• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.
zlCfzSL91ygGTu3dxt

zlCfzSMBWgQIA9bHx6

zlCfzSMCNxAmupyBRG

zlCfzSMC_vcqEQiAJf

LATER.
(My sleep over the past 2 days has been a combined 4 hrs. Glad I made it! 6.5 Hr. Challenge COMPLETE!)
Good stuff. Dirty Boots is kinda lame power.
Edit: oh yeah, Mikasa wishes she got what Benny got.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oh man, I woke up late today. Worth it.

Attack on Titan
And thus, the "throw a rock at it" plan begins! Of course it backfires because nothing can go right in a zombie apocalypse.

Bleach
Training training training. These are the lamest Stands ever.
Oh hey the villain shows up. I think it's at this point that Kubo saw the series was ranking really low in Jump so he started speeding up the pace.

Space Dandy
The lesson today kids? Fish are dicks, and you should eat them.
Not the craziest thing Yuasa has done (that still goes to Food Chain), but it was still a joy to watch.

Shippuden
Running... running... running.... Oh Naruto's beating Deidara no wait Substitution Jutsu. The only thing worse than Substitution Jutsu is Talk no Jutsu...

One Piece
And thus the big train journey comes to an end. Are your bodies ready for Enies Lobby? Toonami certainly is with that promo.

Blue Exorcist
SLOW THE FUCK DOWN! This is like 7 episodes of plot shoved into 1.
Who cares at this point, TTGL is coming!

Black Lagoon
And so begins the off-screen antics of Shenhua, Lotton the Wizard and Sawyer.
Also, Benny gets some. Age of the Geek baby!

Beware the Batman
They are not the Joker! Stop trying to make Professor Pyg and Mr. Toad the Joker!
And so next week begins the episodes that didn't air in the US.
What's interesting is that next week's episode was written by Len Wein, the co-creator of Swamp Thing and Wolverine, and a fairly prominent figure in the comic book industry. Can he save this show? Who knows...

Naruto OG or Shippuden.

In Shippuden, Kakashi sucked and Naruto got Gaara's corpse.

In Naruto, Orichimaru touched Naruto in his nono place and knocked him out, Anbu found out the grass village ninja is not who he seems, and Sasuke's Sharingan awakened. This was a low budget episode of Naruto and it looked better than most of Shippuden.

Blue Exorcist. Oh god where to start...*Inhales a big breath* Yukio reveals he is a paladin to Rin, Rin is upset since he wants to be a paladin and Yukio achieved the goal before he did. Totally not Evil Grandpa is assigned as the new Pope and appoints Yukio as the head of Tokyo Branch and starts a campaign to rid the world of all demons called 'Operation Jacobs Ladder'. Yukio asks if Totally not Evil Grandpa plans to eliminate Rin and Totally not Evil Grandpa says through this method they can turn Rin Human again Rin is all like 'Totes' and then Totally not Evil Grandpa shows off his super demon killing weapon he plans to use on Ghenna called 'Messiah' and says he knows of Yukio's 'secret' and Yukio is all like 'not totes man'. This all happens within the first 5 minutes.

*Inhales another big breath*So Yukio starts the extermination and assigns all characters guns because kids with guns YAAAAAY. Unless you are a girl, then you get a bow. The girls raise objections since they summon familiars to aid them in fights and Yukio says they can use tombs instead, they decline *hilarity ensues*. Now armed with guns that can absorb vanquished demon energy, Operation Jacob's ladder begins. Demons are eliminated left and right and a quick montage happens with students noticing a strange symbol appearing in the guns. Yukio executes a forest spirit and cold blood saying it was a demon when Rin hears it just wanted to protect the forests until the exorcists came in and started killing everyone. Rin and Yukio fight about Operation Jacob's Ladder and Yukio is dedicated to the cause and is about to off Rin's cat. Rin is all like 'aw hell naw' and stops him but the fight that ensues leads to Rin seeing a mysterious black spot growing on Yukio's arm and questions him on it. This pisses off Yukio some more and the fight escalates with other paladins joining and and Rin getting KO'ed and captured.

Good news we are at the halfway point! *Inhales another big breath*So Rin is now trapped in Vatican headquarters AKA the Vatican in a cell. There he meets Mephisto. Rin asks Mephisto how he got captured and Mephisto opts to explain that he was a thorn in Totally not Evil Grandpa's side and had to be removed. Using a picture book with drawings worse than Rukia's *hilarity ensues* Mephisto then explains how eyepatch's wife got turned into a zombie and how he originated the research or something. If this explanation makes any sense to anyone then please help me out here because Mephisto never mentioned who turned eyepatch's wife into a zombie or why there were zombies in the first place. Mephisto also never explains how he got captured and opts to instead turn into a dog and (hopefully) depart this awful series for good. Rin has no idea wtf is going on and neither does the audience. So now Rin is being sacrificed to open Ghenna as Totally not Evil Grandpa and Yukio watches on. Yukio is all 'WTF' Totally not Evil Grandpa and Totally not Evil Grandpa responds there was always going to be a sacrifice in order to open Ghenna to destroy the demon menace once and for all. Meanwhile the other students sense something is up by a call from the sword repair girl (I guess?) and go to save Rin or something. Blonde Paladin plans to stop them but Boobs sword comes to stop him an lets the students proceed to try and save Rin. Then the credits roll.

We aren't done yet however! The students arrive but they are too late as Ghenna begins to open up, Rin is on the floor supposedly dead and Yukio is now a demon or something as he shows the blue flames Rin has. TWIIIIIST!

*pants* ok I think I got nearly everything. I know I skimmed over some other stuff but you try and keep up with this episode. It is exhausting. I still don't get half of what happened.

TL;DR: fuck this show.

Well when you put it like that it doesn't sound so bad

:p

Regiruler

Ah, that episode of BE.
Next one is significantly better.

I should rewatch this one to know exactly where you guys are though. This is endgame and I don't want to accidentally spoil anything beforehand.

I don't remember that episode of shippuden. At that point the entire arc is a blur for me.

bigkrev

So, after arriving home at about 12:15 last night (and sadly missing Attack on Titan), I sat down to watch Dandy. I only could take about 6 minutes of it. The animation was headache inducing, and this was one of the more "we're being weird for the sake of being weird!" episodes, which I am either too old or too not stoned to understand. I dozed off, but woke up to watch Blue Exorcist. I'm STILL trying to process what happened. This is multiple volumes worth of content jammed into 22 minutes of breakneck TV that was more reminiscent of the old TNA shows where Vince Russo would write 3 hours of content and compress it down for a 100 minute show.

After that, I thought I was finally ready to try Black Lagoon again. After it destroyed my will to live with the Hanzel and Grettle arc, I had no desire to ever watch the show again. I got 5 minutes in before realizing that I am still not ready to watch this. Maybe next week.

So, based on what I watched, an absolutely terrible week. Maybe next time!

Seda

My guess is Black Lagoon's replacement is going to be GitS S2, maybe something like FLCL.

Space Dandy will probably repeat once it's over, might switch around the lineup though.

Bleach's replacement is obviously likely to be DBZ Kai.

That leaves Attack on Titan's as a big question, if they keep the 11:30 slot.

Batman might rerun too.

789shadow

Banned
My guess is Black Lagoon's replacement is going to be GitS S2, maybe something like FLCL.

Space Dandy will probably repeat once it's over, might switch around the lineup though.

Batman might rerun too.
I hope Attack on Titan's replacement is JoJo

I hope to god Batman doesn't rerun.

Gorillaz

man toonami needs to start at 9pm and repeat everything again at 2am. i ain't got time to stay up and watch everything.

I would definitely like it if it started earlier I was basically sleeping after Beware the Gawdman the anchor of the back of the block

Highlight wise: I missed most of that shit last night because of Destiny but it was basically a night where plot was thrown out the window. When revy shot lotton just because killed me tho.

edit: for real tho that batman shit better not repeat

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Batman might rerun too.
Maybe they'll finally air Final Act haha

Speaking of which, I do wonder if toonami will ever air the new sailor Moon series or the even the redubbed old series. It would be akin to airing Dragonball Z in terms of popularity.

Seda

TL;DR: fuck this show.

Actually, to be frank, watching Blue Exorcist go totally bonkers might be more entertaining than the comparatively only slightly-maladroit handling of a narrative it was trying to tell before.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a good quality - to be trite, like watching a crash.

Batman might rerun too.

i think Black Lagoon is going to be replaced by FLCL and then Space Dandy reruns.

i'll be really surprised if we don't keep 11:30 at this point, with how Black Dynamite and The Boondocks afterwards have been doing.

there's also been some speculation that since Attack on Titan and Blue Exorcist are up on adultswim.com for free or something (don't quote me on that being the reasoning or even true, but it's something like that), they might be rerun once they finish.

ckohler

Attack on Titan - Not a bad episode. A lot of buildup to what was ultimately a "doh!" moment. I'm getting really tired of all the random soldiers crying like babies. Were those guys conscripted or did they join willfully? Because if it was the later then wtf did they expect? I continue to like Pixis for dropping all those truth bombs.

Bleach - We got a bit more Riruka this episode. I agree with her for hating Jackie's Dirty Boots. It's a pretty dumb power. Looking forward to Riruka's eventually battle, however. Oh hey! They're doing another Q/A. These are always laughably tame. Wait...

AtY6yAN.png

.... WE INTERRUPT THIS EPISODE OF BLEACH TO ANNOUNCE THAT ONE OF THE BEST ANIMES OF ALL TIME IS AIRING ON TOONAMI IN JUST FOUR WEEKS! AHH! Seriously guys, you know how much I've been begging this to be on the block. I've been dropping reminders in the past several Q/A sessions. I'm so incredibly psyched! Here's hoping they don't butcher the openings too much and keep those awesome eyecatches! This is going to be a really fun show to watch together. Fast paced, hilarious, over-the-top, and an actual epic ending! Okay, I'll digress now. Back to the Bleach review....

Bleach (cont.) - Something about the big bad not liking vidya games and Ichigo appearing in his Soul Reaper clothes. To be honest, I was too excited about TTGL to even finish the episode.

Space Dandy - I'm not a fan of this director's art style. It's creative, yes, but it's also deliberately sloppy and weird. Things constantly out of proportion for the sake of 'art'. It just looks off putting. Aside from that, it was actually pretty funny. The voice work was great too. Not bad.

Naruto Shippuden - Kakashi uses Photoshop No Jutsu on Handmouth Guy while Naruto starts farting purple Nine-tail Fox stuff. At least we've ended the national crisis that was the Neverending Valley of Fallen Trees. If Naruto transforms into something epic next week, I'll be interested. Knowing this show, they'll drag it out over four episodes.

One Piece - Great episode and ending to the sea train adventure. SniperKing's speech (as usual) is the most heartfelt performance. Loved it. These CP9 guys are crazy OP. I can't imagine how the Straw Hats are going to eventually defeat them. Enies Lobby looks really fun and I'm hyped for this next arc thanks to that sweet promo!

Blue Exorcist - Too much happened to comment on. Raxus' post would do a better job than I ever could. Almost all the characters (aside from Rin, maybe) are acting like totally different people. Yeah, give the girls bows, because girls can't handle guns. Ugh. By the way, did you know you can just fire the Pope and then make yourself the Pope? Pretty cool, huh?

Black Lagoon - Benny and Jane made a love connection. I'm glad Benny finally got to shine and as annoying as Jane can be sometimes, she's just so freaking cute as a button I can't hate her. I was grinning so much when they kissed. The assassins all turned out to be pretty much scrubs compared to Revy and Eda, though. Poor voicebox girl. The best moment of the night (aside from TTGL announcement) was watching The Wizard get one-shotted. So good!

Beware the Toadman - I'm trying really hard not to be a jerk when I say this wasn't a good episode and I can see how it ended the show's run. These villains are just too goofy and they don't even make sense. What the hell is Mr. Toad, anyway? Why can he croak sonic blasts? By the way, did you know Bruce Wayne knows a lot about stuff? Because he does. Just ask him. Oh, and why does dorky boyfriend have green glowing eyes if he's under the control of the League of Assassins? I thought that mind-control villain did that to him two weeks ago?

Naruto - Pretty dope episode aside from the constant DERP eyes. One of the few times Naruto actually is more of a badass than all the other characters. Anytime Kubo's loverboy messiah Sasuke is put down a peg, I'm all on board.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - While watching this episode, I was going to make a comment about how Winry is always wearing really, really short skirts but then I remember this is the one where she utterly breaks down. Too serious an episode to make such a cheeky joke. Also, Scar did some messed up stuff. I mean, I realize he was put through hell, but he's pretty much a mass murderer. Kinda hard to accept he gets redeemed later. The line about Winry's hands only being for giving life, not taking it, was pretty moving.

I bowed out after that as usual. Really great week! In only four weeks, we'll be spinning up those drills! Sorry if I'm being obnoxious with my fanboyism. I'm just so excited. This has been my iPhone wallpaper since January:

EJXdA4u.png

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I gotta agree with Tom that it'll be great to have giant robot action back on the block (excluding SBT).

Also, what are the chances Funimation will do a special edition release for the entire series of Space Dandy? Doesn't seem like you can even pre-order season 1 on DVD/BD yet.

Seda

i think Black Lagoon is going to be replaced by FLCL and then Space Dandy reruns.

i'll be really surprised if we don't keep 11:30 at this point, with how Black Dynamite and The Boondocks afterwards have been doing.

there's also been some speculation that since Attack on Titan and Blue Exorcist are up on adultswim.com for free or something (don't quote me on that being the reasoning or even true, but it's something like that), they might be rerun once they finish.

Adult Swim's site /is/ a little weird with the episode selection. For instance, Attack on Titan has 2-6, 8-11 up. And they also split those into "episodes" and "watch [as]", and the latter isn't even always the most previously aired episodes.

Personally I'm counting down the days until the release of the second part of the Space Dandy OST. That episode last night pushed me over the edge with it's killer tunes.

LOLDSFAN

RIP Gucci.

Also this is out of character for me, but I really hope they air an old show to replace Black Lagoon. This way I can end the night at One Piece and get more sleep. :D

Neoxon

I'm catching up on what I missed last night.

I totally called Demonic Yukio, by the way. Bring on the Blue Night Booty Call.

LOLDSFAN

What happened to him?

Also you'll stay up, watch Gurren Lagaan and LOVE IT. Just like the rest of us.

He talked about Israel and Palestine in a drive by way I guess. That's what the MOD said.

Eh with the semester starting up soon combined with the fact I've already seen it, I'm not sure it'll be worth it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He talked about Israel and Palestine in a drive by way I guess. That's what the MOD said.

Eh with the semester starting up soon combined with the fact I've already seen it, I'm not sure it'll be worth it.

Yea that'll do it, you can't drive by in a thread like that.

B-but the reactions from those who haven't seen it!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Also this is out of character for me, but I really hope they air an old show to replace Black Lagoon. This way I can end the night at One Piece and get more sleep. :D
Gurren Lagann is from 2007, which I'd say is considered old at this point. Heck, it's only 1 year younger than Black Lagoon, which is from 2006.

Hard to say if we'll get two "older" shows in a row at this point. Though hopefully we'll hear what'll be replacing Black Lagoon (if it is being replaced).

Seda

huh, the Toonami getting Gurren Lagann thread was more positive than I expected.

i was anticipating more "lol dubs" and "lol old"

Gorillaz

Seda what have you seen, what are your favorites and what are you interested in?

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I've seen some of the more obvious popular ones like DBZ and Gundam but when I went on a hiatus from Anime I missed a nice amount of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom