• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

People are probably checking out of JoJo BECAUSE of Part 1 tbh. If it started as weird and exciting as Part 2, I think it might have done a tad better.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Perhaps people will come back once Part 3 airs since people will recognize "YEAH, THAT'S the Jojo I remember with all the punching ghosts!!"

I still wish Part 2 got a promo to help show how different it was from Part 1. But at the very least, they gave it unique bumps & such.

I'm just glad everyone here is enjoying Part 2.

Regiruler

People are probably checking out of JoJo BECAUSE of Part 1 tbh. If it started as weird and exciting as Part 2, I think it might have done a tad better.

Part 1 has better characters than Part 2.

Speedwagon is nowhere near as hype as he used to be and the villains aren't really doing it like Dio.

Chase17

I don't think part 3 will be bringing anyone back in if most have the same reaction to it as me (which certainly isn't a guarantee lol). Maybe it's because I thought part 2 was so good.

It's fine, but it's just a big step down (although I've heard it gets better, and it has started to. Slowly worked my wat to episode 17 now).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
but part 2 has joseph & mr. bubble salad

Part 3 has its moments (especially later on), though the anime did drag out a few fights, but it's still a decent part. It'll still make for a great group watch.

For me personally, Part 4 is waaaay more enjoyable since I feel like it's similar to Part 2 where Araki found his "groove" & just started to get more crazy with what powers people have & perfecting what he introduced in the previous part.

Viz was apparently doing a blu ray for Phantom Blood, does anyone know what happened with that?
That's the thing, I've been trying to keep an eye on any updates for S1 (well, Parts 1 & 2 since they seem to be releasing in parts instead of seasons, which hopefully means Part 3 will be one release instead of split into two seasons like the TV airing) of Jojo on Blu-Ray, but NOTHING. After they announced the news on July 1st, there hasn't been any updates.

zulux21

Perhaps people will come back once Part 3 airs since people will recognize "YEAH, THAT'S the Jojo I remember with all the punching ghosts!!"

I had no idea that jojo had punching ghosts and that persona is basically a jojo rpg until after I started watching part 3.

jojo just doesn't have much mainstream appeal in the west at all.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
For some reason, Part 3 was the only one that Viz originally localized back in the day, not to mention the Capcom fighter & that OVA. Hence why that's the one most people are familiar with.

Hell, I had no idea there were other parts when I first discovered the Part 3 manga. I think it was the announcement of the anime for Parts 1 & 2 years later that I then discovered "OH SHIT, THIS IS A MULTI-PART SERIES THAT'S STILL GOING?!?!"

Also how does a series named after huge bands famous in America not take off? We have a villain named after AC/DC, that's awesome.

bigkrev

Back from Ghost in the Shell

The movie is super interesting visually but it's such a trainwreck of a movie. Everyone in the theater (60+ people- way more than for One Piece Gold or Yu-gi-oh) just seemed confused when the credits rolled. I am now sure that the ScarJo led Hollywood version of the movie will be a better film than the original.

If nothing else, it was good to see it on a big screen when my previous experience with the movie was on a PSP Screen on an airplane in 2008?

C4HA6KoW8AIq_AN.jpg

Yes, I imported the SAC game before it got a USA release. I got it with my copy of Bleach Heat the Soul 2 for some reason lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Same thing happened with me when I watched that GitS Arise movie. I felt like I should've enjoyed it, but also felt like most of what was being talked about went over my head, the main reason why I haven't tried watching the original film yet.

I had a similar feeling towards SAC, but with that, I could still see the appeal of it with its futuristic setting & such. I felt like "this is probably popular, but just not something I can fully understand due to being a teen, maybe when I'm older".

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Every time I enter a podcast it balloons up to two hours :(
YouTube says it's one hour, 13 minutes. Either way, the longer the better, helps give me more to listen to during work the pass the time & makes it more fun to hear you guys.

I should look ahead & see what episodes are airing. It's been a while since I partook in the podcast, but I also recognize I feel like I tend to have the least to say about most of the shows (aside from maybe Jojo). Hell, I don't even know how I could contribute to the Gundam discussion. Though I also have trouble trying to say anything because I feel like I gotta wait for my turn or I'm gonna interrupt someone.

....also I will never get used to hearing the sound of my voice recorded.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes. Yes it is, & props to Funimation for using two of some of the funniest moments from the show in the trailer. It's one of those "clip show" animes where someone posts a clip from YouTube, learn the name, look at more clips, then watch the series.

I'm already on episode 7, much longer than I was expecting to watch today, & I've been laughing every episode despite already seeing the series (despite it being back in 2011) & have certain scenes in my mind that I like to show people to convince them to check the show out.

Easily one of my favorite anime comedies along side Panty & Stocking, Cromartie High, Azumanga Daioh, Daily Life of Highschool Boys, & a few more that I'm probably forgetting at the moment. The animation & how it handles the deliveries of the punchlines & facial reactions are fantastic. Not to mention it has a nice art style to help it make it stand out more.

Obviously, comedy is much more subjective when it comes to a person's opinions, but if you enjoy surreal anime humor (but not "hur hur panty shots" pervy humor, because there's almost none of that at all), this is seriously one to check out, especially if you like the clips floatin' around on YouTube.

Regiruler

Back from Ghost in the Shell

The movie is super interesting visually but it's such a trainwreck of a movie. Everyone in the theater (60+ people- way more than for One Piece Gold or Yu-gi-oh) just seemed confused when the credits rolled. I am now sure that the ScarJo led Hollywood version of the movie will be a better film than the original.

If nothing else, it was good to see it on a big screen when my previous experience with the movie was on a PSP Screen on an airplane in 2008?

Such an overrated movie. People who compare it to Akira are insane.

The universe seems fine so maybe some of the alternative material is better.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh, also, Nichijou has this:

ca673eb559740a6c507ff5f90a0a1842.gif

That automatically makes it a must-watch.

....no I'm not giving you the context.

....also this:

8620_c56d.gif

Such an overrated movie. People who compare it to Akira are insane.

The universe seems fine so maybe some of the alternative material is better.
It's probably why the series works better as a TV series compared to trying to draw out a movie by keeping trying to be all philosophical & wants you to try to "figure out its meaning" or whatever. Even when SAC tries to do stuff like that, at least it's easier to hand in smaller 24 minute chunks with action & such to break it up.

Really, it should only be compared to Akira in terms of visual quality. Though Akira suffers from the fact it was trying to cram as much from the manga as possible but still left some stuff out.

Though me personally, I don't tend to be all "look deeper into the meaning of what the movie is trying to say" when I watch something. I'm usually more "face value", especially with stuff similar to GitS or Gundam where I feel like most of it just bounces off me or goes over my head, especially when it decides to be political.

ckohler

Episode 43 "No Vegeta-ing of Any Kind"
This week Grexeno, B-Dubs, ckohler and Raxus discuss the new Samurai Jack trailer, other show revivals, great DBZ villains, super saiyan sex, Jojo's narrator, more universal century, no chill grandmas, Ben 10, and beachball whales.

Audio:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/Episode043.mp3

Timecodes:
0:00:22 Samurai Jack Trailer
0:22:24 DB Super
0:29:34 DBZ Kai
0:35:28 Jojo
0:41:36 Gundam Unicorn
0:48:52 HxH
0:57:36 Shippuden
1:01:15 One Piece
1:07:24 GITS Brief Discussion

You can subscribe in your podcast app using this address:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/podcast.rss

Moaradin

I don't know how.
I could see the movie getting props for having better artistic design but the tv series handily defeats it in story and music.

I dunno, it just stuck with me more. Visually it's amazing and I loved the chill, introspective atmosphere. The opening sequence is still the best thing in the franchise.

edit: things got weird

zulux21

seda nuked my post :(
I mean I know why because of my answer and him nuking his own post but still lol.

*posts the bit that should have been fine*

I still like the original Ghost in the Shell movie more than SAC.
I don't know how.
I could see the movie getting props for having better artistic design but the tv series handily defeats it in story and music.

Yes. Yes it is, & props to Funimation for using two of some of the funniest moments from the show in the trailer. It's one of those "clip show" animes where someone posts a clip from YouTube, learn the name, look at more clips, then watch the series..

if those are two of the funniest moments then maybe I will refrain from watching it even though i have been told to because they weren't funny at all.

deleted some posts, apologies

It's all good. I know why you did it. though it does have me curious... *PMs seda a question*

Moaradin

This week Grexeno, B-Dubs, ckohler and Raxus discuss the new Samurai Jack trailer, other show revivals, great DBZ villains, super saiyan sex, Jojo's narrator, more universal century, no chill grandmas, Ben 10, and beachball whales.

Audio:

Timecodes:

Surprised nobody knew who voiced King Kai

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait, what got deleted?

if those are two of the funniest moments then maybe I will refrain from watching it even though i have been told to because they weren't funny at all.
*shrugs* As mentioned, comedy is very subjective. If it's not doing it for you, then fair enough, series probably isn't for you.

Same way I understand how the comedy in OPM doesn't click with Bass. If the humor in a comedy doesn't click, then there's not much else to watch/stick around for.

Seda

I deleted a post that was a manga panel with a watermark to a piracy site. Basically, it's okay to post manga panels, as long as you don't post entire chapters or link/point towards places you can pirate them (so, no watermarks).

Kinda the same thing with soundtracks. It's certainly okay to post music from a game or show as long as you don't point a link to a full OST download or whatnot.

I deleted a post that was a manga panel with a watermark to a piracy site. Basically, it's okay to post manga panels, as long as you don't post entire chapters or link/point towards places you can pirate them (so, no watermarks).

That too lol.

I pulled it from a google search so I wasnt sure if it was bad or not. I understand now. :p

They were deleted because Naruto is terrible duh. Bleach panels should be bannable

What about Fairy Tail?

Seda

I finished Zeta Gundam. Overall I think it's better than the original show. A little bit more creative, more dynamic. However, 95% of the drama is bad. Not just sorta bad, but really curiously bad.

Katz was nearly insufferable. Reccoa's motives were incomprehensible, I have no idea why they entertained Rosamia for so long. Kamille was an okay protag otherwise. The best character was Emma.

The way the show ends I suppose I have to watch ZZ now, huh.

Crocodile

Audio:

Timecodes:

Huh that Samurai Jack section looks meaty. I'm also surprised this episode wasn't called "Fucking Bubbles!" :p

cntr

Banned
Just started listening to the podcast, and you guys might mention it later, but: there's two versions of the trailer, and one of them has Toonami at the end, not just Adult Swim.

Moaradin

Haven't seen the Toonami version anywhere

I hope we get a good lineup promo when Jack starts. I imagine a lot of people will be tuning in just for Jack, so I'm sure Toonami wants as many people to stick around as possible.

cntr

Banned
Yeah neither have I, but multiple people have mentioned it, so it probably aired somewhere

I don't think Adult Swim draws a sharp distinction between itself and Toonami anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom