• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
If there's anything that needs a complete remake, it's One Piece.

And nah, I wouldn't expect a Super Kai. Super doesn't really have "filler" like Z does, and in some sense, slice-of-life filler-esque episodes like last week's are the main plot of Super.

Agreed. Better pacing, animation, art, actually adapt the cover stories since they can be important and help build the world more and more.
It'd still be long, but there's over 80 volumes to work with here.
Hell, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has adapted around 47 volumes into 113 episodes. 47 volumes of One Piece and we're in the beginning of Thriller Bark, which is over 300 episodes into the series.

You know, I'm surprised that American animation companies haven't tried to adapt manga. Like remaking Dragon Ball but with much smoother animation and better pacing (to follow the source material). Probably content worries since early Dragon Ball is pervy as fuck.

cntr

Banned
We probably haven't gotten more American-Japanese collabs because the anime and manga industry tends to change really slowly. But I wouldn't be surprised if it became a thing in the next few decades.

there's an anime somewhere adapting the biography of a chef going through Japan, drawn in a similar artstyle to Dexter's Laboratory or the Powerpuff Girls

Moaradin

Pre-Shippuden Naruto is legitimately fantastic.

I always thought it was overrated as fuck. It was decent, but it has a ton of problems, especially during the Chunin Exams and Sasuke Retrieval arc. Major problems in Shippuden like the pacing and dumb as fuck things started showing their head pretty early on IMO. Remember how meaningless all the "deaths" were during the Sasuke Retrieval arc? Don't even need to bring up the filler hell they did before properly ending the series.

Even though Shippuden is way worse overall, it actually has most of my favorite moments of the series. The Immortal arc is easily contender for the best arc in Naruto period. The emotional moments like Jiraiya's death hit way harder than anything in pre-shippuden Naruto. It has some fantastic fights with the final one being my favorite in the series. There's just a lot of crap in between those genuinely good moments.

Raxus

It's funny you mention JoJo since Part 3 is a little bloated but Part 4's adaptation is just

d96.jpg

Hunter X Hunter and Part 4 are my go to references for adaptations of manga series.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, it has a lot of issues in retrospect. But it was a pretty fun shounen overall.

also, I only read the manga, and the only episode of pre-Shippuden I've actually watched was that filler where they try to find out what's under Kakashi's mask

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Even as a kid, I feel like I was trying to "force" myself into liking Naruto because at the time, I didn't really have other methods of watching anime (I hadn't learned to make use of the internet yet for it). As cool as the Zabuta fight was, another part of me was like "....why is this taking so long?"

But again, when I was a teen & Toonami was in its "final" years, I was starting to realize I was not enjoying the pacing of long runner shows, so I dropped a few & decided to was better to stick with shorter 12 to 26 episode stuff.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I always felt that Kishimoto did the Chunin Exams far too early.
There should have been like 3 arcs between the Land of Waves and the Exams. Arcs where they team up with the other groups, give us character development for them, not stuff everything into the exam.

Revisiting Naruto did clue me in on how overrated a lot of it was, though still ultimately not a bad series when it comes to Part 1.

A lot of the things I hated about Part 1 Naruto when growing up I hate even more now. Sakura, Sasuke, the Sakura and Ino fight, Sakura getting mad at Naruto for literally everything (even if it wasn't something legitimately bad), and the Search for Tsunade arc.

The Search for Tsunade was something I really wanted to go back to because I remembered it boring the shit out of me as a kid. As an adult I got to look at it with a more critical eye through the manga and realized that, yes, it really was just that bland and uninteresting.

The best parts of Part 1 still remain the Chunin Exams and the Sasuke Retrieval Arc for me. I hear a lot of people really like Zabuza's arc but I remember everything surrounding the three main leads for that arc being at it's most insufferable for me as I was trying my best to get into the series.

There's probably been worse parts for them during Part 1 but I remember the Zabuza arc and the beginning stages of getting to know the three main characters being the hardest to deal with.

It's funny you mention JoJo since Part 3 is a little bloated but Part 4's adaptation is just
Hunter X Hunter and Part 4 are my go to references for adaptations of manga series.
Part 4 is streamlined perfection, though there's a scene they chop out that makes something in the finale make more sense.
Even as a kid, I feel like I was trying to "force" myself into liking Naruto because at the time, I didn't really have other methods of watching anime (I hadn't learned to make use of the internet yet for it). As cool as the Zabuta fight was, another part of me was like "....why is this taking so long?"

But again, when I was a teen & Toonami was in its "final" years, I was starting to realize I was not enjoying the pacing of long runner shows, so I dropped a few & decided to was better to stick with shorter 12 to 26 episode stuff.
I didn't dive into Naruto till I was 31 I believe. I grew up with good shonens in YYH and Kenshin and simply refused to deal with it till much later cause of the atrocious dub. In fact I think I watched the first ep of the dub 2 years before I started watching Naruto. The dub pissed me off that much. I could sit here and try to tolerate more of this...but I refuse.

Moaradin

Chouji008.gif

This is a fucking death scene. It would have been legitimately great if he stuck with it, but for some dumb reason he decided to completely roll it back and undermined everything great about the scene. It's especially odd since most of these characters that were supposed to die
didn't ever go anywhere. I couldn't tell you how pre-shippuden Choji differs from endgame Choji.

Chase17

After loving part 2 I started to watch part 3

Am about ten episodes in but haven't watched in a week or two since finding out it is like 50 episodes.

I'll get back to it eventually but really threw me off gaurd with how much longer it is than part 1 and 2 haha

cntr

Banned
I always got the impression that Shippuden wasn't supposed to happen, and the Sasuke Retrieval arc was meant to be the actual ending of the series, where Naruto actually rescued Sasuke for real. And if the series was meant to be continued, the way it did wasn't the way it was planned, if it was planned at all, and all those guys were meant to die for real.

And coming up,
the Pain arc feels the same way, like it's the actual ending to Naruto. If it wasn't for tonight's episode, Naruto could've ended, and even ended properly.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Am about ten episodes in but haven't watched in a week or two since finding out it is like 50 episodes.

I'll get back to it eventually but really through me off gaurd with how much longer it is than part 1 and 2 haha
Yeah, Part 3 is when Araki decided to make the parts super long. Hell, Part 3 is longer than both 1 & 2 combined. & Part 4, despite having a lower episode count for the anime, is slightly longer than Part 3 in the manga.

Chouji008.gif

This is a fucking death scene. It would have been legitimately great if he stuck with it, but for some dumb reason he decided to completely roll it back and undermined everything great about the scene. It's especially odd since most of these characters that were supposed to die
didn't ever go anywhere. I couldn't tell you how pre-shippuden Choji differs from endgame Choji.
I actually felt for Choji in this scene. Haven't felt shit for the man after that though...there's some fuckery with him later on too though...fuck...

Moaradin

I'll get back to it eventually but really threw me off gaurd with how much longer it is than part 1 and 2 haha

Part 3 in the anime can be a bit of a slog at times, but the early stuff has some good battles here and there, and it's definitely worth it for the later half. Part 4 is way better though.

Part 3 in the anime can be a bit of a slog at times, but the early stuff has some good battles here and there, and it's definitely worth it for the later half. Part 4 is way better though.
Later stuff has one of my favorite stand battles and it's from the most unexpected characters too.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, I was kind of dour about Part 4 and its cuts, but the real issues were the animation and directing. Which should probably be fixed in the blu-rays.

The beginning of Part 3 is kind of eh, but it starts getting good starting with
the Hanged Man/Emperor and the Justice fight

Raxus

Funny how we started on a gif of Naruto and the page is filled with Naruto hate already.

I really wanna turn around and talk about things to be excited about tonight.

Stuff like Tacos! and Great Saiyaman.

I never stop finding it funny that Dragon Ball, a show best known as a fighting anime. Is most fondly remembered for its slice of life stuff. Still I am glad we got Super since it seems to balance things better than DBZ ever did.

Moaradin

Yeah, I was kind of dour about Part 4 and its cuts, but the real issues were the animation and directing. Which should probably be fixed in the blu-rays.

Are you sure you're not talking about Part 3? Part 4 had those issues as well here and there, but overall the animation and directing was a big step up from the previous JoJo seasons.

cntr

Banned
Dragonball and Super are fun because they don't take themselves seriously and know when they should be goofy and slice-of-life

Z is actually kind of weird compared to everything else Toriyama's made, even if it's his best known work.

Are you sure you're not talking about Part 3? Part 4 had those issues as well here and there, but overall the animation and directing was a big step up from the previous JoJo seasons.
It's complicated and gets into spoilers, but yeah, Part 4 had a ton of issues with the direction and animation. And like, as good as it is, it's noticeably weaker than the manga because of those issues.

But that should be fixed in the blu-rays and by the time it gets to Toonami.

No he means Part 4. I know what he's talking about since I've read his explanations about this in either the Jojo OT or the DiU OT.
Funny how we started on a gif of Naruto and the page is filled with Naruto hate already.

I really wanna turn around and talk about things to be excited about tonight.

Stuff like Tacos! and Great Saiyaman.

I never stop finding it funny that Dragon Ball, a show best known as a fighting anime. Is most fondly remembered for its slice of life stuff. Still I am glad we got Super since it seems to balance things better than DBZ ever did.
It's like you forget how easy it is to hate Naruto. End of Pain arc fucking broke my ass, it's that fucking bad.

I always got the impression that Shippuden wasn't supposed to happen, and the Sasuke Retrieval arc was meant to be the actual ending of the series, where Naruto actually rescued Sasuke for real. And if the series was meant to be continued, the way it did wasn't the way it was planned, if it was planned at all, and all those guys were meant to die for real.

And coming up,
the Pain arc feels the same way, like it's the actual ending to Naruto. If it wasn't for tonight's episode, Naruto could've ended, and even ended properly.

That's pretty much how Weekly Shonen Jump Operates. Keep the train rolling even after it runs out of steam.

Bleach had the same problem. By all rights, Hueco Mondo should have been the final arc and the series should have ended after Ichigo sacrificed his powers to defeat Aizen.

I actually felt for Choji in this scene. Haven't felt shit for the man after that though...there's some fuckery with him later on too though...fuck...

It's strange. I honestly don't mind that they survived their fights here. Specifically because what the fights meant to me wasn't really about their actions driving them to their demise but more about what potential character development could have resulted from it. So whether they lived or died was something I was willing to allow the narrative to handle because it was open for something appropriate either way as far as I was concerned.

However, I'm also not about to sit here and defend Naruto for anything it does. Even if it's Part 1, which I still like.

Doing so would make me feel really silly considering where everything goes.

Not long after the series ends, that advertising stink kicks up again and it's all like "Now he's got a son. Bort! BOORRRTY! BORT! BORT! You're gonna eat this shit up again cause he's Naruto's son! He's his son!"

Raxus

I think it suffers in the animation department in the middle half but the beginning and end are god tier in direction and animation. The Blu-Rays will fix most of the egregious stuff and some of the derp faces only added to the fun in some cases.

It is just a shame ALL anime production is such a grindhouse now. But that is a whole other rant on the industry in general.

Moaradin

I think it suffers in the animation department in the middle half but the beginning and end are god tier in direction and animation. The Blu-Rays will fix most of the egregious stuff and some of the derp faces only added to the fun in some cases.

It is just a shame ALL anime production is such a grindhouse now. But that is a whole other rant on the industry in general.

Anime production is fucking nuts, especially for long running shows. That's why it blows my mind how a long running show like HxH managed to look consistently good throughout the entirely of its original run.

cntr

Banned
Madhouse knew there was no way they could screw up Hunter x Hunter, especially after the meh that was the first anime

It's strange. I honestly don't mind that they survived their fights here. Specifically because what the fights meant to me wasn't really about their actions driving them to their demise but more about what potential character development could have resulted from it. So whether they lived or died was something I was willing to allow the narrative to handle because it was open for something appropriate either way as far as I was concerned.

However, I'm also not about to sit here and defend Naruto for anything it does. Even if it's Part 1, which I still like.

Doing so would make me feel really silly considering where everything goes.

Not long after the series ends, that advertising stink kicks up again and it's all like "Now he's got a son. Bort! BOORRRTY! BORT! BORT! You're gonna eat this shit up again cause he's Naruto's son! He's his son!"
They lived and Kishi pissed that shit away. Here let's have Neji, Ten, Guy and Rock Lee fight their clones for 10 eps and through the power of "Let's fight to surpass ourselves" they beat them in 15 seconds. Fuck off with that bullshit. Those survivors never did anything of any worth ever again...except Shikamaru cause Shikamaru is based as fuck, love the dude. Regarding
Burrito, I would honestly prefer a series following his daughter around as an apology for how Kishi treated the bulk of the female cast and Hinata in general. Prove that you can write a good female character and not screw them over, but nope we get fucking Burrito.
I think the only female character he didn't vastly screw over was Tsunade. Poor fucking Shizune. Only character to job worse than god damn Yamato, poor woman didn't deserve that.

cntr

Banned
Stone Ocean and My Hero Academia are the only Jump manga I can think of off the top of my head were the female characters are well-written and allowed to get into proper fights

Moaradin

They lived and Kishi pissed that shit away. Here let's have Neji, Ten, Guy and Rock Lee fight their clones for 10 eps and through the power of "Let's fight to surpass ourselves" they beat them in 15 seconds. Fuck off with that bullshit. Those survivors never did anything of any worth ever again...except Shikamaru cause Shikamaru is based as fuck, love the dude. Regarding
Burrito, I would honestly prefer a series following his daughter around as an apology for how Kishi treated the bulk of the female cast and Hinata in general. Prove that you can write a good female character and not screw them over, but nope we get fucking Burrito.
I think the only female character he didn't vastly screw over was Tsunade. Poor fucking Shizune. Only character to job worse than god damn Yamato, poor woman didn't deserve that.

I mean, there is Sarada. so there is a tiny bit of hope there. But not much.

They lived and Kishi pissed that shit away. Here let's have Neji, Ten, Guy and Rock Lee fight their clones for 10 eps and through the power of "Let's fight to surpass ourselves" they beat them in 15 seconds. Fuck off with that bullshit.

Ah yes. The infamous "Stronger than we were Yesterday" bullshit. I still remember the migraine like it was yesterday. Ironically it has been nearly as strong as it was that one Saturday. Still in my top 10 worst moments of Toonami fuckery that's happened in these shows.

Shippuden's pacing is bad sure, but the beginning was legendary for how astonishingly slow it was. Months of Kakashi and Naruto jumping through the valley of endless fallen logs.

Nothing but fucking forests. That's all this show knows where to put people. In a fucking forest.

I mean, there is Sarada. so there is a tiny bit of hope there. But not much.

I like Sarada. Surprisingly.

Raxus

Stone Ocean and My Hero Academia are the only Jump manga I can think of off the top of my head were the female characters are well-written and allowed to get into proper fights

FMA is sitting in a corner crying wondering why you excluded them.

It is a problem with all shonen in general sadly. Even MHA is far from perfect but at least there is an attempt and the girls are likeable and different. Even mangaka's that are female tend to fall into the same trap too (see Inuyasha). Difference being female mangaka's tend to have actual female characters in the cast and they usually do SOMETHING in the story.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
FMA is a Square Enix series.

.........no, seriously, S-E owns a manga company. It also explains why all the FMA game adaptations were developed by them.

cntr

Banned
Square Enix doesn't just own a manga company, they're one of the major publishers of manga next to Shueisha and Kodansha

Chase17

Promised Neverland!

Just pretend fighting is equivalent to thinking/plotting

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Square Enix eh?

Why did they just not make a Final Fantasy FMA.

Seems perfect for it.
I played a bit of the 2nd game on PS2. It almost felt like they took the engine from Kingdom Hearts & applied a FMA skin. It was honestly not that bad, though the copy I rented was glitched & wouldn't play the cutscene for beating a boss, so I couldn't continue on.

Moaradin

Yeah, Promised Neverland is a good one. I appreciate that it actually has a female main character. Lots of potential in that manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom