• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul14| One pissed off Luffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBboy20

I am in San Diego right now but given how busy a Saturday night can be (my first 10 hours last night was some of the best I've ever had), I maybe missing out on the following Toonami nights untill I come home. So far, this city rules.

Raxus

Sorry Mike for missing the block again. Brother came over and the day went surprisingly long.

Anyways, episode reviews and rankings!

Attack on Titan
Man this show drags to a halt in its middle half. The whole episode is Pixis (who is great) shouting on top of a wall. Armin is now full strategist mode and we meet more soon to (likely) be dead people. Okay episode thanks to Pixis. Next episode looks more promising.

Bleach
Nice to see pacing pick back up as Ichigo's power begins to grow and enemies begin to move in significant ways. Considering we have 15 episodes left we have a lot of ground to cover to reach the end of the arc. Here is hoping last week's episode is an anomaly. The only thing bogging down this episode is how stupid the STANDFullbring Dirty Boots is. Kubo has this nasty habit of recreating particular characters again and again.

Space Dandy

Delightfully weird, I know kickheart artists style isn't everyone's cup of tea but riding the wave sequence was GORGEOUS, and the valley girl and surfer fish culture was hilarious to me. All in all it gelled better than last week's episode and it was pretty to look at.

Shippuden
END! END! Kakashi shows off how awful he is at his new power because writing demands it, we team BBPGuy catching up and Sakura enters the ENDLESS CANYON. I just want to reach the next big moment and move on to the next awful, awful arc.

One Piece
Believe in Luffy. Enies Lobby is such a cool location to have a final arc. That preview, umph, so good. Not much to say since this is mostly a conclusion of the Puffing Tom arc to Enies Lobby so everything was streamlined and I already mention plenty of times how great Sonny Strait's(thanks Mike) Usopp is in these scenes. Hope you guys are ready to experience this BRAND NEW WORLD.

Blue Exorcist
WTF. I am glad Bass quoted me because I didn't want to quote myself for a new page but this episode melted my brain in a bad way. When Space Dandy's plant episode makes more sense than you know you have a problem. WAAAAAY too much plot in a single episode and some characters show up JUST to give exposition and leave. Why didn't they space this out? Easily the worst episode of the night.

Black Lagoon
A decent end to my least favorite arc on BL. It still has some great moments like Jane's kiss and the pyro becoming ROCKET MAN. I am actually surprised how many characters lived considering the circumstances. Eda being CIA is a great bombshell, too bad most people mentioned we will not explore that connection in the anime and it is only touched on in the OVAs. The Wizard was a great two second cameo. I hope there is more of him in the series/manga. In fact, make Changlish and Wizard a spin off. I'd watch it. I am getting really frustrated with how useless Rock has become. Where is that big balls Rock I used to know?

Beware the Batman
Pyg and Toad are easily the worst villains they brought back into their show. Their crimes are childish and stupids and their ways of executing them are needlessly convoluted. These two seem like goons Joker would shoot in the face for a laugh. Even showing two hours late to a ticking timebomb, Katana and Batman still manage to diffuse it. Katana is proving much more useful than Batman despite Bruce Wayne knowing fashion and yachts. It is so weird seeing Batman job so hard to such obvious attacks. It's like he never learns. Overall a bad episode but saved from the bottom thanks to how awful Blue Exorcist was.

Samurai Jack

Contender for episode of the night. Badass action from start to finish and that ending shot! You'd think the King would have stayed behind to look for his friend/his sword.

Clone Wars
Another decent episode considering how lite it was on main characters. Blue dad is the best. Go home and be a family man Greedo.

Symbionic Titan RETROSPECTIVE
I am sure I've done this before but it bears repeating. I love Symbionic Titan warts in all. It was a Genny show with a progressive plot unlike Jack's endless quest to stop Aku and it moved a decent pace. Characters grew as we got to know them and we began to understand their flaws through the always delightful backstory episodes. Considering the show was originally conceived as a robot learning to become human, it was always going to focus on Octus on the first season. The only character short changed for development was Illana who would have likely got something if they got a second season. Titan was great and the action was always well directed especially the New Age Love Song sequence. High schoolers (mostly) acted like high schoolers and the effects of most of the invading aliens could be felt around the city. It was those neat little touches that made me love this show. So many interesting story threads will never be realized since it never got a second season. Why did the general betray everyone, what happened to Lance's dad, what is Octus? It is such a shame this show didn't get a little more love and care that it so desperately deserves.

I am sorry if it was kind of a mess. I love to discuss SBT and debate others on its merits and demerits (elephant logic, I am looking at you). Mostly it is nice having a giant robot show on the block. Toonami will feel weird without one until TTGL arrives. I hope Megas XLR makes its way on the block as well.

Enough reminiscing RANKINGS!

Space Dandy
Samurai Jack
Black Lagoon
One Piece
Clone Wars
Bleach
Attack on Titan
Shippuden
Beware the Katana
Blue OMGWHATISGOINGON

Pouring one out for SBT. You are likely not coming back to the block but it was fun while it lasted.

Gorillaz

Nah Rock basically "got" Revy after that moment seeing how nobody else stood up/handled her like that besides Dutch (who as her employer wasn't gonna let that shit fly). She becomes alot more overprotective and territorial (when other chicks come around) after that. Pretty sure if can get to third base if he wanted too or already has.

Side note glad to see GL on the block, it feels like it would be a good opening, something around the 1130 to 1230 time slot.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Rock's big balls come back with a vengeance in the next arc, don't you worry. They get even bigger the arc after that, but we won't get to see that arc. :(

Hey man sometimes a mission just doesn't use Rock's particular skillset. it happens!

Yea, sometimes Revvy alone is enough.

MikeMyers

Its okay, the finale is next Sunday though, so you might want to try to make it.

Sunny Vale though? I thought Usopp's English voice was by Sonny Strait?

Nah Rock basically "got" Revy after that moment seeing how nobody else stood up/handled her like that besides Dutch (who as her employer wasn't gonna let that shit fly). She becomes alot more overprotective and territorial (when other chicks come around) after that. Pretty sure if can get to third base if he wanted too or already has.

Side note glad to see GL on the block, it feels like it would be a good opening, something around the 1130 to 1230 time slot.

Sadly the aniplex slot for better or worse will always be 1:30-2:30 depending on the big shonen shows above it. Plus being later in the night might help them get away with more of the t&a scenes

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 21:

I actually still kind of remember this episode from way back in the day and it is nice to see it in unaltered form. Indeed this one is just dripping with meta-textual commentary since it is an episode featuring the creation of a Sailor Moon V anime. The plot of the week is pretty standard but in general I like Nephrite's tactics more then Jadeite since Maxfield tends to prey on the negative emotions of others. I will say the battle was down right inexplicable in its ending, like they wrote themselves into a corner and had to pull out some bullshit in order to have the Scouts win the day. Overall, it is a good episode that is worth watching.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 22

Well now, this was an unexpectedly important episode as it actually advanced the main plot and several sub-plots at once.
Indeed, from little things like Nephrite getting more desperate and the first appearance of Kunite as well as FINALLY the unfiltered relationship shall be broadcasted between him and the male Zoycite. Indeed, this episode also advanced the Naru-Nephrite and Uasgi-Mamoru relationships as well as bringing the silver crystal and princess hunt back into focus and giving us the first true portents of the the past selves.
All that being said, in spite of how important this episode was, I liked it less the previous one, mainly because most of the romantic entanglements bored the shit out of me as right now it is more about the romantic ideal of romance then anything of actual substance. Still, highest recommendations for all of the plot details alone.

So its safe to assume SAO s2 will air on the block next year, it probably won't be Gurren Lagann's replacement as that would be too soon after it finished airing in Japan and Aniplex has never been a dub quick company. I imagine it'll be the replacement show after whatever takes over after GL.

LOLDSFAN

7/26 LINE UP
Attack on Titan - 11:30p
Bleach - 12:00a
Space Dandy World Premiere - 12:30a
Naruto: Shippuden - 1:00a
One Piece - 1:30a
Blue Exorcist - 2:00a
Beware the Batman - 2:30a
Black Lagoon - 3:00a
Uncut Naruto - 3:30a
FMA: Brotherhood - 4:00a
Cowboy Bebop - 4:30a
Star Wars the Clone Wars - 5:00a
Samurai Jack - 5:30a

Cowboy Bebop confirmed.

Seda

Was Jack at the end of the block previously part of a rumor or actually announced by Demarco? Either way that is really late/early.

Well, this schedule was leaked a while back, and then it was on the official schedule despite no announcement, and now here's an announcement.

Gorillaz

Sadly the aniplex slot for better or worse will always be 1:30-2:30 depending on the big shonen shows above it. Plus being later in the night might help them get away with more of the t&a scenes
Damn. Well I guess it would be the 2 or 230 spot then. Would have made a good opening but it is what it is

daveo42

Banned
Only for a month, then GL will save us. Supposedly BtB gets a lot better in the episodes that didn't air in the US for what its worth

I'll believe it when I see it. GL will make for an awesome power hour right near the middle of the block with OP just now hitting Enies Lobby.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'll believe it when I see it. GL will make for an awesome power hour right near the middle of the block with OP just now hitting Enies Lobby.

One Piece into Gurren Lagann would be absolutely godly. The sheer bravado would make people's heads explode.

Seda

Only for a month, then GL will save us. Supposedly BtB gets a lot better in the episodes that didn't air in the US for what its worth

I don't typically read reviews for shows but I stumbled across this IGN one. (author is Cliff Wheatly, unfamiliar with him)
It was for the 13 episode DVD release, which includes two episodes that didn't air initially.

snippets

The first few episodes of the series are a bit bland, particularly when compared to the last twenty years of consistently amazing Batman animation. The CGI is stilted and sterile at times, and it gives the impression that Gotham City is the least populated metropolis in history.

No disagreements here

Where the animation does succeed, however, is in action sequences. The fluidity of combat is amazing to watch, it’s just that when things slow down for character development, the characters suddenly become mannequins.

Eh, I feel like the weight in motion in the combat scenes is awkward. Sometimes people fly like ragdolls or drop unfeasibly quickly.

The real showcase of the set is “Toxic,” an emotional high for the series that finds Batman squaring off with the misunderstood Metamorpho. This is the real turning point for the series, progressing itself toward the sort of mature storytelling that Batman: The Animated Series has become so beloved for. From this episode on, the series starts to build upon itself in a significant way, ultimately revealing a larger season arc involving Lady Shiva and Ra’s al Ghul. Unfortunately, this arc isn’t resolved.

Sure, a larger story arc is manifesting, but it's still full of silly character interaction, characters making dumb decisions (and not just occasionally), and contrived resolutions. I think most of us who are watching would agree.

If you can get past the initial shock of the aesthetic changes in animation and the slow burn nature of the character relationships, Beware the Batman is a very entertaining glimpse into a potentially fantastic show loaded with potential. Here’s hoping it gets a chance to live and make good on that potential.

no comment

Seda

I'm curious, who else besides me hasn't seen Gurren Lagann?

Seems like DeMarco is getting a bit of flak for airing an 'old' show that 'all but five people' have seen. As someone who has played more PSX/PS2 games in the last 3 years than anything else (as an example), I never truly care about how 'new' something is. Now I know he always gets complaints but it prompted my curiosity.

I know some of you guys are the hardcorest of anime/cartoon fans but I was wondering who I'm sharing this newbie boat with.

Moaradin

Why do people even care that Gurren Lagann is an older show? The damn show had a huge budget and looks better than 99% of anime today. Unless someone was told it came out 7 years ago, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The Blu Rays just recently came out and they look amazing too. Can't wait to see the show in HD.

I'm curious, who else besides me hasn't seen Gurren Lagann?

Seems like DeMarco is getting a bit of flak for airing an 'old' show that 'all but five people' have seen. As someone who has played more PSX/PS2 games in the last 3 years than anything else (as an example), I never truly care about how 'new' something is. Now I know he always gets complaints but it prompted my curiosity.

I know some of you guys are the hardcorest of anime/cartoon fans but I was wondering who I'm sharing this newbie boat with.

i've seen 5 episodes or so and know a little bit of what happens in the first 10 or so episodes but that's about it.

i wonder if the people complaining have considered that Gurren Lagann is old for a reason; Attack on Titan and DBZ Kai probably didn't come cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom