• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

That general reminds me too much of Guld from Macross Plus. Same voice actor too.

latest

the strict anti-war stance of some Gundam shows has always struck me as odd for a franchise that heavily glamorizes its weapons of war/destruction/death/whatever

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's not a good sign that this show makes me feel tired.....& I work the night shift, so I normally stay up until 7 a.m.

At least GitS has self-contained stories for the most part & is a bit easier to understand at times

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Okay.

I just can't care about this show anymore.

It's whatever.

Maybe I'll come back after I've watched the other Gundam shows but... it's just nonsense to me right now.

the strict anti-war stance of some Gundam shows has always struck me as odd for a franchise that heavily glamorizes its weapons of war/destruction/death/whatever

It's what I found weird about War in the Pocket. Like, I think it's the best work of the UC, but at the same time it's also a massive indictment of the entire Franchise.

cntr

Banned
II know the Gundam X protagonist was really good. He was chill and basically had no angst or philosophical bullshit.

unfortunately, Japan didn't agree, and got X cancelled in favor of SEED. So Gundam protagonists ended up being based on Kira Yamato, including Bananager here.

Mikazuki was the first protagonist to actually break the trend, and that saved IBO from being truly awful

Crocodile

I mean feeling hesitation or remorse over killing is a standard, common and real life human emotion but anime so rarely executes it well or in a way that makes me like the character. This is no exception.

My favorite Gundam protagonist is Dr. Eggman because he pilots his Gundams specifically because he loves war. He'd proudly sell them toys for ya.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh hey, christian symbolism to make it seem like it has deeper meaning but was most likely inserted because it'd look cooler.

....like in Evangelion.

I mean feeling hesitation or remorse over killing is a standard, common and real life human emotion but anime so rarely executes it well or in a way that makes me like the character. This is no exception.

Kinda in the same boat. In some cases it makes the protag look hypocritical.

cntr

Banned
"earthnoid" and "spacenoid" are the Gundam terms for earthlings and spacers. it probably sounds better in Japanese.
Ironically as a consequence of this, G Gundam has the most coherent and consistent political stance of any Gundam show

Moaradin

I think I'm just coming to the realization that Gundam politics are just super boring in general. And I'm not inherently against anime politics. Legend of the Galactic Heroes has way more politics than this and it's one of my favorite shows ever. It's just way more interesting.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"earthnoid" and "spacenoid" are the Gundam terms for earthlings and spacers. it probably sounds better in Japanese.
Ironically as a consequence of this, G Gundam has the most coherent and consistent political stance of any Gundam show

Just like every character name.
Stupid in English, cool in Japanese.

I think I'm just coming to the realization that Gundam politics are just super boring in general. And I'm not inherently against anime politics. Legend of the Galactic Heroes has way more politics than this and it's one of my favorite shows ever. It's just way more interesting.

it just seems like there's little of actual substance here tbh

In general, politics in anime vary widely from being intriguing or just utter nonsense. I'm sure this is the former for longtime UC fans but it feels like the latter for me.

Ashby

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

cntr

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes has actual space politics, like Babylon 5 or Deep Space 9. Gundam has anime politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom