• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody's talking about Pimp Bowser?

tumblr_ojqg0mTrMy1v6ih9lo1_540.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
He looks like a last minute inclusion, so they just dragged & dropped him into the poster.

Also yes, Pimp suit Bowser is awesome & I better be able to unlock a similar outfit for Mario.

Even though I'm not going to buy a Switch, that Mario Odyssey thing might just be the very first Mario game I've seen through it's trailer that's made me really want to play it.

It was very odd. In a good way that a freak like me tends to like.

going by that Super Mario Odyssey thread, everyone is just talking about how the very concept of contrasting art styles broke their brains and repeating a nonsensical Sonic 06 comparison like they all projectile vomited the first time they saw Pikmin

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
cuz sonic 06 was the first time sonic was in a game involving a city with real life humans

......unlike....ya know.....Sonic Adventure..........& Sonic Adventure 2.......which turned out fine....

going by that Super Mario Odyssey thread, everyone is just talking about how the very concept of contrasting art styles broke their brains and repeating a nonsensical Sonic 06 comparison like they all projectile vomited the first time they saw Pikmin

Sonic06 came to mind for me as well but only when it came to reminding me of clashing aesthetics as a concept. Here, it seemed pretty obvious that was what they were going for where as in 06 they had no idea what they were doing. You could tell they learned their lesson there when they fixed their shit when it came to the humans in Unleashed.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't think Mario is going to be kissing any of the residents of New Donk City.

Hell, he's not allowed to kiss Peach. Only she can kiss him on the forehead.

cntr

Banned
Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild look amazing

e: Did they really call it "New Donk City"? That's great.

Tenumi

Banned
That's what I do, order them on Amazon to get the 20% discount.

My only question now is how much Nintendo's online is going to be. The fact you only get ONE NES or SNES game a month & you don't even get to keep it kind of is a bummer (though the fact you can buy it afterwards unlike PS+ might be a pro to some), plus I already pay $60/yr for PS+, so I don't feel like paying another $50 or so for Nintendo's online, which is nowhere near as robust & stable as Sony or Microsoft. & I really have PS+ for the discounts & free games.

Edit: But to get back on topic, looks like tomorrow's goody is a review of
The Last Guardian

I'm kind of sitting in that same boat with regards to Nintendo online. Right now, only Splatoon is of interest to me for online. Not to mention, I've already got PS+ and potentially Xbox Live should I ever actually get an Xbox One. Really, it'd only be worth it if it was a lot cheaper than the others.

Sonic06 came to mind for me as well but only when it came to reminding me of clashing aesthetics as a concept. Here, it seemed pretty obvious that was what they were going for where as in 06 they had no idea what they were doing. You could tell they learned their lesson there when they fixed their shit when it came to the humans in Unleashed.

see, i don't understand the Sonic 06 comparison because they did actual humans in Sonic for like two games before that and Sonic 06 was bad because it was actually broken, not because of its art style choices (though that world did suck from what i played of it)

I was at work all day so I don't really know what the reaction to everything I'm finding out about now is.

That Mario Oddyssey thing was the only thing that supremely interested me (which is a fucking miracle considering how little interest I have in the Mario series) so I'm still on the middling side of things here.

Although, I did here that the walking battery life for the Switch was supposed to be like 2 to 6 hours.

If that's true then... no.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's going to be more interesting to see if they have the free trial end before or after Splatoon 2 since they KNOW that's going to be one of their bigger, if not biggest online game. Get players hooked on the game first, have the trial end & then be all "WANNA KEEP PLAYING AGAINST OTHERS ONLINE? PAY UP!!!"

I was at work all day so I don't really know what the reaction to everything I'm finding out about now is.

That Mario Oddyssey thing was the only thing that supremely interested me (which is a fucking miracle considering how little interest I have in the Mario series) so I'm still on the middling side of things here.

Although, I did here that the walking battery life for the Switch was supposed to be like 2 to 6 hours.

If that's true then... no.

They outright said that was the case in the stream last night.

Also Pimp Bowser Smash 4 skin mod when?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
They said more among 2.5 to 6 & it depends on the game (& I'm guessing stuff like if you adjust the brightness, wi-fi is on or off, etc.), so similar to what my N3DS XL gets.

I was hoping for 4 at the most, so I'm content. Not like I'm gonna be using it on the go a lot anyways, more of "I'll bring it into bed with me" or "I'll bring it over to show my friend"

see, i don't understand the Sonic 06 comparison because they did actual humans in Sonic for like two games before that and Sonic 06 was bad because it was actually broken, not because of its art style choices (though that world did suck from what i played of it)

I get the comparison when it comes to the way it looks. I'm not talking about either of the games quality here. I get it when it comes to the images on screen. This super cartoony character comes out into this huge realistic city and walks alongside super realistic looking humans and it's gonna flash you back to Sonic06 more often than not for sure.

Humans were in the games before then, sure, but the only one where you walked in a hub like that and spoke to them as something other than background fodder for cutscenes was the first Sonic Adventure and I can see someone making a case for how it doesn't feel the same due to the human models in that game not being the first that comes to mind when it comes to realistic aesthetics and proportions. Although, when it came to the city itself it reminded me more of the one from Sonic Adventure. Mostly because it was a lot more... I dunno. Colorful.

Actually, it really reminded me of that unlockable SEGA City race track from Sonic Riders.

But about the humans. It sticks out more as a natural comparison to either the first Adventure or 06 to me. And 06 kind of sticks in the craw of a lot more people and is also the one with humans looking the closest to the ones I saw in Oddysey. So yeah, I see it.

That doesn't mean it should instantly speak towards the game's quality though. If anyone is doing that then they're clearly jumping the gun a bit.
They outright said that was the case in the stream last night.

Didn't watch the Stream.

cntr

Banned
The environments we saw in the trailer were all completely different, so that's probably what they were going for.

Mizerman

They said more among 2.5 to 6 & it depends on the game (& I'm guessing stuff like if you adjust the brightness, wi-fi is on or off, etc.), so similar to what my N3DS XL gets.

I was hoping for 4 at the most, so I'm content. Not like I'm gonna be using it on the go a lot anyways, more of "I'll bring it into bed with me" or "I'll bring it over to show my friend"

I'll probably be doing the same thing when I get it.

A reoccuring trend on noticed in the gaming side of the forum is once someone throws out an easy criticism, people are quick to start parroting it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Even my 3DS or Vita, I usually just play it home on my couch. I'm trying to remember the last time I legit played them when I wasn't home, aside from maybe when I went to my dad's house for Xmas, but even then, I was more on my laptop since it was the weekend with Toonami airing.

I only take my 3DS with me to get streetpasses from one or two people at work & get my 1,000 steps in for the play coins.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I probably need something like an iPad bag if I ever bring the Switch somewhere. It's not like 3DS which I can close and put in my pocket.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
For some reason, the giant mecha centipede made me think of Bayonetta 2.

Also, I can't help but question just what the hell I'd play online with the new paid service aside from Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2, & the Smash port that'll eventually happen, because those were really the only games that had worthwhile online on the Wii U + maybe Pokken & I think Xenoblade X? I have PS+, so what else would there be on the Switch to convince me to pay for another online service? Not to mention, I really don't play online multiplayer at all for any system, & Splatoon only worked about 60% of the time, & that was AFTER I spent a ton of time doing some configuring with my Wii U & router.

But then again, I'm not going into this generation with only the Switch, I have my PS4, so I guess some of these issues don't feel as big when I really plan to only get Switch-exclusive games when everything else, I'm buying for my PS4 unless there's some reason I should choose Switch over the other versions.

I guess I just don't feel annoyed when I look at my PS4 & think "meh, it doesn't have the same problems, & I won't really run into some of these Switch "problems" often since I'll just get a 200GB micro SD & I should be more than set playing the exclusives."

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, it reminded me of the first boss, when it's climbing the building & then reaches the top.

................now I wonder how gamers would react if Bayonetta 3 was Switch exclusive, because MAAAAAAN the meltdowns of B2 exclusive to Wii U.....

Mizerman

Yeah, it reminded me of the first boss, when it's climbing the building & then reaches the top.

................now I wonder how gamers would react if Bayonetta 3 was Switch exclusive, because MAAAAAAN the meltdowns of B2 exclusive to Wii U.....

That legendary thread when Bayonetta 2 was announced on the Wii U. So much salt. It would only multiply if another sequel was exclusive for the Switch.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That legendary thread when Bayonetta 2 was announced on the Wii U. So much salt. It would only multiply if another sequel was exclusive for the Switch.
I still remember being at GameStop when a customer next to me asked "Hey, so is Bayonetta 2 still exclusive to Wii U? Because that's BULL, Nintendo doesn't DESERVE it!" Dude, Bayonetta 2 EXISTS thanks to Nintendo. The only thing more annoying than console/company-specific fanboys is when they go the mentality of "I'D RATHER IT NOT EXIST AT ALL THAN BE ON A DIFFERENT CONSOLE", which is basically the equivalent of "NO, IT'S MY TOY, YOU CAN'T HAVE IT, IT'S MINE, NOBODY ELSE CAN HAVE IT"

I am so glad I grew out of my "I only want Nintendo consoles" bubble in 5th or 6th grade when I started to realize there were PS2 games I wanted that weren't on Gamecube, but then again, I also was able to play Playstation when I was younger at a babysitter's (I must've been 6 or 7ish) & a Genesis via my friend's house. Expand your gaming horizons, not close them off.

zulux21

so anyone that watched dbz abridged, make sure to do yourself a favor and turned on closed captions for the broly movie they just released.

they have a lot of extra jokes in them :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DBZA has been losing gas lately. Broly is okay but the last few episodes weren't great. The movie before Broly is the worst thing they've ever done.

Regiruler

I don't think there'd be a very violent reaction given that the previous game was exclusive.
The reason people went nuclear was because there was no hint Bayonetta would go exclusive, on a nintendo platform no less.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't think there'd be a very violent reaction given that the previous game was exclusive.
The reason people went nuclear was because there was no hint Bayonetta would go exclusive, on a nintendo platform no less.

To be fair, the game was explicitly canceled during production for the PS360 and then revived for the Wii U, with Nintendo funding the rest of development. So there was no hint of the game going anywhere and in fact the message on the subject was that the game was dead.

Regiruler

To be fair, the game was explicitly canceled during production for the PS360 and then revived for the Wii U, with Nintendo funding the rest of development. So there was no hint of the game going anywhere and in fact the message on the subject was that the game was dead.

Yeah, I'm familiar with what happened. But now there is a history, so people wouldn't be as shocked if a theoretical Bayonetta 3 was exclusive.

cntr

Banned
It's kind of like YouTube comments, people who don't care or like other shows aren't going to bother voting. Especially with the selection they put out.

Chase17

Fuuka 03
Record time to get to the beach episode

The love triangle plot thickens...I guess (also record time for this type of scene?)

Edit: oh just saw the title of the episode. It was hidden in plain sight (and was clear anyways but oh well)

So we somehow go from Fuuka sinking like a rock in the water, only to have some scenario where she is the one who has to save the protag. Convoluted way to lead to mouth to mouth lol

Isn't yuri on ice still a fairly good show or am I mistaken? Maybe not best anime of 2016 but I got the impression it wasn't popular gutter trash like sao or re:zero.

So I've been rewatching some old Toonami shows I didn't bother watching, or didn't pay the most attention when they originally aired.

Dimension W was definitely some wasted potential. Had all the ingredients for a show I'd really love, but then it really went off the rails. Not helping matters how much they sexualized the loli robot and Kyoma being such a unlikable ass for majority of the show.

Casshern Sins was something. Yeah, at the risk of coming off as an uncultured slob and "not getting it," I was bored to tears watching this. Cool animation I guess.

Black Lagoon has been a pretty fun ride so far. Watched the entire first season yesterday and I'm currently on the second now. Will also be watching the Roberta Blood Trail OVAs.

Outside of that, still need to do a rewatch of Hellsing and Parasyte.

Isn't yuri on ice still a fairly good show or am I mistaken? Maybe not best anime of 2016 but I got the impression it wasn't popular gutter trash like sao or re:zero.

It's not that Yuri on Ice is bad so much as it winning in categories it really shouldn't have (Best Animation, Best OP, Best ED, arguably Most Heartwarming.) That and Crunchyroll just did a terrible ass job with nominations all around the awards.

Of course, Erased winning Best Villain was the biggest fucking joke of all lol.

zulux21

So I've been rewatching some old Toonami shows I didn't bother watching, or didn't pay the most attention when they originally aired.

Dimension W was definitely some wasted potential. Had all the ingredients for a show I'd really love, but then it really went off the rails. Not helping matters how much they sexualized the loli robot and Kyoma being such a unlikable ass for majority of the show.

Casshern Sins was something. Yeah, at the risk of coming off as an uncultured slob and "not getting it," I was bored to tears watching this. Cool animation I guess.

Black Lagoon has been a pretty fun ride so far. Watched the entire first season yesterday and I'm currently on the second now. Will also be watching the Roberta Blood Trail OVAs.

Outside of that, still need to do a rewatch of Hellsing and Parasyte.

It's not that Yuri on Ice is bad so much as it winning in categories it really shouldn't have (Best Animation, Best OP, Best ED, arguably Most Heartwarming.) That and Crunchyroll just did a terrible ass job with nominations all around the awards.

Of course, Erased winning Best Villain was the biggest fucking joke of all lol.
to be fair the series with the best animation had horrid art style so it's not surprising that a series with good animation and good art style won.

yuri has a solid opening, re:zero I think had the best opening last year but yuri's was good.

I can't remember any endings aside from re:zero and magical girl raising project so meh to that.

and a lot of people found yuri in general to be heartwarming. I know my friend squeed like crazy at the scene in question.

I mean I can get feeling other shows did things better than yaoi on ice, but it was still a fine choice for most of those in general.

but yeah... best villain was a joke.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The best looking anime that aired last year was Pokémon XYZ and the best animated anime that aired last year was Pokémon Sun and Moon.

to be fair the series with the best animation had horrid art style so it's not surprising that a series with good animation and good art style won.

yuri has a solid opening, re:zero I think had the best opening last year but yuri's was good.

I can't remember any endings aside from re:zero and magical girl raising project so meh to that.

and a lot of people found yuri in general to be heartwarming. I know my friend squeed like crazy at the scene in question.

I mean I can get feeling other shows did things better than yaoi on ice, but it was still a fine choice for most of those in general.

but yeah... best villain was a joke.

Yeah, what did Mob in on the Best Animation is it wasn't as "aesthetically pleasing" as something like Yuri or Sound Euphonium was.

Best OP I though should've went to Mob no context. Best ED was Diamond is Unbreakable.

For most Heartwarming, I actually was kind of more impartial to the Erased scene there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom