• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Got my preorder in through Target, they were the only place I could find that wasn't completely sold out. My only regret is I had to get the gray one. Shipping says I get it on the 3rd, maybe I should have ordered Zelda too...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The GameStop I went to had 50+ allocated but you couldn't get the neon one.

Damn, that one seems like it's going fast. I should have put in a preorder at BestBuy last night. Judging by how fast this is selling out the hype might be real.

EDIT: Fuck it, got Zelda too.

Crocodile

I have to wonder if the people complaining about the price are without jobs.
Just set a little aside each pay day and you'll have enough.

This sounds a bit too much like "Launch PS3s aren't that expensive!" talk :p

I personally feel all the official accessories are like $10 overpriced.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This sounds a bit too much like "Launch PS3s aren't that expensive!" talk :p

I personally feel all the official accessories are like $10 overpriced.

Agreed. Honestly, the Switch feels about $50 too expensive but I haven't actually held it or played it yet so I can't say that for sure.

I will say I was shocked by how much they're packing into those joycons though. I mean holy shit, they're like little wiimote+es with all the tech they've got in there. You can definitely tell they're already looking ahead to VR gaming with those.

Chase17

Xenoblade 2 still has me really excited. Love the first game (well and I really like what I've played of xbx). Really surprised that they are listing it as 2017 for NA. XBX came out here just 13 months ago. Hopefully that means even with a delay it will be early 2018.

Yeah I don't buy Xenoblade 2 being 2017. I'd probably jump on a Switch earlier if it was.

Though now I have to decide if I should finally grit my teeth and figure out all the systems of Xenoblade X or not

Personally I don't buy systems anymore until the prices for released games that I want exceeds the system price, and the Switch definitely won't have that at launch or for a while afterwards.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah I don't buy Xenoblade 2 being 2017. I'd probably jump on a Switch earlier if it was.

Though now I have to decide if I should finally grit my teeth and figure out all the systems of Xenoblade X or not

Personally I don't buy systems anymore until the prices for released games that I want exceeds the system price, and the Switch definitely won't have that at launch or for a while afterwards.

That's generally how I handle it, but in this case I'm also considering what we know is coming eventually. Like, we know there's going to be a Pokemon game. We know Xenoblade 2 will happen soon. Combine that with Zelda, Arms, and Splatoon 2 and it made sense for me.

bigkrev

Yeah, Xenoblade stands a good chance of slipping. I think Splatoon is safe- my guess is it was planned for launch window, but got pushed back to ensure it doesn't need to get delayed/ship broken. Mario is a lock for October.

Chase17

Fire emblem direct next week!

Guessing the mobile game and warriors character reveal gameplay (and if we are really lucky maybe a tease of next mainline)

Yeah that's the system I usually go with as well. For whatever reason I'm ready to jump in with switch already though lol
Zelda has me crazy I guess

zulux21

I have to wonder if the people complaining about the price are without jobs.
Just set a little aside each pay day and you'll have enough.

I have a job, it's just that it doesn't look remotely worth $300.

it looks like a system that likely costs nintendo $120-$150 to make and is in general an idea that they needed to hit $200 for it to have any chance of being a big success. At $300 it feels like nintendo is just being greedy.

it just reminds me of the 3ds a ton... where nintendo felt the response was hot, and decided they could price the 3ds at $250 despite it being much cheaper to make, and then when that bit them in the foot they did a large quick price drop more in line with the cost of the system aka it went to $170 if I recall right that or $180.

you think they would have learned from the 3ds but they clearly didn't *shrugs*

ideally they will be able to save it like they did the 3ds. Heck they even have a trump card to play this time around instead of an ambassadors program.

when it sells poorly, and they need to do a price drop. They announce it will be cut to $200, but also mention that anyone that bought it before that date will get free online play on the switch for life :p.

I see people complaining about the launch

Has there really ever been a great console launch?
A lot of these launches are fairly forgettable with rare stand-outs

to be fair a lot of console launches aren't delayed publicly stating they are doing it to get more games, and then only launch with 7 games :p

BBboy20

jAJR894m.jpg

I think people hold Nintendo to a different standard because other consoles, unless you own a PC, become the designated platforms for third party games and thus become the place for "regular" video games. Nintendo systems have to subsist on being The Nintendo Platform, so when those Nintendo games are not so prevalent right out of the gate then that raises some concerns because the system is then not really delivering on its purpose.

Whether that's an unfair distinction to make or not is up to you, but I think it makes sense.

cntr

Banned
After all these years seeing people make predictions and be wrong more often than not, I figure it's silly to put faith in them, haha. If they're right, it was probably by chance.

Either way, from my perspective, I can't afford any new console at whatever price, so I'm not too bothered by the launch prices. The games are shaping up to be good, and that's what'll matter for me.

bigkrev

Here is the thing- even if a lot of those launches didn't have standout games, they had games. If you bought a PS4 on launch day, you could get Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Ghosts, Madden, NBA 2K, Need for Speed, Assassin's Creed 4, and others in addition to the first party offerings. For Switch, you have Zelda, 1 2 Switch (which isn't for everyone), Just Dance (not for everyone), Skylanders (not for everyone), and Bomberman.

If I WANTED to buy 3 games with my system, I would have extreme difficulty. With PS4, sure, I may have played some of them on PS3, but there was at least a variety of things to try

This probably isn't a disaster on the level of the 3DS launch (because Zelda is probably good unlike everything that was there at launch for the 3DS), but it's worse than any console dating back to the N64

BBboy20

This system sure is bringing out a multitude of different perceptions and expectations, the amount of the which I have never seen before.

Tenumi

Banned
I totally want to get the Switch... but I have no job and the government doesn't want to consider me disabled, so.... Yeah, I won't be able to afford it any time soon.

At least I've got everything I need, though, so there is that.

On a side note, I'm close to being caught up on Hunter x Hunter. Still got all of Jojo still to catch up on, but I've at least watched that before, so it's not like I'm in the dark on it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Phew, Switch pre-ordered at GS. After all my gift cards & trade-ins, I should be at around $175ish. If I can knock it down so I pay $100 or less out of pocket, I'll be content.

....then maybe I can at least afford a day one copy of Nier Automata

Crocodile

This system sure is bringing out a multitude of different perceptions and expectations, the amount of the which I have never seen before.

People are always looking for reasons to exclaim "NINTENDO IS DOOMED" so when they show weakness (as I personally feel they did last night - mistakes were def made) the knives are going to come out. I like videogames and anime and whatever but there are too many other important things in my life and the world for me to ever get really angry about them (or at least about specifically the "game" aspects - shit like GG is deplorable on a whole 'nother level). Disappointed and willing to criticize sure but not indignant rage.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Agreed. I may find legit reasons to be annoyed with Nintendo, but I also want them to stay around as long as possible just because of all the games they've given me over the span of my lifetime.

I'd rather keep this excitement that I don't get to feel very often than find something to bring my mood down.

BBboy20

Agreed. I may find legit reasons to be annoyed with Nintendo, but I also want them to stay around as long as possible just because of all the games they've given me over the span of my lifetime.

I'd rather keep this excitement that I don't get to feel very often than find something to bring my mood down.
That seems to be the main problem: brilliant game designers but it's quite apparent they're lagging in everything else...and yet being a console manufacture is their best chance to express that talent.

cntr

Banned
On a side note, this makes me think the true tragedy of Phantom Blood is Dio would've gotten everything he wanted if he wasn't such an asshole
Oh, yeah, totally. Speedwagon was a poor thug just like Dio, but he decided to be a bro and got almost everything he could've wanted.

Looks better than the other Gundam Blu-rays and most of them looked fantastic.
They sure took their time, but it was actually worth the wait.

I decided to cancel my switch preorder.

Not because I don't want it, but because I'm not working currently. I have some money in the bank, but I need to find work again before I do such frivolous things.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I bought a Wii right after quitting my last post college shitty job. Felt good. I think I looked for work for about six months that time, mainly playing the Wii launch games and FF VI Advance when it came out.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
......oh god, the Breath of the Wild amiibo come out the same day....that's gonna be about another $75....but thankfully, I should only owe about $100ish once I trade stuff in (my Wii for $65 + 3 Wii U titles that're $25 each + get a $25 reward coupon from Powerup Rewards + maybe trade my $15 Meijer card for a GS one).

I just wish the quality of the online stream was better since it seemed to drop to 360p when I was streaming it via Chromecast after 5 minutes so I could save some money by cancelling my charter cable subscription....

bigkrev

......oh god, the Breath of the Wild amiibo come out the same day....that's gonna be about another $75....but thankfully, I should only owe about $100ish once I trade stuff in (my Wii for $65 + 3 Wii U titles that're $25 each + get a $25 reward coupon from Powerup Rewards + maybe trade my $15 Meijer card for a GS one).

I just wish the quality of the online stream was better since it seemed to drop to 360p when I was streaming it via Chromecast after 5 minutes so I could save some money by cancelling my charter cable subscription....

I'm done buying Amiibo day 1 cause they always drop in price.

If you buy Amiibo regularly, consider Best Buy's Gamers Club Unlocked. The discount works on them too.

Speaking of, I have a Switch/Zelda pre-order at BB. Still debating whether I'll keep it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That's what I do, order them on Amazon to get the 20% discount.

My only question now is how much Nintendo's online is going to be. The fact you only get ONE NES or SNES game a month & you don't even get to keep it kind of is a bummer (though the fact you can buy it afterwards unlike PS+ might be a pro to some), plus I already pay $60/yr for PS+, so I don't feel like paying another $50 or so for Nintendo's online, which is nowhere near as robust & stable as Sony or Microsoft. & I really have PS+ for the discounts & free games.

Edit: But to get back on topic, looks like tomorrow's goody is a review of
The Last Guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom