• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regiruler

You must pass the 3 trials to become a fully fledged ToonamiGAF member

Test #1: Count all the times Trump Card is said in Akame ga Kill
Test #2: Watch all of SAO, both seasons
Test #3: Endure the entirety of the Cell Arc & make it out alive....or watch Tenchi Muyo GXP

Who on earth would take option 3-2? Cell arc isn't that terrible.

I don't know School Days kinda scarred me for life on anime romance stories. Just seeing a vanilla protag and cute girl in an obvious romance setup gives me flashbacks.

Anyway on a more toonami topic if there was one thing i would gladly pay money to fund when it comes to the presentation at least, it would be a toonami intro in the style of cowboy bebop, ya know just have Tank! play in the background and stuff.

eb868fee8544f16d63f336192ed8963942c0c0e8_hq.gif
Fucking school days....fffffffffuuuuuuuuuu
YO DIS THREE TIMING PIECE OF FUCKING MONKEY SHIT!
GO TO HELL AND DIE MOTHERFUCKER OWN THAT SHIT AND DIE
I have...no love for Makoto...

cntr

Banned
The funniest bit is that the School Days VN has several positive endings, but the anime chose to adapt the
murder
ending. And I can only imagine they did that because they hated Makoto that much too.

Well Makoto was a debaucherous sack of shit with no redeeming factors and his ignored waifu was motherfucking bat shit and his for the time being preferred one couldn't be honest about her god damn feeling so fuck that entire motherfucking god damn cast.

Morlas

Yeah thats pretty much how i reacted back when i first watched it, I've calmed down about it since then, but yeah never again....definitely not.

Moaradin

You can play School Days completely safe and boring and have Makoto not be a giant piece of shit, even though the game definitely tries to lead you in that direction.

Yeah thats pretty much how i reacted back when i first watched it, I've calmed down about it since then, but yeah never again....definitely not.
I watched it last month and I'm still instantly triggered just by hearing the title.
You can play School Days completely safe and boring and have Makoto not be a giant piece of shit, even though the game definitely tries to lead you in that direction.
Based on the anime being a shitheel is just his natural character trajectory.

Yeah, I figured as much. I have only heard about stuff from School Days since my brother watched. Oh and the whole "Nice Boat" thing.

The only thing i remember about the spy kids movies is the terrible cg.

Really reminds me of the whole 3D gimmick with the terrible CG in Spy Kids 3D: Game Over.

Nothing will be as bad as his other movie, Sharkboy and Lavagirl, though. Never saw it, but I've seen various clips and the CG in that is just *pukes* from what I can remember. There's probably worse, but yeah...

I liked the first spy kids well enough since it somewhat felt like a movie about kid spies trying to save the day with a mixture of kid smarts and spy gadgets.

2 and 3 just turned into weird adventure films where the spy element was almost entirely lip service to explain the cool tech they had.

Morlas

I remember CN playing the second spy kids movie a lot during their 'real' phase, it was kinda annoying seeing all that live action on the block for so long, and i'm glad they stopped doing that so much.

Also more on topic, I can not wait to see people's reaction to One Piece this saturday, it's gonna be great.

CN Real. Can't believe they actually thought that was a good idea.

They seemed like they were just chasing Nick and Disney when Nick had their popular Dan Schneider shows (Drake and Josh, iCarly, Victorious, etc) and Disney had a few popular life action shows like Hannah Montana. It obviously didn't work and it ended up allowing stuff like Adventure Time, Regular Show and Gumball to come out later when they dumped the CN Real stuff. They still had stuff like Destroy, Build, Destroy and Man in a Hole for a while though. Plus, they had that All That! ripoff show that kept going on for a bit.

Jarate

Banned
Shipping is the worst thing on earth. Im still confounded over how people care about childrens cartoon characters romantic involvements enough where it "ruins" an ending.

Jarate

Banned
I mean, ive never seen school days before, but isn't the purpose of the character is for him to be a complete piece of shit?

Shipping is the worst thing on earth. Im still confounded over how people care about childrens cartoon characters romantic involvements enough where it "ruins" an ending.

It could also ruin the story or quality of the product when it devolves into "Who gets with who?" I don't mind romances and shipping if the ship/romance is done well. Hell, I don't typically like romance animes or stories, but one of my favorites, if not my favorite, far as anime goes (Eureka Seven) is a romance and I feel that aspect is done well.

Naruto is one series where shipping is still affecting some fans today once the manga ended, but the romance in general was just so poorly done that I don't really think most of the relationships are that good in general or were fleshed out at all. Romance was never a selling point of the manga, but people still kept up their ships... I don't really care since it's just a fictional story, but I can point out at how well done or how bad it was done in the end.

Jarate

Banned
There's a huge huge difference between having a romance story and "shipping"

Shipping is fan made theories about who's boning or going to bone. Romance is Romance

Shipping is just on the level of waifu-ism to me, and I think it gets a huge pass among regular media consumers as being harmless, but it fucks with a community like ive never seen before. The drama also lasts forever.

But still, even if romances are done poorly, then that's just horrid writing, which is pretty par for the course for Naruto. (I dont mind people enjoying Naruto even though I absolutely loathe it) Like, Kishimoto is a terrible writer, do you honestly think he'd be able to do romances well? He can barely write a functioning plot

I think it's time for you to turn in your otaku card.

Im not an otaku, as I just kind of like animation and comics. Im stuck with anime because western action animation has been in a free fall for years. I also don't really like western action shows comedy, which is fucking awful most of the time. I do intend to watch it at some point though, but I generally watch anime with my gf, and she never really seemed interested in watching it.

Mizerman

They seemed like they were just chasing Nick and Disney when Nick had their popular Dan Schneider shows (Drake and Josh, iCarly, Victorious, etc) and Disney had a few popular life action shows like Hannah Montana. It obviously didn't work and it ended up allowing stuff like Adventure Time, Regular Show and Gumball to come out later when they dumped the CN Real stuff. They still had stuff like Destroy, Build, Destroy and Man in a Hole for a while though. Plus, they had that All That! ripoff show that kept going on for a bit.

On one hand, I can kinda understand why they would go that route on a pure business logic. On another hand, they had to know that Disney and Nick were not purely cartoon channels from the get go. I mean they had cartoons, live action and other stuff from the beginning. CN was purely a cartoon based network from the start.

There's a huge huge difference between having a romance story and "shipping"

Shipping is fan made theories about who's boning or going to bone. Romance is Romance

Shipping is just on the level of waifu-ism to me, and I think it gets a huge pass among regular media consumers as being harmless, but it fucks with a community like ive never seen before. The drama also lasts forever.

But still, even if romances are done poorly, then that's just horrid writing, which is pretty par for the course for Naruto. (I dont mind people enjoying Naruto even though I absolutely loathe it) Like, Kishimoto is a terrible writer, do you honestly think he'd be able to do romances well? He can barely write a functioning plot

Yeah, agreed. I definitely think I could have worded my post better and differentiated romance and shipping, since they typically aren't the same until the ships are real. I agree with Naruto having pretty bad writing at times as someone that actively read the series for a long time and owned a ton of the manga.

Things like books, anime, movies, manga, etc get people invested in characters and plots, but when it devolves into obsession and wanting things to go a certain way because of being obsessed with say shipping, I just say back off, breathe a little, it's not the end of the world, etc. I understand getting invested in a story or game, but don't let it make you only think about that game or product all the time because the outcome of a fictional relationship didn't go your way.

On one hand, I can kinda understand why they would go that route on a pure business logic. On another hand, they had to know that Disney and Nick were not purely cartoon channels from the get go. I mean they had cartoons, live action and other stuff from the beginning. CN was purely a cartoon based network from the start.

I mean, a lot stuff CN has done is for promoting actions figures/merchandise primarily and I think they just thought they could make live-action stuff to broaden their reach and make their network not all about cartoons. I mean, most of what CN has produced has been because it was a business first. As long as it gets people's attention and gets good views, that's all that matters.

I mean, ive never seen school days before, but isn't the purpose of the character is for him to be a complete piece of shit?

Not exactly. Since School Days was a Dating Sim, the bad endings were just meant as punishment for fucking up and two-timing. Since characters died in crazy ways in those endings, it ironically became what the games were known for and the anime decided to go all in with it.

Jarate

Banned
Not exactly. Since School Days was a Dating Sim, the bad endings were just meant as punishment for fucking up and two-timing. Since characters died in crazy ways in those endings, it ironically became what the games were known for and the anime decided to go all in with it.

I meant the anime.

Josh5890

I liked the first spy kids well enough since it somewhat felt like a movie about kid spies trying to save the day with a mixture of kid smarts and spy gadgets.

2 and 3 just turned into weird adventure films where the spy element was almost entirely lip service to explain the cool tech they had.

A studio takes a somewhat successful film and whores it out to the children who love anything and everything. That was typical of the 90's-2000's, although it still happens today. Does Disney still do a lot of "direct to video" films? They were notorious for that starting in the mid 90's.

Mizerman

A studio takes a somewhat successful film and whores it out to the children who love anything and everything. That was typical of the 90's-2000's, although it still happens today. Does Disney still do a lot of "direct to video" films? They were notorious for that starting in the mid 90's.

Oh yeah. Although, their last direct to video was almost two years ago.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
He doesn't like DB all that much, Zonic is just watching it for completion sake at this point.
wut

I like DB

It's DBZ that tests patience with how it just doesn't want to end

But I haven't seen DBGT so maybe that's worse

& DBBoG was good & gave me hope its source material was equally enjoyable

Which is what DBS seems to be so far

Mizerman

wut

I like DB

Trust me, you're better off not watching.

wut

I like DB

Just mentioning GT gives me traumatic flashbacks of what the series was on a reel with the English dub opening "Step Into the Grand Tour" playing repeatedly... Man, that song was annoying...

I'm sorry, but I don't want to step into the grand tour, guys!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Even as a kid, that series did nothing for me. Especially the 3rd one, which I figured "IT'S ABOUT VIDEO GAMES, SO IT'LL BE AWESOME!"

...& I think it was these posts that caused the tangent.

I wonder if Spy Kids 3-D was better than SAO

i watched the end of Spy Kids 2 a week or two ago and BOY does that movie not hold up at all

I only recall the original Spy Kids supposedly being good, but I wonder how that holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom