• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.
A political episode starring Jar Jar?

180px-WHY.jpg

Seda

I didn't care for the "Clones learn teamwork" episode much, but the Kamino attack episode was pretty good although I don't know exactly what the Separtists were after (they established it was something about Clone DNA but not really what they planned to do with the mcguffin). Jar Jar episode even knocked out Schadenfreude and he never misses the end of the block.

Tonight's episode is apparently an Ahsoka episode.

I didn't care for the "Clones learn teamwork" episode much, but the Kamino attack episode was pretty good although I don't know exactly what the Separtists were after (they established it was something about Clone DNA but not really what they planned to do with the mcguffin). Jar Jar episode even knocked out Schadenfreude and he's never misses the end of the block.

I mean the big reason to take the DNA is that it would prevent the creation of any and all future clones, plus there was extensive damage to the cloning facilities which hurts the republic army. How the separatist planned to use the Jango DNA is unclear, though if I had to guess considering Sidious is really Palpatine and this war is just all part of his plan to create the empire, he probably was planning to hold onto the DNA until after his empire was created in order to create more clones for his army.

Ponn

Banned
What does Toonami Gaf think about OP world red on Vita? I do like games like Dynasty Warriors and the Gundam Musou's.

Obligatory Bleach - Tonight!

I didn't care for the "Clones learn teamwork" episode much, but the Kamino attack episode was pretty good although I don't know exactly what the Separtists were after (they established it was something about Clone DNA but not really what they planned to do with the mcguffin). Jar Jar episode even knocked out Schadenfreude and he never misses the end of the block.

I didn't like the teamwork episode either. That was ridiculously blunt even for a show that puts its lesson at the start of each episode. The one after that laid it on a little thick with the hunchback guy, but the action was awesome.

daveo42

Banned
Woo Toonami night! I should be in for at least for One Piece on through Black Lagoon tonight as opposed to last week. It's almost too tiring having so much stuff going on during the weekends over the summer, even if it is a lot of fun.

Where are we at in One Piece? We off the train yet?

Seda

Woo Toonami night! I should be in for at least for One Piece on through Black Lagoon tonight as opposed to last week. It's almost too tiring having so much stuff going on during the weekends over the summer, even if it is a lot of fun.

#263, looks like the last episode before Enies Lobby proper.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What does Toonami Gaf think about OP world red on Vita? I do like games like Dynasty Warriors and the Gundam Musou's.
The OP game that's like Dynasty Warriors is Pirate Warriors 1 & 2. Unlimited World Red is different as there's different areas to explore with a main hub & you can collect materials, go fishing, capture bugs, add to your town hub, do quests, etc. It's more of an action RPG.

Though Pirate Warriors 2 was rather decent for $12.50 when I got it on PS+. Just be warned for both games, while it doesn't spoil TOO much of the future events (unless you go into the glossary and read up on characters, locations, & such), you will meet characters & visit locations that Toonami hasn't yet.

Levyne

Banned
Got caught up on Black Lagoon.

It's interesting to see this series kind of go into a league-of-villains route. It seems a bit manufactured.

Got double the monster energy and I'm not going to skip my snack break. Gonna save a second energy drink for when Beware the boredom begins so I don't fall asleep after it again for the 3rd week in a row -.-

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Got caught up on Black Lagoon.

It's interesting to see this series kind of go into a league-of-villains route. It seems a bit manufactured.

Don't worry,
all the bad guys are utter garbage sans Chinglish

If we aren't off this week then we're off next I think.

Nothing stops this sea train

Ponn

Banned
The OP game that's like Dynasty Warriors is Pirate Warriors 1 & 2. Unlimited World Red is different as there's different areas to explore with a main hub & you can collect materials, go fishing, capture bugs, add to your town hub, do quests, etc. It's more of an action RPG.

Though Pirate Warriors 2 was rather decent for $12.50 when I got it on PS+. Just be warned for both games, while it doesn't spoil TOO much of the future events (unless you go into the glossary and read up on characters, locations, & such), you will meet characters & visit locations that Toonami hasn't yet.

Ok thanks, I got a big Vita backlog anyways. I might wait for it to go on sale but I love me some rpgs so it sounds like something I would enjoy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ok thanks, I got a big Vita backlog anyways. I might wait for it to go on sale but I love me some rpgs so it sounds like something I would enjoy.
Yeah, you can bring along 2 other crew members and they join you in fights. Off to the side, you have a combo list that causes a "break" (I need to check the OT to see what that does) so it encourages you to switch up your attacks from time to time.

I need to find the two Fullmetal Alchemist PS2 titles. I remember renting the second one for a $1 from my Family Video, but after beating the 2nd or 3rd boss, the game froze right before the cutscene. It was rather decent, especially since I recall some of the people who worked on the Kingdom Hearts games worked on that.

bigkrev

The Musou One Piece game is actually out on Vita in Japan. Import away!

Yeah, you can bring along 2 other crew members and they join you in fights. Off to the side, you have a combo list that causes a "break" (I need to check the OT to see what that does) so it encourages you to switch up your attacks from time to time.

I need to find the two Fullmetal Alchemist PS2 titles. I remember renting the second one for a $1 from my Family Video, but after beating the 2nd or 3rd boss, the game froze right before the cutscene. It was rather decent, especially since I recall some of the people who worked on the Kingdom Hearts games worked on that.

I have the second one. It suffers from the cardinal sin of having "flipped" camera controllers (moving the stick left pans the camera right), with no way to adjust it, thus making the game unplayable.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pirate Warriors 2 is pretty good. Both of them have spoilers though.

Unlimited World Red also has spoilers, but in a more general way. The actual story of every Unlimited game closely resembles those of the non canon movies.

bigkrev

Pirate Warriors 2 is pretty good. Both of them have spoilers though.

Unlimited World Red also has spoilers, but in a more general way. The actual story of every Unlimited game closely resembles those of the non canon movies.

I've played about 2 hours of Pirate Warriros 2. Does it ever explain
Why Ace and Whitebeard are alive?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Largely because it only came out a year later and had what, a quarter of a new arc to cover so they made the story largely non canon. PW1 is the one that follows the manga and will spoil the crap out of you, 2 will just introduce you to a ton of spoil characters and basically does what it wants.

Kick-Heart had a $200,000 budget which seems to be average in terms of what it costs to create one episode of a show. I haven't been able to find specifics on how much a single episode of Dandy costs to produce, but considering animating is the biggest expense and Dandy has some of the best in the business, it's fair to estimate that each one is in the $200K-$300K range.

Once again, the Dandy numbers are just rough guesses on my part, but I'd say the show cost more to produce per episode than Kick-Heart, which sucked btw.

I like how there is a good chance Cowboy Bebop is returning to the block next week and yet we still have no official confirmation (AFAIK) that it's coming, nor is it listed in the OP as an upcoming show :p

I like how there is a good chance Cowboy Bebop is returning to the block next week and yet we still have no official confirmation (AFAIK) that it's coming, nor is it listed in the OP as an upcoming show :p

i'm thinking they went to the trouble of making a promo.

though that also might mean it's in HD despite what they said.

Burning though the 3 episodes of SBT I missed

17 was another ugh episode full of too much teenage drama angst for me to care. I also don't get the point of this random goth girl Lance fought with if he wasn't going to take her to the dance especially when the finale of the episode seemed to be shipping Lance and Lana pretty hard.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kick-Heart had a $200,000 budget which seems to be average in terms of what it costs to create one episode of a show. I haven't been able to find specifics on how much a single episode of Dandy costs to produce, but considering animating is the biggest expense and Dandy has some of the best in the business, it's fair to estimate that each one is in the $200K-$300K range.

Once again, the Dandy numbers are just rough guesses on my part, but I'd say the show cost more to produce per episode than Kick-Heart, which sucked btw.

Kick-Heart had a $200k Kickstarter campaign. That's very different from the budget. For one, that doesn't count the money they took in from PayPal contributions. It also doesn't account for the budget that Production I.G was already giving it before the crowdfunding campaigns. Pre-production was already completely done before the Kickstarter began and production had already commenced based on some of the images in their campaign, meaning I.G had already dumped tens of thousands of dollars into the production at the very least (likely more), not counting any other money they were already willing to commit to the job. My guess is the "true" budget was probably somewhere between $300-500k, for an animation that was less than half the length of a Space Dandy episode.

It's on the schedule for the next two weeks. How much more official would you like?

Burning though the 3 episodes of SBT I missed

17 was another ugh episode full of too much teenage drama angst for me to care. I also don't get the point of this random goth girl Lance fought with if he wasn't going to take her to the dance especially when the finale of the episode seemed to be shipping Lance and Lana pretty hard.

because this was meant to be more than one season

Kick-Heart had a $200k Kickstarter campaign. That's very different from the budget. For one, that doesn't count the money they took in from PayPal contributions. It also doesn't account for the budget that Production I.G was already giving it before the crowdfunding campaigns. Pre-production was already completely done before the Kickstarter began and production had already commenced based on some of the images in their campaign, meaning I.G had already dumped tens of thousands of dollars into the production at the very least (likely more), not counting any other money they were already willing to commit to the job. My guess is the "true" budget was probably somewhere between $300-500k, for an animation that was less than half the length of a Space Dandy episode.

It's on the schedule for the next two weeks. How much more official would you like?

Either on the block for them to say "Bebop returns next week" (which will probably be tonight) or for DeMarco/Toonami Tumblr to say something like "Spike returns on July 26th". Even SBT was officially announced a few weeks before it aired IIRC.

Also my thoughts on Symbiotic Titan 18 are captured in this gif

ib1afEIhd5L5CK.gif

Symbiotic Titan 19

Pretty meh episode until the ending that was pretty exciting and set up a final confrontation between G3 and the US military. Solomon finally ends up being a bro and saving the day.

It's hard to tell if I'm not enjoying this show because I know it's sad fate, or if because it's just an average show with a lot of potential that gets muddied with lots of scenes of angst and high school drama.

Articalys

So in today's episode of Barakamon, whose manga is published by Square Enix under their Gangan label, one character gives another a whole bunch of manga to read for reasons. Guess which two other series from Gangan publications just happened to be prominently featured?

So in today's episode of Barakamon, whose manga is published by Square Enix under their Gangan label, one character gives another a whole bunch of manga to read for reasons. Guess which two other series from Gangan publications just happened to be prominently featured?

Those look strangely familiar.

Good taste confirmed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Symbiotic Titan 19

Pretty meh episode until the ending that was pretty exciting and set up a final confrontation between G3 and the US military. Solomon finally ends up being a bro and saving the day.

It's hard to tell if I'm not enjoying this show because I know it's sad fate, or if because it's just an average show with a lot of potential that gets muddied with lots of scenes of angst and high school drama.

It's the first one. If you look at it as a first season it's pretty good and could easily get way better than it is in following seasons. Even your second choice is a standard first season complaint for shows in this setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom