• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
J8OjiIK.gif

789shadow

Banned
Attack on Titan

Armin put a whole lot of points into SPEECHIFYING

Bleach

Yep, that was an entire episode of filler. The manga goes straight from the Mr. Pig fight to the Jackie fight.

Space Dandy

I found this episode pretty average as far as Space Dandy goes.

Naruto: Shippuden

Simply unbearable. I wanna die.

One Piece

Robin be like "stop helping me." This is pretty much the same way Nami initially acted during the Arlong arc.
Both of whom changed their tunes after their tragic backstories were revealed.

Blue Exorcist

Missed the second half taking a dump and I don't think I missed much.

Black Lagoon

Imminent Rock ballsery? Greenback Jane might be screwed no matter what though.

Beware the Batman

THAT LADY JUST CLOCKED BATMAN

Naruto

Oh Orochimaru, you were too good of a villain for this series.

FMA: Brotherhood

"That must be why I'm sh.......

sh............

short."

Samurai Jack

An episode-long chase scene.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Boring politics with added unbearable Jar-Jar antics.

Sym-Bionic Titan

THE HAMMER! YEAH!

Black Lagoon
One Piece
Space Dandy
FMA: Brotherhood
Sym-Bionic Titan
Samurai Jack
Naruto
Attack on Titan
Beware the Batman
Bleach
Blue Exorcist
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Naruto: Shippuden

Seda

Well, that was an iffy night of episodes. Attack on Titan's melodrama and inner monologue-ing has been taken to excruciating levels. Bleach is typically mediocre but now it's spinning the wheels. Shippuden decided to spend an entire poorly drawn episode to conclude this boring clone fight in the most brainless way possible. Clone Wars has these budget-saving politic episodes from time to time, and they are never very good, let alone when they plop in Jar Jar for fun. Blue Exorcist's scene to scene progression has lost any sense of direction, and things are happening that are practically non-sequitur at this point

Beware the Batman I thought was actually a little step up from what it has been in terms of pacing and structure, but the whole poison/antidote thing didn't really fit well with how he could just wade through the fog to grab the serum and be totally fine. The drama didn't really work, especially the whole "I'm not a killer and I'll prove it by 'sacrificing' myself to fight these two ninja goons"

I thought Dandy was kinda cool, some of the visuals were amazing and Papenbrook-alien was sufficiently eerie, setting the tone for a lot of the episode. A lot was packed into this one. Amusing to see Dandy actually be determined about something that isn't 'Boobies', we don't see that very often.

Black Lagoon was pure fun. Needs more Dutch tho.

One Piece, FMAB, and Samurai Jack were good. I appreciate that Sanji wasn't totally ineffective as his attack on Blueno (from the bar) was basically the first time they seemed even a little vulnerable. Jack was silly fun. FMAB's characterization of Mustang I am a fan of.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

I dunno if this was directed at the DUMP, but I'mma pretend it is either way ;)

Brav-fucking-o

Happy EVO Sunday everybody

HAPPY EVO! ... Actually, I could get used to that. Should officially be a holiday in the USA.

Oh my god, That JarJar pic. You were watching Evo during BtB weren't you :p.

I would pick nuderai jack.

Trolled is broken tier.

Reviews when I wake up.

LATER

I'm surprisingly respectful to beware the bat. That Bats VS Tokido match was... *ahem* errr... Ok, maybe just a bit (o_o)

I could just imagine Nuderai Jack being a lot like Naked Raiden in MGS2.

I want TrollED in game now. "Like my FRAME TRAP?!" "Stop Blockin, LOOOOZER!" "Get Ready! How do you Like THI"~ wait, that's a Yun line. Wait, that works. Vic really needs to voice a joke character in a fighter, though.

Good job SAB CA!

Arigatou Mike! Y'know, I watched New Sailor Moon and Classic back-to-back the other day... I was pleasantly surprised how familiar I still felt with Ep 1. Is it odd I'm not sure which I liked more?

Good morning. My god, SAB the fighting game stuff is killing me. XD
Alts, Bat-ton check, the names, descriptions(Yourichi is hotter), and reminder of how stupid Shippuden got last night

Haha, had to squeeze in SO much. Which felt really good, actually.

And as agreeable as I am with shows... Shippuden was just SO BAD last night, lol. I felt like the entire thing was animated by a studio that has no idea how to frame and pace fights. Awkward speed line moments, lots of looking at Lee's butt, and the way the clones were NEVER winded, yet... all the tired, winded people had to do was FIGHT HARDER was just... one of the dumbest things ever.

Love it SAB

I'm starting to discuss just skipping Beware the Bat, or at least saving my 5 hour energy and 2nd monster for when it's starts cause this is like 3 in the past 4 weeks I've fallen asleep during or right after it

How do you make a Batman show this boring?

It's just such a buzzkill after (any show on the block), and it can't even do the quasi-adult feel that clonewars does. It makes the whole thing feel like a joke of a show, even when it probably wouldn't feel AS bad if it were played during some other block.

Even with the No-Name bads and such, I think it could be better if it was just allowed to really play up the gritty darkness that COULD come from an inept Bats trying to actually become the fearsome terror he's suppose to be.

Sorry I tapped out. Just couldn't do it. I've been sick all day, still feel sick. My body just couldn't handle the strain of Jar Jar Binks. Anywho, fantastic sketch dump, SAB. I love how detailed some of those descriptions are even though it's all for the sake of a joke. Now that's commitment.

Really hope you feel better Soon Now Instant Retroactively! Jump into the Stream of time! Just don't hang in there too long!

A sketch dump is real until the EN~ well, no, scratch that. It's probably still real for me an hour after completion. "Why can't I play TrollED in SFxT?"

Oh wow this was a very detailed sketch dump.

"Probably loved by his sis". LOL!

I like how everyone says Blueno from the bar.

BARno is so fun. One of those things that just WORKS in the Dub, lol.

Smallberrier Jr. Did a good job as a enemy! His cross~show presence is so... odd, but I actually enjoy what he brings to his roles on the block... And his character are so full of stuff to work with, haha.

I tapped out after btb. Wasn't feeling up ti it. It felt like an off night block wise

Personal hIghlight: Dandy episode, and Rocks noir like, max Payne style, dark side of humanity, monologue. The voice actor for Rock is top notch and it showed

Action Animation Block can't follow the Action of Evo! Especially eps. like with Shippuden, hehe.

Brad's Voice is just one of those AwesomeForAnime voices, ha. I wasn't used to him sounding Dark after Amuro Ray, but from Light to Rock, he can sell that Noir-shade darkness so well.

Watched Evo till 3 AM instead of Toonami. Will try to catch up via on demand this week

I wonder what an Evo X Toonami promo would work like? Play Match vids like Music Videos, A few fight-hype vids crossed with footage from shows and battles... would be fun to see.

Anyone watching EVO? Blazblue pretty hype.

I never get into ASW or Tekken (Soul CALIBUR 4 me!) as much as other Fighters... but the BB finals were quite fantastic. It DOES make me miss playin' Bullet... Hmm. Bullet X Revy or Greenback Jane would make come good Doujinshi tribute colors...

MikeMyers

Arigatou Mike! Y'know, I watched New Sailor Moon and Classic back-to-back the other day... I was pleasantly surprised how familiar I still felt with Ep 1. Is it odd I'm not sure which I liked more?

I like the original better, Crystal feels like a motion comic.

They recasted Furuya but he still sounds the same anyway.

Tuxedo Yamcha Power....Make Up!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The dark secret of Sailor Moon is that the anime is better than the manga, depending on what you are looking for, of course. Most of the comedy and slice of life stuff is from the anime while the real interest in the manga is, well, the actual storyline...which is almost completely different in a lot of ways!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I like the original better, Crystal feels like a motion comic.

They recasted Furuya but he still sounds the same anyway.

Tuxedo Yamcha Power....Make Up!

Hmm, I didn't get too much of a Motion Comic feel, though it's definitely not some high-budget OVA, to be sure. I liked how Usagi's personality seemed to flow rather well into more modern anime comedy, and I actually cared a bit more about her due to this. Though I thought the subs were kind of weird... when she said something like "Ahhh, what the Hell is going on here?!?" It just felt a bit too abrasive for her personality?

3D Henshin was also kinda weird, though it wasn't horrible. It's just like... "hmmm... that's... different."

The dark secret of Sailor Moon is that the anime is better than the manga, depending on what you are looking for, of course. Most of the comedy and slice of life stuff is from the anime while the real interest in the manga is, well, the actual storyline...which is almost completely different in a lot of ways!

Wonder if I'll ever read the Manga... I'd love to see the changes. Maybe when Crystal gets deeper in, and I want to see the 3rd parallel to the story more.

The Live-Action version is best.

Funny thing is...I find that too relationship/slice of lifey and think the first anime is the perfect medium.

I've had a few friends who watched the live action, but it's a bit of a relic from a time when I didn't want to watch shows on Computer (since they were all illegal streams at the time, and I wanted to support my anime market, heh heh.) Is Sailor Moon Live action officially subbed anywhere now?

Given my armor that seems to be resistant to sappy romance with kDrama... I think I could enjoy the slice-o-life stuff well enough.

MikeMyers

Hmm, here is an example of what I meant that it felt more like a motion-comic than an actual episode.

3D Hension was WEIRD, I didn't like that at all.

The subtitles felt off, as did Kotono Mitsuishi's acting.

Raxus

Review Time! I wanna die edition...

Attack on Titan

This episode is a big turning point for Armin. He begins to serve a greater role in the series as a whole. Too bad pacing issues will be an issue for the next few episodes.

Bleach

For the 2nd time in this arc we have a whole episode dedicated to changing one character's mind. Making it 20 minutes of pointless action to get to 1 minute of manga content. This must be the work of an enemy stand.

Space Dandy

It was an average episode of Dandy, luckily the average for dandy is still good. Creepy antagonist, nice use of colors, HELL NO, Falcon PUNCH!, nice surfing montage, some good laughs. There was no way they were going to top last weeks premiere so I appreciate the change in tone for this episode. Next week looks fantastic.

Shippuden

We just need to hit our clones harder. Fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you. It is jarring with both shippuden and Naruto on the block. Even at its worst animation Naruto still has better animation than 90% of Shippuden so far.

One Piece

The Puffing Tom Arc is about to draw to a close. Robin's backstory is getting teased so heavily but it is still a good 10ish episodes away. At least Sanji, Franky, and Sniper King got to show off a bit. *Sanji will remember this fight* ;)

Blue Exorcist

Everyone is a fucking idiot now. Rin is still likeable but so many WHY?'s in this episode. Why he FREEZE HIS WIFE? Why is Yugioh trying to kill his bro? Why is moeblob so forgiving of zombie waifu. Why is zombie waifu using safety scissors. Why Why Why Why Why?

Black Lagoon

I gotta be honest. This arc? Eh. Not the best Black Lagoon has to offer and it really bugs me that Rock has been so useless so much for this half of the season. Here's hoping he steps up next episode and for
the epic 6 episode arc that is apparently coming up.

Beware the WOAH, THAT LADY JUST CLOCKED BATMAN!

Pretty much sums up this series in a nutshell. As MetatronM pointed out it had lots of decent action at least and apart from the 'you and I are NOTHING alike' idiocy from Katana (you guys were in the SAME organization, you are pretty alike), she makes rational decisions even if idiotman could have just went in straight away and grabbed the antidote. Why was Lady Shiva acting like such a dick when they saved her ass? I am thinking about this too much...

Samurai Half Naked Jack

Perhaps one of my favorite episodes of the night. Delightfully weird, funny (Jack in a dress especially), AKU!, and Jack may or or may not have killed a train of people.

Clone Wars

Man what a jarring episode. Half was filled with eye gougingly boring diplomacy with Jar Jar and the other half was an interesting last stand battle with General Die. If they focused the entire episode on the Jedi they may have had a very interesting episode to write home about. Alas, Jar Jar.

Symbionic Titan.

THE HAMMER, YEAH!

Rankings!

One Piece
Samurai Jack
Black Lagoon
THE HAMMER, YEAH!
Space Dandy
Attack on Titan
Beware the Batman
Clone Wars
Blue Exorcist
Bleach
Shitpudden

Overall a meh night. Much like the Jar Jar most of the good was countered by how bad some of the other stuff was.

ckohler

Attack on Titan - Pretty boring pacing wise but at least that idiot commander got shut down by a badass general.

Bleach - Pointless episode that feels like a repeat of the previous training episode. All the drama was immediately made moot thanks to a simple phone call. Jeez.

Space Dandy - This episode was only okay. Having anything make sense is probably the wrong way to approach watching this show so seeing Dandy surf the "River of Time" and have bizarre shit happening that makes no sense must just be accepted. The visuals and music continue to be really great.

Naruto Shippuden - The only redeeming quality of this episode was the epic amounts of laughter and anger it produced. Whoever said this was akin to Dora the Explorer hit the nail on the head. Sooo stupid!

One Piece - Fun episode but mostly a build up. SniperKing continues to be amazing. Robin's shtick of not wanting to be rescued is wearing thin, however.

Blue Exorcist - This show is off the rails now. I can't really follow any of the characters' motivations or the plot's direction. The only thing it has going for it at this point is that it continues to be pretty looking.

Black Lagoon - Great episode. Probably the best written and voiced show on the block. I continue to like Jane and the animators sure seem to have taken advantage of the fact that she's wearing a short skirt.

Beware the Batpushover - So, Wayne enterprises makes gasses that turn people into the Hulk but then just locks this stuff away for villans to find? Also, there could be a dangerous outbreak but they already have an antidote? The woman who runs the building wants to kill everyone inside with zero remorse? This show is dumb. I get the impression that Raz Al Goul will only be a cameo because he's too big a villan for this show.

Naruto - I fell asleep half way through. Kind of a dumb plan to have a password so long that Naruto can't remember but Sakura can. What if SHE had been the shadow-clone?! Then again, the Sauce is infallible so there was little chance of that happening.

Aside from Black Lagoon, a pretty low week unfortunately.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A Sakura clone would out herself almost immediately by not getting into a fight with Naruto/praising Sasuke's every move. The real issue with The Sauces plan is what happens if he gets caught.

Gorillaz

Brad's Voice is just one of those AwesomeForAnime voices, ha. I wasn't used to him sounding Dark after Amuro Ray, but from Light to Rock, he can sell that Noir-shade darkness so well.

Yea after hearing him on Death note I've really been sold on him as a VA. He sounds more at home with the darker, slower paced, monologues. Pretty much the best part of his Rock dialogue

MikeMyers

since everyone is SSJ2 now does that make Final Act GT?

Eh...more like the 10 year anniversary film which had GT Graphic and condensed the Pilaf/RRA arcs in one film.

That reminds me, I was planning on reviewing the Chaozu film for when Chaozu dies, as I intend to do a memorial corner whenever a good guy dies and he doesn't really have many memorable moments outside of that film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom