• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't help Spy Kids is weird for me, because I've seen most of Robert Rodriguez's films like El Mariachi, Sin City, Machete and From Dusk till Dawn. Going from Spy Kids to some of his other films (besides Sharkboy and Lavagirl) is total whiplash.

Line_HTX

C4qJeEbWcAAHQFr.jpg

38EfMh8.gif

DansGame

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Was at Walmart this morning checking to see what random anime they had & saw Jojo S1 for only $15. On the one hand, for that price, would be nice since Viz hasn't said anything.

....but then I remember just how awful the menus & overall presentation is.

Morlas

I thought it was agreed that there was only igpx on toonami. Kinda wish there was a 3rd season I feel like it would have been legitimately good.

tenchi gxp is both terrible and boring

bigkrev

Was at Walmart this morning checking to see what random anime they had & saw Jojo S1 for only $15. On the one hand, for that price, would be nice since Viz hasn't said anything.

....but then I remember just how awful the menus & overall presentation is.

Isn't that a DVD? Who the hell buys DVDs in 2017?!?

Moaradin

Just watched the Guardian episode of Samurai Jack. Even though this dude only shows up for single episode and has like 5 minutes of screen time, he sure does leave an impact. Really hope he shows up in the new season.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Isn't that a DVD? Who the hell buys DVDs in 2017?!?
Yes, it was DVD only, which was another negative. Thankfully, Viz is releasing it on Blu-Ray.

I question the same thing, especially since my copy of Nichijou came with DVDs along with the Blu-Ray. Why include an outdated form of media when I'm buying the current media format, especially when the content is the same but in a lower quality.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've got maybe four episodes of Rock Lee and his Ninja Pals left. Besides the VA change it's pretty much the perfect Naruto experience. 50 episodes of Twenty. Of Rock Lee thinking Genjutsu means skits. Of Yamato creepily photobombing every episode. Of everyone trying to hook up Naruto and Hinata. Of Orochimaru being a bumbling Saturday Morning cartoon villain. Of Shino and Kiba being totally forgotten.

bigkrev

Yes, it was DVD only, which was another negative. Thankfully, Viz is releasing it on Blu-Ray.

I question the same thing, especially since my copy of Nichijou came with DVDs along with the Blu-Ray. Why include an outdated form of media when I'm buying the current media format, especially when the content is the same but in a lower quality.

It made sense at a point when laptops still had DVD drives so you had a copy to watch on the go, and it still makes sense today for kids movies so they can watch in the car. But yeah, I have a billion DVDs in BR cases I'm never going to touch

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've got maybe four episodes of Rock Lee and his Ninja Pals left. Besides the VA change it's pretty much the perfect Naruto experience. 50 episodes of Twenty. Of Rock Lee thinking Genjutsu means skits. Of Yamato creepily photobombing every episode. Of everyone trying to hook up Naruto and Hinata. Of Orochimaru being a bumbling Saturday Morning cartoon villain. Of Shino and Kiba being totally forgotten.

It's the best Naruto related thing ever made by quite a bit.

Well shit...that sound like the type of 'Naruto' I'd actually watch

It made sense at a point when laptops still had DVD drives so you had a copy to watch on the go, and it still makes sense today for kids movies so they can watch in the car. But yeah, I have a billion DVDs in BR cases I'm never going to touch

i think it's nice when you potentially go to someone's place that doesn't have a Blu-ray player, which ends up being pretty useful

in a more general sense, i believe (and i might be wrong because i don't remember exactly where i heard this) the extra cost for DVDs is pretty much negligible compared to remaining a viable purchase for people who either don't have Blu-Ray players or only have one in their homes yet multiple TVs to play a movie on

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not to mention we've reached a point where Blu-Ray players (& HDTVs for that matter) aren't that expensive anymore compared to when they first came out. Hell, I technically have two of them via my PS3 & PS4. Back during the earlier years of the 2010's, I can understand (heck, I didn't get my first HDTV until 2010 & even then, it wasn't until I moved into my apartment late last year that I actually got HD channels...but I did get HDMI cables for my 360 & daammmnnn such an upgrade), but in this day & age, I don't have any desire for DVDs anymore unless I absolutely can't get it on Blu-Ray.

My friend said "Well, you could let a friend borrow the DVD version while you keep the Blu-Ray", which I kind of can understand, but at the same time, I wouldn't want to borrow the DVD version, I want Blu-Ray for the higher quality & there's less discs to worry about when more episodes can fit on a BD vs. DVD.

....also, note to self, listen to the OP part of the podcast to see how my Brook impression turned out, I hate how I listen to myself only to realize "....OH GOD, that's not how I intended my voice to sound like!! Why does it sound so off?!"

Speaking of Blue Exorcist, stuff actually happened in this week's episode.

It was the first episode that entertained me consistently.
Ya know, I was originally thinking to myself what the previous "nothing" show (i.e. this show offers up no emotions in response to its existence aside from "zzzzz") was before Gundam, & I almost wanted to say it was Blue Exorcist, but that show at least had moments like the comedy actually being rather funny & bringing us lines like "YOU GONNA KILL ME WITH THOSE TITS?!" between what felt like a rather generic shonen at times.

i think it's nice when you potentially go to someone's place that doesn't have a Blu-ray player, which ends up being pretty useful

in a more general sense, i believe (and i might be wrong because i don't remember exactly where i heard this) the extra cost for DVDs is pretty much negligible compared to remaining a viable purchase for people who either don't have Blu-Ray players or only have one in their homes yet multiple TVs to play a movie on
I can understand that side of the argument (especially for older people who don't keep up with technology &/or those who feel like they can't see a difference). But as someone who can see the difference (I remember having to use composite cables again for my 360 & goodddd the downgrade was clear as day), I want to stick with HDMI & Blu-Ray quality.

Hell, I'm so used to HDMI, I almost don't want to hook up my older systems that use composite or component cables until I can find a decently priced upscaler so it doesn't look so washed out on my 43" HDTV.

zulux21

AbsolutelyDisgusting.jpg

I get it, aniplex series are expensive as fuck the struggle is real

yeah... disk 2 blu ray was sold out sadly.
and I wanted the nice box that came with disk 1 and the dvd of disk 1 was sold out anyways >.<:

I figured for $20 I could deal with the mixed disks to own blue exorcist.

Aniplex's prices is why I have never gotten stuff like Fate Zero, Gurren Lagann and Monogatari Series sets... It really sucks. I was lucky to get the complete series of Full Metal Alchemist on Bluray when Funimation still had rights to distribute it.

i bought Brotherhood on Blu-ray real fucking quick once Funimation announced they were losing the license

I got Part 2 of Brotherhood on DVD because I found it cheap. Never found Part 1 and when I did, it was the internet for a lot of money so I'll probably never have a complete set of Brotherhood unless I get lucky.

Aniplex's prices is why I have never gotten stuff like Fate Zero, Gurren Lagann and Monogatari Series sets... It really sucks. I was lucky to get the complete series of Full Metal Alchemist on Bluray when Funimation still had rights to distribute it.

The absolute worse was them charging like $50 for the 25-minute Persona 5 OVA. Or splitting up Erased into two separate volumes for $100+ a pop. Fuck that noise.

I got Part 2 of Brotherhood on DVD because I found it cheap. Never found Part 1 and when I did, it was the internet for a lot of money so I'll probably never have a complete set of Brotherhood unless I get lucky.

Maybe the the Free release means that Aniplex will be open with renegotating the Distribution License with Funimation again. I know Crunchyroll actually has the streaming rights so they ironically enough have Funimation's dub on their service.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Seriously. Aniplex is easily the most expensive, even if the majority of their dubs tend to be rather good to "equal" the value. It's just too damn expensive to own an entire series, especially when they only offer it via a "special edition" that just drives the value up.

The absolute worse was them charging like $50 for the 25-minute Persona 5 OVA. Fuck that noise.
Are you freakin' serious? That's literally $2 per minute to watch the damn thing. Even worse, the only bonuses are an interview with the creators & VAs and a drama CD WHICH YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND BECAUSE IT'LL BE IN JAPANESE.

Hell, that's a freakin' bonus that should've been added for the Persona 5 LE.

Are you freakin' serious? That's literally $2 per minute to watch the damn thing. Even worse, the only bonuses are an interview with the creators & VAs and a drama CD WHICH YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND BECAUSE IT'LL BE IN JAPANESE.

Yeah, Aniplex's pricing model is the fucking worse. I just editted my original post, but their pricing for Erased was just as crazy.

The absolute worse was them charging like $50 for the 25-minute Persona 5 OVA. Fuck that noise.

Yeah, that was really bad... All of their sets and series collections are pricey since they always contain these extras I don't need for the price they have the sets at...

Maybe the the Free release means that Aniplex will be open with renegotating the Distribution License with Funimation again. I know Crunchyroll actually has the streaming rights so they ironically enough have Funimation's dub on their service.

I hope so. I would like to have the complete series for sure, but I don't want to spend a lot for Part 1.

Speaking of Funimation, they stated they got home video rights for Seven Deadly Sins and it looks like they are teasing Go-Sick with an obvious hint. Good news for people that like those series! Now, I'm hoping for Funimation to get Outlaw Star like they got Eureka Seven and Code Geass, all former Bandai distributed anime.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
They split up Kill la Kill into 5 episodes each for $40 on Blu-Ray, $30 for DVD.

.....that means to own all 25 episodes (& that includes the OVA one that didn't air on Toonami) on DVD, you'd have to spend $150, or $200 FOR BLU-DAY.

What's that, you want to own the Limited Editions for Kill la Kill that have Blu-Ray, DVD, & extra stuff like postcards & the soundtracks? Well that's $60 each, for a grand total of $300 for a 25 episode series.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Aniplex is the only major American dub house that has a Japanese branch right?
That is correct, & I recall their logic for their high prices is to ensure there isn't any "reverse importing", i.e. Japanese fans buying the versions from the US because they're cheaper.

Chase17

Just caught up on last week's hxh. I forgot how amazing Gings message is.
Roughly
"If I sense you coming, I will make myself scarce"

So good.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Aniplex is the only major American dub house that has a Japanese branch right?

Yep.

At this point, the big American Distributors left are Funimation, Sentai Filmworks (bleh), Viz, and Aniplex. There's also Discotek, but outside of Lupin they only scoop up older series and the scraps the other companies don't bother with.

But like Zonic said, said Aniplex is an arm of a Japanese Company they also use Japanese pricing models for their releases.

They split up Kill la Kill into 5 episodes each for $40 on Blu-Ray, $30 for DVD.

.....that means to own all 25 episodes (& that includes the OVA one that didn't air on Toonami) on DVD, you'd have to spend $150, or $200 FOR BLU-DAY.

What's that, you want to own the Limited Editions for Kill la Kill that have Blu-Ray, DVD, & extra stuff like postcards & the soundtracks? Well that's $60 each, for a grand total of $300 for a 25 episode series.

That is correct, & I recall their logic for their high prices is to ensure there isn't any "reverse importing", i.e. Japanese fans buying the versions from the US because they're cheaper.
I'm never going to own Kill La Kill on Blu Ray, probably cheaper to just import or Ebay Macross Frontier on Blu Ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom