• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Seda what have you seen, what are your favorites and what are you interested in?

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I've seen some of the more obvious popular ones like DBZ and Gundam but when I went on a hiatus from Anime I missed a nice amount of stuff.

Somewhat similar. Oddly enough I didn't watch much of OG Toonami. DBZ and Gundam Wing and that was it.

On my own time during undergrad, I watched: G Gundam, Gundam 00, FMA03/FMAB, Trigun, and I marathonned Bleach up to the current airing as well as Naruto until I dropped it a few arcs past where Toonami is.

Other than what has aired on Toonami, that's about it. Because of Toonami, I did 'catch up' on One PIece, Evangelion, and Big O S1.

rock___n_boobs_by_metalhanzo-d4la0mx.png

All aboard the Gurren Lagann "Who the Hell do you think I am?" HYPE TRAIN!!

CHOO-CHOO!!!

Gorillaz

Finding out eda was CIA was probably one of the biggest swerves to me on first watch of black lagoon. I think I zoned out of the show for a few seconds and was kinda stunned
Somewhat similar. Oddly enough I didn't watch much of OG Toonami. DBZ and Gundam Wing and that was it.

On my own time during undergrad, I watched: G Gundam, Gundam 00, FMA03/FMAB, Trigun, and I marathonned Bleach up to the current airing as well as Naruto until I dropped it a few arcs past where Toonami is.

Other than what has aired on Toonami, that's about it. Because of Toonami, I did 'catch up' on One PIece, Evangelion, and Big O S1.
Havent seen eva not a single one, I never finished FAN and I gave up on Naruto early

So most of the block is fresh to me

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Gurren Lagann is pretty much what you would get if you took all the shouting and "humanity is virtually extinct" doomsday stuff from Attack on Titan and made it actually super fucking fun. With giant robots. And less clothing. And sweet shades.

daveo42

Banned
Finding out eda was CIA was probably one of the biggest swerves to me on first watch of black lagoon. I think I zoned out of the show for a few seconds and was kinda stunned

Havent seen eva not a single one, I never finished FAN and I gave up on Naruto early

So most of the block is fresh to me

Well, with the Eda reveal it completely stunned me when cowboy said he'd seen her before. It was such a well executed twist that you almost thought it couldn't be real til she went about explaining the restaurant. Plus the Langley line at the end seals the whole thing just eight.

Makes a good deal of sense she's so chummy with Revy and a few other groups in town.

It is interesting in just how many potential future Toonami members I can glean from this crop of Summer Anime.

Tokyo Ghoul, Tokyo ESP, and Terror in Resonance from Funi, Sailor Moon Crystal from Viz, Aldnoah Zero and SAO s2 from Aniplex, and if they ever start airing Sentai's anime Akame Ga Kill also would be a good candidate.

DominoKid

It is interesting in just how many potential future Toonami members I can glean from this crop of Summer Anime.

i know nothing about the licensing rights, but if we can get 2 of Aldnoah Zero, Akame Ga Kill, Terror in Resonance & Tokyo Ghoul i'd be happy. preferably the first 2 based on the eps so far.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yes, good to see others have seen as well, six series that would fit the parameters of Toonami. I suppose seven if we counted Psycho Pass, but that is a re-edit.

Yes, good to see others have seen as well, six series that would fit the parameters of Toonami. I suppose seven if we counted Psycho Pass, but that is a re-edit.

I assume we'd get the original series and not re-edit, though considering re-edit is just two episodes duck taped together <_<

How is agama ga kill? It looks interesting but if it's super duper fanservice-y..meh

It really isn't that fan service-y, it does have fan service but its generally quick and they don't linger on it. Same with the way it handles its dark/edgy content its there but the series neither blows it out of proportion or gloss over it. Highly recommend great show

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Check out his twitter feed for more context, but

hgIt2dH.png

svA52w5.png

From what I've seen of it, it will definitely need some chopping up. I'd rather they go back into the 2000-2012 range of anime and grab some gems they might have missed, there's a lot of great stuff there that would fit with the block and not require any editing.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Still would be totally OK with Inuyasha and Bebop sharing the "Forever the bookends" spots on Toonami. They're just the perfect wind-down shows for the block.

Well you could have had a fire emblem smash theme :p

Oh man, I miss watching inuyasha at 4/4:30 with toonamigaf.

That definitely could have worked! I was kinda mad at that direct... it rocked, and then all the other fighter news post-Evo just seemed really blah and non-interesting. It got me hyped for fighters again (as if I'm ever not), and then... well... I guess I'll be able to play UNIEL in almost 2 weeks! -_-;

Ahahahah. So many varied jokes, SAB. Great job. I especially love Black Lagoon and Beware the Bitchman's. That SBT one is just a punch to the nuts.

Thanks! Watching Benny just accept Jane's advance felt... REALLY GOOD for this block, and Asian works in general, lol. Especilayy after watching main guy constantly turn down Shu Qi in the Journey to the west movie... Which I watched a night before the topic on it's similarities to Asura popped up, ha. BL and BtB were so perfectly contrasting in their displays of geeky men interacting with females, that's the best thing the show has done to feel like it belongs on the block, lol.

I like the akubox

I have no idea what the X replacement symbol is, lol. Can we get Crytek to make a Jack game? I'm sure that's the best use of their messy company ways ATM...

Great stuff tonight SAB

Gonna sleep, then work, then Monday I'll write up my thoughts on SBT having finally finished it for the first time. I will say it's a show that should have been allowed to continue as it had plenty of interesting ideas for future plot points.

Thanks! I'm a bit surprised at the lack of BEBOP being squeezed in somewhere, too...

Is it odd I feel like I barely every notice *how* Octis got fixed in the last SBT episode? My mind bookmarks it as "Solomon fails, and then... he's back up a bit later for some reason", ha. It is pretty annoying how EVERYTHING hints towards a very interesting future... only for the show to get hard-stopped right there.

Bro. We resume the watch tommorow.

Good job SAB CA.

Merci! IN PGSMC Ep2, I love how Ami instantly becomes a pro at the Sailor V game, then starts talking about how she's not good at ANYTHING else but studying, heh. They proved how being observant ("studying") is a very viable, well rounded skill, only to kick it to "blah and boring" 2 seconds later, lol.

Great stuff SAB. I hear the typing of the character biography in my head ala JoJo.

I don't get the Hey Bey-bee thing sadly.

REVENG! You are such a baka Scar.

Dandy approves of Yoko. He is a slave to the booty.

Reviews tonight and an SBT retrospective.

LATER.

LoL, Glad the STAND profile worked out so well! It's so weird trying to figure out... JOJO style for quick pics like that. I feel like I never do Araki's art any justice, but if I can land the reference well enough for that, it makes me happy, ha. :)

HEY BAY BEE is just a Really lazy MGS-style Codec conversation with NOTacon hitting on Katana. Was channeling Mei-Lings "I can't believe I'm being hit on by the famous Solid Snake!" moment while doing it, lol.

WinWin and Kakashi are normally characters I always respect in each DUMP... I had to have fun at both of their expenses last night, haha. I'd be interesting to see her go utterly crazy... for a little while, anywho. I would have liked to see her wound him in this meeting, only to heal and patch him up later, since her hands are made to give life, not take it...

I get loads and loads of chances to DUMP with Yoko and Kamina! Wohoo! I wonder if Dandy would be put off by Yoko's apparent age? Embrace the dirty old man, if only just this once, Baby! There is nothing bad about this news. Dis gun be phun,

watashi wa benny king desu

And he didn't even have to get maybe drunk to accept it!

The number of times not Sango was in panty shot situations tonight but they didn't show anything was fairly mindblowing. I guess they blew the budget with episode 2.

It was like they just... couldn't do it anymore, ha. I'm sure Benny saw enough for all of us, though.

BTW, great sketch dump.

Gracias! Hope you had a good flight, too.

Good stuff. Dirty Boots is kinda lame power.
Edit: oh yeah, Mikasa wishes she got what Benny got.

Jackie in general just seems like a character that should feel pretty cool... but everything feels just a bit off. Dirty Boots should have this tragic "I get stronger the more I destroy!" feel to it, but it's just so... bleh. It's like she could be cool and unique, but she's just a visual / fight style / trainer archetype replacement while Yoruichi is too busy having fun offscreen with Uruhara or something...

I think if Eren gave Mikasa such equal love, the Titans would be eliminated within a years time. It's so annoying that no matter how great she presents herself as, he really just seems to treat her pretty plainly. I appreciate the fact he's not over-praising her into an early grave, but eesh. It's like watching a bratty child scold their savvy, successful parent. They've done too much for you to treat them so badly...

So I wasn't the only one who noticed it looked kind of awkward seeing Naruto hold Kakashi like that. :p

"Naruto-Kun, Taskite! NarutoA is scaring me!" I like how neither of them thought the Rasengan that leaves a cavity where ones heart should be wasn't overkill or anything, hehe. No pleas to hold back, no "You're KILLING HIM!" just.... keep going...

Where are sab's post art comments, the weekend feels incomplete.

Hope I helped rectify that now! ;) All the pieces have to be in place, eh? Now we can get on with our lives!

RIP Gucci.

Also this is out of character for me, but I really hope they air an old show to replace Black Lagoon. This way I can end the night at One Piece and get more sleep. :D

I think Guuci just likes to be the groups renegade. You can't get Yusuke and Kuwabara to lift soda cups like that without some kind of dangerous streak!

I dunno what I want to replace Lagoon. Anything should pair up with Batman better than it.. What holder show would actually fit into that slot, and make it work? Darker than Black? Big O S1?

EDA'S CIA!!!!

OH SHIT!!!!

I,,,, really don't care much for Eda, and the CIA part just falls kinda flat for me, as it kinda makes her feel like she trys too hard to come off as truly "evil" in a way? My line of thinking was "Yay, they're trying to make me care about the character I care the least about in this show!" I do look forward to her development some, at least.

------

At the end of the Titan episode, when I first saw it, it made me wonder if Eren took his anger with Mikasa into his primal Titan form, thus making him act out singlemindedly once transformed. It'd be a nice hint towards how he could "Steer" the Titan to do specific objectives, even if he were to lose direct Control. Rico's running stance was so... stiff and proper. Feels like stealth trolling somehow. Maybe it reminds me of how Dan runs in SFIV?

I kinda liked Blueno mentioning he sympathized with Robin's issues. Not like it means much, but SHEE PEEE NIIINU has been so de-humanized constantly, that it feels good to see some admittance of having human feelings.

Blue Ex... hmm... I was drawing Yoko during that, kinda. Yuki's turn from "Ok bro, I'm sorry, I understand your feelings!" to " I WANNA SHOOT YO KAT DEAD IN THE FACE!" shift within the same episode felt... really odd.

I kinda wish Magician guy in Lagoon was instantly killed by Revy's shot. Chinglish Survival feels like generic anime plot armor. As hard as our main killing ladies speak, it feels so odd when none of them can ever kill each other in a way. Benny didn't know Indian was on the Menu tonight, but I'm sure he's happy with the choice. Good fortune indeed. Flame thrower guy felt like a reject from King of the Hill or something found his way into anime, decided to make the most of it.

This Batman episode was the only once I saw most of before it disappeared from the air! Katana kinda sucks when she opens her mouth. I feel like she should be lending a bit to the "Badass women of Toonami" ideal in theory, but instead, she somehow works out to be a lame, non-funny sidekick of meh personality. I WANT to like her, but she just feels misused.

Jack as a stealth promotional Tie-In with 300? Sure, why not!

Chu-whats-her-name on Clone Wars is really Kawaii. I feel like the shows style works best for me when it's rendering original-ish young female characters, Anything past that is more hit-or-miss.

Personally, I'll probably get to appreciate Jack more with it ending the Block now. It's former place had it at "Crap, I wanna watch, but There's barely an hour to complete all the rest of these pics!" time, heh heh. Now I should be able to finish, Format, and straight enjoy the last few minutes, at least.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I find it more strange that they still have not put KLK under the microscope at all, which means eidted or not it is still not coming for awhile.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I find it more strange that they still have not put KLK under the microscope at all, which means eidted or not it is still not coming for awhile.

They've probably seen clips here and there that put them on the fence. On one hand people are asking for it, on the other who knows how much they can get away with and if edits will even play well. Odds are they won't think about it seriously unless they're given a great deal and have nothing else they want to show. There's still plenty of stuff out there for them to show that wouldn't require them to think about editing down at all.

Pretty much

Its going to need some work in editing. So it will basically come down to is the work worth the investment

I think unless Anipex is willing to either give it away dirt cheap or do the edit themselves for free, that we don't see it. It's just too much trouble otherwise.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wonder if Aniplex would use it as marketing for the DVDs once they release more of them. I recall (though correct me on this if I'm wrong) SAO already had its first season on DVD when it was on Toonami.

Heck, we don't know if they're even done dubbing the series yet. Only Volume 1 is out (heck, it JUST came out July 15th) & that only has episodes 1 through 4.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I wonder if Aniplex would use it as marketing for the DVDs once they release more of them. I recall (though correct me on this if I'm wrong) SAO already had its first season on DVD when it was on Toonami.

Heck, we don't know if they're even done dubbing the series yet. Only Volume 1 is out (heck, it JUST came out July 15th) & that only has episodes 1 through 4.

Four episodes in a volume? What the fucking shit? Funimation does like 11 episodes for one volume of One Piece and it's like 30 bucks on their site.

Seda

I enjoy being introduced to whatever shows they decide on, regardless of age (I do think some are too preoccupied with 'newness'). Even the bad shows are tolerable when we can complain or poke fun together.

Happy to get to watch Gurren Lagann with you folks.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

The Toonami airing acted like a preview for the first volume of SAO and the rest of it was released during its run

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The Toonami airing acted like a preview for the first volume of SAO and the rest of it was released during its run
Hmmm, so I assume Aniplex planned it so people would get interested in the series and discover the DVDs were still coming out. In any case, I could see them doing the same for Kill La Kill, especially if there was commercials for the DVD/BD and Special Editions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom