• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul15| Sentai finally noticed us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puruzi

Banned
8jn9oKs.gif

??

R5K0Q.gif

that but with ban I think

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
One of these days, I WILL play that copy of 999 I bought & then I can figure out how it ties to VLR.

....then I'll finally be caught up for when ZE3 is out........Z3RO 3SCAPE.

bigkrev

I really liked 999. I bought VLR the day it came out, and played for a couple of hours, and haven't gone back since. It was not doing a good job keeping me interested.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Recommending DR to this thread in particular isn't a bad idea per se. The game is ANIME AS FUCK and has a bomb ass dub. It's just that 999 and VLR are far better games.

DR is basically SAO while the ZE series is...I dunno. Paranoia Agent? Nah, too artsy. Cowboy Bebop? Nah, not serious enough. Something really good.

Not that ZE isn't anime as fuck either. Especially VLR, which is kinda like Code Geass Season 2, only if it still ruled at the end of the day. A calculated tonal change but one that didn't ruin the series this time.

Soulflarz

Banned
narrative is overrated

Yeah, until you experience 999!

And yeah, DR is basically a pretty standard anime that pulled it off well.
999? That twist is ridiculous. The plot is great too. You can tell there was a lot of preparation done to get to the point of 999s story. Theres a reason I won't shut up about it day after day since I played it.

Soulflarz

Banned
AA2 is considered mediocre when compared to 1/3/5. The last case was fun though! Just not worth playing the other 3 to get there, some would argue.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I hate using the term underrated but I do feel that way about Justice for All, aka PW 2. The first two cases are actually pretty neat, the third case, while reviled by most, has some interesting bits and the final case is among the best in the series.

Raxus

Sigh. I really need to play VLR.

Phoenix Wright's games are consistently good but I am a huge fan of 1,3 and 5

2 definitely has the best last case in the series.

AAI's last case is so of the rails it's hilarious.

Crocodile

If you're not too pressed for spoilers, can you play PW 5 without playing PW 4 or do you like need to play PW 4 to fully appreciate PW 5?

If you're not too pressed for spoilers, can you play PW 5 without playing PW 4 or do you like need to play PW 4 to fully appreciate PW 5?

You don't need to play Apollo Justice. The fifth game doesn't follow up on any of the plot hooks from the ending of the fourth game anyway. All you need to know is that Phoenix Wright had been stripped of his attorney's badge before the events of the fourth game, but he gets it back for the fifth. He also adopts a daughter.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
4, is, in fact, really skippable.

All you need to know is this. Apollo Justice was Phoenix's protege...kinda by accident.

also AA4 spoilers
Phoenix lost his law license before AA4 and got it back in between 4 and 5.

JCG

Not that ZE isn't anime as fuck either. Especially VLR, which is kinda like Code Geass Season 2, only if it still ruled at the end of the day. A calculated tonal change but one that didn't ruin the series this time.

I would literally argue CG S2 ruled at the end of the day, precisely because the ending works out. I'd take that over other anime (and games) which finish in far worse ways.

Soulflarz

Banned
Playing Time & Eternity and

You know how we find that Cristina Vee and Christine Marie Cabanos sound similar?

WHO PUT THEM IN THE SAME CAST ;-;

Why would you do that?

Phoenix Wright > Zero Escape >>> Danganronpa

Danganronpa has both the worst story of the 3 and the worst gameplay of the 3. Its not bad by any stretch of the imagination and I'd recommend anyone play it, but the only area I feel the game truly excels in is the music.

Soulflarz

Banned
Phoenix Wright > Zero Escape >>> Danganronpa

Danganronpa has both the worst story of the 3 and the worst gameplay of the 3. Its not bad by any stretch of the imagination and I'd recommend anyone play it, but the only area I feel the game truly excels in is the music.

Except ZE>PW

I dunno, I enjoy the crazy twists to ZE more than PW. ZE does have lower lows than PW, and Phoenix Wright has Phoenix in it, so any argument against that is kind of null.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
He's pretty god damn amazing in DR2.
Seriously. The guy CAN act, and his performance in DR2 is amazing, easily his best. He just needs a good script & direction. But sadly, he tends to just be put into the roles of anime that we tend to not care for. A shame when you know there's a talented VA but is stuck with having to play a character that isn't great or stuck in an anime that drowns his performance out by how bad everything else is.

...Zonic, please don't tell me you played VLR before playing 999. Lie to me if you have to.

W4XVjeR.gif
Yeaaaaaah, I remember unable to find a copy of 999 for a while or it wasn't in my price range, then about last year, I saw a $20 copy and figured that was low enough for a game I couldn't really find. Also when it came out, I really wasn't big on online shopping yet.

I think I just got VLR on a whim for the watch and considering I had liked the Ace Attorney trilogy, I figured it was time to "expand" and see what the deal was about.

I just hope ZE3 doesn't have those awkward "CGI" shots where it switches from the character models to "stills" because they looked aawwwffuullll at times.

Grexeno

Seriously. The guy CAN act, and his performance in DR2 is amazing, easily his best. He just needs a good script & direction. But sadly, he tends to just be put into the roles of anime that we tend to not care for. A shame when you know there's a talented VA but is stuck with having to play a character that isn't great or stuck in an anime that drowns his performance out by how bad everything else is.
Papenbrook's normal speaking voice sounds like Generic Anime Hero, so naturally he gets typecast into that role basically all the time.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Watching some old Kai clips on YouTube...
I know it's wrong to miss Yamamoto's OST since he got caught stealing, but god damn his work made the scenes stand out. The original DBZ soundtrack just doesn't have the same gusto.

I have heard Kai Buu Saga has all new music so hopefully that's good.

Watching some old Kai clips on YouTube...
I know it's wrong to miss Yamamoto's OST since he got caught stealing, but god damn his work made the scenes stand out. The original DBZ soundtrack just doesn't have the same gusto.

I have heard Kai Buu Saga has all new music so hopefully that's good.

Still find it interesting how FUNi still has the Yamamoto masters. Let us pay our respects to their fuckup on the first episode that aired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom