & A SNK SYNDROME FIGHTING GAME BOSS COMBINED!!" I want to play games to relax & get a sense of progression.

Meanwhile, I just finished/platinumed Gravity Rush 2. I need to figure out what I want to play next while waiting for Zelda since that & Persona 5 are going to be my next big games. Maybe I should try out that Attack on Titan game on PS4 that I won a while back.

HStallion

Can't bring myself to try out stuff like Dark Souls where the core appeal is "OH MAN, IT'S HARDER THAN BATTLETOADS, NINJA GAIDEN, & A SNK SYNDROME FIGHTING GAME BOSS COMBINED!!" I want to play games to relax & get a sense of progression.

Meanwhile, I just finished/platinumed Gravity Rush 2. I need to figure out what I want to play next while waiting for Zelda since that & Persona 5 are going to be my next big games. Maybe I should try out that Attack on Titan game on PS4 that I won a while back.

I like learning a games systems and then putting them to best use but this is something the Japanese tend to excel at especially for action focused games. That's one of the big appeals to me of Nioh as by the time I got the stamina restoration timing down and knew the basic attacks well enough I was mixing it up, dealing out tons of damage, taking barely any myself and looking good doing it.

BBboy20

You don't play Team Ninja games to relax and get a sense of progression.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You don't play Team Ninja games to relax and get a sense of progression.
Even Dead or Alive Xtreme 3?!?!

I like learning a games systems and then putting them to best use but this is something the Japanese tend to excel at especially for action focused games. That's one of the big appeals to me of Nioh as by the time I got the stamina restoration timing down and knew the basic attacks well enough I was mixing it up, dealing out tons of damage, taking barely any myself and looking good doing it.
I fully understand why the game have gotten popular, because the people who take the time to learn the mechanics & how to fight each enemy get a sense of satisfaction knowing they were able to overcome such challenges after so many attempts. But for me, I just don't want to have to deal with that. One thing I hate is the feeling of "well I just lost ## minutes & now I have to do/try it again".

I don't mind a game making me think or testing my skills (in fact, I like certain puzzle games along with stuff like Ace Attorney involving problem solving), I just don't feel like playing something that takes it to the extreme......though I guess bullet hell shmups are an exception since I'm okay at them, but not "1CC to get the secret final boss" good.

I've beaten Bloodborne and Dark Souls III. Surely Nioh can't kick my ass too much (famous last words)
I've beaten Bloodborne, Ninja Gaiden Black, NG 2, NGS, NGS 2, DMC3, DMC 4, MGS Revengence, I should be fine enough in Nioh, when I eventually get it. I like character action games...beat Bayonetta 2 as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
omg, Nichijou finally arriving tomorrow. Cannot wait to rewatch that.

I can't remember the last time I was legit excited for something to come to DVD or Blu-Ray......let alone when I actually BOUGHT a DVD or Blu-Ray.

I might actually start a mini anime collection assuming Viz can get around to announcing the release dates for all of Jojo & One Punch Man.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Jack looks like he just doesn't have time for anyone's shit anymore.

C4_ADTc0_Vc_AIe_Zxd.jpg

Rather ironic considering he might be immortal.
that looks nothing like a samurai. he doesn't even have a sword

i'll be sticking with my more historically correct samurais with Champloo. Let's go rewatch the episode where they played baseball against the americans.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ah. That's what you call different enough but still faithful.

Regular Cartoon Network hasn't worked out how to do that yet.

Well, it's still Genndy so of course it's faithful. There's literally no way for it not to be.

Bringing the original creative team back goes a long way.

Well, it's still Genndy so of course it's faithful. There's literally no way for it not to be.

Bringing the original creative team back goes a long way.

And If it weren't on Toonami but instead the normal Cartoon Network I can promise you that they wouldn't have bothered getting the original creative team back.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Snagglepuss was always playing stereotypically gay and was always being chased as the core concept of the show. They just upped the stakes a bit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
YEEEESSSSS. One of the few movies I was originally excited for & I remember having a big smile on my face when watching the first in theaters.

Uhhh....huh.....

....Exxiiittt? Staaggee leeefffftttt?

From what I know, it's not a reboot, it's one of those "alternate universe" short comic things.
Oh, well I guess that kind of makes more sense, especially if they feel like they've got something to say about the current state of the world....but still such a weird turn to make for one of those Hanna-Barbara cartoons to take.

This would be like if they decided "ya know, let's take Jabberjaw & make him more serious, give him a gritty reboot, because that's what the fans want"

Seda

Still making my way through Zeta Gundam. Just watched the episode where
Char give a speech in Dakar, and I can't help but think how much better this was carried out compared to Kudelia's 'speech' on Dort. The Dakar speech wasn't, like, magnificent or anything (mostly because the Titans are little more cartoon villains, mostly) but a heck of a lot more effective than whatever IBOs was supposed to be.

The re-imagining of The Flintstones that writer did along similar lines is fucking great, btw. There was a thread about it somewhere.

HStallion

Snagglepuss was always playing stereotypically gay and was always being chased as the core concept of the show. They just upped the stakes a bit.

I was going to say this. He was always portrayed in a certain light but they could never go that far with it because of the times. It was alluded to but never called out directly. That said the new comic basically just finishes turning Snagglepuss into a pink Tennessee Williams.

bigkrev

The re-imagining of The Flintstones that writer did along similar lines is fucking great, btw. There was a thread about it somewhere.

Every year, around Free Comic Book Day, I get back into physical comics for like 3 months and discover something crazy. Flintstones was that book last year, and it was fucking -wild-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom